Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2013, 04:24   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
This must be one for the Nizam's Napiers that doesnt survive today.

Picture from the Paigah's of the Deccan page on FB
This is probably the Nizam's 65 H.P. Tourer
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 03:03   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This must be one for the Nizam's Napiers that doesnt survive today.

Picture from the Paigah's of the Deccan page on FB
Here is the same picture captioned....identified as a 40 H.P. (The Autocar July 9, 1910)

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-nizam-napier-40hp-autocar-july-9-1910.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True or not, interesting read! (The Autocar, Dec 5, 1908)

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-nizam-road-rage-autocar-dec-5-1908-cropped.jpg
travancore is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 15:05   #228
BHPian

Was at RAF museum recently where saw this plane on the display. Seems Nizam's have some collection of planes as well. Since the registration isn't with suffix VT seems an archaic collection.
The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-dscn2425.jpg

A bit OT, but the museum was so engaging but had very few vsitors compared to more touristic places like London Eye, Tower Bridge and likes.

There were some vintage vehicles on display at the museum as well.
sindabad.sailor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 23:03   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
Was at RAF museum recently where saw this plane on the display. Seems Nizam's have some collection of planes as well. Since the registration isn't with suffix VT seems an archaic collection.
Attachment 1093166

A bit OT, but the museum was so engaging but had very few vsitors compared to more touristic places like London Eye, Tower Bridge and likes.

This was a "Presentation Aircraft" from WWI.

During WWI and WWII, many Indian Maharajas (and the public / States / cities) donated aircraft and whole squadrons to the RAF. These were known as "Presentation Aircraft" or "Presentation Squadrons"). Famous among these whole squadron gifts are Baroda, Hyderabad and Mysore, among others.

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-baroda-squadron.jpg The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-hyderabad-squadron.jpg The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-hyderabad-state-squadron.jpg The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-mysore-squadron.jpg

And here is one closer to home for me!

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-travancore-spitfires.jpg

Since these were military aircraft, the civil registration "VT" would not apply. Legend has it that VT stood for Viceroy's Territory

Last edited by travancore : 5th June 2013 at 23:07.
Old 6th June 2013, 12:34   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
This was a "Presentation Aircraft" from WWI.
During WWI and WWII, many Indian Maharajas (and the public / States / cities) donated aircraft and whole squadrons to the RAF. These were known as "Presentation Aircraft" or "Presentation Squadrons"). ................
I believe that these donations were more during WW I, I have not heard about this being done in WW II. I was also told of a royal who donated ambulances during WW I. Barwani had told me that his grandfather not only donated ambulances but was physically present to attend to the wounded / casualities. That was a reason why the state got so many gun salutes as the State of Barwani had.
As one can see, we used to talk with each other.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 6th June 2013 at 12:42.
Old 6th June 2013, 17:54   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I believe that these donations were more during WW I, I have not heard about this being done in WW II. I was also told of a royal who donated ambulances during WW I. Barwani had told me that his grandfather not only donated ambulances but was physically present to attend to the wounded / casualities. That was a reason why the state got so many gun salutes as the State of Barwani had.
As one can see, we used to talk with each other.

Cheers harit
The tradition of presentation aircraft / squadrons continued very strongly in WW2. For anyone interested on India aircraft, here is a link:

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Hi...sentation.html

Talking about ambulances in WWI, here is one of the larger donations (Gwalior). There were many more, both in WWI and WWII!

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-gwalior-ambulance-presentation-cropped.jpg

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-gwalior-ambulance-presentation2-cropped.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the Maharajah of Barwani "at the Front" in France:

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-barwani-ambulance.jpg
travancore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 18:48   #232
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post

Was this at RAF Hendon?
Do let me know. I loved my visit to that museum some years ago.
Old 6th June 2013, 20:29   #233
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Was this at RAF Hendon?
Do let me know. I loved my visit to that museum some years ago.
This is a British Bristol F.2 1st world war fighter, aka "Brisfit" or "Biff".
The British Royal Flying Corps flew this two-seat biplane fighter and recce aircraft.

Military aircraft would not have a VT registration.
In any case, even civil aircraft of WW1 vintage would not have a VT registration.

The pic is from the museum at RAF Hendon at Colindale, London, England.

Its solid design kept it in military service into the 1930s.
Surplus aircraft were popular aerobatics flyers in civil aviation.

Note that the machine gun shoots through the propeller disk, so there was some serious synchronization engineering technique to prevent the gun shooting the wooden propeller off.

Ram
Old 6th June 2013, 21:19   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
The British Royal Flying Corps flew this two-seat biplane fighter and recce aircraft.

In any case, even civil aircraft of WW1 vintage would not have a VT registration.

Note that the machine gun shoots through the propeller disk, so there was some serious synchronization engineering technique to prevent the gun shooting the wooden propeller off.

Ram
A small correction. This is a de Havilland DH9A, a medium bomber. The type also saw service in the North West Frontier Province (NWFP) of India.
Old 6th June 2013, 21:22   #235
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post

Ram
The aircraft could be an FE2 B. They were two seater recce aircraft used for low level spotting over the ' enemy lines'. Those were Vickers machine guns. Special timing gear to prevent shooting the airscrew off. Also was the case in the Sopwith Camels and Sopwith Pups of that era. Did you see those too at Hendon?
When I went there, I got a pic taken near the Supermarine Spitfire which is in the grounds. There was a man there with his vintage Jag XK 120 of which also I took a pic.

My information comes courtesy a steady diet of Capt. W.E. Johns 'Biggles' books most of which I read while young and most of which I ve managed to collect over these last thirty odd years...
Old 7th June 2013, 04:36   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
A small correction. This is a de Havilland DH9A, a medium bomber. The type also saw service in the North West Frontier Province (NWFP) of India.
Just so we don't have to debate the aircraft's identity any more

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-raf-dh9a.jpg

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research...-havilland-9a/

If anyone needs to read the entire Biggles series, please feel free to come to my humble abode and browse.......along with The Famous Five & Hardy Boys! Lunch or Dinner will be served.

And by the way, the Germans came up with a more ingenious way than the British "Interruptor Gear" to avoid shooting your own propeller off - they had the Spandau shoot through the propeller boss

Last edited by travancore : 7th June 2013 at 04:41.
Old 19th June 2013, 14:46   #237
BHPian

Guess these cars is old Hyderabad-Deccan...i can provide names of the buildings where they are parked. Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-1.jpg  

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-2.jpg  

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-3.jpg  

Vintage Khan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 16:36   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Khan View Post
Guess these cars is old Hyderabad-Deccan...i can provide names of the buildings where they are parked. Cheers!
I'm guessing the last one is Ritz Hotel?
Old 19th June 2013, 18:04   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Khan View Post
Thanks for sharing these lovely period pictures.

Cant figure out the locations of the first two but the last one is known to me very well.

Thats the house of the late architect M Fayazuddin. It was on the road that connects Road No 10 and 11 on Banjara Hills. Its gone now and there is this monstrosity of an HSBC building in its place.

Mr.Fayazudding was the state architect and was the designer of a number of buildings in Hyderabad like the SBH Head Office on Abid Road, Gandhi Bhavan and the Ravindra Bharati complex among many others.

His house was also a very impressive design, you can see by the self supporting circular gateway built entirely of stone blocks.

He was a dear family friend and a connoissuer of the great Hyderabadi Qawali. Many a performance of Aziz Ahmed happened within those walls.

He and my grandad would get into a state of intoxcication listning to the music and would do crazy things like rolling on the floor, this was called a state of "haal" in those day. Cant say this happens in todays times.

His Dodge convertible is parked just by the steps to the main door.
wasif is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 22:30   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thats the house of the late architect M Fayazuddin. It was on the road that connects Road No 10 and 11 on Banjara Hills. Its gone now and there is this monstrosity of an HSBC building in its place.

His house was also a very impressive design, you can see by the self supporting circular gateway built entirely of stone blocks.

He and my grandad would get into a state of intoxcication listning to the music and would do crazy things like rolling on the floor, this was called a state of "haal" in those day. Cant say this happens in todays times.

His Dodge convertible is parked just by the steps to the main door.
I guess a similar state happens in Discos these days! Maybe even somethimg more!

A pity the house is no more around! It wouldve been such a significant one!

Do you know if the Dodge was an imported/LHD one?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks