Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2018, 15:13   #3211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
Bought Triumph LLANGOLLEN JEANS - BLACK during Independence Ride sale at Triumph Pune.

Cheers,
Amey
Amey, how much did these cost you? Any pictures of the jeans on you? They dont look like normal jeans at all though more like regular riding pants, and i am looking for something for day rides myself.

Last edited by Red Liner : 28th August 2018 at 15:18.
Old 29th August 2018, 09:41   #3212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Amey, how much did these cost you? Any pictures of the jeans on you? They dont look like normal jeans at all though more like regular riding pants, and i am looking for something for day rides myself.
MRP - Rs 15,000/- Costed me 30% (discount) lesser.

Don't have a photo of me yet but yes you're right it is a riding pant. "Jeans" is a part of the technical name mentioned by Triumph.

The pant is very comfortable and can be considered for day rides.

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 13:46   #3213
BHPian

Hello everyone, this is just the thread I was looking for. Great informative posts and participation! I am very new to riding gear, all my life I have just worn helmets, gloves and normal shoes. I am planning to upgrade to my first big motorcycle in a couple of months and would like to get myself a proper set of riding gear. As I am very new to riding gears, I am not sure how much to spend exactly and what are the aspects I must consider before buying a particular product. I am planning on buying the Suzuki GSX S750 or the Street Triple S within the next 2 months. I live in Bangalore, if that helps. Here are my requirements (sorry if they're very vague, you're guidance is extremely appreciated).

1. I know for certain that I would be needing a helmet, a jacket (from the small amount of research I have done, a mesh one would be apt. Again, correct me if I am wrong), riding pants, a pair of gloves and riding boots. I am not super rich so don't want to go for the top of the shelf products but again there can be no compromise on quality. How much should I be spending on these products and are there any popular choices here?

2. We all know it rains most of the time in Bangalore. Should I be buying some sort of rain protection sleeve that can be worn above the jacket or should a mesh jacket with an internal rain protection layer do the trick?

3. Regarding riding pants. I saw the riding jeans in the Triumph showroom and the sales guy explained to me about D3O and how good that is for protection. I would love to own something like this as these are way more comfortable that the usual riding pants. Is this move advisable and are there cheaper or better options with other brands? Can I maybe get similar riding jeans and some external protections which can be worn over the jeans if the protection given by the jeans is not enough?

4. (Final one, I promise ) Is there something else I should be getting apart from the above mentioned gear? I am not planning on going to the track. There might be a very odd track day and that's it. Mostly I'll be using the bike for weekend rides and for office commute some days. The rains are to be considered so I am not sure what else it to be bought.
Old 5th September 2018, 17:46   #3214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta_21 View Post
Mostly I'll be using the bike for weekend rides ...

In that case also consider buying some motorcycle luggage and a good set of tools. Wait till you buy the bike first, though.
Roy.S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 01:52   #3215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
In that case also consider buying some motorcycle luggage and a good set of tools. Wait till you buy the bike first, though.
Thanks Roy, point taken. That might come in handy and is something to be considered once I get the basic gear.
Old 6th September 2018, 19:31   #3216
BHPian

Quote:
2. We all know it rains most of the time in Bangalore. Should I be buying some sort of rain protection sleeve that can be worn above the jacket or should a mesh jacket with an internal rain protection layer do the trick?
After a few rides I've come to realise that an external rain jacket is always better. On a long ride you'll be switching between heavy rain and bright sun with short notice. The rain liner will make the jacket stuffy, so you will have to take it off when it's not raining, and re-insert it in a hurry when it starts raining. An outer jacket is faster to put on.
jackerhack is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 20:20   #3217
BHPian

Quote:
Here are my requirements (sorry if they're very vague, you're guidance is extremely appreciated).
All valid questions. But, answers to each of these will be subjective to the person. And, in some ways also will be linked to how long one has been riding and personal preferences.

I suggest you also add - knee and elbow guards. There will be occasions when you may not want to put on the riding jacket/pants.

Re; jackets - I am sure you know by now there are many options. As mentioned in one of the posts above - for rains within the city get something like ‘over the top’ raincoat. All decent riding jackets come with internal (detachable) rain liner. These eventually add to the weight of the jacket. Suggest you visit few stores and try out. Having bought a Rynox myself, 2 years later I feel I should have bought something which was a bit lesser in weight. As you don’t buy these items often, my personal view will be for you to go for something which is lighter in weight. What this also means is - you will pay more, but it will be comfortable to carry. Also, riding gears are an insurance. Don’t go overboard but given that you are indulging yourself by getting a superbike, do also extend the indulgence to cover the riding gears.

Same goes for riding pants and shoes.

As and when you get your bike, do take your bike outside the city. It will be worth it.

Safe riding.
Traveller Nayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 22:09   #3218
BHPian

Thanks a lot jackerhack and Traveller Nayak for the inputs. I am doing a fair bit of research and trying to find out places to try these gears. One of my friend is coming back from the US next month but asking him for all these would be a crime. Just planning on asking him to get a helmet once I decide on one as they are considerably cheaper there.

I am still unsure on how much to be investing on these gears. What is the starting range of a good jacket, riding pants and boots? There are a plethora of options and a ball park figure would really help me to arrange enough money. I have been saving for a while to get this bike and need to know how much more to save for the equipment. I will have to get more loan for the bike and invest my savings on the equipment.
Old 18th September 2018, 20:32   #3219
BHPian

After a lot of research I've narrowed down my options for the helmet and the jacket.

1. For the jacket it ought to be a mesh or textile as most of the riding will be in Bangalore and Chennai and it's kind of hot to wear leathers. So the new Alpinestars Leonis Drystar jacket seems like a good option. CE level 2 knee and shoulder protections. Mesh and Textile build with a removable Drystar waterproof liner.

2. Helmet I was thinking about going for the Scorpion EXO R 420 or the HJC FG 17. Both are reasonably priced, somewhere around the 15000 mark and are snell certified so they have the safety box ticked.

Has anyone ordered from bikegear.in? They have a huge collection and are offering free shipping. I want to know if they sell genuine products.

Also there is US based website www.ridersdiscount.com. They are offering free shipping for products over $400. Even though they don't have a lot of brands like Rev'it! and TCX. Has anyone here tried to ship through this website?
Old 21st September 2018, 18:48   #3220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also there is US based website www.ridersdiscount.com.
Yes, if you search this thread, members have successfully bought from them (Riders Discount).

Other stores to consider -RevZilla (USA), SPORTSBIKESHOP LTD (UK).

I have bought gear from the above two (shipped to the US) stores and both have very good and prompt customer service.
Old 21st September 2018, 20:08   #3221
BHPian

Thank you everyone for the valuable inputs. I am looking to buy the jacket and the helmet/boots/pants from the US. Since I know only one person coming from there next month, I can't expect him to bring the whole kit

I made the booking today for the GSX S750 blue and black paint scheme. Super psyched as this is my first bike in this capacity. The bike is expected to reach Bangalore by the end of this month but sadly I won't be here to take delivery. I'll be taking the delivery on the first week of October. I really have to get the basic gear before I take the delivery so am planning on visiting Dainese Bangalore and Orion motors tomorrow.
fiesta_21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 08:45   #3222
BHPian

Scala Marvel - Newest yet a kickass entry level mesh jacket?

After dropping close to almost 40kgs and barreling down from size 5XL to XL/L (depending on the brands) I had got a genuine reason this time around to spend some moolah on getting new riding gears without giving a slightest reason for my mom to worry about my savings going down the waste as she says it (I have 6 helmets, 3 jackets, 2 boots, 1 pant & 3 pairs of gloves already in old sizing)

I had already gotten myself new touring gear from Rynox and was looking forward to getting a jacket with good protection, decent looks and not too heavy on the wallet. I wasn't too convinced with the GT Air V2 from Rynox (Rynox makes superb and unbeatable class leading jackets like Tornado Pro, Storm Evo & Stealth Evo) so was looking at more options. thats when I came across this new brand called Scala Gears. They have a jacket named the Marvel which looked well built with just the right amount of mesh panels to aid sufficient air flow when puttering around city especially in summers. Also the jacket has good spread of 600D Cordura panels at impact areas so this seemed a good mix of practicality and safety to me. What bumped my liking towards the jacket is that it came with CE Level 2 armour even at the back. And this is a flexi-foam type of level 2 armour that basically adjusts itself to your body shape when seating on the motorcycle hence when having that backpack on there wont be any discomforting poky feeling from the armour. This to me avoids the need for breaking in too.

The jacket came along with two liners, thermal & rain. I'm yet to test the effectiveness of the same. The jacket comes along with many pockets of which all of them are waterproof. Even the liners have pockets that cam be put to use. Well some day I feel these pockets may help change the game for a few who are looking out to make the best use of their jacket (I have become like this since the time I have gotten married I suppose )

1. Dedicated Mobile Pocket
2. Two External Zippered Pockets
3. Internal Pocket with a Flap
4. Internal Zippered Pocket

With all these impressive specs (largely over its closest rival Rynox GT Air V2) I got this jacket home.

Its been only a 100+kms with the jacket but what impressed me after use is the air flow. Its just right enough to keep you comfortable in heat and vented in cold mornings. The jacket does a nice job of wind cheating as well. The padded stitched area at the shoulder makes it look cool and classy. It also provides for a good stress release region for the backpack straps during commutes. The fit of the jacket on and off the bike is really good. Not too snug, not too tight. Just perfectly accommodating.

I would say if you guys are out looking for a riding jacket thats good looking, practical and most importantly SAFE. I think this jacket should be the choice to be made for the ride in you who is a regular city commuter and that who rides to take it spiritedly on the weekends for those breakfast/chai runs to the hills and back.

The only shortcomings I could see is that the main zipper when pulled all the way to the top should have had a cross velcro strap to secure the zipper. The external pocket zippers should have had a rubber extension puller so that it helps in pulling the zippers with the gloves on.

Attaching website/buy link for reference: https://www.scalagears.com/product/marvel-black-black/

The Riding Gear thread-img_20180929_224357859.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-img_20181004_080809015.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-img_20181004_075001621.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-img_20181004_075954148.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-img_20181004_080317815.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-img_20181004_080440699.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-img_20181004_080634680.jpg

P.S For those who know me. I'm a die hard Rynox Fan and recently updated my closet with the Storm Evo L2 jacket & Advento riding pant for my long distance touring needs.

The Riding Gear thread-img_20181001_222033424.jpg

Last edited by akshayhonda : 4th October 2018 at 09:14.
akshayhonda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 19:33   #3223
Team-BHP Support

I have almost 10 year old Joe Rocket riding gear with me. I too have lost weight like Akshay and wish to replace.

Issue is, I changed my protectors an year back and spent a lot in changing them. Does Joe Rocket have jackets/pants w/o protectors?

I have an alter ego riding pant and the touring jacket is pretty similar to alter ego jacket with a bit longer height.

A decent riding gear will again cost me somewhere around 35K which I wish to avoid. Any help?

EDIT: what would be the difference between mesh & textile jackets?

Last edited by Sheel : 9th October 2018 at 19:37.
Old 15th October 2018, 14:21   #3224
BHPian

I am on the lookout for protection accessories for both rider and pillion. I am on a shoestring budget as of now and hence decided to take it slow with the additions. I ride a 2018 Duke 390.

I've decided to add elbow and knee guards only for now, and then, looking at the kind of riding, frequency of rides, time of the year when the rides are going to be most frequent, and eventually the enthusiasm of my pillion, I'll decide on the upgrades for Jackets, Pants etc.

I observed that the guards from Cramster online store are within my budget and should serve as a good stopgap arrangement for now. Do we have any firsthand reviews on the same on this forum?

Also, are there any budget riding jackets/pants that I can explore, may be around INR 3-4K mark? I'm based out of Mumbai and owing to mostly hot weather here, I would venture out on longer tours only during Nov-Feb. For Summers and monsoons, the trips would be limited to short tours in the western ghats or no trips at all. Hence, investing on expensive apparel does not seem to make sense at this point.

Would appreciate your views on this.

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th October 2018 at 14:26. Reason: Removing additional paragraph breaks.
Old 15th October 2018, 18:01   #3225
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Does Joe Rocket have jackets/pants w/o protectors?

EDIT: what would be the difference between mesh & textile jackets?
If I remember correctly, they did have a leather jacket without any armor but a majority of jackets seem to come with at-least the shoulder & elbow protectors these days.

Mesh is essentially a perforated jacket with excellent ventilation - probably the best for hot humid riding conditions in most of India.
You do sacrifice a little in slide protection but some of the higher end brands use higher quality material with longer abrasion (slide) resistance.

A Textile jacket will have specific areas that you can open / close (usually zipped or velcro) depending on how much / how less air you want to let in.
More abrasion resistance than mesh but will be warmer.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th October 2018 at 18:04.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks