Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2024, 18:08   #4861

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Hi fellow riders,

I have recently taken the plunge into touring and have gone for two rides (200, 300 km) so far. Reading through the forum, I realize the importance of a good pair of riding boots.

Here's my riding setup so far.

Helmet - SMK Stellar - It says it is ECE 22.05 on the back of the helmet. A friend recommended this helmet, it fit comfortably without causing any strain on the neck so I went with it.

Gloves - Rynox Tornado Pro 3 - I was conflicted between this and the Storm Evo. The Rynox rep suggested I start with this considering I am a beginner and for the short rides I have planned this year, it should be sufficient.

Knee Guard - Rynox Bastion Bionic Kneeguard - It was CE certified and I was not quite ready to buy a riding pant as I want to shed a few kilos before buying one ��

Jacket - Motowear Level 2 Jacket - Got this as a gift a year back when I got my bike. I feel it is okay for now. Will be upgrading in a few months (along with a riding pant) as it wasn't my first choice, but the shop didn't have any Rynox, or Viaterra Jackets when I tried to exchange it.

Here is where I am stuck with. I want to get a riding boot under 7k. After reading through this thread, I have sidelined Orazo, and Raida for now.

A friend of mine, who also started riding recently, recommended Gadsyll G-Star 9 W-R. The website says "It is made per CE Standard". Does anyone have any experience with Gadsyll?

I shortlisted on two other boots in my range -

The Solace Street Ace Boots - https://shorturl.at/nBLO1 (Rs. 4,799)

The Viaterra Bronson Retro Boots - https://shorturl.at/acnBZ (Rs. 6,999)

I am conflicted between the two and would appreciate your inputs. The Solace website says the Street Ace is CE certified to EN ISO 20345 standard which I believe is related to Safety Boots? (pardon my ignorance if I am wrong)

The Viaterra Bronson is equipped with SasTec armour and padding in the right spots.

I like the styling of the Bronson over the Solace. My usage would be mostly for rides around 300kms max. Inside the city, I am trying to start using gloves for commuting. If I get the Bronson, I might try to use it as well. I don't want to go beyond 7k right now because of budget constraints and I want to save up and buy a good pair of boots next year.

I currently ride a Hunter 350. Love the bike and the exhaust tone. It was my first big purchase using money I had saved up It may need some upgrades if I want to continue touring with it. Any upgrade suggestions?

Your thoughts or suggestions would be deeply appreciated!

Thank you,
Deepak

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd February 2024 at 18:11.
MadrasMechanic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 19:31   #4862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadrasMechanic View Post
...I like the styling of the Bronson over the Solace. My usage would be mostly for rides around 300kms max. Inside the city, I am trying to start using gloves for commuting. If I get the Bronson, I might try to use it as well. I don't want to go beyond 7k right now because of budget constraints and I want to save up and buy a good pair of boots next year....
Your thoughts or suggestions would be deeply appreciated!

Thank you,
Deepak
Deepak, this is fantastic how you've prioritized safety so early on! I wish I was (or could be) as wise

I see a budget of 7k might at best allow you to get a pair of riding shoes, not boots. If you can, get boots. Something like the Tarmac or Solace might set you back by about 12-13k, but might still be better than a pair of shoes.

That aside, I recently acquired the RE TCX Cabo WP shoes. They're CE certified and currently selling at a decent discount.
I do not have any opinion on them yet. But it might be worth your time to check them out given that it's TCX and that it's waterproof.

Also recently got to know that a good way to verify waterproofing on shoes is to look at the tongue of the shoes and see if it's webbed to the sides, which this is.

I do not like that this does not come with a rubber patch for gear shifting stitched or glued to the boots, instead of the silly add-on patch
At least initially, I'm going to use the shoes without that patch to see how much it damages and if it's significant, only then consider using the patch.

Name:  wp cabo.png
Views: 413
Size:  223.1 KB

The Riding Gear thread-20240222_121444.jpg The Riding Gear thread-20240222_191206.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20240222_191211.jpgThe Riding Gear thread-20240222_191220.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20240222_191239.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20240222_191255.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20240222_191303.jpg The Riding Gear thread-20240222_191314.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20240222_191331.jpg The Riding Gear thread-20240222_191402.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20240222_191351.jpg

Last edited by shyamg28 : 22nd February 2024 at 19:40.
shyamg28 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 20:01   #4863
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
I do not like that this does not come with a rubber patch for gear shifting stitched or glued to the boots, instead of the silly add-on patch
At least initially, I'm going to use the shoes without that patch to see how much it damages and if it's significant, only then consider using the patch.
Damn, that's one ugly patch. My street 3 also came without a shift patch and its held up fine so far. In fact that part of the shoe looks better while the rest of the suede finish has accumulated a fine layer of dust which I cannot seem to clean thoroughly without disturbing the grain. Your shoe isn't suede so maintenance should be easier.

If you are on the fence about the TCX, I must say go for it because it also smells really nice, even after all these months. T-Dry also works like a charm which I verified once when I forgot to buckle my rain pants correctly. I would not recommend relying on it though because you never know when some manhole is leaking sewage and nearby vehicles will splash it on these nice shoes.

Last edited by hikozaru : 22nd February 2024 at 20:03.
hikozaru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 20:42   #4864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadrasMechanic View Post
Hi fellow riders,

I have recently taken the plunge into touring and have gone for two rides (200, 300 km) so far. Reading through the forum, I realize the importance of a good pair of riding boots.
If you could stretch your budget a little bit, these would be a much better investment safety-wise. You'd thank yourself for spending that 3-4k in an unfortunate situation

https://6kiom.com/product/falco-libe...-riding-boots/
https://bachoomotors.com/shop/tarmac...-black-boot-2/
https://store.royalenfield.com/en/e-...ck-eu-45-black
https://wroom.co.in/products/forma-a...y-boots-india/

I'd also always suggest that you try out the boots physically before buying them as the sizing can vary between manufacturers. Cheers!
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 23:37   #4865

Hello Riders,

I wanted to get some views on the long term care and maintenance of riding gear.

Recently took out my riding jacket for cleaning as I was planning to start riding again after a break of about 5 years. While taking out the protective pad inserts it started to crumble and disintegrate inside the jacket pockets. I have this jacket since 2016 - so almost 9 years. Not very sure about the lifespan of the pads with regular usage but definitely was not expecting the pads to break down in storage in a few years. This was stored in the wardrobe with the wide shoulder hanger and dust sleeve and did some annual cleaning while I was not riding. Not much of a moisture / dryness issue as it was stored with other jackets.

The Riding Gear thread-img_20240226_171911311.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-img_20240226_133803630.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-img_20240226_133836195_hdr.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-img_20240226_133816469.jpg

What is the best way to store gear when not in use? Would like to hear how people store the gear or carry out regular maintenance.

So looking to replace the pads, started to search some options (thanks to the older posts from this thread for some tried out sources and first hand feedback) -

Knox: Closest size and good price. Also seems to be a bit more weather proof with a wider temperature use.
- Microlock 362/363 - CE Level 2
https://www.lazyassbikers.com/collec...upgrade-362-l2
https://www.lazyassbikers.com/collec...otector-363-l2

- Microlock Compact 433/434 - CE Level 2
(could not find shoulder pad anywhere online - might check out some stores)
https://www.lazyassbikers.com/collec...otector-434-l2

Alpinestars Nucleon Flex Pro: Slightly smaller than the existing pads. Not sure of the mesh structure although it is a very established brand for gears. https://www.customelements.in/produc...ctor-set-of-4/

Hoping to get the replacement pads by March and hopefully back to some riding
Old 27th February 2024, 06:42   #4866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVS_23 View Post
Are you sure that customs duties are not applicable? I need a pair of boots, so I'm thinking of importing but I'm a bit sceptical due to import duties and taxes that might get levied. Need your advice on the matter.
The customs charges you flat 35-40% (minimum) as duty when you import any riding gear through any website. Have bought a few gears from some international websites over the past years. So consider the price, check out discounts and order accordingly.

Last edited by Axe77 : 27th February 2024 at 06:57.
Thamps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 15:00   #4867

Hello Folks,

This review is NOT about the gear, rather it is about the purchasing experience and some lessons thereof.

As someone getting back to biking after over a decade, I decided to pick up some biking gear. The initial research started online and through various Whatsapp groups and then I realised that suddenly we Indians were spoilt for choice as far as biking gear was considered. I was not new to the concept of biking gear, but back in 2009, choices were limited and I had then, broken new ground, by buying a Cramster jacket.

The situation as I realised soon, was different today. Add to the complication was that I was stationed in a far flung place in a remote area of the Ladakh. I was told that Delhi was the place to pick up the gear and the three places friends recommended were Chopra Auto in Karol Bagh, Riderz Planet (both Karol Bagh and Ghitorni) and the Rynox Company Store at Arjangarh very close to the Riderz Planet Ghitorni.

I planned a transit halt (normally I prefer not to step out of the airport) through Delhi for a day and a half to scout the market, try out the gear and make my purchases. It was a tough call since I like to do a lot of research and usually do not like to jump into buy stuff, especially expensive stuff like biking gear, without critical consideration.

My flight from Srinagar landed at Delhi at 1440h and after peeling off my warm wear (this was early December 23 and I was coming in from sub zero in double digits), I took an Uber to my relatives place to drop the luggage. A quick bite later I took off for Chopra Auto in Karol Bagh.

Since time was less, I had already called them and confirmed it would be open (they are closed on Mondays). Karol Bagh is all about congested roads, everything automobiles and a completely commercial hub for the auto industry. It took me a while to reach Chopra Auto despite the fact they had sent me the location pin. The cab could not take me to the shop due to the congestion and I hopped off and went on foot. Ten minutes of navigation, I realised that the shop had no presence on the ground floor and went to the 1st floor and into what seemed like a godown. It will filled to the brim with biking gear, customers and sales persons with everyone breathing down everyone’s neck and ZERO space to stand. BIG lesson…for Chopra Auto, either you know what you are looking for, or be prepared for total confusion. They have tremendous stock, but no organisation.

I managed to buy a pair of gloves (Solace Versadry), after trying out several pairs. A word about the gloves...I tried out the RE Heated Gloves, but was not too convinced especially given the cost ₹ 9k! But after riding in Ladakh in -16 degrees, i realised i should have bought it. The Solace sadly gave me no solace and after every 30 mins I usually have to stop and reattach my fingers which feel like they have fallen off.

However, the overall experience at Chopra was less than desirable. I attempted to buy biking shoes, helmets etc, but it was a frustrating experience. The staff was harassed, frustrated, the owner lady (Anjali?) was also very nice and tried to show me some stuff, but conceded that the store was very disorganised. Disappointed, I trooped out and found my way to the nearby Riderz Planet in Karol Bagh itself (Hardly 5 mins walk). To my surprise, right next to it was another outlet of Chopra Auto. Now both these outlets were bang on the main road with proper small shops on the ground floor itself.

Pleasantly both owners/managers/staff of the two stores tried to pull me into their stores. This time I chose Riderz Planet since I had also been to a Chopra Auto outlet. Within 20 mins, I had been shown the various options in helmets, had been able to do my sizing and finally made a choice and purchase. The salesperson was Sumit, a young raw kid, but what he lacked in sophistication, he made up in sincerity. He had the knowledge and was able to answer most of my questions. I bought a MT Thunder 3 Black and added a Pinlock anti fog screen and a warm balaclava.

The next day I went to the Rynox Company Outlet in Arjangarh and then realised that Rynox does not make helmets or boots! I had recently seen a of Shameem Deshmukh, a founder of Rynox and was actually impressed enough to want to see the products. What helped was that there was another Riderz Planet at Ghitorni, just one metro station away. The Rynox stores was impressive and had ample space and place and the ambience to try out the stuff, the staff was patient and they had stocks on display. Rynox has adequate options and not too many choices which is a good thing. The staff seemed well trained. Having done the broad selection, since I had time and Riderz Planet Ghitorni was just one metro stop away, I decided to visit it to finalise my decisions. The RP Ghitorni store was a happening place but they had limited choices in boots…but the staff was nice and polite. Helped answer a lot of queries.The owner/manager explained that due to some taxing issue, new boots were not being imported and all they had was of the old stock. New stocks were all RE branded only. I checked out the jackets and pants and realised that the Rynox options were more suited and reasonable as well compared to the ones at RP Ghitorni. I bought a Forma Voyage Dry mid rise boots.

Back to the Rynox store to make the purchases. It was a good experience. They meticulously checked the items, replaced some Knox protectors and then handed over the stuff to me. I felt good after the purchase. I bought a Stealth Evo V3 grey jacket which came with a H2GO PRO 3 Rain Jacket Black and a Kidney Belt. I also bought a Stealth Evo Riding Pants-Black with a inner warm liner.

Cut to Jan 24, I reached Kolkata, my home town and took time out to get some luggage. I was essentially looking at the Viaterra Claw or some saddle bags which do not need saddle stays. I called a few shops and finally a new shop called Gear Up said they have tank bags. I requested them to send me a few snaps so that I could have the bag colleged using Swiggy Genie...but guess what...they said its not in their policy to send snaps!!! Typical Kolkata business culture. I Ubered across to them and had a look. The entire shop was plastered with signs meant to deter you from buying things there...NO PHOTOGRAPHY, DO NOT TOUCH, DO NOT TRY etc. Another customer wanted to try and jacket and see how it looks on his bike parked outside the shop, but no said the lady, it was not allowed. Anyways, being a hardcore Kolkata guy, i was not surprised. This shop will most likely not last too long. I bought a Rynox Magnapod (guess I am now a Rynox fan!).

I hope this experience helps others out to buy biking gear.

A few last words. Buying the gear is one thing...using it is another thing. It takes me about 30 mins to set up and get into the gear. Once on the bike (Him 450), it takes a lot of getting used to. Especially the gloves. With the riding pants, swinging the legs over the bike is a planned activity...as is wearing the helmet. But by and large i am happy with purchases. Have done a few rides at Ladakh in Jan and Feb 24 in double digit sub zeroes and barring the fingers, have survived the cold.

Ciao

Jai
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-20240211_131641-copy.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-20240211_131505.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-20240211_134802.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-20240211_143451.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-20240211_142313.jpg  

Debnjai is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 11:59   #4868

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumazure View Post
What is the best way to store gear when not in use? Would like to hear how people store the gear or carry out regular maintenance.
If I am not planning on using my riding gear for long duration, I remove all the inserts, and store the gear inside out.
tasty911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 12:09   #4869
BHPian

For chain lubing, I had bought these roller last month for Rs 1949. Now available at Rs 1299! It is a steal. These dumbbell shaped are better than plain rollers as chances of bike de-railing are less.

https://www.grandpitstop.com/grandpi...xoC3b4QAvD_BwE
ajay0612 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 13:07   #4870

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasty911 View Post
If I am not planning on using my riding gear for long duration, I remove all the inserts, and store the gear inside out.
I also checked my riding pants which had knox pads. Those are still holding very well almost as new. I think in my case the LS2 armour in the jacket was not that good for the longer run.
Old 1st March 2024, 10:23   #4871

Quote:
Deepak, this is fantastic how you've prioritized safety so early on! I wish I was (or could be) as wise
Do you experience pain in your heels, if you stand for sometime wearing these boots?

Last edited by bblost : 1st March 2024 at 10:28. Reason: Reduced quoted post, fixed some grammar.
Old 1st March 2024, 14:47   #4872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon.adv390 View Post
Do you experience pain in your heels, if you stand for sometime wearing these boots?
Too early to call it but as of now, no. It's quite comfortable. It does seem to get a bit warm though. I'll try and provide detailed feedback after using it.
Old 1st March 2024, 16:08   #4873
BHPian

Well, after reading the Karol Bagh Chopra experience, I must share and warm others too.
Please don't buy anything, especially helmets from Chopra. Not only the experience is horrendous in that dirty damp godown, but they often just throw new helmets around the godown. I saw them dropping a brand new helmet in a box while they were passing a helmet for me to try... And after I objected to that helmet, they just packed it back, for the next customer who didn't see this i suppose. The guy is also far from a biker and is a pure buisness man, his advice is completely wrong and he has no motorcycle experience. He was just pushing crap SMK helmets, telling me how glass fibre is carbon fibre etc.
There are many better motorcycle gear shops around, there was one near my place in Noida which I found out about later and felt like a fool for not going before. The owner was very knowledgeable and passionate and the space was much better, like a proper store and not someplace where I imagine a plague would start.
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 21:33   #4874
BHPian

Just came back from a 2200 km round trip from Mumbai to Rajasthan and giving an update on how the riding gear performed on such a long ride.

Jacket - The Alpinestars Sportown Drystar®
Rating - 5/5

The jacket was great. Very comfortable, and very breathable and the extra rain jacket worked brilliantly in the cold weather as my body was reasonably warm though my face and hands felt like they were suffering from frostbite ! (We Mumbaikars aren't built for cold weather )

Nothing pinched me or felt too heavy as the weight is well distributed. The jacket is discontinued though.

Gloves - Alpinestars Valparaiso Drystar Gloves
Rating - 1/5

I bought these for rain use as they were touted as waterproof for light to medium rains. Now Mumbai gets very heavy rains so I was under no illusions that the glove would work in such weather but I figured at least under moderate rain it would work.

No luck! In fact, it would retain water and my hands looked like they were fat and massive. Had to manually squeeze out the water when stopping at every signal.

So they were useless for rain but I figured since they were waterproof maybe (just maybe !) they would work well in the cold. Yes and no. They work somewhat better than normal perforated weather gloves but trying to get my fingers through the inner cloth mesh (which actually provides the waterproofing) was a task and a half. Even when I could manage to fit them properly they weren't very comfortable and they didn't do a great job of ensuring my hands stayed warm. So definitely a dud.

On a completely and utterly unrelated note, I am selling a sparingly used pair of Alpinestars Valparaiso Drystar Gloves gloves. PM me for details!

Alpinestars MM93 Twin Ring Leather Black Red White
Rating - 4/5

Got these gloves as a spare in case we were riding in warm weather in the afternoons but ended up using them exclusively after day 2 of the ride as they were a lot more comfortable to use. They do nothing for cold weather but I still preferred cold fingers to the uncomfortable DryStar gloves.

Very good quality and I am happy with them but they are a bit stiff even after a year of use so docking one point for that.

Rynox pants
Rating - 4/5

I had almost given up on these pants after buying them as I found the material itchy. Later on someone told me that I should never touch my skin with synthetic material directly but add a base layer of natural fibre. So started wearing a pair of cotton track pants as a base layer and voila they are much more comfortable and a lot safer than my riding jeans pants. Good protection with hip protectors and knee guards and the Cordura material is far more durable and resistant to abrasion than denim. Docking a point because the strap mechanism to secure the pants isn't that great.

Royal Enfield TCX Mid boots
Rating - 5/5 but realistically 4/5

These boots are extremely comfortable for the sort of protection they offer and though I have used them quite a lot over the past 2 years they are still going strong. I have another TCX boot from RE - Cabo that I wear for short rides and those aren't very comfortable even though they are of the same size.

It's an absolute shame RE discontinued these boots. Hope they reintroduce an updated version in the future as I love these boots.

Realistically I should be docking them a point as their water resistance doesn't work and they let it water even if I wear rain pants over them but I find them so comfortable I don't care and I am still awarding them 5 points.
bf1983 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 11:53   #4875

Quote:
Too early to call it but as of now, no. It's quite comfortable. It does seem to get a bit warm though. I'll try and provide detailed feedback after using it.
I have been using it for 4 months now, it does get warm, my feet started hurting a bit. I swapped ortholite insoles with the decathlon Gel ones. Initial impressions the feet don't hurt that much but will get to know after few weeks or months if the gel insoles do their job for a longer time.

Mod Note - Please go through Team-BHP's Posting Etiquette for better post composition. Please stick to similar format when composing your post.
Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 8th March 2024 at 12:00. Reason: Mod note attached.
falcon.adv390 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks