Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2022, 20:40   #46
BHPian

Re: Earplugs for high-speed motorcycle cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Please stick to product reviews and recommendations.
Thank you very much for bringing the thread back to the intended topic and purpose. Now since that's clarified let me give my 2 cents and hopefully it helps someone decide.
I am guilty of buying motorcycling gear in excess and ear plugs are no different. I bought the 3M plugs but I found them too muffled and I could feel something physical plugged in my ear trying to work it's way loose with every head shake/turn, I guess that was psychological but was distracting. So I switched to two products which I use in tandem and only on highway runs, nonoise and Alpine. I can only speak about these two and how they work for me. Once plugged in the ear I hardly notice any difference except a slight muffle (akin to closing a car door). I can still hear everything around me. At highway speeds I can still hear subtle changes in engine note and surrounding traffic, only difference is there is no change in wind noise pitch and volume it stays constant even with varying speeds. The biggest plus is they don't feel like they are trying to work their way loose.The only time I notice any difference is if I forget to ride with them(hardly happens), there is a stark difference, sounds seem louder and wind noise becomes uncomfortable.
Can it prevent Tinnitus? I have no idea because I already have tinnitus and no clue what caused it. Could be 8 hour shifts wearing a headset at the start of my career, listening to loud music with earphones, sitting next to the speakers to feel the base at concerts/pubs or extended hours on a motorcycle at 100+ kmph. It is not debilitating and contrary to popular belief it does not automatically mean you will lose your hearing. Think of it as a constant ringing in your ears especially when you are alone in a quiet place. So the only reason I personally use ear plugs is to keep wind noise at a constant and I find these two products really good at that.
deepfreak15 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 23:43   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

I spent the majority of my riding years without earplugs but once I started using them, I found that I couldnt ride without them. Ive been advocating the use of earplugs on the Helmets thread for ages.

Ive seen people use earplugs that cost Rs 15 and others that use earplugs that cost Rs 2,000. All my friends who use earplugs swear by them and wont ride without them. And there are many others that I ride with, who wont use earplugs at all.

I use the el cheapo 3M earplugs that cost Rs 15 and have a bunch stashed in every jacket pocket and bag of mine.

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 755
Size:  128.0 KB

The trick to reusing these ear plugs is to run a bit of water over it and then slide it in your ear. That way it fits in your ear canal perfectly and wont pop out with any head movements. In the city, on the highway, on the race track and everywhere else, these earplugs significantly cut down on noise (especially droning wind noise) and greatly enhance the riding experience.

A friend was not happy with these inexpensive 3M ear plugs and tried out the slightly pricier ones that retail for around Rs 60 a pair. He absolutely loves them and gifted me a pair to try out. I need to experiment with this model and see if it is better (or worse) than the basic ones that I am happy with.

Name:  2.PNG
Views: 754
Size:  57.8 KB

To me, there is a significant benefit to riding with earplugs and I would strongly recommend that riders at least try riding with it before deciding one way or the other.
neil.jericho is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 06:56   #48
BHPian

I use the el cheapo 3M plugs as well. They make a significant difference in the wind noise - especially when I add my windshield during monsoons. I see a slight reduction in other noises, but I can still hear the traffic pretty well.

The only problem I see is when I stop and have to talk to someone - I can hardly hear them and have to ask them to repeat what they just said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
The trick to reusing these ear plugs is to run a bit of water over it and then slide it in your ear. That way it fits in your ear canal perfectly and wont pop out with any head movements.
I vaguely remember that you mentioned this this tip somewhere else in the forum. I've been doing that every since.

I just remove the excess water using a clean handkerchief (don't want to give myself a wet willie ) but they fit in much better. The effect is more pronounced when the plugs have been used for a few times and seem to lose their "compression ability".
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 21:35   #49
BHPian

Very interesting thread. I have been using earplugs for slightly over a year, rode more than a decade before that without them. And now I am unable to ride without them. I use the basic 3M earplugs.
Earplugs for high-speed motorcycle cruising-3m.jpg
Earplugs cut down a lot of wind noise while letting the sound of car horns albeit at a lower intensity. Without the wind noise, concentration improves and fatigue reduces.
One needs to actually use them to understand the difference. Even though I had read about the benefits long back, never got around to trying it. I have now suggested this to a couple of my friends and all of them are quite happy. A simple test would be to listen to a song at comfortable volume while riding at typical cruising speed through the intercom and then come to a halt. In most cases, the volume level would be so high that it would be unbearable when the bike is stationary.
Meph1st0 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 14:42   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I use the el cheapo 3M earplugs that cost Rs 15 and have a bunch stashed in every jacket pocket and bag of mine.

A friend was not happy with these inexpensive 3M ear plugs and tried out the slightly pricier ones that retail for around Rs 60 a pair. He absolutely loves them and gifted me a pair to try out. I need to experiment with this model and see if it is better (or worse) than the basic ones that I am happy with.
Same with me but may be I'm that friend! I use the 3M reusable ones now and I don't feel comfortable without one on the highways.

The reduction in far-farr wind noise inside the helmet is reduced drastically. Yes, it took some time and rides to get used to them. Yes, we do shout at each other when we stop but that's one of those biker things!

I've read great reviews of NoNoise ear plugs, will try them out some day which seems quite costly as of now.

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 19:28   #51
BHPian

Earplugs for high-speed motorcycle cruising-8dd1fb2aa99a4ea7a8edbd29a446fb21.png

I use a neck warmer, but not like most other bikers (wrapping it over their head). I simply pull the sides upto my ears and tuck them above my ears. I also have long hair and a Bluetooth headset for music, so this combination helps. Alternatively, a balaclava might work.

There’s no foolproof method of cutting down every % of wind noise but my method and a quiet helmet go a long way. I’m afraid of stuffing the 3M ear plugs in, for fear of them getting lodged inside.

P.S: Studds helmets are relatively quieter than slightly more expensive ones Though, of course, the ventilation and safety isn’t as much.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 10:24   #52
BHPian

Thanks for starting this thread.

I switched to NoNoise 4-5 years back as I used to feel suffocated with the isolated feel that the 3M foam plugs provide.
I have been kinda satisfied with the NoNoise plugs. Comfort levels are quite good. I can wear them for 3-4 hours at a stretch at least without feeling any ear pain. I am far more aware of my surroundings at highway speeds than I would be without any plugs.
Downsides are the wind noise isolation isn't upto my expectation and the seal it creates with the ear gets broken when traveling on patchy/bumpy roads which would need reinsertion every 50-100 km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post

I used NoNoise earplugs, bought from Bikenbiker for Rs.1800\-.

Was not really satisfied with this product, as it could not provide the comfort which I hoped it would. Then I misplaced it and thought of buying 3M earplugs which cost pretty less and are generally use-and-throw variants.
The wind noise isolation capability that I stated before is my biggest gripe. While it is sufficient upto 100 km/h or so, it does get quite loud on windy days at over 100 km/h.
You mentioned that NoNoise wasn't to your liking in terms of comfort and you seem to be satisfied with the wind noise isolation capabilities of Pinlock.

How would you compare the wind noise isolation capabilities alone of NoNoise and Pinlock? Is it significantly better in Pinlock? Would it be worth upgrading for someone who has no comfort issues with NoNoise and is looking only for better wind noise filtration?

Last edited by theredliner : 3rd February 2022 at 10:26.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 10:41   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Thanks for starting this thread.

How would you compare the wind noise isolation capabilities alone of NoNoise and Pinlock? Is it significantly better in Pinlock? Would it be worth upgrading for someone who has no comfort issues with NoNoise and is looking only for better wind noise filtration?
I found the Pinlock to be much better than Nonoise. The testing is still in the initial stages, was able to wear it for longer periods ~ 6 hrs.

I cannot say the speeds as per forum rules but can say it performed quite well up to speeds ~1.7 times of the speed you quoted.
Vasuki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 13:59   #54
D3A

My 2 cents, all personal experience:

#Generic earplugs like 3M will isolate you from traffic and vehicle horns way too much. Dangerous!

#NoNoise earplugs work well. You can hear the horns.

#And now what I use these days: Noise Cancelling Earphones on ambient sound mode, not on noise cancelling mode. These days noise cancelling earphones like the Samsung Buds Pro come with Ambient Sound Mode, with adjustable ambient sound levels. You can listen to music, still listen to all the ambient traffic noise (at a level you are comfortable, remember its adjustable). The only negative is that they always fall off the ears when you remove the helmet.

Regards
D3A
D3A is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 16:43   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashant1286 View Post
However, I am not sure of the utility of earplugs on while riding a motorcycle.
Quoting my old post here.

Had the opportunity of riding out to Coimbatore for a tyre change for my KTM yesterday. Also had a decent run on Coimbatore-Bangalore highway to break-in the new tyres and then returned to Conoor.

With the discussion that happened on this thread on the back of my mind, I tried plugging in my wireless earplugs inside the helmet before the highway run. This was only the second time that I were trying earplugs while riding. The earlier ones were cheap 3M earplugs which spoiled it for me.

I did feel that the helmet was quieter at triple digit speeds and did not feel the need for taking them off on the return leg. I can understand now why folks prefer to use earplugs while riding, though I am still not a convert.

However, I must mention that where I went wrong was not taking out the earplugs while climbing up the Nilgiris. On the highways, the visual sight and RVMs were aiding my awareness. On the hills, however, absence of line of sight coupled with reduction in sound resulted in compromised awareness and twice I was surprised by vehicles emerging out of blind turns.

All in all, I may try them once again on highway runs but I am never putting earplugs again on twisties.

OT: I have just installed Michelin Road 5s on the KTM. They are not a corner-craver like Metzelers, but are much more well rounded tyres. The grip on wet and bad roads is much better than Metzelers.
Prashant1286 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 18:38   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3A View Post

#And now what I use these days: Noise Cancelling Earphones on ambient sound mode, not on noise cancelling mode.

The only negative is that they always fall off the ears when you remove the helmet.
Another negative of the above would be the battery charge. You cannot use it for a long run, most of the noise-canceling earphones give a charge of 4 to 6 hrs.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 09:38   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuborog View Post
I am using Alpine MotoSafe Race for touring.
Hello Tuborog, I purchased the Alpine Motosafe and use it along with Axor Apex. The moment I wear my helmet, the plugs get pushed in and cause immense pain in both the ears. What am I doing wrong?

Followed the steps on the pamphlet to the T, yet unable to use the plugs.
Old 22nd August 2022, 12:21   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetrivaaganam View Post
Hello Tuborog, I purchased the Alpine Motosafe and use it along with Axor Apex. The moment I wear my helmet, the plugs get pushed in and cause immense pain in both the ears. What am I doing wrong?

Followed the steps on the pamphlet to the T, yet unable to use the plugs.
Hey, Looks like you need to change the size of tips. Box should have some options. Otherwise, my buds are so soft, that I do not feel any discomfort. I am using LS2 helmet, which is snug on my face (cheeks are pressed well by the helmet), still I do not feel anything on my ears. You may also try using Balaclava, see if this adds to comfort. Let me know if this helps!
Old 30th January 2023, 18:08   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
I found the Pinlock to be much better than Nonoise. The testing is still in the initial stages, was able to wear it for longer periods ~ 6 hrs.
Since I have gotten my hands on a pair of Pinlock earplugs, I have used the Nonoise ones only once. After riding with Pinlock for 4000+ kms and with Nonoise for 10000+ kms, I can confidently say that Pinlock ones are more comfortable over long periods but both fare equally well as far as noise reduction is concerned.

My biggest gripe with these earplugs (both Pinlock and Nonoise), as compared to the cheap ones from 3M, is frequent breakage of seal, mostly while riding during the afternoon when it gets hotter. So, I stop, take off helmet, gloves & balaclava, clean the plugs, my ears and then carefully put them on again, just to find the seal breaking again in 30-40 minutes.

Last edited by siddhant : 30th January 2023 at 18:10.
Old 31st January 2023, 10:42   #60
BHPian

I have used nonoise for a few 1000s of highway kms and 3M ones for some 1000 (lost the nonoise). 3Ms do plug off a whole lot more noise than the other.. and I will definitely never wear them in city traffic.
Tried to use my ambient-noise enabled earphones for some city rides. The experience left me completely thrown off as the ambient functionality would keep shutting off and on depending on the sensor, and it kept throwing off my concentration while riding. Tried it with the setting off too. Would like to figure a solution to this at some point, but for now focusing on the ride and not the calls.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks