Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2023, 10:03   #61
BHPian

Re: Earplugs for high-speed motorcycle cruising

Rode 250 kms y'day on a really loud and fast bike. Riding in the city was fairly ok, but as the exposure to the sound prolonged, I realized that I simply can't do without earplugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
A friend was not happy with these inexpensive 3M ear plugs and tried out the slightly pricier ones that retail for around Rs 60 a pair. He absolutely loves them and gifted me a pair to try out. I need to experiment with this model and see if it is better (or worse) than the basic ones that I am happy with.
I have the exact same ones for office. Will try these out, the next I get a chance, and update here.
Old 14th April 2023, 09:25   #62
BHPian

I've been using Alpine Motosafe for well over 16,000 Kms on the Highway and I can say they are one of the best earplugs made. Before this I used to have 3m plugs stashed in my jacket, but replacing them became a chore. Now I just have these and wind noise and the exhaust note is reduced significantly, but horns and other external noise can still come through.

In case if people still are wondering why earplugs are necessary, FortNine made an amazing video showcasing why!

dheer4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 18:01   #63
BHPian

This July I switched from the 10 bucks a pop 3M foam earplugs to Oxford filter plugs that I bought from Lazy Ass Bikers in Mumbai for Rs. 2000. I switched because I was riding in the rain and when I stopped on the side of the road, the earplugs got wet because of my damp hands and since they were wet, they could not be squeezed and rolled like they're supposed to. As a result, I couldn't put them back in my ears.

Pro: The oxford plugs have a filter that lets out air and equalizes pressure so you don't get that ear popping feeling every time you turn or swallow.

Con: The oxford plugs aren't as deadening as the 3M plugs so the noise levels are a little higher than the 3M foam plugs. Wind noise levels will still be high(depending on your helmet and windscreen situation, of course) but a LOT more bearable than not having ear plugs at all.

I bought these because I was riding through Mumbai and was staying close to LABs and this is the only option they had and I desperately needed plugs. Given the choice, I might want to try out the Pinlock ones that Vasuki mentioned in the first post next time.

Overall I rate them 4/5 for convenience(easy to insert), and packing(comes in a handy little metal box that's easy to carry and store). Docking 1 star because noise deadening could be better.

Hope this helps. Cheers.
BoltThrower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 19:04   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
My biggest gripe with these earplugs (both Pinlock and Nonoise), as compared to the cheap ones from 3M, is frequent breakage of seal, mostly while riding during the afternoon when it gets hotter. So, I stop, take off helmet, gloves & balaclava, clean the plugs, my ears and then carefully put them on again, just to find the seal breaking again in 30-40 minutes.
Came across this video and I have been following this method for inserting NoNoise & Pinlock earplugs - works so much better and seals aren't breaking much - infact, only once or twice in my last 4000 km ride.
siddhant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 19:22   #65
BHPian

Hello esteemed members,
I am in the market looking to buy a earplug. The current options are
1) NoNoise
2) Pinlock
3) Oxford
4) Alpine Motosafe
It would be helpful to get some insights on the above products (or any alternatives ) if any.
Going through this thread has confused me further ��
Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 22:27   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeeshaan007 View Post
I am in the market looking to buy a earplug. The current options are
1) NoNoise
I am using NoNoise since 3 months and find them extremely comfortable and effective filtering out all the irritating wind noise but still letting other sounds through. They stay perfectly in place under my balaclava and helmet even while taking the helmet off. Haven’t tried any other brands so no idea.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 12:03   #67
Senior - BHPian

I use EARPEACE. But I hear alpine ones are good
Quote:
Alpine Motosafe
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 12:37   #68
BHPian

Quote:
2) Pinlock
I've been using the pinlocks for a year now and its been great. You get 2 sizes as well and it does not fall off your ears easily.
aston_martyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 09:20   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am in the market looking to buy a earplug.
I have used NoNoise and 3M reusable ear plugs.
I noticed my trouble was more with tyre noise from other vehicles than nearby exhaust sounds. From that aspect, NoNoise was hardly of any help, noise filtering was non-existent.
Contrastingly, 3M reusable ear plugs provided much more silent ride filtering out most of surrounding noise while still letting in sounds of horn, siren.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 12:04   #70
Senior - BHPian

The 3M ones were handed with every pass at the AbuDhabi Grand Prix and they blocked out full noise, much to my comfort. Biking specific ones like Earpeace let in some ambient sounds. This is the difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
3M reusable ear plugs.
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 12:41   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The 3M ones were handed with every pass at the AbuDhabi Grand Prix and they blocked out full noise, much to my comfort. Biking specific ones like Earpeace let in some ambient sounds. This is the difference.
I use Honeywell ones. They're more comfortable than 3M ones and only slightly worse in noise isolation. Plus the glued ends on 3M comes off many times, leaving the foam stuck inside the ear which wont happen with the Honeywell. Plus they're cheaper

https://www.amazon.in/Honeywell-304L.../dp/B08378NY57
Old 28th March 2024, 13:44   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The 3M ones were handed with every pass at the AbuDhabi Grand Prix and they blocked out full noise, much to my comfort.
These foam earplugs are single use only, not reusable. Having used these on day-long rides, ears start paining towards end of day. Such a ride includes multiple stops (plugs removal and insertion). I won't recommend usage of foam ear plugs beyond couple of hours on motorcycle and never reuse foam ear plugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Plus the glued ends on 3M comes off many times, leaving the foam stuck inside the ear which wont happen with the Honeywell. Plus they're cheaper
3M has 2 different models, single use and reusable.

In my usage of over 6 years, Reusable aspect shouldn't be misused beyond a riding season. I change it every 6 months and wash ear plugs with tap water after every 2 days of riding.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 12:00   #73
Senior - BHPian

I spotted the Alpine MotoSafe on sale at a brick and mortar store, overseas, and got it really cheap. Looks like a snail dunked in colour vat . If you see the back, the (antenna kind of) protrusion allows easy pull-out. Fit is really good, cant make out it's in.
Attached Thumbnails
Earplugs for high-speed motorcycle cruising-img_7951.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 29th March 2024 at 12:03.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 20:39   #74
BHPian

Alpine Motosafe is currently unavailable in India. I need to check if I can source it from abroad
Old 31st March 2024, 07:14   #75
BHPian

I own both NoNoise and Pinlock. Between the two, I'd recommend Pinlock for its comfort over longer distances. Both have similar noise attenuation levels but NoNoise provides a nice case for the earplugs. By the way, I also stumbled upon Akro motorcycling earplugs and the two reviews on the website sound positive. Maybe worth a try!
siddhant is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks