Team-BHP - Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Ride Safe (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/)
-   -   Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/19699-helmet-tips-buying-good-helmet-256.html)

Guys, anyone has tried Ignyte by steelbird, they seem like a good option for a range of Rs 5K. also Ignyte 8 better than 7,5,4 and so on, I have been looking for a new good helmet, but totally confused in the market, plus is buying from Amazon good?

Quote:

Originally Posted by udzgodfather (Post 5614249)
Guys, anyone has tried Ignyte by steelbird, they seem like a good option for a range of Rs 5K. also Ignyte 8 better than 7,5,4 and so on, I have been looking for a new good helmet, but totally confused in the market, plus is buying from Amazon good?

For this budget why not consider Axor range of helmets?

My two cents, please do not buy safety gears online. It is always advised to check them out in person, check the fit and then buy it rather than buying it online.

While you might be aware of the helmet size you need, at times it does not work as the sizing and fitment from brand to brand differs. And if the helmet does not fit snugly it is useless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by udzgodfather (Post 5614249)

Just my 2 cents.. Do you really want to buy a helmet sold only in India , made by an Indian company, even if it sells with ECE, DOT or FIM certification ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oppanna (Post 5614258)
For this budget why not consider Axor range of helmets?

My two cents, please do not buy safety gears online. It is always advised to check them out in person, check the fit and then buy it rather than buying it online.

While you might be aware of the helmet size you need, at times it does not work as the sizing and fitment from brand to brand differs. And if the helmet does not fit snugly it is useless.

I am considering Axor too, but the graphics that come with Ignyte are also good, visiting the store is not that easy as it seems, I'll have to take out good amount of time to visit the store, whereas ordering online is too easy for me, hence the ordering online.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thamps (Post 5614260)
Just my 2 cents.. Do you really want to buy a helmet sold only in India , made by an Indian company, even if it sells with ECE, DOT or FIM certification ?

Sir yes sir, if there's a local manufacturing company who is matching the global standards what is wrong with buying its product?

I’m looking for a retro style half face helmet for city rides. Narrowed down to Axor Retro Jet and the Vardenchi Live Hard (which I think is the rebadged RE Bobber helmet). Both these come with clip on button visors. My question is are the clip on visors retractable? Can I pull them up? From their pix it’s unclear.

What are some good stores in Bangalore to try Helmets and buy? Lalbagh area? I stay in Malleswaram and would be buying a bike in the next 1-3 months. So want to invest in a good Helmet in the range of 15-20K. Willing to go upto 30K also for he right Helmet.Do we get AGV at this price point or should i check out LS2 or something similar? Is HJC doable in this budget? Who stocks it? Should i go for Carbon Fiber Helmets? Is it worth spending 40K plus for it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by udzgodfather (Post 5614459)
I am considering Axor too, but the graphics that come with Ignyte are also good,

Graphics wont save you if there is any emergency!

Consider safety ratings more than the mere graphics please. Helmet is an important safety gear and it is to save you!

Hope you understand!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oppanna (Post 5615390)
Graphics wont save you if there is any emergency!

Consider safety ratings more than the mere graphics please. Helmet is an important safety gear and it is to save you!

Hope you understand!

Sir, Helmets offered by Ignyte are both ISI and ECE 22.06 certified, coming with Graphics is an added bonus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by udzgodfather (Post 5615420)
Sir, Helmets offered by Ignyte are both ISI and ECE 22.06 certified, coming with Graphics is an added bonus.

If I'm not wrong, just one variant of the IGN-7 from Ignyte is ECE 22.06 Certified (Which Costs 6500Rs). The Non-ECE IGN-7 Cost 4700 Rs. The other helmets in their lineup are merely DOT and ISI Certified, which is honestly just not good enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox (Post 5615697)
If I'm not wrong, just one variant of the IGN-7 from Ignyte is ECE 22.06 Certified (Which Costs 6500Rs). The Non-ECE IGN-7 Cost 4700 Rs. The other helmets in their lineup are merely DOT and ISI Certified, which is honestly just not good enough.

That's why I asked the seniors here, since both the helmets say they are DOT Certified and have ECE22.06 Certification, how do you compare and find out the good one, what other parameters should I look upon.

IGN4Series also come with DOT certification.

I find open face helmets very comfortable. Easy to put on my glasses and remove etc. This Arai was on my sights for a week and finally picked it up from Singapore

Quote:

Originally Posted by udzgodfather (Post 5615699)
That's why I asked the seniors here, since both the helmets say they are DOT Certified and have ECE22.06 Certification, how do you compare and find out the good one, what other parameters should I look upon.

IGN4Series also come with DOT certification.

udzgodfather, first off, as some of the others here have suggested, dont buy any helmet online. I understand that it may not be convenient for you to find a well stocked store next to your home but the reality is that the same helmet will fit 2 different people in completely different ways. A lot of it has to do with your head shape (what it looks like when viewed from above). Some people have an oval shaped head, some have round and some have an intermediate oval (in between the previous two, effectively). Some helmets are made to suit one shape, while others are made to suit another. Between 2 helmets made for the same head shape, the fitment can be different because of the type and shape of the padding which is used. If you go back on this thread, you will see countless posts from riders who have been motorcycling for a long time, which say the same thing - try and buy.

Now, coming to your second question. I will ask it in two different ways
a. should we consider a helmet which meets ISI, DOT and ECE 22.06 certification standards?
b. should we consider an Indian made helmet (that too from a new brand) which meets ISI, DOT and ECE 22.06 certification standards?

If we go back through the thread, we will see that a lot of TBHPians have clearly stated their preference for new helmets which meet the stringent ECE 22.06 standard. The current ISI standard is benchmarked against the old ECE 22.05 standard, so thats a good threshold. DOT certification is neither here nor there, really.

You asked what other parameters one needs to consider while looking at a helmet, besides the certification. There are a lot of factors to look at, including but not limited to the width and quality of the visor (clear / tinted) and drop down sunvisor, amount of ventilation and noise (subjective!), fit and finish of the padding around the cheek, forehead etc.

Longevity is another major aspect - will the helmet feel the same after 1 year, as it did when you purchased it? Will there be chipping of the paint (the AGV K1s were infamous for this) or fading of the paint (some MT models are knows to suffer from this)? Does the visor get easily scratched in day to day use? These come out only with long term feedback from owners.

Coming to the Ignyte helmets, if they are able to offer ECE 22.06 and ISI approved helmets at a sub Rs 7,000 price point, that seems to be a great deal. I haven't checked these helmets out in person, hence, I don't have a perspective on their quality, one way or the other, to recommend them (or not) on a forum.

That said, I would wait for some ownership feedback to emerge in the riding community before considering buying one for myself. I would ask who is making these helmets? What is the ease of availability of spares parts? How are warranty claims going to be handled? Should I save up a bit more and get ECE 22.06 helmets from better known brands like MT and LS2? How well are these helmets holding up in day to day usage?

The certifications make the Ignyte helmets worthy of being in the conversation but Im not sure if we are ready to whole heartedly recommend them, yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedrolourenco (Post 3910163)
Axor is an Italian brand marketed by Vega. Some models are manufactured by Vega and sold under the Axor brand and some are sold as Vega. I picked up an imported one ECE certified. Was on sale and I got it foe Rs.2500/-. Have been using it on my Duke 390 and quite happy with it.

I sold off the Duke after a year and a half of owning it as I was not getting time to ride. Used it a couple of times after that. I did not fit in the boot of the Activa so I bought a Studds Chrome. Now the Activa is sold and I've picked up an Ather Series 1. The helmet was lying in my spare bedroom. So got it out and did a minor cleaning. It sort of matches (not exactly) with the scooter so planning to use it. Again the same problem of it not fitting in the boot. Helmet is in perfect condition and have never suffered any impact. Only the chin curtain has gone missing. Since the helmet is 7 years old, is it still safe to use? Doe helmets have a shelf life like tyres?

Quick question. Is the below helmet really carbon fibre or is it just carbon fibre graphics?

https://axorhelmets.com/collections/...41409974501508

If it is then it's a pretty decent price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedrolourenco (Post 5620191)
Helmet is in perfect condition and have never suffered any impact. Only the chin curtain has gone missing. Since the helmet is 7 years old, is it still safe to use? Doe helmets have a shelf life like tyres?

To the best of my knowledge, the shell and soft liners will be fine. But it's the EPS liner, which is the most important component in terms of crash protection which is affected by time. It becomes brittle and will be unable to compress at the time of a crash. 7 years, even if the helmet has remain unused, is a long time. I suggest you trash it and buy a new one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebring (Post 5615721)
I find open face helmets very comfortable. Easy to put on my glasses and remove etc. This Arai was on my sights for a week and finally picked it up from Singapore

Hey thats a nice open face, Whats the rating on this and how much did it cost you. Did you hand carry it?