Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2012, 15:10   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages

The Dharbanga Car and now in Calcutta being done up. Only pic I have but source and history unknown

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
What Minerva and who owns it ? Any pics ?
Attached Thumbnails
The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-img_0405.jpg  

kasli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2012, 15:19   #182
Senior - BHPian

WOW.....you always come up with the most interesting pictures ? What are the cars around the Minerva
Old 18th February 2012, 15:19   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
The Dharbanga Car and now in Calcutta being done up. Only pic I have but source and history unknown Cheers
Kasli, slip of tongue/typing fingers? This car was in Dhanbad, nothing to do with Dharbanga, and before that she was an original Calcutta car. Body was missing and I believe that a Landaulette is being created.
I have to search but there are pictures of this car in a workshop in Dhanbad.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2012, 18:38   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit

Kasli, slip of tongue/typing fingers? This car was in Dhanbad, nothing to do with Dharbanga, and before that she was an original Calcutta car. Body was missing and I believe that a Landaulette is being created.
Correct Dhanbad , typo error
Old 29th February 2012, 11:51   #185
BHPian

Wasif, The Minerva with a legal connection currently being re done by the cartier curator is the one I reffered to.
Old 7th March 2012, 18:46   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Haritji,

Which family in Kolkata owned the car in case you can tell us? I ask because our family used to have an early Minerva too.

Regards
Prithvi
Old 29th April 2012, 00:17   #187
BHPian

Feeling sleepy and just about to shutdown, stumbled on this thread and read all the pages. What a thread, enjoyed every picture and reading the history. Thanks DKG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Hello Folks,

A Rolls-Royce from the Nizam's car collection that was recently restored was on display at the Chowmahalla Palace today, 31st March 2011. The high tea event started at 5:30 PM. There was a good crowd and a few local news channels also covered the event. Here are the pictures of the car. Enjoy!!

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Restored you will never be able to tell what a 100 year old car should look like.

I am perhaps the only one who strongly feels they should remain untouched

Though the car is restored, I feel the car has lost the charm it has in the initial pics DKG posted(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...tml#post994569).

I agree with DKG and would have liked the car in its untouched state. Even the modifications to the car were part of the cars history and now seems to have been reversed. With all the makeup and with even the leaf springs painted, just doesn't feel good and looks toyish. What was Nizam's car(called as Throne Car???) is now a restored RR, .

Last edited by asdfvinay : 29th April 2012 at 00:23.
Old 15th July 2012, 01:50   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Recently at a celebration marking completion of 100 years by the Rolls the Princess stated that both the Napiers would be restored as well.

I feel it's a huge blunder to restore these cars as they are such a precious exhibit as is but then my opinion is of no consequence and those who desire to see them restored will see that day soon
I hope you don't mind me adding a view here being a newbie and sincerely hope it doesn't come across as me 'teaching you how to suck eggs' - I have been with a transport museum here in Scotland for 14 years now and current thinking is that restoration of any kind, bu it transport or technology is seen as an act of vandalism within the academic teams. Their view is restoration, no matter how small removes a bit of 'real' history from the vehicle, be it a paint blemish, a dent, right up to a total respray / rebuild.

In our collection we have a number of early 1900 automobiles in our collection, for example an 1898 Benz 'Comfortable' Voiturette, a c1896 Daimler, 2 x 1900 Argylls, 1901 Arrol Johnston, a 1900 Albion - the first Albion built, to list some of our very earliest. Granted at least 3 were basket cases and were sympathetically restored by the museum workshops in the 1960's as opposed to the over-restorations often seen at 'Pebble Beach' in the USA.

We have a policy of 'Preservation, Conservation and Restoration' in that order and I have never seen a restoration being done by the museum. Preservation is the principle process, with interventions to stabilise the structure and perts, nothing else beyond. Conservation is only done when a part either becomes so degraded it is beyond preservation and generally relates to a bit of bodywork coming adrift and has to be re-attached or a tyre disintegrates - and finally Restoration, which this museum does not carry out.

I have a classic and love to drive her, but it is not worth anything more than a car to be driven and enjoyed because previous owners have restored it to beyond original and with that the history relating to this specific vehicle is gone. It took me quite a while to get my head around the museum's PCR dictates, but being a bit wiser now I can see why.

So going back to your original comment "I feel it's a huge blunder to restore these cars as they are such a precious exhibit ....." - I support your stance 100%.

Argyll.
Argyll is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2012, 15:05   #189
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyll View Post
current thinking is that restoration of any kind, bu it transport or technology is seen as an act of vandalism within the academic teams. Their view is restoration, no matter how small removes a bit of 'real' history from the vehicle, be it a paint blemish, a dent, right up to a total respray / rebuild.
What they are doing to the Nizam's cars is atrocious. Those cars made such an awesome exhibit giving viewers an actual glimpse of how a 100 year old car looks like. Of the five cars the Wolseley had received some upholstery and paint many years ago (possible 50 years ago) and trust me it had lost it's magic and I spent the least amount of time viewing that car. The Napiers, the Fiat and the Rolls were such an amazing experience to view and sadly now the Napiers will be spoilt as well.

Thanks for sharing your views.
Old 23rd July 2012, 19:52   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

This month's issue of Man's World Magazine contains an article on Manvendra Singh and his association with the vintage car scene, and included is a picture of what must be one of the Nizam's Napiers.

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-barwani01.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 13:47   #191
BHPian

Re: Classic Rolls Royce's in India

Can this RR be identified? (possibly of the 7th Nizam, given the protocol and its nearness to the red carpet) Though he appears to have stepped out from the Tourer in front, on the ocassion of his Birthday with people around him praying. (Poor quality of picture regretted)
Attached Thumbnails
The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-2.jpg  

Old 20th October 2012, 17:55   #192
BHPian

Obtained this pic for a view from the other side. Did the Nizam's 1934 Ford Model B Tourer originally came with two side mounts? Is it a V8? The car appears to have a longer wheelbase than others, was it a special/customized ford?
Attached Thumbnails
The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-z3.jpg  

Old 21st October 2012, 10:17   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Khan View Post
Obtained this pic for a view from the other side. Did the Nizam's 1934 Ford Model B Tourer originally came with two side mounts? Is it a V8? The car appears to have a longer wheelbase than others, was it a special/customized ford?
I think it is a V8 but not a Deluxe so only one sidemount !
wasif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 14:23   #194
DKG
Senior - BHPian

It's been a while since I had last lifted the bonnet on this car but if I remember its a four cylinder. Nothing special about it as far as I could tell
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 15:14   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Khan View Post
This is a standard B model ford ,standard wheelbase and four cylinder engine,must be 1934yrs
Mohammed4rmhyd is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed