Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2020, 18:29   #3361
Distinguished - BHPian

Revit Sand 3 Gloves Review

Hey guys, this is a quick overview of the Revit Sand 3 summer gloves. I’ve only had this for about 500 kms, so this is not a full review. I’ll split this up into 4 parts, Style - Construction - Safety - and Fit and comfort. Alright, lets get down to it.

First things first, how do these gloves look? I’ve got the all black version with me, and Revit does sell these gloves in other colours, but I think this all black version is pretty stealthy. Revit hasn’t made this a billboard, so there’s just a big typeface Revit on the front, a Revit logo on the cuff, which is hard plastic sliding armour, and an embossed Revit logo on the index fingers.

I think Revit has done a good job giving these gloves a unique adventure look and have made sure they look light and minimalist. Good job.

What kind of materials have Revit used on these gloves? Goatskin leather for the palms is great. Goatskin is fantastic for abrasion resistance and they are very comfortable out of the box. So you’ve goatskin leather on all the abrasion zones of the gloves.

On the other side of the gloves, Resit’s sewn in something called PWR Shield. This is basically polyamide fibre and not Polyester. Polyamide is a stronger material, and Revit also uses it on their more expensive textile jackets. So its nice to get this tech in a $100 glove. What’s also awesome is that this PWR shield is full mesh so its great for air flow.

You also have a grip panel over the palm, and you’ve got double stitching in most places and outer seams are reinforced. We’ll have to see how this holds up long term though. And I’ll tell you why. These are my older San Pro gloves and look at what’s happened to them. Ofcourse, these gloves have been through hell, 50,000 kms and I haven’t babied them at all.

On the inside of the gloves, you’ve got a liner that Revit calls a Tri Fleece liner. I don’t think this is fleece at all, but I think maybe its as comfortable as fleece? Because this is strictly a two season glove, and if you live in the tropics I could push this as a three season glove. But the liner feels seamless, they’ve done a good job integrating it with the glove - it doesn’t feel like a separate liner at all. There’s no bunching up inside and it feels pretty tactile.

Now this is the big one. Protection. Right on the top, we’ve got injected thermo plastic rubber or TPR. Its about 7mm in height and has a hexagonal design like Revits own seesoft armour. Now this rubber is flexible, elastic, and almost like memory foam. It self contours to your hand when you wear it. and offers fantastic flexibility and range of motion. You’ve also got this same stuff on the fingers, thumbs and a big one on the palm.

But how well does this rubber do on tarmac on a high slide? Personally, I think this kind of armour works well for impact protection on light falls in the dirt.

We’ve also got hard plastic on the cuff, nicely done as a Revit logo.

There’s no reflectivity, which is not a big deal for me - your jacket or pants should have plenty of that.

So how do these gloves feel on the hands? In short, they are pretty darn good.

The fingers have stitching on the outside, so no hotspots on long riding days. The stitching don’t look overdone as well and keep the gloves looking good. Held Sambia’s, I’m looking at you.

Fingers have also been designed wider. My fingers expands ever so slightly with more blood flow on long days and the extra wiggle room is well worth it. The stryker 3 gloves from Revit have slimmer fingers, and I found my hands cramping up in those.

For a summer glove, the cuffs are longer than typical short cuff street gloves, great for additional protection and keeping the sun off your hands if your jacket sleeve is short.

Revits also got a small red finger loop to help get these gloves on. I’ll show you why these are such a great idea. When I fit them on, I tug at the bottom, and what have you - frayed seams. I think the Sand 3 gloves totally fixed this issue. So props to Revits designers for actually improving the everyday usability of these gloves.

The velcro pad’s been improved as well over the Sand pro’s. These are longer, and give better adjustability off the cuff.

There’s also Connect touch leather at finger and thumb tips. What i love about these is You cannot see it, its part of the construction. Just bloody brilliant.

Accordion panels on the fingers and more PWR mesh inbetween fingers for better range of motion. There’s also tiny perforations in the leather to keep your hands cool on really hot days on the road.

Just two issues so far. The TPR mould on the pinkie and thumb could cause a bit of irritation. I actually bruised a little, but I guess you just man up and get through with it. The gloves are also pretty stiff out of the box and take a while to break in.

The fit seems fine for me. I wore a medium Sand Pro, and the Medium Sand 3’s fit well.

So if you do a lot of dirt + adventure riding in hot weather, and you also commute every day, these are great gloves for the money. I’ll come back in 5,000 kms and put up an update on how these gloves fare. Until then, stay at home and stay safe!
Red Liner is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 11:12   #3362
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

I have finally decided to invest in riding gear and want to start with riding gloves. Could someone suggest me an all-weather riding gloves? By all weather, I mean mostly Chennai weather - Humid. Looking for around ₹2k budget
Old 22nd May 2020, 13:54   #3363
BHPian

I shortlisted gloves to these 4. What would be the best choice given I'd be riding with these daily on traffic with Chennai climate.

1. Rynox Air GT
2. Shield air mesh
3. Viettera Holeshot
4. BBG Breeze

My needs are:
1. Comfortable to wear on a hot, humid climate like Chennai
2. Riding in traffic mostly under the above climate
3. Would like it to be lasting for at least a few years
4. Should be nice to sweat (for the above reasons)
Old 22nd May 2020, 15:44   #3364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijai View Post
I shortlisted gloves to these 4. What would be the best choice given I'd be riding with these daily on traffic with Chennai climate.

1. Rynox Air GT
2. Shield air mesh
3. Viettera Holeshot
4. BBG Breeze
I am always soft to viaterra. I also find them to have the best build,fit,and finish of all Indian brands. Viaterra gloves would be my pick of the lot.

But for everyday traffic such gloves might be a bit over done. Maybe look at something like this: https://letsgearup.in/products/racer-roca-2-gloves-lime
Old 23rd May 2020, 09:56   #3365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I am always soft to viaterra. I also find them to have the best build,fit,and finish of all Indian brands. Viaterra gloves would be my pick of the lot.
Thanks! I was also eyeing at viaterra more than the rest. It wouldn't be for pure city rides. I'd be taking up highway rides too slowly. Plan to get trained for some touring.
Old 28th May 2020, 01:25   #3366
BHPian

Hello Respected members,

I did crash sometime back while returning from a morning breakfast ride. I was wearing the Rynox Storm jacket with level 2 protectors and that saved me pretty well, I must say. Now I am in the process of getting a new set of gears and have stuck myself in big puzzle. I want to invest a little more for the likes of Alpinestars or say Revit, something under 20k. However, expect a very few options, all the others in the big brands are with Level 1 protectors and without a back armor as well. I can buy the back armor separately.

So, what would be better? Buy something from the Indian brands like Rynox with level 2 protectors or invest in big brands like Alpinestars, Dainese or Revit with Level 1. If I have to take into consideration all the factors like built quality, fitting and comfort level along with armor class.
Tuisha110HP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 11:14   #3367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuisha110HP View Post
Hello Respected members,

I did crash sometime back while returning from a morning breakfast ride. I was wearing the Rynox Storm jacket with level 2 protectors and that saved me pretty well, I must say. Now I am in the process of getting a new set of gears and have stuck myself in big puzzle. I want to invest a little more for the likes of Alpinestars or say Revit, something under 20k. However, expect a very few options, all the others in the big brands are with Level 1 protectors and without a back armor as well. I can buy the back armor separately.

So, what would be better? Buy something from the Indian brands like Rynox with level 2 protectors or invest in big brands like Alpinestars, Dainese or Revit with Level 1. If I have to take into consideration all the factors like built quality, fitting and comfort level along with armor class.
Hi, you might get different perspectives on this. For me, it's always function over form and I tend to spend the least possible amount on gear but not compromise on safety. The logic is that every penny saved goes to fuel and travels. Hence I always prefer affordable brands like Solace, Rynox, Spartan, etc. The Solace Furious Jacket I use, for example, has CE - Approved level 2 Sas-Tec protection for elbows, shoulder, and back and has level 1 chest protectors too.

So in my perspective beyond a certain point, you're only paying for the brag quotient of a brand and not for safety anymore. So I'd prefer a high safety rated affordable brand at 15k versus an entry-level textile jacket of an A* or Dainese etc. If you intend to spend more money, however, then there are safer gears from these brands. That's a subjective call.
Added_flavor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 15:18   #3368
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuisha110HP View Post
Good question. In addition to the good points made by Added_flavor, let me throw in my 2 cents as well. I have used a DSG Nero jacket from around 2009 - 13, an A* mesh jacket from 2014 - 2019 and a Royal Enfield / Revvit touring jacket from 2018 onwards. I was looking to replace my A* jacket for a while and I checked out all the available options in the market with a budget cap of around Rs 25,000.

What I found was that the fitting of the jackets has changed considerably over the years. My old A* jacket fit me so well. But within A*'s current offerings itself, the fitting i.e. the length and width of the sleeves, the width at the chest / waist etc, differed based on the country of origin. A* jackets sold in India now come from two countries, some models are made in one country and other models in the second one. So for A* jackets, the fit of an XL size of one model made in country A will differ from that of a different model but in the same XL size from country B. Keep that in mind when you are trying out jackets.

That said, I found the fit of many jackets, to be slightly off, given my, mid 30's 5'11 frame. Many of them had sleeves that were tight (Revvit, A*) or the shoulder width was less (Solace mesh jacket, Rynox storm evo etc). There was no way that I could spend an hour riding with these ill fitting jackets. So try and see what fits you well first.

I observed that the fit and finish (i.e the quality levels) of the Indian jackets to be right up there with that of the international brands.

Anyways, after testing all the jackets, I found that the Rynox mesh Air GT3 jacket fit me the best and it gave me Safe Tech level 2 protection. It was a fourth of my budget but it was the right jacket for me. If you can stretch your budget and get a jacket from an international brand with upgraded armour, that fits you well, go for it. If I had found an A* jacket that fit me well with upgradable Level 2 armour, I would have bought it. I have used A* boots for around 9 years now as well are their gloves, I like their finish and longevity. I had to retire the SMX2 boots (they were still going strong!) that I got in 2011 and now use the SMX1R.

All said, since I couldnt get an A* jacket, I ended up buying the Rynox Air GT3 jacket instead and I am loving it so far.
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 20:13   #3369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post

Many of them had sleeves that were tight (Revvit, A*) or the shoulder width was less (Solace mesh jacket, Rynox storm evo etc). There was no way that I could spend an hour riding with these ill fitting jackets. So try and see what fits you well first.

I observed that the fit and finish (i.e the quality levels) of the Indian jackets to be right up there with that of the international brands.

I have used A* boots for around 9 years now as well are their gloves, I like their finish and longevity.
Hi Neil,

Thanks a lot for sharing such good insight. For me, I found the branded ones fitting me much better than my Rynox one I had. I was looking into the safety point of view which included the fitting, construction as well as armor being used. I saw a lot of A* jacket itself being CE certified garments as well. Looks like I shall wait now and wait for these hard times to pass by, so that I can visit shops and try them myself instead of online shopping.
Tuisha110HP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 14:37   #3370
BHPian

Hi I've have been following this thread for some time and had bought a forma adventure boots . But 8 months back I had a accident due to a dog ramming into me and broke my ankle and shin due to torsional twist. I'm now trying to buy a Sidi adventure 2 goretex boots after looking at the toucans ,as lots of forums had said praises about the Sidi and they had the vertebra kind of system to avoid torsional injuries on both the sides compared to the toucans with links on the outer side only. Has anyone over here used the Sidi adventure 2 . Please do advice as I'm importing one.
Old 10th June 2020, 14:52   #3371
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinodavid View Post
I'm now trying to buy a Sidi adventure 2 goretex boots after looking at the toucans ,as lots of forums had said praises about the Sidi and they had the vertebra kind of system to avoid torsional injuries on both the sides compared to the toucans with links on the outer side only. Has anyone over here used the Sidi adventure 2 . Please do advice as I'm importing one.
Sorry about your incident. I have also been looking at the sidi adv 2 as my next boots moving up from a TCX which is probably very similar in construction to your Formas. My riding has slowly started getting way more agressive than before and my falls have also increased dramatically.

Where are you importing it from and how much is it working out to?

My research,and very extensive at that, says the sidi adv 2 are the gold standard for aggressive dual sport riding but not motocross.

Have a look at this review:

Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 15:13   #3372
BHPian

Quote:
Have a look at this review:
Have seen the guys review and lots of others before actually coming to this decision.

Quote:
Where are you importing it from and how much is it working out to?
Well I'm importing it through a dealer in Kerala who in turn deals with Performance Racing in Mumbai I suppose but I'm getting it at good deal at Revzilla price. So it's ok with me. I need to know how the goretex fairs in Indian climate and as a daily use boots.

Quote:
Sorry about your incident. I have also been looking at the sidi adv 2 as my next boots moving up from a TCX which is probably very similar in construction to your Formas. My riding has slowly started getting way more agressive than before and my falls have also increased dramatically.
I've had falls but in this scenario I didn't fall it was a wolfhound breed that had got lose and it rammed into me while I slowed down twisting my leg inwards with its head.

Last edited by manson : 10th June 2020 at 16:07. Reason: Merged posts.
Old 10th June 2020, 16:43   #3373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Well I'm importing it through a dealer in Kerala who in turn deals with Performance Racing in Mumbai I suppose but I'm getting it at good deal at Revzilla price. So it's ok with me. I need to know how the goretex fairs in Indian climate and as a daily use boots.
450$ is not bad at all. How are you figuring out fit?

Any kind of liner WILL be warmer than a boot with no waterproof liner. Goretex however will probably breathe a bit better. In your humid Kerala weather, these boots will probably stink up your socks in no time. Bangalore or up north in the Himalayas is probably okay with these boots - dry heat is fine.

If a majority of your riding is going to be in warm, humid conditions, I would actually turn you away from boots with any kind of waterproof liner. Instead, get sturdy "close to" motocross level boots which will breathe better and get goretex socks for the inside. I have also been contemplating this approach instead of a waterproof boot for all round Indian conditions. But the tradeoff is that these will be stiff as hell to do any kind of walking around in.

Let me know what you think, will be good to hear opinions from our land.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 17:02   #3374
BHPian

Mod note: Please avoid using bold text for replies, it is bad netiquette. Thanks.
Quote:

450$ is not bad at all. How are you figuring out fit?
440$ , regarding fit I calculated the sizing from Sidi and had discussions with adv riders on revzilla regarding their foot size and width. Mine was euro size 43 and as Sidi run a bit narrow I went with 44 and I had calculated my width to size C . Users with size E width has had problems . So I avoided everything by going a size higher.

Quote:
Any kind of liner WILL be warmer than a boot with no waterproof liner. Goretex however will probably breathe a bit better
Quote:
If a majority of your riding is going to be in warm, humid conditions, I would actually turn you away from boots with any kind of waterproof liner. Instead, get sturdy "close to" motocross level boots which will breathe better and get goretex socks for the inside. I have also been contemplating this approach instead of a waterproof boot for all round Indian conditions. But the tradeoff is that these will be stiff as hell to do any kind of walking around in.
No mx boots , I had a alpinestars tech 3 and really struggled with gear shifts and walking around . So I'm trying to get good antiperspirant socks with infused silver to go with my Sidi. I hope it works out. My forma was waterproof but not as breathable as goretex( online reviews regarding goretex). So I was thinking the goretex should work out, fingers crossed.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th June 2020 at 17:38. Reason: Please do not type an entire post in bold.
dinodavid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 17:40   #3375
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi I've have been following this thread for some time and had bought a forma adventure boots .
Quote:
I use Sidi Adv 2 (Goretex) in Brown for my ride. I had a pair of Dainese Torque D1s before these. The Sidis are super comfortable on long rides. Easy to get in and out of. Provide sufficient protection from engine and exhaust heat on long endurance rides.

From a protection standpoint, the lower frame of the boots pretty much holds your foot snug fit. There is ample bracing around the heel area and the shins are patched nicely with protection as well. I've stayed in a pair for a long ride spanning 16 hours and not once did I feel any reason to complain.

The initial time from putting them on till the break in is a bit weird if you are graduating from non-adv boots. But once done, you are pretty much at home.

I bought my pair from fc-moto when they were running some offer for 10-15% off the retail price and that was the cheapest I had seen them in.

Just my $0.02. Hope that helps.

Quote:
Let me know what you think, will be good to hear opinions from our land.

EDIT: Tend to disagree with you Red Liner. I had the Alpinestars Tech 10 alongwith the Sidis for checking out the comfort. While the MX boots offer much superior grade of protection, they were darn uncomfortable to stand in for over 30 minutes. My legs had an impression of being in the boots even after removing them. I'd rather pick a pair of comfortable ADV boots than MX ones for street riding.

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th June 2020 at 17:43.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed