Team-BHP - Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Ride Safe (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/)
-   -   Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/19699-helmet-tips-buying-good-helmet-262.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red4099 (Post 5665282)
Their filter search is shite!
Still couldn't find.

Can you please share the link and also recommend me something in XS for the wife.

Thanks for taking your valuable time to reply.:)

https://bikesterglobal.com/shop/prod...saAr8vEALw_wcB

Here's the link. But like Axe77 stated, better contact them via WhatsApp before placing the order. They do respond.
Getting XS size though... I am not sure anyone stocks extreme sizes like XS and XXXL. Do post here if you find one.

Need help/suggestion:
I've been using a Scorpion Exo R1 Air for the last 2 years. I use it both for its intended use as a street riding helmet as well as a touring helmet. It works great as a street helmet but unsurprisingly, it is an awful piece of kit to go touring in since it is vehemently hot and noisy. Noisy I can live with - I can upgrade to better earplugs. But the hot part is is increasingly becoming a problem. I plan to visit the US next year and will pick up a nice touring lid then. For now I was thinking of picking up something relatively affordable - an SMK Allterra (5000/-) + Leatt MX Goggles (4000/-) or the Axxis Wolf DS dual sport helmet (10,000). Both helmets are ECE 22.05 rated so it comes down to heat management. The Tiger 1200 with its massive windscreen can run really hot which is why I'm considering using the Allterra with MX goggles for added ventilation. I'd appreciate any inputs from forum members that own these helmets regarding the ventilation and comfort.

Just a quick update on my new Axor Apex (DC Joker). Took the plunge last month and I am in the process of breaking in the same. Got a good deal from Amazon and an extra blue visor as well which I am using currently within city rides for day time only.Noise is not much there till 80 kmph and snug fit for my L size on my head and face. Am happy for now and will keep updating this thread on my experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoltThrower (Post 5665588)
Need help/suggestion:
I've been using a Scorpion Exo R1 Air for the last 2 years. I use it both for its intended use as a street riding helmet as well as a touring helmet. It works great as a street helmet but unsurprisingly, it is an awful piece of kit to go touring in since it is vehemently hot and noisy. Noisy I can live with - I can upgrade to better earplugs. But the hot part is is increasingly becoming a problem. I plan to visit the US next year and will pick up a nice touring lid then. For now I was thinking of picking up something relatively affordable - an SMK Allterra (5000/-) + Leatt MX Goggles (4000/-) or the Axxis Wolf DS dual sport helmet (10,000). Both helmets are ECE 22.05 rated so it comes down to heat management. The Tiger 1200 with its massive windscreen can run really hot which is why I'm considering using the Allterra with MX goggles for added ventilation. I'd appreciate any inputs from forum members that own these helmets regarding the ventilation and comfort.

BoltThrower, when you say a helmet is hot, do you mean that it funnels hot surrounding air onto your head through the vents? The noisy bit I can understand. The hot bit seems unusual.

If you believe that the actual problem is down to the large windscreen, then wouldnt changing the windscreen to an aftermarket one, solve your issue?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudipta (Post 5665602)
Just a quick update on my new Axor Apex (DC Joker). Took the plunge last month and I am in the process of breaking in the same. Got a good deal from Amazon and an extra blue visor as well which I am using currently within city rides for day time only.Noise is not much there till 80 kmph and snug fit for my L size on my head and face. Am happy for now and will keep updating this thread on my experience.

Congratulations! Do share some pictures of the helmet and your long term feedback on the attractive helmet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil.jericho (Post 5665912)
BoltThrower, when you say a helmet is hot, do you mean that it funnels hot surrounding air onto your head through the vents? The noisy bit I can understand. The hot bit seems unusual.

If you believe that the actual problem is down to the large windscreen, then wouldnt changing the windscreen to an aftermarket one, solve your issue?

I have a short windscreen too but that doesn't help much. I still have to ride with the visor wide open which isn't ideal. I reckon the Scorpion doesn't funnel much air in the upright position. Like most street helmets, its vents work best when you're in the full/half tuck position.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoltThrower (Post 5665965)
I have a short windscreen too but that doesn't help much. I still have to ride with the visor wide open which isn't ideal. I reckon the Scorpion doesn't funnel much air in the upright position. Like most street helmets, its vents work best when you're in the full/half tuck position.

I am using a Scorpion 1400 Air since March 2023. By hot, BoltThrower meant not sufficient venting in the helmet. Hence all the heat from the head tends to get trapped in the helmet.

In my helmet there are 2 intake ports ( Chin and Top) and one exhaust port only. So I would say it is a design or model issue. I would definitely not recommend this helmet to any one looking to use this helmet for commute or in hot conditions though it is ECE22.06 certified.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoltThrower (Post 5665965)

Yes. I second that. And it only has a large intake vent up top which is ideal for a race tuck and is not worth much airflow when upright. A split vent instead of either sides might have been better for airflow.
Unlike some road helmets, it does not have brow vents either.

Hi All - I recently purchased an LS2 Storm-II Jeans Titanium Helmet in Bangalore, it comes with a with pinlock. The pinlock was installed at the shop by the salesperson during the purchase itself, but apparently it was not done properly, as I noticed a couple of microfiber threads and wet area like small patches on the visor the next day. I called up the store and told them about the same, they asked me to take it back to the store, which I did, and they cleaned & reinstalled the pinlock, which looked good at that point.

I have reserved this helmet for weekend rides only and when I took it a few days later I noticed that the wet patch has reappeared on the visor. Also when used it on a ride, I could notice small amount of fogging due to the breath at traffic signal stops; this is my first helmet with a pinlock, hence am not sure if this is normal.

My questions are:–
Is this some kind of Pinlock manufacturing defect?
Does this cover under warranty?
Am I eligible to get the pinlock replaced?
Or is this an installation error?
If so, why does it appear after a day or so?
What can I do as a next step?
Since the store is quite far, and the Bangalore traffic is horrible, travelling just to get the pinlock reinstalled, with no guarantee of the problem being solved yet again, would be a futile exercise am afraid. Please share your thoughts & suggestions.

Quote:

Congratulations! Do share some pictures of the helmet and your long term feedback on the attractive helmet.

This is all that I have with the lid on, rest all can be found in the internet so not bothering with them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreezeRiDrives (Post 5667551)
Hi All - I recently purchased an LS2 Storm-II Jeans Titanium Helmet in Bangalore, it comes with a with pinlock. The pinlock was installed at the shop by the salesperson during the purchase itself,
Also when used it on a ride, I could notice small amount of fogging due to the breath at traffic signal stops; this is my first helmet with a pinlock, hence am not sure if this is normal.

My questions are:–
Is this some kind of Pinlock manufacturing defect?
Does this cover under warranty?
Am I eligible to get the pinlock replaced?
Or is this an installation error?
If so, why does it appear after a day or so?
What can I do as a next step?

Hello, i have the same helmet got it from ryders arena and they did a good job of installing the pinlock. I've had it for 3 months now and no issue like you are facing, sounds and looks like an improper installation. Might as well ask the store for a replacement and see how it goes.
As for the fogging up during traffic signals, it happened to me once during an early morning ride and that was minimal and not very noticeable either i just carried on. I ride regularly in stop go traffic and did not face any fogging up on full closure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aston_martyr (Post 5667710)
Hello, i have the same helmet got it from ryders arena and they did a good job of installing the pinlock. I've had it for 3 months now and no issue like you are facing, sounds and looks like an improper installation. Might as well ask the store for a replacement and see how it goes.

I also got this helmet from Ryders Arena only, initial installation was not done properly for sure, but the second time they were meticulous and there was no trace of air bubble while inspected at the store, but after a day or so it appeared. Am worried if there has been some damage taken by the pinlock layer at the first attempt and that is causing this consistent issue.
Called them and spoke with the POC there, said no warranty on the Visor or Pinlock, offered one more attempt to reinstall it if I take it there once again, if the problem persists, then will have to replace the pinlock at my own expense it seems. :Shockked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreezeRiDrives (Post 5667778)
I also got this helmet from Ryders Arena only, initial installation was not done properly for sure, but the second time they were meticulous and there was no trace of air bubble while inspected at the store, but after a day or so it appeared. Am worried if there has been some damage taken by the pinlock layer at the first attempt and that is causing this consistent issue.
Called them and spoke with the POC there, said no warranty on the Visor or Pinlock, offered one more attempt to reinstall it if I take it there once again, if the problem persists, then will have to replace the pinlock at my own expense it seems. :Shockked:

You should go back to the store and insist on getting a replacement done for free. Dont let this slide. It is easy for the store guys to dismiss a customer complaint over the phone. It is a different matter when you are standing in front of them and other potential customers can see the shoddy installation first hand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreezeRiDrives (Post 5667551)

I have reserved this helmet for weekend rides only and when I took it a few days later I noticed that the wet patch has reappeared on the visor. Also when used it on a ride, I could notice small amount of fogging due to the breath at traffic signal stops; this is my first helmet with a pinlock, hence am not sure if this is normal.

This is normal. Pinlock recommends you remove it, let it dry for a while and install it back, preferably dry it in a less-humid environment such as a room with AC. The pinlock visor when installed, absorbs moisture in the air gap between the pinlock and the visor hence providing anti fog properties

Or, pinlock is not sealing with visor, absorbing moisture from ambient environment and getting wet.

Dry it once and then reinstall it. If it happens again, it probably means the pinlock has a bad seal. This happened to me with a SMK helmet, water ran inside the visor during a rainy ride and got inside the pinlock and the wetness ensued. Took the pinlock out and dried it, problem fixed.

Just glanced through the RE Website and saw that they've launched some new motocross helmets to match the new Himalayan.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-1.jpeg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-2.jpeg

The Goggles in the image are sold separately.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-3.jpeg

From the description, it says that the helmets are ISI, DOT, and most importantly, ECE 22.05 certified; however, I couldn't find ECE stickering on the helmet in the images. They've launched some Kids Motocross Helmets as well, that are only ISI Certified.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-4.jpeg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-5.jpeg

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil.jericho (Post 5668126)
You should go back to the store and insist on getting a replacement done for free. Dont let this slide. It is easy for the store guys to dismiss a customer complaint over the phone. It is a different matter when you are standing in front of them and other potential customers can see the shoddy installation first hand.

I did visit them twice now with this issue. The first time they opened the visor and did a reinstall after cleaning, it was looking good then, but after a day this patch appeared.
Yesterday I went to them again and explained the issue, they applied the same pinlock on 2 other visors, one on another new helmet in the store and the other was a brand new LS2 visor for sale as spare. In the first case, the same patch appeared, while on the new spare visor it did not. They also applied a new pinlock on my visor to test, then too this patch appeared immediately. This time there was another person at the store who stepped in and tried to adjust the pinlock screw a bit, the patch size reduced considerably based on the screw adjustments but was not completely been removed.

They concluded that this could be a visor issue, said there is supposed to be an airlock created between the visor & the pinlock, but in this case that is not happening instead they are touching each other at certain spots and hence the patch. They asked me to send an email to L2 India asking for help, as the visor & pinlock doesn't cover under warranty normally. In case LS2 asks them to replace the visor they would, else they can't help further is what they told me.
They cleaned the visor & pinlock again and installed the same on my helmet. I still see some minor patch on the visor, but it reduced to almost 20% of what was there earlier, will keep it under observation for a few days and see if it develops into a larger patch, accordingly will action on this.