Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2024, 07:35   #4876
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Hello All,

I've been using Rynox Storm Evo full gauntlet riding gloves for less than a year. Now due to the increase in ambient temperatures and increased perspiration, they've started to stink from the inside, so much so that with a 30 min ride with those gloves, the stink gets transferred to my hands.

1) So far I'd been storing them upside down in open spaces so as to expedite the sweat evaporation rate, but that has only helped a little.
2) I've tried using Motul helmet interior cleaner. But that didn't help.
3) Fortnine in one of his video demonstrated that an old pair of gloves are less protective than a new one. Hence, I'm reluctant to wash them even with baby soap/shampoo, as I think it might increase wear.
4) Would 99.9% isopropyl alcohol be safe to use on them? I'm assuming it might dry out the leather similar to a hand sanitizer drying out human skin. But then a leather conditioner can be used immediately after.

What are your thoughts? How do you clean your gloves? Is there any standard procedure of cleaning the interior of full leather gloves?

Thanks!

Last edited by t3rm1n80r : 10th March 2024 at 07:39. Reason: Missed a point. Corrected numbering. Corrected punctuations.
t3rm1n80r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 15:06   #4877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3rm1n80r View Post
Hello All,

I've been using Rynox Storm Evo full gauntlet riding gloves for less than a year. Now due to the increase in ambient temperatures and increased perspiration, they've started to stink from the inside, so much so that with a 30 min ride with those gloves, the stink gets transferred to my hands.

Thanks!
A tried and tested method to remove the odour inside the gloves is:
1. Put in one 'tea-bag' in each glove.
2. Put both gloves in a laundry bag (or any similar type bags which are airy)
3. Put 2-3 camphor balls (the ones used in devotional services) inside the laundry bag (NOT inside the gloves)
4. Place them in the balcony or any window ledge overnight.

The teabags help remove out the moisture and odour from inside the gloves (if the odour is heavy to start with then use 2 teabags each) and the camphor helps to remove out the musty-ness.

I use this method during our monsoon riding months. For wet gloves and boots, I usually stuff newspaper in them - helps to dry out faster.
TheVaas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 17:02   #4878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3rm1n80r View Post
Hello All,

1) So far I'd been storing them upside down in open spaces so as to expedite the sweat evaporation rate, but that has only helped a little.
2) I've tried using Motul helmet interior cleaner. But that didn't help.
3) Fortnine in one of his video demonstrated that an old pair of gloves are less protective than a new one. Hence, I'm reluctant to wash them even with baby soap/shampoo, as I think it might increase wear.
4) Would 99.9% isopropyl alcohol be safe to use on them? I'm assuming it might dry out the leather similar to a hand sanitizer drying out human skin. But then a leather conditioner can be used immediately after.

What are your thoughts? How do you clean your gloves? Is there any standard procedure of cleaning the interior of full leather gloves?

Thanks!
Do not use ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL to clean your gloves fully. You can use a few drops over a cotton swab/ball and wipe out hard stains over the glove, but never fully. Helmet cleaners are a hogwash, personally. I've tried the best brands out there and it doesn't simply clean/refresh the liners as a simple hand wash "n" squeeze would.

I've always used zero detergent for washing any riding gear head to toe, be it leather or nylon i.e. textile. My modus operandi is simple.

Step 1
Warm the water up nice and hot (not piping hot) but comparatively hot enough. Let your glove, jacket, helmet liner or boots or your gear of choice soak in for 15 to 20 mins. I individually squeeze them slowly and progressively without wringing them much. By dipping them in water and squeezing them multiple times, the accumulated muck, grime loosens up and eventually you will see the color of the water turn brown to deep black which is a good indicator of the goods being cleaned. I follow the above process 2 to 3 times till the water color is to satisfaction.

Post this I simply tumble dry (not hot air dry) on my washing machine for 30 seconds and by the time it's out it's 95% dry. I make sure it's dried 100% by letting it hang loose clipped inside home over a clothesline and not outside directly under sun. Leather if it's made to sit directly under sun, will start to fade, harden and crack.

Let me share a secret of mine, it's worked for me and served me well all these years. I use good quality coconut oil dabbed over a small cotton ball and patching it over leather and mildly rubbing it till it comes to a shine and let it sit for a day. This way it's nourished, shiny and ready to go. The key is to use extremely less coconut oil as possible over a cotton ball and the ball just dabbed over in points and then spread and wiped with a clean rag. Using too much coconut oil for the sake of it, will dampen and soil the leather which will take eons to dry.

Coming to your quandary, firstly. Try to get a pack of silicate dessicant and place it inside the gloves whenever you take your gloves off, esp overnight. These absorb moisture to an extent and helps prevent foul smell. Secondly, you can definitely use mild soapy solutions such as baby shampoo which are less harsh and use the above method I've explained to extricate grime out, it works really well.

Do not use detergents, clinic plus and the likes, they are harsh though they smell good they eventually dry the goods pretty quickly. Baby shampoo and additive less shampoos are your best bet. If you're still apprehensive, my method, hot enough water and soaking it well and squeezing it out works extremely well.

Secondly, the EVO gloves aren't perforated enough to allow air flow in and these simply aren't an everyday glove. This is where summer gloves or partial leather cum textile gloves come into play. These are well ventilated, offer great ventilation, plus they are 90% more than enough for city, daily usage/riding. My recommendation would be that you get yourself a pair of short cuff, ventilated textile cum leather glove which would mean your hands breathe better and in turn less perspiration and better usability.

Good luck. All these are my personal anecdotes maturated with real world experience, so do take it with a pinch of salt.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 14:46   #4879

Hello Fellow Riders!!

I have been looking for Decently good shoes, which are Budget-friendly, Came across this brand called Gadsyll Shooes, but I am not able to find many reviews or users who can add a few details and experience using them.

anyone here who knows or experienced or used them please share some views on it

Thanks
Ride Safe, Ride Happy!
Old 14th March 2024, 22:00   #4880
Senior - BHPian

Folks, wanted suggestion on light breathable jacket for riding within the city to primarily protect from sun and some dust. Not looking at armoured variety. Something that can be folded and fitted into a backpack.

Any pointers will be appreciated!
Old 14th March 2024, 23:53   #4881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Folks, wanted suggestion on light breathable jacket for riding within the city to primarily protect from sun and some dust. Not looking at armoured variety. Something that can be folded and fitted into a backpack.

I've been using the DOMYOS from Decathlon for almost all my city commutes. Its made of breathable fabric and has mesh pattern running below the sleeves and back. The airflow is good and comes in khakee and black variants. And yes - can be folded into a backpack
Old 15th March 2024, 00:51   #4882
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

Why protect only from sun and dust when you can get proper crash protection too. Do check out some of the new Knox jackets at LazyAssBikers. I picked up the shirt myself for city use (the first link posted below). Has padded Level 1 protection and can sort of roll up and become compact. Will even fit easily in a top box when not in use. Proper protective jacket with armour but very thin, soft, breathable and foldable.

https://www.lazyassbikers.com/collec...o-shirt-jacket

https://www.lazyassbikers.com/collec...47308340855069
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 17:47   #4883
BHPian

Do you know of any other product similar to these? Light weight with good armour AND AA or Class AAA. This is the first riding gear I'm aware of, available in India, with the newer 'A' class system. Plus compared to most other foreign brands these don't cost a bomb (comparatively) WITH the armour included. They lack chest protection as standard.

How much does it weigh?

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th March 2024 at 18:02.
Old 15th March 2024, 18:06   #4884
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
Do you know of any other product similar to these? Light weight with good armour AND AA or Class AAA. This is the first riding gear I'm aware of, available in India, with the newer 'A' class system. Plus compared to most other foreign brands these don't cost a bomb (comparatively) WITH the armour included. They lack chest protection as standard.

How much does it weigh?
I don’t know how much it weighs but it’s really light. Folds easily too.

On cost, TBH it’s not that cheap either but it’s decently priced. A Revit Eclipse for instance if I recall correctly should be similar price as this but of course that’s a mesh jacket and overall more substantive.

This one too, the entry version is A protection while the other two have one notch higher protection. Chest protection would be rare for this as the idea is that these be minimalist. Urban Rider has some good reviews for their range. I’m including one video link but you can search around their site for reviews of their other jackets too. Personally I really liked the Knox. Now I’ve almost always got this on even in my city rides whereas earlier very often I’d just put on a normal windcheater type layers on top.

This page should be helpful in browsing the range. Seems like their India price is pretty good compared to international pricing. No massive markup I think (based on a quick glance).

https://www.planet-knox.com/category...moured-shirts/

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th March 2024 at 03:23. Reason: Minor typo.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 21:36   #4885
BHPian

Hey everyone, I'm facing a dilemma in choosing between the DAINESE NEXUS 2 BLACK and the ALPINESTARS SMX-6 V2 riding boots. Before buying, I'd like to hear from users who have tried the DAINESE NEXUS 2 BLACK or the ALPINESTARS SMX-6 V2 boots. Any insights on fit, comfort, protection, and performance would be invaluable. I'd appreciate some expert advice and tips. What's a reasonable price range for these boots, and what specific features should I be looking for? Additionally, I'm open to other recommendations if you have any!
Old 20th March 2024, 22:08   #4886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinpr View Post
Hey everyone, I'm facing a dilemma in choosing between the DAINESE NEXUS 2 BLACK and the ALPINESTARS SMX-6 V2 riding boots.
I am using the Alpinestars SMX-6 V2 Drystar boots since around 2 years. Extremely comfortable and confidence inspiring. It fits/grips my foot very well and I find it quite comfortable to even walk around a little bit without feeling like I am wearing riding boots. It took sometime to break in but once past that it is sublime. It was around ~32-33 thousand if I remember correctly.

Suffice it is to say, once these wear out I will surely be buying the same or an updated version. No idea about the Dainese.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 22:27   #4887
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey everyone, I'm facing a dilemma in choosing between the DAINESE NEXUS 2 BLACK and the ALPINESTARS SMX-6 V2 riding boots. Before buying, I'd like to hear from users who have tried the DAINESE NEXUS 2 BLACK or the ALPINESTARS SMX-6 V2 boots. Any insights on fit, comfort, protection, and performance would be invaluable.
Between these two I would pick the Alpinestars SMX-6 V2 and skip the Dainese Nexus. If you are okay to extend the budget a bit more, do try and get the Dainese Torque 3 out boots which are fantastic. The Torque series boots are a step up from the Nexus series in the material quality and fit and finish. They have a breathable version as well as a waterproof version of both the Nexus and the Torque boots.

I have the Torque D1 out series used for sport touring, which is the predecessor of the Torque 3 out, and I can vouch for the protection, design, comfort, longevity and grip over varied surface types. I am looking to upgrade to Torque 3 out but no dealer has my size in India right now, I’ll have to import it I guess . I currently also use the A* SMX-6 V2 and these are great too. The fit is a bit tighter on the A* if you are someone who tucks your riding pants into your boots, while the Torque / Nexus series allow more room to tuck your riding pants into the boot, otherwise no issues at all. You can’t go wrong with either of these (Torque vs SMX-6v2) in terms of safety / quality / specifications anyway. Pick whatever appeals to you, after you are convinced of the fit and size of course

Last edited by KarthikK : 21st March 2024 at 07:40.
KarthikK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 02:22   #4888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I am using the Alpinestars SMX-6 V2 Drystar boots since around 2 years. Extremely comfortable and confidence inspiring. It fits/grips my foot very well and I find it quite comfortable to even walk around a little bit without feeling like I am wearing riding boots. It took sometime to break in but once past that it is sublime. It was around ~32-33 thousand if I remember correctly.

Suffice it is to say, once these wear out I will surely be buying the same or an updated version. No idea about the Dainese.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Between these two I would pick the Alpinestars SMX-6 V2 and skip the Dainese Nexus. If you are okay to extend the budget a bit more, do try and get the Dainese Torque 3 out boots which are fantastic. The Torque series boots are a step up from the Nexus series in the material quality and fit and finish. They have a breathable version as well as a waterproof version of both the Nexus and the Torque boots.

I have the Torque D1 out series used for sport touring, which is the predecessor of the Torque 3 out, and I can vouch for the protection, design, comfort, longevity and grip over varied surface types. I am looking to upgrade to Torque 3 out but no dealer has my size in India right now, I’ll have to import it I guess . I currently also use the A* SMX-6 V2 and these are great too. The fit is a bit tighter on the A* if you are someone who tucks your riding pants into your boots, while the Torque / Nexus series allow more room to tuck your riding pants into the boot, otherwise no issues at all. You can’t go wrong with either of these (Torque vs SMX-6v2) in terms of safety / quality / specifications anyway. Pick whatever appeals to you, after you are convinced of the fit and size of course
Thank you both for your valuable input; it's greatly appreciated. Based on your advice, I've decided to opt for the Alpinestars SMX-6 V2. Now, I just need to locate a local retailer in Mumbai where I can find the right size. Are you aware of any retail stores in Mumbai that carry Alpinestars products? Otherwise, I might have to consider importing, which could pose additional challenges.

I spoke with one of the authorized dealers, Super Moto Outfits in Goregaon West, Mumbai. Unfortunately, they informed me that they currently don't carry any Alpinestar products. Their current stock consists only of Dainese gear, which is beyond my budget as it's considerably more expensive. @KarthikK they have the Dainese Torque 3 in stock, which could potentially offer the right size for you. I'm unware of any other dealers apart from these guys.

Last edited by KarthikK : 21st March 2024 at 07:41. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 21st March 2024, 14:44   #4889
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you both for your valuable input; it's greatly appreciated. Based on your advice, I've decided to opt for the Alpinestars SMX-6 V2. Now, I just need to locate a local retailer in Mumbai where I can find the right size. Are you aware of any retail stores in Mumbai that carry Alpinestars products?
Your best bet for local retailer (since Super Moto is out of stock) is to check with Triumph dealerships if they have Alpinestars SMX-6 in stock - since they had partnered with them last year and there were quite a few boots in the Goregaon centre. If not Mumbai triumph, you can check with other city dealerships like Pune or Kochi so see if they have the stock in your size.
Old 21st March 2024, 15:54   #4890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaas View Post
Your best bet for local retailer (since Super Moto is out of stock) is to check with Triumph dealerships if they have Alpinestars SMX-6 in stock - since they had partnered with them last year and there were quite a few boots in the Goregaon centre. If not Mumbai triumph, you can check with other city dealerships like Pune or Kochi so see if they have the stock in your size.
Last November, I reached out to Triumph, but it was quite a hassle to communicate with them and find the right representative, as most seemed clueless, possibly new recruits. After several conversations, I managed to get in touch with someone in the accessories department who sent me their apparel and gear catalogue. The prices were appealing, around 22-24k, but unfortunately, they didn't have my size, UK10. I'll have to contact Triumph Pune and hope to find one there, or else importing might be my last option. Getting the right fit is challenging; hopefully, UK10 Euro 44 should work for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks