Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2012, 19:31   #196
BHPian

Re: Land Rover support group!

Though I have been on Team BHP for quite a while I have come across this forum only today. I am glad to see that there are so many knoweledgable guys here. I want to know1] what engine and gear box I can use in my Landy.[a 1957 109] I have the body, running gear wheels etc but no engine/gearbox.Was thinking of a Mahindra Turbo Di engine and 4 wheel drive G/b and forsee only the problem of having to align the out put shaft with the diff [rear] even problem is not too great as to be insumountable. But does anybody have any other ideas or infomation??? experiences??? that they can share with me?? As I am a "newbi" cant get in touch with anybody directly. but would be most apperciative of any advice info you guys can pass on.
Old 8th September 2012, 22:14   #197
BHPian

Friends,

Thank you all from saving me from doing cut & paste job in the past on a LR.
I still remember the advice from Sudarshan - "perfect recipe to get ripped & the mech getting rich". Thank god i dint go ahead.
Post that more regret for missing out on picking up a LR due to personal problems which my good friend Shiva had informed me of & the info came from a very well known person our forum & this thread here.
Well its been a while since then & more, things have moved on. I bid good bye to my first 4 wheeler the Willys.

Am back again now hopefully to have this beauty home however not before all you experts give a green signal to the green one :-)

Its a LR Series II not sure if its a II or IIA. Its a 109" Pickup / Crew-cab.

Here are some details before the pictures -
1. The engine has been replaced from a TT
2. The owner says 4x4 shaft is removed but is available.
3. Was used in the Farm.
4. Quoted 3L.

I see that the door handles are not in line from other Series vehicles i have come across apart from that i really couldn't figure out much so you know my knowledge levels.

Finally
1. Should i pick this vehicle ? (Knowing the dearth for LR's)
2. Is the price right ? (Of course anything lower & it would make all of us happy :-))
3. What might be the costs involved to bring it back to shape as i see it rusting in a few places surprisingly being an aluminum body.
4. I know getting a old LR diesel engine is not easy however if i were to look out for a decent one how much would it approximately cost.
5. If the gear box is not original will i be able to source one here in India.

Looking forward to hear back from all the gurus with eyes wide open :-)
Well last but not the least - If any of you have a better option for me Pleaseeee do help.

Regards,
Kumar
capturekumar@yahoo.com
Attached Thumbnails
Land Rover support group!-photo_001.jpg  

Land Rover support group!-photo_003.jpg  

Land Rover support group!-photo.jpg  

catchkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2012, 23:31   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchkumar View Post
Friends,

Thank you all from saving me from doing cut & paste job in the past on a LR.
3. Was used in the Farm.
4. Quoted 3L.
what is a TT. ?

what gearbox it is using.

as far as i know. you cannot mate LR gearbox with any puny engines. LR gearbox is the biggest than most of the smaller 4x4.

price is good though.
Old 9th September 2012, 12:49   #199
BHPian

Series II Land Rover Pickup

Quote:
Friends,

Looking forward to hear back from all the gurus with eyes wide open :-)
Well last but not the least - If any of you have a better option for me Pleaseeee do help.

Regards,
Kumar
capturekumar@yahoo.com
I am no Guru, but certainly this Series II Land Rover Pickup is rare enough to pick it up. The Price is Great! (In current context). You can find engine & Gearbox if you try enough, till then you can enjoy as it is now.

Beware Engine + Gearbox and the installation cost could go upto 30-40% above this insvestment & some very hard work.

But, someone said "Nothing ever comes to one, that is worth having, except as a result of hard work. "

regards

-invinci
invinci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2012, 16:37   #200
BHPian

Re: Series II Land Rover Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
what is a TT. ?

what gearbox it is using.

as far as i know. you cannot mate LR gearbox with any puny engines. LR gearbox is the biggest than most of the smaller 4x4.

price is good though.
Thank you, Sir Alec for your time
The Owner said gear box is original sir.
TT is the Tempo Traveler from Force motors.
I have asked for interior pictures, hope that will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invinci View Post
I am no Guru, but certainly this Series II Land Rover Pickup is rare enough to pick it up. The Price is Great! (In current context). You can find engine & Gearbox if you try enough, till then you can enjoy as it is now.

Beware Engine + Gearbox and the installation cost could go upto 30-40% above this insvestment & some very hard work.

But, someone said "Nothing ever comes to one, that is worth having, except as a result of hard work. "

regards

-invinci
Thanks for your advice Invinci.
Will keep you all updated as soon as i hear back from the owner with pictures.

Regards,
Kumar
Old 14th September 2012, 08:50   #201
BANNED

Quote:
3. Was used in the Farm.
4. Quoted 3L.

I see that the door handles are not in line from other Series vehicles i have come across apart from that i really couldn't figure out much so you know my knowledge levels.

Finally
1. Should i pick this vehicle ? (Knowing the dearth for LR's)
2. Is the price right ? (Of course anything lower & it would make all of us happy :-))
3. What might be the costs involved to bring it back to shape as i see it rusting in a few places surprisingly being an aluminum body.
4. I know getting a old LR diesel engine is not easy however if i were to look out for a decent one how much would it approximately cost.
5. If the gear box is not original will i be able to source one here in India.
First Impressions
1) as Invinci has said this body type is Rare , so looks good as a deal

2) If paper work is OK then the desirable price tag is 2 lakhs ,as it lacks original engine

3) the OM 616 (TT engine ) not a good Idea ,WRT
a) Originality aspect
b) 4X4 Functionality ( the Sump gets in way )

4) Well used example , but looks its been prepared for sale ( the makeup ) ,expect a lot of body work

Most Important Check the chassis thoroughly for Rust with the vehicle lifted on the ramp & you armed with an inspection lamp & a Screw driver to poke scratch the suspected places . The Landy has a box chassis Virtually Impossible to repair , particularly for rust ,In Indian scenario
I personally know couple of otherwise good examples being scrapped for this reason

well I was trying to compile a short & simple answer for the many difficult questions you have asked . Actually you represent a Number of Land Rover aspirants , you have a question list that represents the common doubts .

So here it is [ Disclaimer : I am not a Guru ]

What exactly you want from a Land Rover

1) Do you want it to be a daily drive ? ; It can be , like mine , but depends on how much you invest ( not only money but Mind first ) . It will test your patience .
If you ask my frank opinion Its not an easy daily driver to maintain like a Jeep ( whose parts are very easily available )

Difficulties

a) Parts are not easy to get

b) You will need a Mech who has a Basic Understanding of Automobile Principles

c) If not DIY it will cost you more than I or you can Imagine

2) Do you want it to be a Show piece ; then its probably easy , get good paint & Upholstery done & Sort out the mechanicals in your own sweet time

3) How far you are a Fan of originality ( Including Parts & the 4x4 working ) ? ; well in this case if you are , its going to cost you much

a) Firstly you will need a Land Rover engine , the total cost of such unit ( Including overhaul ) can cost you up to 125 K

b) getting the right accessories & fittings ( most probably Importing ) -another 50 K

To be continued

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 21:43   #202
Senior - BHPian

The most detailed series 1 restoration thread!

Guys, you've got to check out this thread. Has to be the most detailed, picture-by-picture restoration I've ever seen. And its a Land Rover Series 1!

http://forum.le-temps-des-series.com...hp?f=9&t=21109
predatorwheelz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2012, 23:23   #203

Hi Guys,

I have been looking or a landie for quite a while. Recently I have come across a Series II/IIA landie.

Sadly though the original petrol head has been removed and it has been replaced by a trax engine. Now I have a couple of questions:

I was thinking of importing a second hand 2.5TDI engine from UK. Came across plenty of them on Ebay. Now my preliminary research suggests that it would fit in well but I look forward to your inputs.

From where can I source the LT77 5-speed transmission ??

Any work shops you suggest in an around Chandigarh where I can get the work done?

What are the other minute things I need to look into while going for an old landie?

I look forward to your responses.
Old 21st October 2012, 13:52   #204
Senior - BHPian

Winston Churchill's Land Rover sells for £129,000

I read about this on the BBC News website, thought I'd share it. Also appeared in todays TOI

A Land Rover built for Winston Churchill's 80th birthday has sold at auction in Cambridgeshire for £129,000 - more than twice its estimate. The vehicle, which had been modified to enable him to be chauffeur-driven around his Chartwell estate in Kent, was expected to fetch up to £60,000. It was sold with the original logbook registering it to Churchill to a bidder who wished to remain anonymous. The previous owner had kept it in a shed in Kent since 1977. (more than 30 years)

The original buff logbook shows that the 1954 Series 1 Land Rover was registered as UKE 80 in the name of the "Rt Hon Sir Winston Spencer Churchill KG. OM. CH. MP. Chartwell, Westerham, Kent". It was especially modified for him with an extra-wide passenger seat and heated footwell.

It became the property of his son-in-law, the Rt Hon A C Soames CBE, MP a few months after Churchill's death in January 1965. It was later purchased in a sale of farm equipment in 1973 for £160 and was sold on-the-spot for twice the price.

The new owner used it to transport a horse box for a number of years before it was consigned to a shed in 1977. In the intervening years it has only been taken out to charity events in the Kent area.

Cheffins auctioneers said the vehicle, which had 12,932 miles (20,812km) on the clock, was the most expensive item in its auction of more than 2,000 vintage vehicles.
Attached Thumbnails
Land Rover support group!-winston-churchills-land-rover-uke-80.jpg  

deutscheafrikar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 14:13   #205
BANNED

have found this on Net , about buying Land Rovers
please check if its worth

Buying-Guide.pdf

Sudarshan
Old 14th November 2012, 12:35   #206
BHPian

I don't know if this has been posted anywhere in the forum here, before; if so, this post may be deleted. On a recent trip past Mussoorie, I came across this Landy. It's probably a Series IIa, 88 (SWB), that the gurus can tell us more about. The owners weren't around, as it was very early in the morning when we were driving past, but an early riser in the neighbourhood said that underneath, from the powertrain to the rolling suspension it was all Gypsy now!
Attached Thumbnails
Land Rover support group!-land-rover-iia-swb-88-mussorie-front.jpg  

Land Rover support group!-land-rover-iia-swb-88-mussorie-rear.jpg  

Prabal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 12:58   #207
BHPian

From what can be seen of the chassis and the wheelbase/track I think that what you were told is most likely to be true.
Though why anybody would something like that is beyond my comprehension!!
Old 14th November 2012, 13:02   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
Though I have been on Team BHP for quite a while I have come across this forum only today. I am glad to see that there are so many knoweledgable guys here. I want to know1] what engine and gear box I can use in my Landy.[a 1957 109] I have the body, running gear wheels etc but no engine/gearbox.Was thinking of a Mahindra Turbo Di engine and 4 wheel drive G/b and forsee only the problem of having to align the out put shaft with the diff [rear] even problem is not too great as to be insumountable. But does anybody have any other ideas or infomation??? experiences??? that they can share with me?? As I am a "newbi" cant get in touch with anybody directly. but would be most apperciative of any advice info you guys can pass on.
I had posted the quoted mail some time ago but have not had any response. Come on all you Landy gurus...do give me some ideas, oh ya, and by the way my status has changed it the elapsed time !!

Last edited by Collector : 14th November 2012 at 13:05.
Old 14th November 2012, 21:14   #209
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
I came across this Landy. It's probably a Series IIa, 88 (SWB), that the gurus can tell us more about.!
I am No GURU Prabal Bhau
But its a series 3 ( 71-84 ) short wheel base vehicle Sir
If its Gypsyfied , then gods can only take care of the vehicle & the owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
I had posted the quoted mail some time ago but have not had any response. Come on all you Landy gurus...do give me some ideas, oh ya, and by the way my status has changed it the elapsed time !!
Sir as your query was addressed to wrong kind of people ( the Gurus ) perhaps everyone including me kept silent & waited for the non existent guru to comment

Apart from Jokes , you can fit a MM XD 3 P engine along with its KMT 90 Gearbox & T 18 transfer case . The point is all the parts ( Engine to Clutch to GB to TC ) are factory matched to each other you wont need to make plates & adopters except mountings on the chassis .
Also please do not cut any cross member of the chassis while swapping the power-train .

Why the MM parts
1) easy to get replacements
2) the T 18 transfer-case set up is suitable to drive the right off set original diffs
3) even Differential housings ( 4x4 ) from MM can be found & fitted as they come in the Right offset setup .

regards

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 21:47   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
I am No GURU Prabal Bhau
But its a series 3 ( 71-84 ) short wheel base vehicle Sir
If its Gypsyfied , then gods can only take care of the vehicle & the owner

Please take a closer look at the wheels/chassis and wheelbase dimensions. I will agree that the body is that of a SWB Landy but feel that the running gear IS from a gypsy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Sir as your query was addressed to wrong kind of people ( the Gurus ) perhaps everyone including me kept silent & waited for the non existent guru to comment

Apart from Jokes , you can fit a MM XD 3 P engine along with its KMT 90 Gearbox & T 18 transfer case . The point is all the parts ( Engine to Clutch to GB to TC ) are factory matched to each other you wont need to make plates & adopters except mountings on the chassis .
Also please do not cut any cross member of the chassis while swapping the power-train .

Why the MM parts
1) easy to get replacements
2) the T 18 transfer-case set up is suitable to drive the right off set original diffs
3) even Differential housings ( 4x4 ) from MM can be found & fitted as they come in the Right offset setup .

regards

Sudarshan

Many thanks Mr Sudarshan, This is just the sort of response I was looking forward to. I appreciate the info. Could you please clarify:
MM XD 3 P,is this the Peugeot engine that came with the Commander,MM540,550 etc???
KMT 90 GB How many gears??? I would like to use the GB that comes with 5 plus reverse.
And would the final drive gears in the land Rover differentials suit/be correct for the GB?Transfer case??
I have and would like to retain both the original differentials and mate them up with an engine of sufficent capacity. That was the main reason for asking for advice . I have sufficent experience of repairing and restoring to original specs but very little experience on such modifications.
What is your [and other gurus, as far as I am concerned anybody who knows something I do not IS a guru to me!!] take on the DI engines from MM??? and do they fit with the above mentioned GB??
I also feel that this is valuable info and so am using the public forum rather tham sending you a PM.
Thanks in advance for your advice

Last edited by Collector : 14th November 2012 at 21:52.

Most Viewed