Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2008, 13:35   #61
Senior - BHPian

Wow DKG, nice pictures and a good write up!
Old 1st October 2008, 14:06   #62
Senior - BHPian

If some company would take up sponsorship to restore the car it would be ideal
Old 1st October 2008, 15:13   #63
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I assume this is the car?
I believe it is. Thanks again Karlos. I wouldn't know about the Chevy though, will check with the present owner when I meet him next. Mukkaramjah though had a Oldsmobile which is shown in a picture in Manvendra Singh's book. He had gifted that car to someone associated with the estate and should still be around in Hyderabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
If some company would take up sponsorship to restore the car it would be ideal
That's definitely worth exploring. I wonder if there has been a precedent anywhere else of a company restoring a car in a private collection. If so that would make it easier to convince.

To all who have enjoyed the thread, thanks for your kind comments. Its so important that we in India create awareness for an unbelievably spectacular heritage that mostly lies unnoticed or neglected all across the country.

Its so easy to undo it all. But once its gone we as a country are only poorer for letting it go. As citizens we can do our bit to patronise these museums so our heritage can be maintained for generations to come.

Last edited by DKG : 1st October 2008 at 15:24.
Old 1st October 2008, 16:37   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some comments and a lovely photo from Harit.
Good suggestions, one question though- is there any need to collect funds from the public for restoration of these cars, especially charging for photos etc.? Voluntary contributions of course are a different issue.
I was under the impression that the estate itself, which is housing the cars, would undertake the restorations, if any.

Last edited by Stanher : 1st October 2008 at 16:39.
Old 1st October 2008, 16:59   #65
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Just imagine if such a restoration fund can ape the success of the hundi at Tirupati I see these cars being restored asap.
Old 1st October 2008, 17:16   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Just imagine if such a restoration fund can ape the success of the hundi at Tirupati I see these cars being restored asap.
I suspect more than the success of the hundi its the success of the VIP tickets (500/- /head last I heard) that is prominent now!
But anyways, I'd rather not digress into that now!
Old 1st October 2008, 21:20   #67
DKG
Senior - BHPian

An interesting tale to entertain you folks:

Mir Osman Ali Khan's (seventh Nizam) wife referred to respectfully in Hyderabad as Dulhan Pasha was known to be a terror of sorts. Legend has it that she was notorious in stopping by stores along the road and virtually ordering tons of stuff, which the store keeper would have to deliver and wait indefinitely for his payment. So terrorised these poor chaps were that some used to bring shutters down if they heard Dulhan Pasha was to pass by

Once apparently Dulhan Pasha was out for a drive to Gandipet and during the drive she asked the driver a question to which he replied by turning his head around to look at her. So incensed was she at the fella's insolence that she ordered him to drive all the way back to Hyderabad in reverse head turned!!! Ouch

PS For those who don't know Gandipet or Osmansagar is one of two lakes (the other being Himayatsagar) the seventh Nizam had built (dam made on river Musi) as the primary source of water to Hyderabad. Its about 15 kms west of Hyderabad and were the prefered picnic spot of familes in Hyderabad for years. As children we have spent countless picnics there. The last time my parents and I met Mukkaramjah he was getting ready for a drive to go to Gandipet to show his grand children the lake. Not many grandpas can take their grandkids to a lake and say " my grandpa built this "

As Hyderabadis who love this city deeply Gandipet brings to the fore fond memories for so many here, including royalty

Last edited by DKG : 1st October 2008 at 21:39.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2008, 07:58   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
she ordered him to drive all the way back to Hyderabad in reverse head turned!!!
Wow, that must have been quite a drive back!

You have an amazing way of telling the history DKG! Somehow I enjoy reading about the past especially when it involves cars
Old 2nd October 2008, 09:13   #69
BHPian

Wow, this is just amazing.. like the saying, "Money cannot buy you happiness" ..so true, but it sure can buy you a lot of cars
Old 2nd October 2008, 10:03   #70
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
You have an amazing way of telling the history DKG!

You know Headers we've had this quaint tradition here in Hyderabad of kids gathering around an elder and sitting transfixed as they would be regaled with tales upon tales.

As a kid along with my sister and my cousins we'd sit around my uncle and he would entertain us with stories. My mother tells me that they as kids did the same with their father.

It might well be a lovely Indian tradition. Infact I find this the most precious aspect of one's relationship with aging people in and around our families. I am simply carrying on the tradition

Life and the art of story telling!

Here's another picture of that stunning Bentley used once by Prince Mauzamjah. A very BIG THANK YOU to present owner Mr. G. Momen for restoring and maintaining this car in such an exquisite condition. Thanks to Asad for sharing this picture

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-dscn29572.jpg

Guys I don't know if you know but Prince Mauzamjah's wife Princess Niloufer was considered amongst the most beautiful women in the world. I can just imagine what a devastatingly ravishing sight it must be to see her in this Bentley or the Duesenberg coupe. God, I would have dropped to my knees in awe

Last edited by DKG : 2nd October 2008 at 10:08.
Old 4th October 2008, 22:16   #71
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Some close up shots of the Dastaar or crown, especially for Travancore, enjoy

As seen on the cowl of the Fiat

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-mvc006f_7.jpg

As seen on the domed roof of the Rolls

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-img_1141.jpg
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2008, 23:30   #72
BHPian

DKG, do you have any more photos of the Wolseley or the Napier? Engine bay etc?
Old 7th October 2008, 04:35   #73
BHPian

Hello? Anybody there? I presume that means no?
Old 7th October 2008, 09:41   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Some comments from Harit.

Quote:
Further to my comments on the Nizams cars, I would like to clarify/elaborate:
Again, I want to highlight the work done by Deepak. He is an enthusiast, took the initiative and brought the cars out for all to see. But I have some worries about their future. They were housed in a shed, today they are lined up against the wall of a structure and covered, but exposed to the elements from the side. This cannot be good for the long run. If these cars are displayed and the family sees a good response, hopefully they will consider to house them properly.
Then there is the question about restoration. These cars must be restored. No question. But by whom and who will pay? These early era cars may appear simple but they are not easy to work on. And one has to recondition and source parts abroad. All very expensive. And why should a corporate sponsor a restoration being kept in a private palace museum? Perhaps local Andhra companies could be persuaded to sponsor a car each or sponsor one item like tyres for all. I believe the family is to restore the palace, that would have priority over cars as more of the public will be interested in Palaces, not just cars.
As to who will restore, that is a big question and one should start looking at capable workshops. Always one car at a time. And get the wheels of all cars in order with correct tyres.
Good cars like the Ford and Buick can be cleaned up, remove the reflector tapes presently on the cars.
These are 2 bits from me, I always love to see cars of this era in good show-room condtion.

Cheere Harit

The Rolls Pic I put up turns out to be Afghanistan, not the Nizam though for a while me and some fellow enthusiasts were mistaken. Its good to have Deepakji knowing about the Nizam's family and pointing this out. There are similarities in the persons and their civil structures which link the Nizam, Afghanistan, Turkey, Iran etc. In short, I stand corrected and wiser on what I own.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 7th October 2008 at 09:48.
Old 7th October 2008, 10:06   #75
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Hello? Anybody there? I presume that means no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
DKG, do you have any more photos of the Wolseley or the Napier? Engine bay etc?
Coming up Sir. Just give me until evening, I definitely will have the pictures you ask for. Will post them.

Quote:
Some comments from Harit.
The enclosure is being sealed off with glass before the display opens for viewing. I have also requested that shades ensure sunlight never falls directly on the cars. So I think these will be measures that will ensure the collection is protected from any dangers. Perhaps if it is noticed that humidity for some reason is a problem then a dehumidifier can be installed. Unlike Bombay Hyderabad weather doesn't damage cars at all.

As for the restoration bit first there's the cost factor then the competence of the restorer. The family has very obviously already spent tons of money on restoring the palace and the work is still in progress. I can understand that at the moment given the sheer quantum of funds required to do an authentic restoration this is not a priority and rightly so. I doubt very much any corporate would shell out for cars in a private collection. Further the last thing we need to see is these cars being ruined on account of a half hearted shabby patchwork restoration. So let us first appreciate that atleast the collection will open to public soon for viewing and not remain locked up, for want of restoration, as it has been for the past 100 years!

A car museum elsewhere in India made just this mistake. They should have parked all those cars just as is than do the horrendous mistake of shoddy patchwork just to make them supposedly presentable. They ruined the cars in my opinion. I found the bulk of the collection ghastly in appearance.

As for the competence of the restorer I can only think of one person in India who will do an excellent job and I have discussed this already with him. The only other option, albeit an extremely expensive one, is to have a team from England come down and do the whole work.

Last edited by DKG : 7th October 2008 at 10:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks