Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2011, 06:32   #1381
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Come on Kolkata, do none of you recognise that gent? He is still around!!!

Have all forgotton this Rolls? Hoping to get some info soon

Sometimes I cover deliberately, sometimes it just happens. Anytime you require something which I had covered please let me know.

Cheers harit
Could we try 1922 R-R Silver Ghost Chassis 14-RG by Windovers (original owner Raghlin Singh) ? This is from informed expert opinion. 14-RG is also shown on pg 236 of Those Elegant R-R. Cheers!
Old 21st March 2011, 12:48   #1382
Senior - BHPian

Is that Mr S Ghosh ? In the pic

Quote:
I too loved this story and the ending.
While talking to Mr. Tagore, he told me that the family also had a Vauxhall Hurlingham. Here she is, apparently at the very same exhibition as the Ghost was. The setting is so similar. And this car too was with dealers who basically promoted exports. maybe someone will recognise the gent and the lady. They may be from Calcutta.
This was at the Statesman Rally in 1968. The car is of 1930, Vauxhall Hurlingham Sport
That was a lovely car and I do not know of another.
Slightly OT, but fits here.

Cheers harit
Old 22nd March 2011, 21:19   #1383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Is that Mr S Ghosh ? In the pic
Hmmm...I would say so yes!

On another note, there is a lovely 20 h.p. Rolls Royce Speedster (2 seater rumble seat) tucked away in the leafy confines of posh Alipore in Kolkata. Belongs to a famous family out there. Car is very intact; as a kid, whenever we passed by to go to my aunts house, I would be glad to see it parked in the porch of the house. Sadly, the old gent who owns the car is now too old, and the younger lot have kept is aside, covered by tarpaulin sheets. It looks identical to this Roller uploaded earlier by Travancore. I was always told that the Kolkata car was from the Darbangha fleet.

There is also another Rolls Royce Phantom III (Not the Ex Governor of Bombay car) , that belongs to the family of Sir R. N. Mookerjee and Sir Biren Mookerjee. Famous old house on Middleton Row. Have seen it, but she doesn't run. I believe a cracked carb is the cause. The current owner is a member, but rarely posts now days. Alsoi a Buick Super 8 in the same compound.

Regards
Prithvi
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-dharmasthala-mbn258-rolls-royce-20-maybe-.jpg  

Last edited by mbz180 : 22nd March 2011 at 21:34.
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2011, 03:40   #1384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Hmmm...I would say so yes!

On another note, there is a lovely 20 h.p. Rolls Royce Speedster (2 seater rumble seat) tucked away in the leafy confines of posh Alipore in Kolkata. Belongs to a famous family out there. There is also another Rolls Royce Phantom III (Not the Ex Governor of Bombay car) , that belongs to the family of Sir R. N. Mookerjee and Sir Biren Mookerjee. Famous old house on Middleton Row. Have seen it, but she doesn't run. I believe a cracked carb is the cause. The current owner is a member, but rarely posts now days. Alsoi a Buick Super 8 in the same compound. Regards Prithvi
No, but he was a Royalty.
Is that 20HP blue in colour? And was there a Lady Mookerjee who may have had a Rolls I poster quite earlier?

Cheers harit
Old 23rd March 2011, 11:16   #1385
BHPian

Quote:
No, but he was a Royalty.
Is that 20HP blue in colour? And was there a Lady Mookerjee who may have had a Rolls I poster quite earlier?

Cheers harit
The 20 h.p is cream. Lady Ranu Mookerjee was Sir Biren's wife, so yes, it was her car as well.

Regards
Prithvvi
Old 23rd March 2011, 14:10   #1386
Senior - BHPian

The car I think you are referring to is Page 39, 1930 Rolls Royce, 20/25 hp of Mr Kejriwal in the book titled " The Maharajah and their Magnificent Motor Cars "

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
The 20 h.p is cream. Lady Ranu Mookerjee was Sir Biren's wife, so yes, it was her car as well.

Regards
Prithvvi
Old 23rd March 2011, 14:27   #1387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
The car I think you are referring to is Page 39, 1930 Rolls Royce, 20/25 hp of Mr Kejriwal in the book titled " The Maharajah and their Magnificent Motor Cars "

Cheers
That's right Kasli, the 20 h.p. is indeed owned by Mr. Kejriwal. He is a close relation (Jamai, I think) of the Birla's.

Regards
Prithvi
Old 2nd April 2011, 19:39   #1388
Distinguished - BHPian

Nandgaon R-R PII 50XJ

Another ex-Maharaja car seems to have resurfaced. This time it is the wonderful Nandgaon Phantom II (Chassis 50-XJ). Car seems to have been sold by Gooding & Co at the Pebble Beach / Monterey Auction, 2010 for $ 770K.

Pictures below show the source / attribution on them.

The first picture is from "The Motor", 1930.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-nandgaon-rr-pii-50xj-side-motor-1930.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-nandgaon-rr-pii-50xj-side-gooding-2010.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-nandgaon-rr-pii-50xj-frt-3q-gooding-2010-3.jpg

A little excerpt of its history from: Charles Crail Automobiles - (805) 568-1934

"On March 28, 1930, 50XJ was shipped to the official Rolls-Royce distributor in Bangalore from where it was collected by its aristocratic caretaker, a gentleman who is said to have had a great love of Rolls-Royce and Bentley automobiles. Over the years, the Phantom accumulated a mere 4,800 kilometers and was subsequently garaged in static storage until 1966 when Ray Howard discovered the car housed with representatives of the Maharaja in the State of Orissa. Fortunately for Mr. Howard, who was then working in India as an engineer, the Barker Torpedo was offered for sale despite reports that it was the favored car and the crown jewel of the Maharajah's collection."
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2011, 23:48   #1389
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nandgaon R-R PII 50XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Another ex-Maharaja car seems to have resurfaced. This time it is the wonderful Nandgaon Phantom II (Chassis 50-XJ). Car seems to have been sold by Gooding & Co at the Pebble Beach / Monterey Auction, 2010 for $ 770K.
Nice find, Travancore. i am waiting for a book to be published on ALL the Maharaja Rolls ever.

Cheers harit
Old 3rd April 2011, 01:22   #1390
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Nandgaon R-R PII 50XJ

Quote:
Nice find, Travancore. i am waiting for a book to be published on ALL the Maharaja Rolls ever.

Cheers harit
Hopefully John Fasal's next masterpiece "R-R in Princely India" will be published one day, soon!

The link also describes how the car left India, along with a PIII.

Last edited by travancore : 3rd April 2011 at 01:27.
Old 4th April 2011, 10:52   #1391
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Pictures below show the source / attribution on them.

The first picture is from "The Motor", 1930.

Attachment 526470

Attachment 526471

Attachment 526472

A little excerpt of its history from: Charles Crail Automobiles - (805) 568-1934

"On March 28, 1930, 50XJ was shipped to the official Rolls-Royce distributor in Bangalore from where it was collected by its aristocratic caretaker, a gentleman who is said to have had a great love of Rolls-Royce and Bentley automobiles. Over the years, the Phantom accumulated a mere 4,800 kilometers and was subsequently garaged in static storage until 1966 when Ray Howard discovered the car housed with representatives of the Maharaja in the State of Orissa. Fortunately for Mr. Howard, who was then working in India as an engineer, the Barker Torpedo was offered for sale despite reports that it was the favored car and the crown jewel of the Maharajah's collection."
Nice find, thanks for sharing.

I have a doubt though - Nandgaon was a state in present day Maharashtra, how come the car was delivered to Bangalore, and then discovered in Orissa? Orissa I can understand change of ownership, but why delivery to Bangalore?
Old 4th April 2011, 19:00   #1392
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Nice find, thanks for sharing.

I have a doubt though - Nandgaon was a state in present day Maharashtra, how come the car was delivered to Bangalore, and then discovered in Orissa? Orissa I can understand change of ownership, but why delivery to Bangalore?
I had my doubts too. As far as I know, the major R-R distributors were in Bombay and/or Delhi depending on the time frame. Maybe, the Maharaja had it delivered on race day at the race course!

You also notice the "ORC" registration. Maybe, at one point it went to Mayurbhanj or some other state in Orissa ???? Cheers
Old 5th April 2011, 11:43   #1393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You also notice the "ORC" registration. Maybe, at one point it went to Mayurbhanj or some other state in Orissa ???? Cheers
ORC would be a Cuttack regn. in Orissa, unless I'm mistaken.
Old 11th April 2011, 07:21   #1394

Harit,

Here are some pictures of the car.

Any history on this car would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls-side.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls-front.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls-34-view.jpg  

Old 11th April 2011, 07:27   #1395

Quote:
Congrats on the purchase. Can you please post a picture of the car today? Does she still have those excess Grebel lights? Please post a picture, and we shall revert.

Cheers harit
Harit,

Here are some pictures of the car.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls-34-view.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls-side.jpg  

Attached Images

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks