Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2017, 11:51   #3001
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely boots atul. These look a bit shorter than the tcx adv i have. Mine comes with 3 buckles, theres one right on top extra over the velcro flap.

Are your buckles aluminum? Mine are plastic.
Old 18th May 2017, 11:54   #3002
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Lovely boots atul. These look a bit shorter than the tcx adv i have. Mine comes with 3 buckles, theres one right on top extra over the velcro flap.

Are your buckles aluminum? Mine are plastic.
Thanks mate. The Toucan comes with aluminium buckles. These are regular TPU ones. But the Toucan buckles can be fitted on these for $50.
Old 18th May 2017, 12:34   #3003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atul.ktm View Post
A friend who is a Tiger owner has the Triumph branded A* Toucan Goretex boots. They are way more expensive than the regular Toucan. So if you have the money, buy the regular A* Toucan if someone can get it from the US, Triumph branded ones makes no sense as it's the same boot with just the Triumph branding.
Lovely boots, If at all I go for non gore-tex, I would probably settle for either Corozals or TCXX Drifter (available in India at Rs. 22500). problem is to get Corozals from US, as no one i know is travelling anytime soon.

Just checked again, Triumph cobranded Toucans are available in India for Rs. 26k, which I feel very reasonable price considering they cost $499.95 in US.

If I compare options available in India then it is either Drifter or Triumph Toucans (Gore-tex)
Old 18th May 2017, 13:00   #3004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Just checked again, Triumph cobranded Toucans are available in India for Rs. 26k, which I feel very reasonable price considering they cost $499.95 in US.
That's brilliant pricing for the Toucan. I wonder how they managed to keep the price so low. As i was saying, the Tiger friend paid around 35k for the boots. He even got the 66k Triumph touring jacket and pants.
Old 18th May 2017, 20:43   #3005
BHPian

I went and checked Triumph Toucans, awesome boots, cost 26k, but disappointed as they are way too loose for me. I wear size 39 in any normal shoes, I have Alpinestars smx6 and Roam 2 both are 41 which are perfect fit. But Toucans in 40.5 size are way too loose. I wish I could pick them up. Search for right touring boots continues
Old 18th May 2017, 21:03   #3006
Senior - BHPian

Just took delivery of my first pair of riding shoes!
Went for the TCX X-Ville mainly because this is the most sneakery yet functional shoe I could find. Ordered it on Motardinn.com and ended up paying a little more than what I would have liked (all thanks to 50% import duty) but the damage has been done so no point crying about it now!

The Riding Gear thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1495120230.764484.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1495120242.604871.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1495120255.937862.jpg

Ordered EU43/US9 and it fits spot on! I was quite worried about the sizing as I wear US8 in Converse and US10 in Puma but these fit just fine.

The Riding Gear thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1495120278.549884.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1495120308.629692.jpg

The build quality looks good and the removable shift pad was a pleasant surprise. The toe box looks decently rigid and so do the heel and malleoli protectors. They are manageable to walk in, not too uncomfortable.
They flow close to no air but that was no surprise as they are supposed to be waterproof. Could only try them on for a short 30 minute spin but hope to wear them soon on a Hyd-Blr ride.

The Riding Gear thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1495120336.153000.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1495120383.038646.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1495120396.990607.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1495120411.855060.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1495120424.395791.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1495120436.360454.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1495120447.942635.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1495120461.873692.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1495120476.889271.jpg

All my gear so far-

The Riding Gear thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1495121480.553923.jpg

1. Alpinestars T-Jaws Air textile jacket- Ordered it on RidersDiscount.com for $168 and a friend got it down from US. Flows enough air when on the move in the 40+ Hyd summers. Enough to not end up looking like a hot wet stinky mess at the end of the ride
It is a size Small and fits my rather petite body pretty well, albeit a tad bit short. Armor stays in the right places, but I wish it had an adjustment at the elbow level as I have petite-er arms.

2. Cramster perforated leather gloves- Picked these up from Bike-o-pedia here in Hyd soon as I got my Duke 390 in December last year. Did not know much about gear back then and wanted to buy something immediately as I was riding to BLR the next day so ended up getting these. A few stitches started coming loose by the time I reached BLR but otherwise they are quite decent, I guess! Flow enough air to not make my hands sweaty in the May summers but still comfortable in the chilly December mornings.

3. AGV K3 SV- Just posted about this in the helmet thread.

Need to get a pair of riding jeans now. Was eyeing the AGV Sport Corsica- https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...a-riding-jeans
A friend is flying down to US soon so will mostly get it in a couple of months.

PS: I love black.
shyn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 13:31   #3007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Guys any of you have experience buying gear from PlanetDsg ?

http://www.planetdsg.com/

I recently got a pair of gloves which i need to replace. However they are not responding to my mails or replying to my message in "contact us" section of their website. They have given a single contact number (+91 20 26052918) which always rings and never works
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
I had a similar experience while ordering a riding boot from the website last year. The order was accepted and no further action happened. I tried calling up multiple times at the same landline that you referred to. No response to emails either. A couple of days later I finally managed to get through to a manager there who apologized for lack of stock and refunded the order. I suggest trying the number multiple times during the day till you finally get through.

Ironically, I've had a great experience buying from the PlanetDSG guys in Juhu, Bombay. Great guys to deal with.
Finally they replied to my FB message on their page saying the number is functional again. I called them up, told them about the situation and they accepted to replace the product. I am not having a good experience with them compared to other eCommerce portals people are used to. Take this example:

Amazon/Flipkart
+ There is always some discount on most products.
+ Shipping is free mostly on all orders over 500.
+ Return process can be initiated on website or over call.
+ Returned goods are picked up by their agents.

Planet DSG
- No discount on most products. I paid MRP on the gloves i bought.
- I have to pay shipping of 200 on a product that costs 3500
- Got harassed contacting them on mail, website, call, facebook.
- I have to return by shipping the product myself at my own cost.

The only reason they are existing in this market by offering such kind of service is by delivering niche products (Aplinestars) which is not available officially elsewhere. They are taking their customer for granted as they know that niche segment will always come to their door. This is totally unacceptable after paying MRP price+Shipping. I will shop from international stores next time who offer plethora of options at great prices. Yes delivery time and customs issue will be a problem but still it will be worth it. So far i am having a very good experience with Aliexpress from where i source car, camera, phone accessories and much more !
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 02:54   #3008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Finally they replied to my FB message on their page saying the number is functional again. I called them up, told them about the situation and they accepted to replace the product.
Finally the replacement arrived Presenting my first Alpinestars product:

Fighter Air Gloves
The Riding Gear thread-1.jpg

http://www.planetdsg.com/alpinestars...ck-p-1937.html

What i like
  • Good fit & finish, Alpinestars logo & snob value
  • Suits my requirement for a lightweight & comfortable glove for city use.
  • Touchscreen compatible index finger is a boon for people who use mobile mount on their bike.

What i dont
  • Better options in terms of protection are available from less popular brands at this price range (3.5K INR)
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 07:19   #3009
BHPian

I finally settled for Alpinestars Toucans, cobranded as tour adventure boots by Triumph. Although 40.5 felt little loose, I decided to use thick socks and extra insole. Did one quick 200kms ride, and I think it was a good decision, though they are yet to be Rain tested.

Gear shifting on these is bit tricky, and if you have little narrow bottom waterproof pants, then wearing them over the boots is a problem. So I need to do something about my rev'it pants, planning to alter the velcro strap, hope that works.

Good part is, these are made in Croatia, and Triumph got it here in UK price, far cheaper than US, and on top of it I managed to get some discount as well

Last edited by throttleking : 9th June 2017 at 07:26.
throttleking is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 08:25   #3010
BHPian

Quote:
I finally settled for Alpinestars Toucans, cobranded as tour adventure boots by Triumph.....though they are yet to be Rain tested.

Gear shifting on these is bit tricky,.....

Good part is, these are made in Croatia, and Triumph got it here in UK price, far cheaper than US, and on top of it I managed to get some discount as well

The alpinestars Toucan sold by Triumph (with the Triumph logo) is top notch quality and VFM.
It's Gore Tex, so 100 % water proof. The boots will loosen up a bit eventually, and gear shifting would be easier.
I have ridden with these in pouring rain, walked in a puddle of water, and my feet have stayed dry. Perfect for the rainy season.
Happysmiles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 10:21   #3011
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
Just took delivery of my first pair of riding shoes!
Went for the TCX X-Ville mainly because this is the most sneakery yet functional shoe I could find. Ordered it on Motardinn.com and ended up paying a little more than what I would have liked (all thanks to 50% import duty) but the damage has been done so no point crying about it now!
You got slapped 50% straight on? How much exactly did the boots work out to, could you split it up?
Old 9th June 2017, 10:51   #3012
BHPian

Quote:
I finally settled for Alpinestars Toucans, cobranded as tour adventure boots by Triumph. Although 40.5 felt little loose, I decided to use thick socks and extra insole. Did one quick 200kms ride, and I think it was a good decision, though they are yet to be Rain tested.

Gear shifting on these is bit tricky, and if you have little narrow bottom waterproof pants, then wearing them over the boots is a problem. So I need to do something about my rev'it pants, planning to alter the velcro strap, hope that works.

Adding few pictures, now that completes my waterproof touring gear :

Helmet : Nolan N87
Jacket : Rev'it outback / sand series, sold as Darcha by RE
Pants : Rev'it outback / sand series, sold as Darcha by RE
Gloves : Alpinestars Yari waterproof gloves
Boots : Alpinestars Toucan, sold as Tour Adventure Boots by Triumph
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-img_20170609_104018.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20170609_104042.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20170609_104103.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20170609_104302.jpg  

throttleking is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 16:22   #3013
BHPian

I am thinking of buying a mesh riding jacket just for the city. Current riding jacket is all textile and can't be worn in the city without having a heat stroke. Plus, it's 5 years old now.

Sadly, nothing good is available in my city. So I am thinking of ordering online.

I've shortlisted Aspida and Scimitar Razor

Can anyone recommend which one should I go for? And, can I trust Spartan Pro Gear for online shopping? I visited another website called Store4riders, and I'm really unsure if they can be trusted either.

Also, can someone recommend some online stores for riding jackets?

Thanks!
Old 24th June 2017, 13:43   #3014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
You got slapped 50% straight on? How much exactly did the boots work out to, could you split it up?

Sorry for the late reply. Saw this post just now.
I paid ₹6767 for the shoes and ₹6620 for my helmet (AGV K3 SV). Ordered them together so had to pay for the shipping of just one item, that is ₹1700.
When it landed here, I was slapped ₹7000 as import duty for the package that included the shoes and the helmet.
You do the math, sir.
I know I overpaid for the shoes, but like I said, the damage has been done now and there's no point crying about it now. Sigh!
Old 3rd July 2017, 14:44   #3015
BHPian

Safety is not based on cc.
The Riding Gear thread-img20170703wa0062.jpg
Vignesh_N/A is offline   (16) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks