Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2008, 10:33   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Finally, can any one suggest me a good helmet.
raj.

Read thru

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...99-helmet.html
Old 8th January 2008, 11:58   #47
BHPian

Can't get over this gap in quality of helmets: as the ARAI CEO said years ago, he knew of only 1 std in human heads so made helmets meeting just one safety parameter....the highest. Only the v short-sighted think of the buck saved when buying tin-pot stuff off the pavements that are best suited as emergency highway 'potties'. Don't they value their lives?
Old 30th July 2008, 11:20   #48
Senior - BHPian

Where to wear the Helmet!!!

I have seen many people on the roads that when they are driving the 2 wheelers, putting the helmet in their hands, Vehicle mirror or hang it to anywhere on the bikes.

We are talking about Airbags, ABS for cars to be mandatory concerning about the safety of people. But the only (or the main) safety equipment for 2 wheelers is this helmet. And that too coming at such a low prices. Why does people ignore such safety?

Helmets are not to be put just because cops will fine you, but its for one's own safety. No excuses right?

With the high power bike launches and on the road, this is a MUST.

How many of us use helmet in the right place it is to be put, HEAD?

I wish I could get some pictures of these scenes. Will post it once I am lucky to get some.

How about you?

I wish to use this thread to post such pictures. You can also post accident pictures in this to highlight the importance of the Helmet.

Cheers.
Old 30th July 2008, 11:28   #49
BANNED

If you wear helmet, you will lose your hair style !! Thats the reason many don't wear it.
We need an helmet which can keep the hair style intact.
Old 30th July 2008, 11:38   #50
Senior - BHPian

Well, the main reason behind this ignorance about own safety. There is not proper education about this and there is absolutely no environment for adapting helmet. So, it has to be forced by cops.

Even one put helmet on ones HEAD, many of them would not tie straps. It is used just like CAP. This is also equally ignorant.

So, following care should be taken while using/buying two wheelers:

1. Buy good quality helmet. Always look for ISI mark. Do not ever buy helmets from street vendors. Good quality helmets are available Rs. 800 and above.

2. Strap is there tight is properly and then always fasten it. Well without fastening strap it is as good as not wearing helmet.

3. Always buy proper size of helmet. Too loose or too tight will make it uncomfortable and reduce the safety.

4. Always insist for good quality of visor. Most of the visors in market are prone to heavy scratches, which drastically reduce visibility and while it rains and during night it is almost not visible.

5. Last and but not least: Use your own helmet for hygienic purpose. Avoid sharing your helmet even at home.
Old 30th July 2008, 11:38   #51
Senior - BHPian

Yeah ironically we live in a country where people value their hair more than their head.

I have seen smart people keeping their helmets on RVMs etc & wear them once they reach office campus since its mandatory huh who are they fooling?

Btw Wearing helmets without the strap tied is as good as not wearing one
Old 30th July 2008, 11:40   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

Btw Wearing helmets without the strap tied is as good as not wearing one

Blasted a colleague yesterday who had snipped of the straps as they were in his opinion irritating.
Old 30th July 2008, 11:56   #53
BHPian

Helmet carelessness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I have seen smart people keeping their helmets on RVMs etc & wear them once they reach office campus since its mandatory huh who are they fooling?
Last year in my office, one smart guy got killed. He had hung his helmet on the bike, then proceeded with a cellphone conversation on the busy Hosur road in Bengaluru.

Also this thing of wearing helmet when cop sees you..Have seen people lose balance performing this circus on road.

Heard that a tragedy struck a couple in Aurangabad doing this. Couple riding on a bike/scooter, and not wearing but 'carrying' a helmet. Guy notices the cop and urges the lady to put the helmet on his head. Lady does it for sure but the helmet is on the guy's head the other way round. The guy is completely blinded, loses control and hits a lorry...

So much for the carelessness. These people deserve to only die...
Old 30th July 2008, 11:59   #54
BANNED

Small correction: They have done no crime, these people don't deserve to die - they don't deserve to be on road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
So much for the carelessness. These people deserve to only die...
Old 30th July 2008, 12:12   #55
BHPian

As I mentioned in one of the threads, people wear their helmet when they stop at signals so the cops do not catch them. They need to realize they are fooling themselves.

saw this scene a few days back in Bangalore- It was raining, so our hero on a honda activa has a umbrella in his left hand, his head was on his shoulder since he was holding his mobile phone there and talking to may be George Bush or Obama

Thiyags
Old 30th July 2008, 12:22   #56
Team-BHP Support

Some people tell me that life and death are in the hands of God.
There is nothing anyone can do about it.
It does not matter if you wear a helmet or not. Or to be more precise nothing is going to save them once the time has come.

These people don't understand: free will.

Maybe when they meet God. They will be asked why they gave up such a beautifull life. Just because they did not understand that God had given them a choice to wear a helmet and survive that accident.

I choose to make the best of my life.
My greatest worship is to make the most of all the blessing.
Old 30th July 2008, 14:23   #57
BHPian

Sad part about India is that people here only wear the Helmet because its a rule, because the cops would fine them if they dont wear one.

The other day I saw this smartass who had a helmet but wasnt wearing it because he was smoking and riding the bike the same time. I guess he wanted to be like the cool superhero or something lol!

Very few actually wear a helmet to protect their heads.
Old 30th July 2008, 14:25   #58
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful Post bblost I hope those who think like that read this message.
Old 30th July 2008, 15:11   #59
Senior - BHPian

A long time ago there used to be an ad on tv where they used a hammer to smash a coconut and the next scene had a coconut covered by a helmet which saved the coconut from smashing. The punchline was "marzi hai aapki, kyon ki sar hai aapka" Translation : its your choice, afterall its your head.
That ad had such an impact on me that as soon as I got my first 2 wheeler, I got a studds classic helmet which fitted perfectly. Everyone in school used to pull my leg but I never cared, my head, right ?

I think such hard hitting advertisments should start again to give some kind of education to ppl.
Old 27th August 2008, 15:14   #60
Senior - BHPian

Here you go with the picture. I saw this guy going so fast on the ORR today with helmet on his "less-than-half-head". I was wondering whats happening.
Name:  1hel.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  198.7 KB

Using a Helmet-2hel.jpg
Here is the answer. The guy is busy on Phone driving at that speed with such helmet.

I infact tried to see his number plate, but its all RED. Why? He only knows.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks