Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2017, 20:00   #3121
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Hi,

some more purchase done today: riding jacket for wife, finally! Please read below for details.

Since few days I did some online (& bit of in-store) study. Mostly all the women specific jackets in the budget range are CE rated armors, and didn't find any with KNOX or Sastec protectors! Some doesn't have liners to offer! And since its for women (wife!), we need some design/color element too. Availability of sizes to personally try the fitting was also a criteria.

Just for the reference, the list of my findings for women jackets:
- Zeus (Zena @ 8100, Zena v1 @ 7600)
- Cramster (Dyna @ 6500, Breezer @ 6200)
- Aspida (Venus @ 7000, Aphrodite @ 7250)
- Solace (Asmi @ 6200), ticked all the boxes for us.

After comparing these jackets and looking at our requirements, I showed the pic to wife and she was happy. From Solace's Dealer page, today I called "Wildfire" at Goregaon West (their FB site), and confirmed if sizes to check are available, and I got positive response from owner Mr.Ricardo. By afternoon myself and wife went to check the size and picked one, it comes with two lines (thermal and rain).

I got chance to have a nice look at Solace Pant @ 7600 which looked quite good (Im directly comparing to Rynox Advento), a protection item my upcoming purchase. These Solace pant came with Sastec-L2 whereas Rynox ones with CE-1.
The Wildfire store was nicely stocked with many accessories, and Ricardo is a nice person, who was kind enough to gift me a Wildfire t-shirt, thanks.

regards,
Pranav
pcpranav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 20:58   #3122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Hi,

I got chance to have a nice look at Solace Pant @ 7600 which looked quite good (Im directly comparing to Rynox Advento), a protection item my upcoming purchase. These Solace pant came with Sastec-L2 whereas Rynox ones with CE-1.
The Wildfire store was nicely stocked with many accessories, and Ricardo is a nice person, who was kind enough to gift me a Wildfire t-shirt, thanks.

regards,
Pranav
I find Solace as quite good and VFM brand. I am using their Sprint Jacket and riding pant, which as you said are level 2 SAS TEC as compared to Knox of Rynox. Per me, the pants are very comfortable (have used it for around 3k kms now on rides) and just yesterday I did a 960 kms ride with thermal liner on (as it is winter already here at Bengaluru) and it was very comfortable.

KK
Old 3rd December 2017, 22:51   #3123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
I find Solace as quite good and VFM brand. I am using their Sprint Jacket and riding pant, which as you said are level 2 SAS TEC as compared to Knox of Rynox. Per me, the pants are very comfortable (have used it for around 3k kms now on rides) and just yesterday I did a 960 kms ride with thermal liner on (as it is winter already here at Bengaluru) and it was very comfortable.

KK
Do you know any shop in Blr who stocks Solace pants ? I have only seen Rynox Advento in stock everywhere.
Old 3rd December 2017, 23:28   #3124
BHPian

Quote:

KK
yes sir, I recall your earlier words too about Solace pants. nice to hear about your good experience. I recollect seeing a the leather patch near the butt area, I believe it'll help to get better grip on the seat and restrict the forward sliding ?

Normally do you directly wear these pants, nothing underneath (expect UG) ? One guy suggested to wear some thin dry-fit type pants and then these riding pants on top.

This also reminds me on a old thread by respected Haroon about riding special UG. Soon I may work on this topic as well, for better comfort ! Cycling nylon shots is one option to start with, ideas welcome.

PS: I know which V ride you guys did, kudos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Do you know any shop in Blr who stocks Solace pants ? I have only seen Rynox Advento in stock everywhere.
Solace is a Bangaluru based company - did you call them directly. Their website mentions about a dealer "Rainbow Helmet" in Bangaluru. And do share your feedback on those pants, thanks.
Old 4th December 2017, 07:26   #3125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Solace company shop itself there at Banashankari, if you type Solace International in maps you will get it.

[quote]
Quote:
yes sir, I recall your earlier words too about Solace pants. nice to hear about your good experience. I recollect seeing a the leather patch near the butt area, I believe it'll help to get better grip on the seat and restrict the forward sliding ?

Normally do you directly wear these pants, nothing underneath (expect UG) ? One guy suggested to wear some thin dry-fit type pants and then these riding pants on top.

This also reminds me on a old thread by respected Haroon about riding special UG. Soon I may work on this topic as well, for better comfort ! Cycling nylon shots is one option to start with, ideas welcome.
/QUOTE]
Yes I wear straight on the UG and some people where over a think 3/4th pants also, so you can try whichever way you feel comfortable.

A Versys rider told me about the gel based UG which cyclists use, which should be available at Decathlon. You can check out those.

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 4th December 2017 at 07:27.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 10:16   #3126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One guy suggested to wear some thin dry-fit type pants and then these riding pants on top.
Quote:
A Versys rider told me about the gel based UG which cyclists use, which should be available at Decathlon. You can check out those.
Talking about base-layers, here is a good article.

I have picked up base-layer pair from nearby RE store when they had good discounts earlier this year. Also have bought a warm base-layer from Decathlon store for winters.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 17:41   #3127
BHPian

Regarding what to wear under riding pants, I do the below:

When riding in normal weather conditions, I wear a skin tight synthetic pant, in simpler words those stretchable kind of slacks/leggings. I got one from Decathlon overseas (not sure if it's available in India). These help to prevent itching which happens due to sweat and the mesh nature of riding pants. Being quick dry ones, they don't retain water at all! Even in rains. I find them extremely comfortable to wear them inside.

Other option is to wear a basic simple cotton track pant, thin and bit tight fit.

For cold conditions, wearing thermal base layers helps. Those available from Lux Cozi etc.
Dodge_Viper is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 11:44   #3128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Regarding what to wear under riding pants, I do the below:

When riding in normal weather conditions, I wear a skin tight synthetic pant, in simpler words those stretchable kind of slacks/leggings. I got one from Decathlon overseas (not sure if it's available in India). These help to prevent itching which happens due to sweat and the mesh nature of riding pants. Being quick dry ones, they don't retain water at all! Even in rains. I find them extremely comfortable to wear them inside.
Are those the quick dry running wear from decathlon?

In rides lasting longer than 3hrs I wear the gel shorts by btwin from decathlon, they are a very comfortable fit and fuss free. Depending on the weather, over the gel shorts in summer I wear the FORCLAZ 50 hiking trousers. In winters I wear a Levi Jean with a thermal beneath it depending on the temperature. All of this capped with a DSG riding pant.
Dramitn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 13:08   #3129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramitn View Post
Are those the quick dry running wear from decathlon?

In rides lasting longer than 3hrs I wear the gel shorts by btwin from decathlon, they are a very comfortable fit and fuss free. .
How long does the gel shorts from decathlon last on a ride before pain sets in again? What's the longest you've done with them?

I think nothing beats actually strengthening your butt with yoga and sit ups
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 13:13   #3130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
How long does the gel shorts from decathlon last on a ride before pain sets in again? What's the longest you've done with them?

I think nothing beats actually strengthening your butt with yoga and sit ups
Well the longest time with the gel shorts was on my Leh ride, that was 15hrs from 4am to 7pm . I kept shifting myself every hour to redistribute the gel. Had no issues.

Well I prepared myself for the ride with squats, deadlift, pull ups and push ups
Fitness is a must for long rides according to my opinion
Dramitn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 13:28   #3131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramitn View Post
Well the longest time with the gel shorts was on my Leh ride, that was 15hrs from 4am to 7pm . I kept shifting myself every hour to
redistribute the gel. Had no issues.
Are these just called as gel shorts or does it have a unique name. Paying a visit to Decathlon this weekend and would love to check it out along with the quick dry inners??
Old 7th December 2017, 13:46   #3132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Are these just called as gel shorts or does it have a unique name. Paying a visit to Decathlon this weekend and would love to check it out along with the quick dry inners??
https://m.decathlon.in/p/8381832_900...ct_description

There you go, that's the link in decathlon. The guys at decathlon will help you get the right one. There are different pads depending on the duration you ride.
Dramitn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 23:18   #3133
BANNED

Guys... I ride a Dominar and I am looking for recommendations for knee guards. I bought the elastic ones with soft padding from Spartan. They are nice. But, they are internal guards to be worn underneath the pants and over a day of riding, they get pretty uncomfortable, and even painful.

I am bit wary of buying external guards because unlike the REs, Dominar is more of a hug-the-tank style of riding and I don't want to scratch the tank with my guards.

So, if any of you ride KTMs or Dominars and use external guards, I would appreciate your feedback on them with respect to level of protection, comfort, ease of use, and potential to scratch the side of the tank.

Thank you
Old 18th December 2017, 23:41   #3134
Senior - BHPian

Every hard knee guard worn externally will have a tendency to scratch the tank eventually.
A work around is to use side tank pads at the contact area to avoid scratching. They come in various shapes and sizes, even bike specific. Can also be had in transparent color for a conceal look.
Have used them on rides and work well. Alternatively, riding pants with in built protection is the way to go.

Last edited by bigron : 18th December 2017 at 23:42.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 00:16   #3135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Guys... I ride a Dominar and I am looking for recommendations for knee guards. I bought the elastic ones with soft padding from Spartan. They are nice. But, they are internal guards to be worn underneath the pants and over a day of riding, they get pretty uncomfortable, and even painful.

I am bit wary of buying external guards because unlike the REs, Dominar is more of a hug-the-tank style of riding and I don't want to scratch the tank with my guards.

So, if any of you ride KTMs or Dominars and use external guards, I would appreciate your feedback on them with respect to level of protection, comfort, ease of use, and potential to scratch the side of the tank.

Thank you
I have not used knee gaurd but have seen that they scratch the tank and uncomfortable at times.

So instead I bought a Solace riding pants which has SAS TEC level 2 armours and I am pretty happy with that. You can try riding pants and then decide whether to go for knee gaurd or pants.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks