Team-BHP - Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Ride Safe (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/)
-   -   Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/19699-helmet-tips-buying-good-helmet-254.html)

Congrats. Did you import it and what's the cost?
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 5595867)
After years of deliberation, got my first premium helmet - Sheoi GT Air 2 MM93 Marc Marquez Collection with the integrated Sena SRL Mesh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebring (Post 5598216)
Congrats. Did you import it and what's the cost?

Picked it up from Singapore - Chong Aik.

810 SGD for the helmet, 440 SGD for Sena - minus the tax refunds.

Arai No. 2! It is once again the RX7X and this time in this gorgeous Dani Pedrosa Samurai blue paint scheme!

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img0769.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img0770.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img0771.jpg

It has been almost two decades since I got off bikes and have been exclusively on 4 wheels. I used to run around in a Hero Honda CD100SS and a Suzuki Samurai when in college and had two variants of Studds helmets. Back then it cost about 400-800 bucks each. I had a fall when I got pushed accidentally by a pedestrian and the helmet back then saved my life.

Coming back to the present day, my son is 20 and in college, looking forward to his first bike, an Xpluse 200. His daily commute is about 30kms in Bangalore traffic from Hebbal to Richmond Town and back. An avid wildlife guy, he might do some trails but nothing heavy and no racing.

What kind of a helmet should I be looking for? I understand the ECE certified ones are the best to go in for. What else should I be looking at? Is there a need to be shelling out high prices for a racing helmet, when it's a known fact that his speeds are going to be limited?

Look forward to some views from the experts here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by discoverwild (Post 5599946)
What kind of a helmet should I be looking for? I understand the ECE certified ones are the best to go in for. What else should I be looking at? Is there a need to be shelling out high prices for a racing helmet, when it's a known fact that his speeds are going to be limited?

Look forward to some views from the experts here.

A good lid will always save your life in nasty situations so buying a good quality helmet is an investment on one’s own safety!
I’ve been using an Axor Rage for the past 3.5 years and my experience with it has been smooth with no issues. It has a good build quality with nothing breaking off in these 3.5 years and also feels comfortable in the daily grind. One thing to note is that it gets a bit painful over the ears after long hours. Also the liners are the best when it comes to feeling plush.
I’d suggest the Axor Apex which is one step above the Rage and my current pick under 5k INR as it comes with an internal Sun visor and Pinlock Antifog bundled in the package. It also has some great looking liveries to opt from.
Both of these are ISI, DOT & ECE Certified.

However, if budget is no bar then I would definitely recommend the LS2 FF800 to which I’ve recently upgraded. It’s made with LS2’s proprietary KPA material and feels proper tough in its build. It also comes with ISI certification. The liners are miles ahead in the comfort factor when compared to Axor, SMK or other similarly priced options. It also has Bluetooth Speaker pockets, internal tinted sun visor, eyewear fit spaces, Pinlock 70s included, good air flow and good looking graphic options. It feels light on your head with no discomfort after long hours.
The only caveat in this near perfect option is it’s 11k INR price tag.
SMK is a good option in the 5k range which looks tough but is heavy. Also consider MT helmets as I’ve heard them to be of great quality.
As an advice, do get your son a good pair of gloves too. It might be uncomfortable initially but once you’re used to riding with gloves there’s no going back.
I’d be happy to help in any way I can.
Cheers,
Dr Rishi S

Came across Studds Thunder Bluetooth helmet on YouTube. Not sure if it was already discussed on Team-BHP and if I missed it. YouTube video is a month old.

For the price it sounds like a nice option. But I wonder how to operate those buttons. Trying to imagine it, don't know if it's odd or funny or both!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPGyS...IgYmx1ZXRvb3Ro

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biker Ram (Post 5600483)
But I wonder how to operate those buttons. Trying to imagine it, don't know if it's odd or funny or both!

You are supposed to use your tongue :D. Totally handsfree blue tooth operation.rl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biker Ram (Post 5600483)
Came across Studds Thunder Bluetooth helmet on YouTube. Not sure if it was already discussed on Team-BHP and if I missed it. YouTube video is a month old.

For the price it sounds like a nice option. But I wonder how to operate those buttons. Trying to imagine it, don't know if it's odd or funny or both!

Although it's funny at first thought, setting aside the question of safety, it's clever engineering for the price point.

The demographic for this helmet probably won't wear gloves and should find it easy to operate once familiar.This could be great value addition for delivery professionals.

Hello all, I recently got myself a Honda h'ness to get back to riding again. I currently have a Vega half-face helmet for local rides (usually within 3 to 4 kilometers). Now that I am looking to do long rides again, I am thinking of getting a full-face helmet.

Here are my priorities:
1. Budget around 10K
2. Best safety for the price.
3. As light and quiet as possible
4. Would be nice to set up earphones.
5. Tinted visor is nice, but I can do with goggles.
6. Color: black and as subtle as possible.

Looking through the past few pages, I see LS2 Storm is highly recommended. But I just can't seem to find anyone who has stock online or offline (I tried some of the shops in Bangalore, either the phone is not reachable/picked up or they don't deal with LS2). I am open to try other models if they are as good/bad as the LS2. So, the questions I have are:

1. What other models do you recommend?
2. Where can I try and buy in Bangalore?

TIA!

Quote:

Originally Posted by prakash_ajp (Post 5601561)
2. Where can I try and buy in Bangalore?

TIA!

Have you checked with 6Kiom in Kasturba road? Two weeks ago when i visited they had LS2 Storm in stock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prakash_ajp (Post 5601561)
Hello all, I recently got myself a Honda h'ness to get back to riding again.
TIA!

You can try Adeshwars Ryders Arena on Lalbagh main road. Call on 098864 29330 before you go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oppanna (Post 5601598)
Have you checked with 6Kiom in Kasturba road? Two weeks ago when i visited they had LS2 Storm in stock.

They didn't have my choice/size. Thanks anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kap04 (Post 5601616)
You can try Adeshwars Ryders Arena on Lalbagh main road. Call on 098864 29330 before you go.

Thanks a lot. Called and said they do have it in stock. I am planning to go soon and check out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prakash_ajp (Post 5601620)
Thanks a lot. Called and said they do have it in stock. I am planning to go soon and check out.

Great, good luck with getting one. Post the pics once you get it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oppanna (Post 5551947)
Visited another store near by and checked Axor series. Was meeting all the above 3 points. The Axor Apex Turbine model caught my attention, I quite liked the matt finish and especially NEON colour which is quite eye catchy on the day and
night too.Tested the helmet fit and it was just right fit for me. Picked up L size and have done 2 rides so far and i am quite comfortable when i use the ear plugs but it is noisy at 70 kmph and above if you do not use the ear plugs!

Have couple of rides planned over next two months and will share more detailed review.

Thanks

Hi Oppanna,
I have shortlisted this helmet too, because of how well it fits and looks, and couldnt really get much in terms of user reviews. Will be upgrading from a studds full face helmet to this because I am also going from a 160cc to a 400cc bike.

Could you share some thoughts on how the helmet is, considering you might have used it for 2-3 months now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazyrev (Post 5603297)
Could you share some thoughts on how the helmet is, considering you might have used it for 2-3 months now?

Yes its been 3 months since i picked this up and using it regularly. Have done around 15 day rides and 3 long rides so far apart from few commutes.

Neon Color is the highlight in his helmet. It is visible during day and night to an extent ( not like a radium though)

My helmet is matt finish and so far the neon color did not fade unlike the one's on the glossy finish helmets

Fit and finish is really good and wind noise exists when riding above 70 kmph. A good quality ear plugs solves this issue.

Pinlock is inbuilt and works as required too.

Please let me know if you are looking anything specific. Will be easy to address.