Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2010, 17:40   #121
BANNED

Re: Land Rover support group!

@ abhishek , you will need to search by sample , with vehicles having a comparable weight .

I am putting some pics from the net for the Landy Lovers

Land Rover support group!-88frame.jpg

Land Rover support group!-109frame.jpg

88" WB chassis
Land Rover support group!-seriesrollerfront.jpg

Land Rover support group!-seriesgearbox1.jpg

Land Rover support group!-seriesgearbox.jpg

Land Rover support group!-series_i_04.jpg

Name:  3575657581_7ea44b10e7.jpg
Views: 3129
Size:  176.9 KB

Land Rover support group!-lrexplorer.jpg

Enjoy

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 29th December 2010 at 17:42.
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2011, 12:24   #122
BHPian

I saw an excellent LR Defender for sale a month ago at Oil Kumar's petrol bunk in Bangalore with full camel trophy livery. Dont know if its still available. There is also a fully kitted out LR Defender in G4 challenge colors although quite battered here in Bangalore which i keep bumping into. They are the real macho cars, long before Arnie came along with his humvees.....
Old 5th January 2011, 10:21   #123
ald

Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
I saw an excellent LR Defender for sale a month ago at Oil Kumar's petrol bunk in Bangalore with full camel trophy livery. Dont know if its still available. There is also a fully kitted out LR Defender in G4 challenge colors although quite battered here in Bangalore which i keep bumping into. They are the real macho cars, long before Arnie came along with his humvees.....
Hey can you let me know about this camel trophy defender, and can i have their contact details, thank you.
Old 8th January 2011, 03:10   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_d_zulu View Post
Hi... one more question on Defenders... does anyone have any suggestion on what indigenous options I can get to replace an original LR brake booster of a 300 Tdi Defender? It seems to be quite expensive to procure & there aren't many which I can anyways buy within India. So, which other vehicle's can I replace it with, which is easily available in India?

Any ideas will be much appreciated...

Thanks,
Abhishek
Hey Abhi, My 2 bit, If you have access go for a new O.E booster for the 110 there is no other safe option....Regards NM
Old 11th February 2011, 13:46   #125
BHPian

There's (what looks like) a recent model LR Defender SWB rotting away by the side of the road on the NH17 just before entering Thalassery town, Kerala, from Mahe. A white Defender with current model alloys, rear fogs, et al. No idea about the engine's condition as vegetation is slowly taking over the body work.

The car looks like it had a front end collision and was subsequently abandoned. If I'm right, the car has only been there since the last 2-3 years. Can she be rescued? If so, how would one go about the paperwork? Or will it be just a waste of time?

I'll try to get some photographs the next time I drive by that area....

BTW, I know that the car in question is not a vintage or a classic. Mods: Please move if this is not the appropriate thread for this.

Last edited by coloneljasi : 11th February 2011 at 13:48.
coloneljasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2011, 20:58   #126
BHPian

Note from Support: Please avoid excessively dotty posts. Please use proper punctuation as per rules. Thanks!

people just picked up this landy in orissa, looks like it needs a lot of work please help give some light............
Attached Thumbnails
Land Rover support group!-sdc12097.jpg  

Land Rover support group!-sdc12102.jpg  

Land Rover support group!-sdc12104.jpg  

Land Rover support group!-sdc12105.jpg  

Land Rover support group!-sdc12108.jpg  

Land Rover support group!-sdc12109.jpg  

Land Rover support group!-sdc12112.jpg  

Land Rover support group!-sdc12113.jpg  

Land Rover support group!-sdc12115.jpg  

yardshark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2011, 09:36   #127
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi View Post
There's (what looks like) a recent model LR Defender SWB rotting away by the side of the road on the NH17 ====

The car looks like it had a front end collision and was subsequently abandoned. If I'm right, the car has only been there since the last 2-3 years. Can she be rescued? If so, how would one go about the paperwork? Or will it be just a waste of time?
Sorry for the late reply , answer to your Q :

1) if you are really interested , check with the local police station

2) OR , note the registration No. & make an inquiry with the concerned RTO , you can fill an Information form available there ( not under RTI act )

3) for anything to be done with the vehicle:

a) the current 'Registered ' owner must be traced .

b) any pending legal procedure needs to be completed .

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardshark View Post
Note from Support: Please avoid excessively dotty posts. Please use proper punctuation as per rules. Thanks!

people just picked up this landy in orissa, looks like it needs a lot of work please help give some light............
This is a late model series 2a vehicle , looks like petrol engined , The GB of this model is a non syncro unit & very easy to maintain .

Land rovers have aluminum skin over steel channels , the bulkhead/firewall is all steel so is the front plate on which the radiator is mounted .

Aluminium is a tricky thing to work on. The body tub looks OK , but the roof is disturbed & the front mudguards . apart from these two ,every thing looks normal . ( though the body is not that clean )

Word of caution

1) please do not scrape the original paint to the metal , aluminium needs an itch primer treatment when bared after that any further paint treatment will hold

2) the chassis is the soul of these models , its a box shape so any inside rust preventative is not possible , so keep away from vehicles having rusty chassis.

If you decide to use this vehicle as soft top & half doors you will be able to save a lot of body work , which is the case here . Or you can find a donor vehicle for parts replacements .

Note : Go through this thread carefully you will find information on Manuals , Parts & dealers & other enthusiasts , or you can call or PM me ( but I prefer forum , because everyone will be able to share . )

you have got a legend , a true gem . preserve it cheers

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2011, 19:23   #128
BHPian

sudarshan,
the documents are under process and once we finish with that will start restoring it.
I did go under the landy and looks like the frame is good to go. Do have another landrover series 2 diesel in bangalore.
do you know if any body has a landrover diesel engine.
How do i make it a half door and can you please guide me.
Old 6th March 2011, 22:55   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi View Post
There's (what looks like) a recent model LR Defender SWB rotting away by the side of the road on the NH17 just before entering Thalassery town, Kerala, from Mahe. A white Defender with current model alloys, rear fogs, et al. No idea about the engine's condition as vegetation is slowly taking over the body work.

I'll try to get some photographs the next time I drive by that area....

BTW, I know that the car in question is not a vintage or a classic. Mods: Please move if this is not the appropriate thread for this.
Colonel Sir,

ANY News or pics on the LR Defender mentioned above? Please, Please post some pics. Any chance its for sale?
Please do let me know . I would be interested if given a go ahead from the experts on the forum.

-regards
salil
Old 7th March 2011, 07:14   #130
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scphanse View Post
I would be interested if given a go ahead from the experts on the forum.
Disclaimer:

Don't be under wrong impression about experts ,specially if you think that I am an expert > not the case , I am no expert in this .

A word of caution :

1) do not ever guess the condition of the vehicle on photos , It can be very deceptive , even though the pic is not tampered with photo shop .

2) Be prepared to invest a lot of money ( equal to probably a new vehicle ) ,+ Time & energy .

3) Do not ever touch a vehicle which has a faulty paperwork .Specially pending taxes .

4) Soul or a Land Rover is the chassis its a box shape one , if you see rusty holes on it then consider the vehicle as a donor vehicle ,not the prime one .

5) most importantly however restored ,an old vehicle is an old vehicle .Things can go wrong in terms of reliability.

there is a saying/phrase in Marathi which says -' Khaz aani Maz jiravnari gadi ' It means this type of vehicle will beat the ghost/daylights out of you .

Best of luck

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2011, 09:53   #131
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardshark View Post
do you know if any body has a land rover diesel engine.
PM me

Quote:
How do i make it a half door and can you please guide me.
Very simple Its all in Nuts & Bolts ( or in rivets )

you can have a clue from the following .

1) Front door top ( window section ), removable

Land Rover support group!-1front-door.jpg

2) Body tub , sides ( rear most side windows ) & Roof all are bolted together

Land Rover support group!-3aroof.jpg

Land Rover support group!-3bodytub.jpg

3) Middle door , here you need to cut it below the window at a suitable place ( referring to front door level )

Land Rover support group!-4middledoor.jpg

anyways these parts on your vehicle are not in good shape so making a soft top is a better proposition

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2011, 16:52   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scphanse View Post
Colonel Sir,

ANY News or pics on the LR Defender mentioned above? Please, Please post some pics. Any chance its for sale?
Please do let me know . I would be interested if given a go ahead from the experts on the forum.

-regards
salil
Sorry. No pictures yet. I'll definitely make it a point to take some snaps the next time. I'd be interested in getting the LR for myself, but as advised on this forum the work involved in just getting a hold of the vehicle is arduous, to say the least. What needs to be found out is whether the LR is salvageable.

I'd love to see the LR back on it's tyres, no matter who restores it. Circumstances permitting, of course. So if you're more inclined to it, please be my guest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Disclaimer:

Don't be under wrong impression about experts ,specially if you think that I am an expert > not the case , I am no expert in this .

A word of caution :

1) do not ever guess the condition of the vehicle on photos , It can be very deceptive , even though the pic is not tampered with photo shop .

2) Be prepared to invest a lot of money ( equal to probably a new vehicle ) ,+ Time & energy .

3) Do not ever touch a vehicle which has a faulty paperwork .Specially pending taxes .

4) Soul or a Land Rover is the chassis its a box shape one , if you see rusty holes on it then consider the vehicle as a donor vehicle ,not the prime one .

5) most importantly however restored ,an old vehicle is an old vehicle .Things can go wrong in terms of reliability.
. Very true. Like I said, will try to get some daytime photos, although most of the LR is covered by vegetation, debris and what not.
coloneljasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2011, 11:45   #133
BHPian

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 2814
Size:  274.8 KB

Land Rover support group!-photo1.jpg

coloneljasi,

This is what you are talking about right ?

For the last 12 years I am keeping an eye on it. It has involved some Police Case and it doesn't have any papers with police records. No way to get it and don't even think about it because I have kept few watch dogs there.
sreejeshmp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2011, 12:19   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Attachment 513788

Attachment 513789

coloneljasi,

This is what you are talking about right ?

For the last 12 years I am keeping an eye on it. It has involved some Police Case and it doesn't have any papers with police records. No way to get it and don't even think about it because I have kept few watch dogs there.
@ sreejeshmp: That was quick! It's been there for 12 years?!? That's odd. I never noticed it till I started making regular trips that way about 2-3 years ago. Anyway, thanks for the info. What kind of police case? Can you elaborate? And what do your watch dogs normally like to eat?

@ scphanse: What do you think? Looks to me like it has all the trappings for a classic wild goose chase.

Last edited by coloneljasi : 8th March 2011 at 12:31.
Old 8th March 2011, 16:40   #135
Senior - BHPian

12 years is too long to wait, by the time you lay hands on the machine it might crumble due to rusting. How come this stuff was not auctioned or sold as scrap till now. Poor thing its becoming ECO FRIENDLY by allowing the weeds to grow upon it. There is one Landy lying idle since my child hood still the body is intact with the monogram, rear door was stolen by some miscreants but over all the jeep has original engine and is in restorable condition. Owner quoting exhorbident price hope changes his mind to sell it so it gets a loving owner.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks