Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2020, 21:10   #3316
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

So i am taking delivery of my Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 in a couple of days and wanted to buy a new jacket, Royal Enfield has given a special offer on apparel so i was looking at the Royal Enfield Explorer V2 jacket, It costs 8500/- but i am getting a 20% on it. I have no idea how their jackets are so if anybody can give me an idea of the quality and longevity. I am also open to other brands as well under 8000/- if you can suggest me any.
Old 3rd January 2020, 00:15   #3317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Guys, any feedback for the newly launched Steelbird Blauer helmet.

https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...price/1767866/

I am in market for a open face helmet and contemplating about this model.

Thanks in advance,
-BJ
Did you get any responses? Try posting up here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-...elmet-189.html (Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet)
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 15:21   #3318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarManMotorcycl View Post
So i am taking delivery of my Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 in a couple of days and wanted to buy a new jacket, Royal Enfield has given a special offer on apparel so i was looking at the Royal Enfield Explorer V2 jacket, It costs 8500/- but i am getting a 20% on it. I have no idea how their jackets are so if anybody can give me an idea of the quality and longevity. I am also open to other brands as well under 8000/- if you can suggest me any.
Hi CarManMotorcycl,

I have personally found the RE jackets to be overpriced for what they offer. Please do check out the PGS jackets which cost around the 7k mark. I have used one for 4 years and have found it to be comfortable both in rain and sunshine. It does come with a removable inner liner which helps during the summer.

Regards,
aghate
Old 3rd January 2020, 15:50   #3319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on your new motorcycle. I own the Khardung La jacket from Royal Enfield and its a really good touring jacket. The quality is really top notch. I upgraded the back armour to Level 2. With discounts in place, the pricing is quite good to be honest. The only competitor that I was looking at was the Rynox Stealth Evo jacket which was unavailable all over India at that time but you should be able to get one today in a nearby store.

To best decide on your new jacket, look at the usage that you have and then decide accordingly. If you want a light airy jacket, look at the Street Wind option which is for Rs 4,500 and if you are getting the 20% discount on it, you are looking at a steal deal. You can upgrade some or all of the armour to Level 2 using the money that you are saving with your discount. For monsoons, you can get a raincoat from Decathalon to put over this jacket.

If you are more into touring, the Khardung La is a great option as well.

In addition to this, you have proven Indian brands like Rynox, Solace, Spartan and more with a plethora of options. Happy shopping.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 16:49   #3320
BHPian

Quote:
..wanted to buy a new jacket, ..
Make sure you get a jacket with a chest protector pocket. Most jackets will come with CE level 1 protectors for the elbow and shoulders and foam inserts for the chest and back. Throw out the foam inserts because they don't do anything. Buy level 2 armour (Preferably D3O) for everything. The upgraded armour will cost more than the jacket itself.

Last edited by Roy.S : 3rd January 2020 at 17:01. Reason: Typo
Roy.S is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2020, 17:35   #3321

Hello All,

Planning to buy my first Jacket. I have shortlisted listed the following:

1. Solace Urban Rival L2
2. Aspida Nemesis L2
3. Rynox Air GT 3

Any feedback on these and should I be looking at any other options ?

Regards,
Girish
Old 26th January 2020, 19:40   #3322
BHPian

I have a slightly unusual query. Do fellow riders here know of any formal riding pants. I commute to office in Bengaluru by bike and like to be with Maximum gear. Already have everything except a riding pant.

I am looking for something like the Zeus dark rider jeans (already have it and used to wear it to office daily though I have put on some weight and can no longer comfortably wear it) but a bit more formal that won't raise the security guards bushy eyebrows ( my office has a formal attire policy from Mon to Fri).

My budget unfortunately is not fixed yet but I would prefer something with Kevlar lining and provision for knee pads (already have the pads as such but adjustable pockets would be great).
Old 15th February 2020, 21:12   #3323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
I have a slightly unusual query. Do fellow riders here know of any formal riding pants.
Formal and riding pants, so far nothing of this chimaera exists. Riding and formals don't go together for that matter. I used to commute in formals when I had to follow dress codes, and current place doesn't have a dress code, so I wear denims.

Employers who blindly insist on formal dress code in the Indian subcontinent should also pay well enough for employees to commute by car and have enough parking for their employees at the office. This is blind copy-pasting of western offices rules- their environment is a lot cleaner, even those who don't commute to work by car but use the metro (such as in mega costly cities like New York , London, etc), are a lot cleaner than our public transport.

Your best shot is to carry a set of formals in a bag and change after you reach office - now I know most offices in India don't have shower and change room facilities, so how comfortable you are using the restroom, is where it's at.
Ricci is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 21:28   #3324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Formal and riding pants, so far nothing of this chimaera exists. ..

Your best shot is to carry a set of formals in a bag and change after you reach office
Thanks for the response. Actually I have seen quite a few chinos and formal pants as riding gear (that is lined with Kevlar and with hidden pockets for knee guards etc) in U.S and European sites.

But I can barely pay the amount for them (they are not exactly cheap) and customs charges would feel like an additional burden. I will post here for the benefit of others if I find something.

But as of now Zeus jeans and RE jeans are the only ones I know off and should help employees whose office policies don't forbid casual attire.

Also, while your solution is valid. I can't really do that since the washroom is inside the office and I won't be able to get past the security guard itself. But thanks for pointing it out. I used to do the same in my previous company (only to remove the knee guard and hip guard) since the jeans itself was allowed.

Last edited by JithinR : 15th February 2020 at 21:31.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 18:30   #3325
BHPian

Need help with choosing the right riding gears, will be relocating back to India and into solo riding after a long hiatus of 4 years.
Given most of my riding in would be in warm to hot weather, was considering the Rev'it Tornado 3 jacket; however, also heard really good things about the Rynox Stealh Evo V3. Features wise, feel the Rynox is a much better product with its outer rain liner(revit has an internal one which I don't like), kidney belt but the itch of buying a Rev'it while I am here in the UK and carrying it along is also high. The Rev'it has the brand name, beautiful fit and amazing build quality going for it but is twice the price of the Rynox and also doesn't come with CE lvl 2 back protector(£30 extra)unlike the Rynox.

Don't have the opportunity to try out the Rynox, can somebody who has experienced or tested both these brands provide guidance. If the Rynox build quality and safety is even 70% as good as the Rev'it am happy to pick it. Thanks in advance and apologies for the vague and subjective questions.
RabidBull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 19:04   #3326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBull View Post
Need help with choosing the right riding gears, will be relocating back to India and into solo riding after a long hiatus of 4 years.
Buy ALL your gear from there before you land here. Helmet, jacket, gloves, pants, boots the works. Buy everything from louis or some other european site and carry them down. You will save a hell of a lot of money.

Indian designed gear apart from Via terra are a hit or miss.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 19:21   #3327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Buy ALL your gear from there before you land here. Helmet, jacket, gloves, pants, boots the works. Buy everything from louis or some other european site and carry them down. You will save a hell of a lot of money.

Indian designed gear apart from Via terra are a hit or miss.
Thanks Red Liner for the brilliant advice. I was clearly in analysis paralysis mode. Already bought the Scorpion ADX-1 helmet ( AT-750 in the US).

For jackets and pants I tried out Rev'it, Dianese, Held and Oxford(think its a local brand). The workmanship on the Dianese and Rev'it were top notch, but the Dianese fit was more sport oriented unlike the Rev'it which was aligned to my liking of adv/sport touring.

Any other brands I should be trying out and that cost similar to these 2. Any diea of Richa, Furygan?
RabidBull is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 20:15   #3328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Red Liner for the brilliant advice. I was clearly in analysis paralysis mode. Already bought the Scorpion ADX-1 helmet ( AT-750 in the US).

For jackets and pants I tried out Rev'it, Dianese, Held and Oxford(think its a local brand). The workmanship on the Dianese and Rev'it were top notch, but the Dianese fit was more sport oriented unlike the Rev'it which was aligned to my liking of adv/sport touring.

Any other brands I should be trying out and that cost similar to these 2. Any diea of Richa, Furygan?
In addition to what you tried:

1. Spidi
2. Advspec (absolutely try this on). These guys are my pick at the moment for non goretex gear. All their stuff is made in Europe. The rest make it in SE Asia or China.
3. Klim if you can find a good deal. They are very expensive.
4. RST
5. Furygan, held, and oxford are sub par brands compared to the above. It’s like BMW vs Honda vs Hyundai.

You did well with the AT 750. It’s been getting great reviews everywhere. You are on the right track. Sit and read up on adventure gear from each of these brands.

I don’t know what kind of riding you do. If you tell us that and the bike you plan to buy or even graduate to in the near future, we can help you not make the mistakes we made lol.

Wait, considering you bought the scorpion, it’s adventure riding.

Last edited by Red Liner : 18th February 2020 at 20:17.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 12:43   #3329
BHPian

Quote:
Already bought the Scorpion ADX-1 helmet ( AT-750 in the US).

I think you meant the AT-950 and not AT-750, as far as I know, the ADX-1 is a rebranded AT-950 but I may be wrong
It's a brilliant buy! I have the exact same model I picked up from the US during Black Friday sale and I am super happy with the performance.

I picked up a Rynox jacket at the same time that my wife got a Rev'it. It's been a year now and while her jacket looks brand new, there are already stray strands pulling out on my jacket at the wrists and collar. From what I have been told, the European stuff is completely CE homologated whereas the desi brands have only the armor which is certified. If you get a good jacket there, I would recommend that over a Rynox or similar anyday.

Apart from jackets and pants, don't underestimate the confidence a good pair of boots gives you. I have TCX ADV boots and they are a god-send. See if you can pick up a good full length boot while you're there.

Good luck!
shreyascashyap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 16:43   #3330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
In addition to what you tried:

1. Spidi
2. Advspec (absolutely try this on). These guys are my pick at the moment for non goretex gear. All their stuff is made in Europe. The rest make it in SE Asia or China.
3. Klim if you can find a good deal. They are very expensive.
4. RST
5. Furygan, held, and oxford are sub par brands compared to the above. It’s like BMW vs Honda vs Hyundai.

You did well with the AT 750. It’s been getting great reviews everywhere. You are on the right track. Sit and read up on adventure gear from each of these brands.

I don’t know what kind of riding you do. If you tell us that and the bike you plan to buy or even graduate to in the near future, we can help you not make the mistakes we made lol.

Wait, considering you bought the scorpion, it’s adventure riding.
Thanks again. Stumbled upon a deal for the Rev'it Tornado 2 (sand/black colourway) yesterday, pulled the trigger as the Tornado 3 is substantially dearer than the discount pricing I got on the Tornado 2. The only thing I am not convinced about it is the inner rain liner, when it starts to rain can image the pain of stopping to fix the liner and even then the jacket becomes wet and heavy, but then its a small compromise I am willing to make. Still looking for other jackets and pants, can easily return the rev'it if I find anything better.

1. Spidi - Did some basic research, but I need to dig more.
2. Advspec - really impressive indeed, geared towards trail riders though.
3. Klim - really wanted the Klim induction jacket, my wallet disagrees though
4. RST - from some of the youtue videos, definitely warrants more research
5. Other brands - not even looking at them now

The helmet, as shreyascashyap pointed out, meant the AT-950(ADX-1 in Europe), typo.

Adventure riding is what I like but quite often it comes with a lot of road riding first, so am happy to get hot weather road oriented gear. I still shudder at the memory of the bike breaking down in 45 degrees heat, me wearing the DSG nero and dragging the bike for 2 kms before an awesome farmer helped me.
I have a 2011 CL500 which has seen a lot of non paved roads up north, plan to buy the 390 Adventure now. Was contemplating the Versys 650 and the V-Storm 650 too but I believe the 390 adv provides a lot of the same features for a lot less money, leaves me with decent monies to buy accessories and fuel. Didn't even consider the 310GS and the Versys 300. The only other option am considering at the moment is the Interceptor 650.
RabidBull is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks