Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2022, 10:40   #16
BHPian

Re: Earplugs for high-speed motorcycle cruising

I really like Howard leight Max, no issues hearing horns or the surrounding. It is so comfortable to not try to hear things over the wind noise. I wear a Schuberth helmet, this is one the quietest helmets, but I still can't ride without earplugs on the freeway. I started wearing earplugs from day one, as everyone I rode with used to wear earplugs in Southern California. I have been wearing use and throw kind for some 22 years now. When I ride rental bikes on Indian highways, I still wear the same plugs, the horns penetrate the plugs with ease.

The issue with reusable ones is cleanliness. I need to soak it in soapy water and dry it before reuse. I am not good at this. During breaks if I put it in dirty pockets, chances of ear infection is there. It is very common for people to get headaches after riding on highways for hours. That is the brains telling us, it is tired of the noise. I think on the lines of the points mentioned here.

https://we-ridewell.com/why-motorcyc...wear-earplugs/
GutsyGibbon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 11:55   #17

I am using Alpine MotoSafe Race for touring. These are absolutely fantastic, really drops engine noise (of my noisy L-twin) and wind noise, but allows me to hear all imp sounds like horns, people talking, etc. I have to still be very careful, since other vehicle's engine noise is also attenuated. Quite confident other brands are also very good, but did not test them personally.

Expensive than foam plugs, but does not attenuate across the entire audio range. One may opt for MotoSafe Pro, in case they want more awareness of surroundings.

Link for reference:
https://www.riderzplanet.com/product...31090692030561

PS: There is a debate on legality, which I do not have any idea about.
Tuborog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 12:08   #18
BHPian

Though I don't have experience of such bikes, I suggest 'Active Noise Cancelling' headphone from Bose.

It is the low frequency rumble that is more tiring than rest of the audio frequencies. Bose ANC headphone do the excellent job of cancelling low frequency noise.

Added advantage of this headphone is they do not effectively block mid tone frequencies so you can hear honking from other vehicles is big plus over ear plugs. Go for bluetooth ANC headphones.
IP_Man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 16:08   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
Though I don't have experience of such bikes, I suggest 'Active Noise Cancelling' headphone from Bose.

It is the low frequency rumble that is more tiring than rest of the audio frequencies. Bose ANC headphone do the excellent job of cancelling low frequency noise.

Added advantage of this headphone is they do not effectively block mid tone frequencies so you can hear honking from other vehicles is big plus over ear plugs. Go for bluetooth ANC headphones.
Though they are good for short durations , there are many unconfirmed reports of people having hearing loss due to continuous use of ANC headphones. I would err on the side of caution.
rajeevyes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 16:49   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
If the wind noise is so bad then maybe you need a better helmet honestly. Or a better fitting one. Or both.
The extent of how much wind noise bothers someone is VERY subjective.

Just to be clear, I wear a snug fitting HJC FG-ST which is an excellent helmet in terms of safety and also quite good at wind noise protection (with the chin curtain on). So I don't think I can get a better helmet or a better fitting one for the given money.

My personal experience has been that helmets alone cannot prevent wind noise from causing fatigue. This is fine for 300-400km rides. But when I'm going 700+ in a single day, the wind noise does bother me. Also, there is no solve for cross winds which happens quite a lot.

My only argument here is that an earplug that selectively cancels wind noise is no more dangerous than not wearing one. If anything, I'd argue it is safer.
krishnakumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 16:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post

Compared to NoNoise, how would you rate the Pinlock ear plugs with respect to comfort and hearing protection?
I felt the Pinlock brand to be much better than the Nonoise. One more issue faced with Nonoise was the vaccum feeling created, which is very irritating. With Pinlock till now no such issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashant1286 View Post
Thanks for the info. I have used pinlock inserts on my visor but I did not know that they make earplugs as well.

However, I am not sure of the utility of earplugs on while riding a motorcycle. To me, the idea of a ride is to be one with the surroundings and a little bit of stimulus to my ear is a welcome thought. Also, it aids my awareness, makes my reactions sharper and I can hear the sweet revving sound of the engine.

Fo the longest time, I had been using Shoei RF 1200 (Marquez ANT) which is also considered a very quiet helmet. But still, I used to feel the wind noise, Let me tell you I'm riding Multistrada 1260S which has decent wind blast protection.

But at unmentionable speeds( Mods: How can I describe the speed, without getting infraction ) the effect of wind noise is profound & leads to severe irritation. This has nothing to do with the fitment of helmets, trust me my helmets are pretty tight/snug fit.

As you said the idea of the ride to be one with the surroundings and a little bit of stimulus sounds good when you are on a shorter ride. When the kilometers and hours build up, then you will find how useful it is to have earplugs to protect your ears.

As @GustyGibbon mentions in the below post even the great Schuberth, considered as the quietest of the lot, is fallible to wind noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
I really like Howard leight Max, no issues hearing horns or the surrounding. It is so comfortable to not try to hear things over the wind noise. I wear a Schuberth helmet, this is one the quietest helmets, but I still can't ride without earplugs on the freeway. I started wearing earplugs from day one, as everyone I rode with used to wear earplugs in Southern California.
It is very common for people to get headaches after riding on highways for hours. That is the brains telling us, it is tired of the noise. I think on the lines of the points mentioned here.

+1. I'm able to hear the horns and other noise, this earplugs just attenuate noise by 22 to 30dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post

The problem with active noise canceling devices is the battery life or you need to use the wired one. Still, it is a hassle with wires hanging down. My ride buddy used to use it but now switched to an Alpine Earplug setup.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th January 2022 at 19:13. Reason: As requested
Old 25th January 2022, 17:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
My only argument here is that an earplug that selectively cancels wind noise is no more dangerous than not wearing one. If anything, I'd argue it is safer.
I do not agree with you. But your helmet is definitely a very nice one. ��

Most of my riding has been with much humbler Studds, and then MPA and AGV helmets (same shell).

I bought a fancy Shark. But then I became a cyclist, and now don a Bell.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 25th January 2022 at 17:04.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 18:46   #23
BHPian

Excellent article , thanks to @GustyGibbon. Must read

Quoting few passages from the article.

Quote:
It wasn’t until I started riding the FZ longer and farther that I first tried wearing them. And, honestly, at first I didn’t see what the big deal was. Sure, the wind was quieter, but so what?

But the next time I got on the highway without them, I understood. All this time, the wind noise had been uncomfortably loud — I just hadn’t realized it.

How Loud Sounds Damage Your Hearing
There’s an obvious benefit to wearing earplugs while blasting 75 MPH down the highway. With earplugs in, it’s quieter and much more comfortable.

But what most riders don’t realize — and what I didn’t realize — is that hearing damage is about long-term exposure, not minute-by-minute noise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I do not agree with you. But your helmet is definitely a very nice one. ��

Most of my riding has been with much humbler Studds, and then MPA and AGV helmets (same shell).

I bought a fancy Shark. But then I became a cyclist, and now don a Bell.

Cheers, Doc
Doc, may be you are not realizing the effects or may be your are not riding at obscene speeds(which I can say is not true, since you are a KTM rider)

Last edited by Vasuki : 25th January 2022 at 18:53.
Vasuki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 18:58   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevyes View Post
Though they are good for short durations , there are many unconfirmed reports of people having hearing loss due to continuous use of ANC headphones. I would err on the side of caution.
On the contrary ANC headphones saves your ear.

Hearing loss is from continuous exposure of high volume I think above 85 DB from any headphone.

Since ANC headphone cancel background noise you tend to keep lesser volume compared to non ANC headphones.

Be it ANC or non ANC, my advice is keep bare minimum volume and take break in between to prevent hearing loss.

Regarding battery life, my wired Bose QC-15 easily gives more than 20 hrs on single AAA alkaline battery. Chord is detachable if you just want ANC function.

Bluetooth ANC also has 20hr battery life on single charge.
Old 25th January 2022, 19:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Doc, may be you are not realizing the effects or may be your are not riding at obscene speeds(which I can say is not true, since you are a KTM rider)
I'm usually as obscene as the bike and terrain and light allow me to be.

I'd rather be tired than run over from behind because something in my ear caused me not to hear it till it was too late.

I do listen to music in the Safari or my Baleno though. Totally different dynamics and senses at play in a car with the windows rolled up.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 25th January 2022 at 19:31.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 20:42   #26
BHPian

Quote:
For the longest time, I had been using Shoei RF 1200 (Marquez ANT) which is also considered a very quiet helmet.

As you said the idea of the ride to be one with the surroundings and a little bit of stimulus sounds good when you are on a shorter ride. When the kilometers and hours build up, then you will find how useful it is to have earplugs to protect your ears.
I guess then it's the difference in our acceptable thresholds.

Although I have a much humble ride, a KTM 390 Duke, I have frequently ridden her for 8-10 hours at the speeds that our highways allow. However, I never felt the need for earplugs.

Every rider is different I guess.

Ride safe and ride long brother!
Prashant1286 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 21:46   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A motorcycle rider can easily relate to the below issue.

I used NoNoise earplugs, bought from Bikenbiker for Rs.1800\-.
Then after some consultation with my partner in crime, Lovelin, found this particular brand. He ordered it for me from abroad. It costed some ~Rs.2000\-...

Link to the product : Pinlock Earplugs
Great share. Do they ship to India? I see the re-seller is UK based.

I was thinking of taking the plunge for the NoNoise from bikenbiker and I just saved almost 2000/-.

I use a Caberg Duke 2 modular, which is supposedly a low noise helmet and I can't understand why anyone calls it a low noise.

I tried a 3M ear plug and things were fine. Also, a friend suggested Honeywell ear plug (use and throw) and tried it back to back along with 3M and found Honeywell to be better.

Ordered a 50 pack from Amazon and also sharing with few rider friends.

Link : https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07VN8F3R2?...p_mob_ap_share

======

I don't know why everyone jumps the gun on the forum in the guise of safe driving offlate. Anyone who has used a ear plug would know it doesn't make the rider feel like sitting in a sound proof chamber ! You bl**dy hear everything thing but probably at a 50% volume than normal.

Secondly, any vehicle capable of overtaking modern bikes have high refinement levels and you don't anyway hear the engine noise till they whoosh past you (ear plugs or not) ! And yeah, if they honk, you'll hear that for sure as well (with ear plugs)

And for those who don't know, the high wind noise can lead to deafness over time - some safety measures are required to control the damage.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 25th January 2022 at 21:57.
swiftnfurious is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 07:13   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I don't know why everyone jumps the gun on the forum in the guise of safe driving offlate. Anyone who has used a ear plug would know it doesn't make the rider feel like sitting in a sound proof chamber ! You bl**dy hear everything thing but probably at a 50% volume than normal.
People freak out at various things at various levels. There is no point in wearing earplugs, if one is always terrified of not hearing something. My policy is do nothing that eliminates a sense of calm alertness while riding.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 10:46   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Great share. Do they ship to India? I see the re-seller is UK based.
My friend had someone carry it from abroad. Shipping to India is pretty costly almost 75% of the value as shipping charges in this particular case. It would be better for someone to carry it to India.

Quote:

Secondly, any vehicle capable of overtaking modern bikes have high refinement levels and you don't anyway hear the engine noise till they whoosh past you (ear plugs or not) ! And yeah, if they honk, you'll hear that for sure as well (with ear plugs)

And for those who don't know, the high wind noise can lead to deafness over time - some safety measures are required to control the damage.
Exactly my point, the volume is attenuated max to 25% to 30% which itself is pretty good. People don't realise the constant wind noise can lead to lack of concentration, headache, other fatigues, and ultimately permanent hearing loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashant1286 View Post
I guess then it's the difference in our acceptable thresholds.

Although I have a much humble ride, a KTM 390 Duke, I have frequently ridden her for 8-10 hours at the speeds that our highways allow. However, I never felt the need for earplugs.

Every rider is different I guess.

Ride safe and ride long brother!
Don't kid brother, your bike is not humble as you would say. My ride buddy has the same duke 390 and he is the fastest in our group.

Normally we cover 700 to 900 km in a day and there are instances where we rode 1200+, which means more than 14 to 15hrs on the saddle. During such stints many variables lead to fatigue and wind noise is one of them. Buddies in our group use earplugs and they vouch for it. We use intercoms also and all sounds are heard clearly till now. As pointed out in the article mentioned by GustyGibbion, you really don't know what you are missing unless you try it out.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th January 2022 at 19:28. Reason: As requested
Vasuki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 11:02   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
People don't realise the constant wind noise can lead to lack of concentration, headache, other fatigues, and ultimately permanent hearing loss.
People have been riding motorcycles for over a century without silicone plugs in their ears.

Those who feel the need to use them can use them without feeling the need to rationalize on the backs of generations of bikers who have not and never will.

I know many old bikers. Most of them rallyists and racers.

None of them use hearing aids.

None of them also got ran over from behind.

Which is why they are old bikers.

As for fatigue, concentration, headaches, etc etc etc , Velominati Rule #5 for cyclists holds equally true here

https://www.velominati.com/

Get fit. Stay alive.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 26th January 2022 at 11:20.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks