Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2024, 18:33   #4936
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaas View Post
Haha now I know of three people (including myself) who took advantage of this sale and got these very gloves! Obviously not the safest in their lineup - but definitely great in terms of ventilation, comfort and ease of use. The fit seemed better than the Roost from Viaterra and the offroad gloves from Rynox. Though they offer slightly better protection too.
Haha! It did seem like something one could throw a bit of money at and feel like they stole it
I had the Roost for a while but it ended up giving me a lot of pain on the palms. I wasn't sure if it was because of the design in general or specifically, the gloves I got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaas View Post
Negatives: There were some strands coming off at the edge of the fingers and palms - atleast in mine. And the right glove 'honeycomb' structure digs into the knuckles - when moving (opening/closing) the throttle especially during some challenging trails/patches.

Maybe they'll ease up or I'll get used to it - whichever scenario it is, I'm not complaining!
Similar for negative #1 above. But in different places I guess. Meshy stuff typically does this I guess.

The Riding Gear thread-20240509_170245.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20240509_170248.jpg

I hope your knuckle pain subsides as the gloves expand (although there seems little scope for that lol). I hope it sets in nicely.
shyamg28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 18:59   #4937
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
@neil.jericho, No, I haven't been able to. Knox dealer is in Mumbai. Revit may be manageable as the dealer is here right. Fit is a concern. What's your opinion? I think I might have to pair these with a Viaterra offroad jacket for abrasion resistance when going on the highway. The newer AA abrasion resistance levels, AAA too for that matter; is much lesser than previous CE rating system is what I read.
You will be hard pressed to find anyone here recommending a motorcycling enthusiast to buy riding gear without even trying it. Especially as the prices go higher and higher!

If you cant try out the Knox stuff in Bombay / when you travel abroad, you might be better off sticking to a proven textile / mesh jacket (depending on your usage).
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 19:41   #4938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
You will be hard pressed to find anyone here recommending a motorcycling enthusiast to buy riding gear without even trying it. Especially as the prices go higher and higher!

If you cant try out the Knox stuff in Bombay / when you travel abroad, you might be better off sticking to a proven textile / mesh jacket (depending on your usage).
Yes, need to try these out first. I'm thinking about Munro tailor made jacket/pant as well, in case these don't work out at the dealer end. Of course, forget weight savings.
Old 10th May 2024, 20:38   #4939
BHPian

I have a RE thunderbird bird and my wife wanted to start rideing a bike. In the stock avatar, she is not able to touch the floor with both legs on the floor (not talking about flat footing). She is 5' 1".

So what mods can I do to lower the height. Is it even worth the trouble or should I look to buy an Avenger or something like that?

The reason I put this in this thread is to know if there are any boots that significantly add height to the rider.

Last edited by deep_bang : 10th May 2024 at 20:40.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 21:04   #4940
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
The reason I put this in this thread is to know if there are any boots that significantly add height to the rider.
I would not advise that. You need to have good tactile feedback from the pegs and levers.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 13:15   #4941

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
I recently bought a Rynox Stealth Evo riding jacket. Since this is my first piece of riding gear, I really dont know a reference. How would you compare Rynox products to other high end brands like Alpine etc.

Also, got Rynox Urban X riding gloves for Rs. 3500. There are simply too heavy to use to for commuting. Does anybody know any good quality lighter gloves? Maybe something half-finger.
I strongly recommend you stay away from Rynox products.

I wish I had seen this thread earlier. I have purchased and returned/sold Rynox Jacket, Riding Pant, Saddle Bags, and Gloves. Extremely unpredictable quality of products makes it tricky to trust Rynox. Now sadly (in 2024), Cramster gear is also being produced by Rynox.

The current gear I own -
1. Viaterra Full Gauntlet gloves.
2. Solace Furious Jacket.
3. MotoTech Riding Pants.
4. Joe Rocket City Jacket.
5. RevIt City Gloves.
6. Merryll Outdoor Boots.
7. Viaterra Balaclava.
8. Decathlon base layers.
9. Shima Winter gloves.
10. Wolverine full length waterproof outdoor boots.
11. Fly Racing Revolt Helmet
12. LS2 Explorer Plus Helmet
a.devan.ture is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 15:02   #4942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.devan.ture View Post
I strongly recommend you stay away from Rynox products.

I wish I had seen this thread earlier. I have purchased and returned/sold Rynox Jacket, Riding Pant, Saddle Bags, and Gloves. Extremely unpredictable quality of products makes it tricky to trust Rynox.
Could you elaborate on what issues you faced with Rynox products please. A detailed write up would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2024, 09:17   #4943
BHPian

Needed guidance as I am looking to buy knee gaurd and elbow gaurd for protection primarily for weekend highway rides on my Harley x440. Already bought a MT Hummer helmet and ordered RE windstorm gloves . Unable to go for pants and riding jackets as my weight fluctuates a lot , so the size would become an issue. Hence want to invest in knee and elbow gaurds for safety.

Kindly share any safe ,affordable and comfortable recommend knee and elbow gaurds which i can go for that will last and also offer good protection. Looking at spending around 5k. Your valueable inputs would be appreciated.
Old 18th May 2024, 10:23   #4944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
Needed guidance as I am looking to buy knee gaurd and elbow gaurd for protection primarily for weekend highway rides on my Harley x440. Already bought a MT Hummer helmet and ordered RE windstorm gloves . Unable to go for pants and riding jackets as my weight fluctuates a lot , so the size would become an issue. Hence want to invest in knee and elbow gaurds for safety.

Kindly share any safe ,affordable and comfortable recommend knee and elbow gaurds which i can go for that will last and also offer good protection. Looking at spending around 5k. Your valueable inputs would be appreciated.
Here are a few options you can consider:

A. Knee Guards

1. Rynox Bastion
2. Cramster Rage
3. Raida Dual Axis
4. Solace Stealth
5. Solace Shift
6. Solace Titan
7. Solace Vajra
8. RE Knox Conqueror
8. RE Knox Challenger

Elbow Guards

1. Raida Dual Axis

Make sure that whatever you pick, is a CE certified guard, which is why I've refrained from mentioning certain "pro" brands that you can find on amazon

Last edited by WhiskeyTangoFox : 18th May 2024 at 10:28. Reason: Missed a couple of links
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 06:11   #4945
BHPian

The only 2 riding gears I have as of now are a full-face Helmet and a hand glove with a knuckle Guard.

I recently did a 563kms ride, on my Pulsar 150, from Bangalore to Davanagere and back the same day. Felt it was time to invest in some basic yet decent items, knowing I might increase such trips over some time. Although I love riding in the rain, it's nice in the city. Once you are on the highway it's a pain to ride for hours with drenched clothes and shoes.

1. A new helmet that is silent, with no whistling noises
2. Waterproof jacket, pants and shoes
3. Led aux lights that have narrow beams with longer throws than my bike's High beam.
4. A proper tail bag like Viaterra Claw.

Please clarify some of my doubts, as I have never owned or worn a proper riding jacket to date.

1. Are these waterproof riding jackets wearable under the sun?
2. How do they provide waterproofing near the neck-helmet gap area
3. Do they weigh a lot like leather jackets?
4. Any approx pricing figures for basic entry-level riding gears.?
Thanks in advance for all your input.
SS80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 16:17   #4946
Senior - BHPian

Need suggestions for a carbon / light dual sport helmet. Am open to exploring to Motocross with googles. Caveat - Reasonably priced and shouldn't need to break the bank.
Use case is going to be mostly city riding as I'm getting stuffed with the full face helmet. Last 10 days, I haven't closed the visor down, its that hot in Mumbai.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 16:52   #4947
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Last 10 days, I haven't closed the visor down, its that hot in Mumbai.
Its raining every day in Poona now for the last week or two. Evenings. Pretty heavy too. Not just area specific showers, but pan city coverage. Initially we thought its unseasonal showers, but I'm beginning to think its simply climate change.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 00:29   #4948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Need suggestions for a carbon / light dual sport helmet. Am open to exploring to Motocross with googles. Caveat - Reasonably priced and shouldn't need to break the bank.
Use case is going to be mostly city riding as I'm getting stuffed with the full face helmet. Last 10 days, I haven't closed the visor down, its that hot in Mumbai.
Carbon: LS2 MX701 Carbon - ₹34,000/-

Lightweight: RE Escapade - ₹2,500 - 7,000/-

You could look at Modular helmets as well, which you can flip up when at a standstill or in slow moving traffic.
Old 23rd May 2024, 00:22   #4949
BHPian

Planning to invest in riding gear. I am getting back to riding after more than 2 decades. Back when i was riding, i only remember wearing a helmet for cross city rides but only Sunglasses within the city!

Anyway, i will be riding my X440 over weekends to nearby places. The farthest i might go is Mysore from Bangalore. Rest of the rides will be in and around Bangalore.

I am contemplating following options

Option 1:

Basic Mesh jackets from either Rynox,Royal enfiled or Viaterra

Rynox Cypher GT Jacket: Basic mesh jacket with CE 2 level armour. Will add chest armour
Viaterra Fender urban mesh jack: Similar to Rynox

Basic riding jeans from Rynox or Viaterra. RE doesn't seem to make these any more

Short gloves from Rynox or Viaterra

Budget coming to about 17K for all three across these 3 brands.

Option 2:

Invest in better riding gear from Viaterra (Spencer or Munro) or RE. Skip riding jeans and get proper riding pants.

Edit: I see from earlier discussion that Rynox doesn't have lot of recommendation. What about Viaterra?

Option 3:

Look at some international brands like Rev IT or Alpinestar. Want to know if getting these would be prudent from investment perspective vis a vi indian brands.
I might also look at textile options in the future when i get more serious with riding

I am flexible with budget, so can look at adding stuff incrementally also.

I visited Orion motors last week and tried Rynox gear. Their textile jacket was very heavy. Mesh jacket was much lighter. Same with the pants. I saw Rev It and Alpinestars but didn't try any of those.Will visit 6Kion and other stores in the next few days

Also, I bought Clan riding shoes. So sorted as far as shoes are concerned.

Last edited by naveenvenkatesh : 23rd May 2024 at 00:32.
Old 23rd May 2024, 10:06   #4950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS80 View Post

1. A new helmet that is silent, with no whistling noises
2. Waterproof jacket, pants and shoes
3. Led aux lights that have narrow beams with longer throws than my bike's High beam.
4. A proper tail bag like Viaterra Claw.

Please clarify some of my doubts, as I have never owned or worn a proper riding jacket to date.

1. Are these waterproof riding jackets wearable under the sun?
2. How do they provide waterproofing near the neck-helmet gap area
3. Do they weigh a lot like leather jackets?
4. Any approx pricing figures for basic entry-level riding gears.?
Thanks in advance for all your input.
Waterproof riding jackets are going to be extremely uncomfortable to wear in our weather conditions. Your best bet is to get a breathable mesh jacket and carry a rain jacket for times when it might rain. This is what I do. I have a winter jacket which is water resistant but i only wear them when I am riding in places where the max temps don't cross 28 degrees.

Also even the most expensive helmets will have some wind noise creeping in at speeds above 70-80kmph. I use a good pair of ear buds to protect my hearing and it works well.

Entry level riding jackets/pants start from 7k and multiple Indian brands are available like Rynox, Solace, Viaterra
hsub is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks