Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Road Safety > Ride Safe


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2018, 14:28   #3151
OmV
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 15
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
In the meanwhile I had ordered Safety Riding Boots from Armstrong Products, Mumbai after seeing them on Facebook.
========
Cheers...
Hi Dkaile - I happened to see this review while searching for affordable but functional riding boots for the time being. Since the review is a 3+ years old and I am sure you have moved on to bigger and better boots; I thought Id check how these fared for you after sustained use - for as long as they lasted.
Thanks
Omkar.
OmV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2018, 10:05   #3152
BHPian
 
akshayhonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Goa
Posts: 133
Thanked: 179 Times
Default Shima RSX6 Sport Touring Boots - Checking the new kid in town!

Initial impressions of Shima India RSX6 Racing/Sport Touring boots!

The Riding Gear thread-img_20180201_15545988401.jpeg

Comfortable yet snug is what best defines the boot aptly. The boot has a dedicated focus on safety like what race boots are known for. Foot movement is very restricted (up-down for brake and gear lever usage only). The rear X-shaped brace is rigid yet flexes while walking making it usable when off the bike. Also the internals of the boot is made up of a soft mesh based material that keeps the feel comfortable and doesn't allow to get stuffy. The frontal perforations provide the much needed air flow as one starts riding and it gets better as the speeds increase too. All these benefits allow this boot to be used in touring scenario with a slight compromise in the foot mobility but that's due to the level of protection this boot offers.

Lastly at INR12,500 the kind of fit and finish along with the overall quality this boot offers. This is a steal for those guys looking for a boot that does it all well yet doesn't burn a hole in ones pocket. And in this high-visibility flouro green colour and its overall design it ticks all the right boxes in the style quotient too.

P.S. This boot took me just 150kms of ride to break-in fully. Also for me personally it took around 70-80kms of ride to get used to the boot and settle in well laying the much need focus on enjoying the ride and the road ahead.

In case you guys wanna buy them: http://www.motoignite.com/product/rsx-6-men-boot/

The Riding Gear thread-img_20180204_16445280001.jpeg

Last edited by akshayhonda : 5th February 2018 at 10:07.
akshayhonda is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2018, 10:48   #3153
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 84
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Hey Team Bhpers. Any suggestions for a riding jacket for women? I'm looking for a good one for my wife so she can tour comfortably and safely along with me. Look forward to your inputs on the same. Thanks in advance.
MadRasTan4986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2018, 12:04   #3154
BHPian
 
tabrez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 125
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRasTan4986 View Post
Hey Team Bhpers. Any suggestions for a riding jacket for women?
You probably should start from SPG's Aspida Venus or Aphrodite. The Aphrodite takes a more visual cue going for it otherwise they are pretty much on-par with each other. I personally have been using their gear (Jacket, Gloves) and find their offering of great value with uncompromised quality.
There are of-course other's (Zeus) which offers riding gear curtailed for women but personally I've little experience with them.
tabrez is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2018, 15:03   #3155
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 84
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post
You probably should start from SPG's Aspida Venus or Aphrodite.
There are of-course other's (Zeus) which offers riding gear curtailed for women but personally I've little experience with them.
I'll be sure to check them out. Thanks for your inputs. I remember Cramster also had a women's jacket. Not sure if they still do.
MadRasTan4986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2018, 15:12   #3156
BHPian
 
Dramitn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Belagavi
Posts: 62
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRasTan4986 View Post
I'll be sure to check them out. Thanks for your inputs. I remember Cramster also had a women's jacket. Not sure if they still do.
Yes they do have it for women, had got one for my wife. We used it for the Ladakh trip, still serving well. A decent budget jacket for the occasional rider.
Dramitn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2018, 17:18   #3157
BHPian
 
akshayhonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Goa
Posts: 133
Thanked: 179 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRasTan4986 View Post
Hey Team Bhpers. Any suggestions for a riding jacket for women? I'm looking for a good one for my wife so she can tour comfortably and safely along with me. Look forward to your inputs on the same. Thanks in advance.
Checkout of Shima riding jackets for women on www.motoignite.com
akshayhonda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2018, 17:20   #3158
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 84
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramitn View Post
Yes they do have it for women, had got one for my wife. We used it for the Ladakh trip, still serving well. A decent budget jacket for the occasional rider.
Thanks for the feedback Dramtin. Good to know Cramster is still at it. I just had a look at their website. They have two models for women.
The one you purchased for your wife, would this be the Breezer or Dyna touring model?
MadRasTan4986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2018, 17:40   #3159
BHPian
 
Dramitn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Belagavi
Posts: 62
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRasTan4986 View Post
Thanks for the feedback Dramtin. Good to know Cramster is still at it. I just had a look at their website. They have two models for women.
The one you purchased for your wife, would this be the Breezer or Dyna touring model?
We got a Breezer jacket, I would suggest you to try out the jackets before buying them, we had a problem with the sizes, so tired it out and then brought it
Dramitn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2018, 10:39   #3160
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 84
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayhonda View Post
Checkout of Shima riding jackets for women on www.motoignite.com
Thanks for the link. Checked out the site. However they seem to have only gloves and riding boots for women. No mention of any women's riding jacket.
MadRasTan4986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2018, 10:43   #3161
BHPian
 
theredliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 583
Thanked: 1,010 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Sometime in last June, I decided to buy a pair of new gloves to replace my Spartan Ares. The Ares had given up a stitch on the left index finger within 15000 km of usage and the leather around that region tore after another 5000 km.

I looked at many of the local offerings around like Rynox, Solace etc. Dropped Rynox due to poor user reviews. I dropped Solace as it had hundreds of cheesy brand logos all around. I prefer clean looking gear that don't make me look like a billboard. After all, I'm paying for their product and not the other way around. I already had a pair of TBG Sport gloves, which I had decided to reserve for highway rides

Due to this, I decided to give SPG one more try and placed an order for 'Aspida' Ares. The first pair I received had a plastic thread jutting out near the wrist elastic on the inside causing a lot of irritation when worn. Talk about SPG QC. I sent it back at my own cost and got another pair. Used them for my commutes at the rate of 2-3 times a month. The first thing I observed with the new Ares was how the leather felt thinner instantly compared to my old pair from 2014. The new pair overall felt more made-to-cost compared to the older one. My TBG Sport seem to have much thicker leather.

All was fine apart from the 'feel' until last week when I saw a small hole in the leather in the right index finger. This on a glove with less than 1500 km of usage. Talk about quality! It makes me doubt if they use leather or pleather.

I had heard a lot about Spartan's garbage customer service. I got to experience it first hand when they just flat-out refused to even worry about it while feeling 'sorry' about my condition. Well, 'Spartan', I feel sorry for myself for having given you a second chance.

This is one of the reasons why I had stopped buying gear from these crappy local companies in spite of it being more expensive to buy it abroad. They let their greed take over once the brand is established and the quality starts going down the drain.

With gloves, I had to make exceptions as my hands are of weird proportions and buying without trying would be extremely risky. I guess, I'll have to start sourcing gloves from international brands too.

Last edited by theredliner : 7th February 2018 at 10:49.
theredliner is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 09:15   #3162
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,466
Thanked: 1,623 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

All my gloves are revit and i have never been dissatisfied or disappointed. Even the rynox luggage quality is highly suspect. The only indian manufacturer or riding related gear i will trust is via terra. They absolutely take their stuff super seriously. I am happy to pay a premium for their kit.
Red Liner is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 10:50   #3163
BHPian
 
b16h22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Thrissur
Posts: 126
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Due to this, I decided to give SPG one more try and placed an order for 'Aspida' Ares. The first pair I received had a plastic thread jutting out near the wrist elastic on the inside causing a lot of irritation when worn. Talk about SPG QC. I sent it back at my own cost and got another pair. Used them for my commutes at the rate of 2-3 times a month. The first thing I observed with the new Ares was how the leather felt thinner instantly compared to my old pair from 2014. The new pair overall felt more made-to-cost compared to the older one. My TBG Sport seem to have much thicker leather.

All was fine apart from the 'feel' until last week when I saw a small hole in the leather in the right index finger. This on a glove with less than 1500 km of usage. Talk about quality! It makes me doubt if they use leather or pleather.

I had heard a lot about Spartan's garbage customer service. I got to experience it first hand when they just flat-out refused to even worry about it while feeling 'sorry' about my condition. Well, 'Spartan', I feel sorry for myself for having given you a second chance.
Thanks for the heads up. I was planning to pick up a new pair of Ares gloves to replace my old pair. They are well into 3 years of usage now and held up pretty well even after two minor mishaps. It's disappointing to know that SPG quality has dropped significantly. I should've known better when my SPG WP gloves failed in a month, recently
b16h22 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 12:33   #3164
BHPian
 
theredliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 583
Thanked: 1,010 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The only indian manufacturer or riding related gear i will trust is via terra. They absolutely take their stuff super seriously. I am happy to pay a premium for their kit.
Agree. I dropped my plans to buy Rynox after hearing about their quality issues and ended up buying a Viaterra tank bag. The quality is great except the securing straps which need a replacement every 20-30 rides or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I was planning to pick up a new pair of Ares gloves to replace my old pair. They are well into 3 years of usage now and held up pretty well even after two minor mishaps. It's disappointing to know that SPG quality has dropped significantly. I should've known better when my SPG WP gloves failed in a month, recently
Happy to help a fellow rider. I too should have done the same by listening to the negative feedback of other riders about newer SPG products before jumping the gun.

Another thing I had forgotten to add. I bought SPG Balaclava within 2 months of buying the Ares and the thing gave up stitches near the cheek area after just 2 rides (< 100 km). These guys should take a relook at what exctly it was that had made them famous. It was the quality promise against the notorious reputation that DSG and Cramster had back then for quality and service. These guys are taking the same route that DSG and Cramster had taken back in the 2011-12 time.

Last edited by theredliner : 9th February 2018 at 12:49.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2018, 23:10   #3165
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 553
Thanked: 615 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRasTan4986 View Post
I'll be sure to check them out. Thanks for your inputs. I remember Cramster also had a women's jacket. Not sure if they still do.
Hi.
you can see my post two pages before. Though my wife has hardly used for 2-3 times, she said was overall comfortable. In the buying stage, I did compare other offerings and found this VFM with better specs.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guide: Buying, shipping and customs for imported riding gear bik1906 Ride Safe 47 4th December 2017 18:05
The Riding Game Thread manson Motorbikes 21 17th September 2009 18:51
New Riding Sports Gear outlet in Mumbai devil_in_flesh Motorbikes 12 3rd April 2008 11:26
Single gear riding iamkapilb Street Experiences 5 31st August 2006 12:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks