Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2024, 12:16   #4906
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: The Riding Gear thread

Hope you are healing well, any crash is nasty even if its a small one. It damages the bike and our confidence. Along with atgatt it is very essential to look out ahead and be mindful of any threats on the road, be it a chapri or a creta or goddess cow. If we identify a threat early on we could take measures to avoid any scenario where our gear comes to action. In your case had you identified the oil spill and steered clear of it the crash would not have happened, i also understand there are situations where we cannot be mindful of everything and thus atgatt helps.
maverick029 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 12:50   #4907
BHPian

Wishing you a quick recovery and glad that nothing major happened. I think the center of gravity also plays a role in your crash; you being on a taller bike maybe with off-road tires resulted in your tires slipping, as I have seen the same happening with a friend of mine who was on his Adventure and slipped because of oil on the road, while us on our street bikes with low seat height were able to go over the same patch without slipping.

As for how I deal with riding gear while commuting to the office, I have a mesh jacket and I keep only shoulder and elbow protectors. I remove back and chest protectors as most of the road is just jammed anyway, and I would mainly need abrasion protection if anything goes wrong. I use full gauntlet gloves for my hands, which go inside my helmet that I keep on my desk. For knees, I use Solace CE2 knee guards rather than pants, as I can just put them in my bag after reaching the office. For boots, I use RE WP Cabo boots as they are very comfortable to wear for a long period of time. I have replaced the red laces with black ones so they don't look too flashy in the office. This setup serves the purpose of being as protected as possible without the need for carrying extra clothes to change once I reach the office.

Last edited by scarn : 29th March 2024 at 12:51.
scarn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 14:20   #4908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarn View Post
As for how I deal with riding gear while commuting to the office, I have a mesh jacket and I keep only shoulder and elbow protectors. I remove back and chest protectors as most of the road is just jammed anyway, and I would mainly need abrasion protection if anything goes wrong.
I can try this. Would definitely make a significant difference to the weight and air flow. Though the darth vader looks would still be the issue (my mesh jacket is 1) black and a LOT of red, and 2) has titanium-look shoulder sliders ). Migh as well put on full mediaeval chain mail.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 18:39   #4909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarn View Post
As for how I deal with riding gear while commuting to the office, I have a mesh jacket and I keep only shoulder and elbow protectors. I remove back and chest protectors as most of the road is just jammed anyway, and I would mainly need abrasion protection if anything goes wrong. I use full gauntlet gloves for my hands, which go inside my helmet that I keep on my desk. For knees, I use Solace CE2 knee guards rather than pants, as I can just put them in my bag after reaching the office. For boots, I use RE WP Cabo boots as they are very comfortable to wear for a long period of time. I have replaced the red laces with black ones so they don't look too flashy in the office. This setup serves the purpose of being as protected as possible without the need for carrying extra clothes to change once I reach the office.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I can try this. Would definitely make a significant difference to the weight and air flow. Though the darth vader looks would still be the issue (my mesh jacket is 1) black and a LOT of red, and 2) has titanium-look shoulder sliders ). Migh as well put on full mediaeval chain mail.
Cheers, Doc
I am using a similar setup.
Helmet - LS2 Pioneer - comfortable for city rides
Short cuff gloves - Rynox gravel
Jacket - Viaterra miller jacket minus the back and chest protector. This one is not all black and has a good amount of non black color on it which helps with the heat as well. might work for you doc

I am looking at Revit Eclipse as an alternative, might purchase it in the coming months. It has some good non black colors for our dusty city environment.

Tripmachine riding boots - This one goes well with my formals as well as jeans quite well. Does not call for attention at all and comfortable for 8 hour workday.

As I reach office Gloves goes in the bag, jacket set on the back of my office chair or desk partition. Helmet on my desk, yes I carry my helmet. I just don't have the heart to leave it in the parking. Never tried the Knee guards - it might not stay in place with formal pants. But correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by Axe77 : 31st March 2024 at 13:05. Reason: Spacing, caps, minor typo.
aston_martyr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 19:20   #4910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston_martyr View Post
This one is not all black and has a good amount of non black color on it which helps with the heat as well. might work for you doc .
I think you misunderstood. An all black jacket would be perfect. Cause it would look "normal" and nor scream race biker. My all black jacket is my textile RST with top clavicle and a large rear vent. My mesh jacket is red and black. With shiny titanium shoulder sliders. Of the two, its the black one I would lean towards (minus the back protection).

This us what I actually wear

The Riding Gear thread-img_20231030_185118.jpg

I dont have the option of jeans or anything other than formal shoes either.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 20:55   #4911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I think you misunderstood. An all black jacket would be perfect. Cause it would look "normal" and nor scream race biker. My all black jacket is my textile RST with top clavicle and a large rear vent. My mesh jacket is red and black. With shiny titanium shoulder sliders. Of the two, its the black one I would lean towards (minus the back protection).
Ah ofcourse I misunderstood.
But the miller with the lighter color helps for me atleast as I travel during mid day.

Quote:
I dont have the option of jeans or anything other than formal shoes either.
Cheers, Doc
Tripmachine boots do go well with my formals, you could check them out.
But fortunately we have cloakroom in our basement, so I would already be in my formal attire [or casuals once a week] before i step into the lift. Not everybody has this option I suppose.

Do the RSTs work well during monsoons? Just curious. I prefer to be on 4 wheels during monsoons.

Last edited by Axe77 : 31st March 2024 at 13:07. Reason: Please use caps where appropriate. Recurring issue. Thank you.
aston_martyr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 12:53   #4912
BHPian

Anyone here with any experience with / impressions of the Viaterra Fender Jacket? I'm looking to pick up a second jacket for city use only as the Explorer V3 I use on the highway is in all probability going to cook me inside out in this heat.

My friend has the Rynox Cypher GT and I do quite like it, but I wanted to check out the fender too.
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 18:57   #4913

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Hello all, I am looking for a pair of riding pants. A significant portion of my rides will be in rainy hills. Now, I ride with a non-waterproof pants and carry a decathlon rain pants. But the gymnast in me (or the lack thereof) just dreads the idea of putting on the rain pants by the roadside.

My main requirement (apart from safety) is, they should look understated, as close to regular trousers as possible (but not jeans), for e.g the Kelshi riding trousers from RE. But that one lacks waterproofing. I see the Tso Kar being recommended here for its waterproof qualities. Except the contrasting white RE branding at the bottom, I like the latter.

Is there anything else comparable in this price range, i.e. around 10K? TIA!
I use the Mototech Aero TourPro Riding Pants. These have side pockets and do not seem very flashy. I pair these with Men's Hiking Waterproof Over-trousers MH500 Black from Decathlon, and a Merrell WP hiking boot. I can pullover the decathlon pants in 2-3 minutes over the riding pants.

Riding pant link
a.devan.ture is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 12:39   #4914
Senior - BHPian

The Riding Gear thread-img_20240406_112023.jpg

Boots given some tlc, bulling them to a military parade mirror shine (or close as possible to, for 15+ year old riding boots).

The Riding Gear thread-img_20240405_133229.jpg

Took the plunge and wore them to work. Asked my kiddo if anything was off, and the fact that they were army boots never registered, so the camouflage is not bad.

A definite uptick to my commute gear.

Now need a similar pair in black!

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 21:13   #4915
Senior - BHPian

My one month old, sporadically worn helmet had started smelling. Its a full face LS2 FF320 Stream Evo Xdron. My previous SOL helmet which got used more frequently had never smelled like this.

While I took padding out and washed it and have also got Vista Helmet Kleen, I'm thinking if its the Mumbai heat and Full Face helmet which is a bad combo.

Should I get an Enduro helmet with visor for riding in the city? I wear glasses and need visor.

Thoughts please!
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 09:53   #4916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
My one month old, sporadically worn helmet had started smelling.
….

Thoughts please!
Using a balaclava keeps this issue at bay in Kerala climate. I'm assuming you use a balaclava as well?

Last edited by Axe77 : 16th April 2024 at 11:47.
Senotrius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 10:05   #4917

Quote:
My one month old, sporadically worn helmet had started smelling. Its a full face LS2 FF320 Stream Evo Xdron. My previous SOL helmet which got used more frequently had never smelled like this.

While I took padding out and washed it and have also got Vista Helmet Kleen, I'm thinking if its the Mumbai heat and Full Face helmet which is a bad combo.

Should I get an Enduro helmet with visor for riding in the city? I wear glasses and need visor.

Thoughts please!
I use an LS2 FF800 for touring/ highway runs and a Vega Bolt for city use on scooter. I use a balaclava while wearing both these helmets; Yes, even for city rides and wash them after every ride. Its a pain to wear and take it off, but have been using them for almost 7 months in conjunction with both these helmets and neither have developed any smell till date. I wear full gear on touring/ highway runs and a normal jacket/ windcheater during city commutes, and I sweat a lot, even in Bangalore climate. Despite all that, they did hold up pretty well.

One other thing that I do diligently is to keep the helmet in the open, upside down so that it breaths and let the moisture gets evaporated naturally, before I tuck them way for safe keeping, I never keep them under direct sunlight. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Breeze.

Last edited by Axe77 : 16th April 2024 at 11:46.
BreezeRiDrives is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 10:50   #4918
Senior - BHPian

Well haven't been wearing balaclava for in city 20 min errand runs. I don't even want to. If I have to start wearing balaclava even for incity 20 min rides, I will move back to car
Old 16th April 2024, 11:50   #4919
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well haven't been wearing balaclava for in city 20 min errand runs. I don't even want to. If I have to start wearing balaclava even for incity 20 min rides, I will move back to car
Agree with the advice in the couple of posts above - balaclava is your best bet.

I actually wear a balaclava even for the shortest rides. If not that, then a head tube. I just prefer the immediate layer next to my head / hair to be a garment that’s frequently washed instead of the helmet padding. Never found any issue with wearing one TBH - if anything, I prefer it. Feels cleaner.

Keeps the helmet a tad cleaner as well although even for that I’d suggest some helmet foam cleaner - please air the helmet after every use and regularly use that foam cleaner to keep clean.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 12:35   #4920
Senior - BHPian

You don't need to wear a full balaclava or a buff or even a bandana. A simple helmet cotton skull cap is more than sufficient. The ones sold by Vega is what I have. In grey and black. Prevents the sweat and smells and also helmet hair when you reach your destination.

And yes, crack open the visor after use when keeping it away at home or your workplace, so that the insides have a chance to breathe and dry out.

The Riding Gear thread-img_20240416_123902.jpg

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 16th April 2024 at 12:40.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks