Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2021, 23:18   #3751
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Hey guys. Need your help once again!

Any recommendations for riding jacket under 10k? Top priority is safety (liners for different weathers would be a cherry on top but definitely not a must).

I'm not very familiar on how to select one so seeking your guidance. Specific model/product name would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by The Brutailer : 4th August 2021 at 23:26.
The Brutailer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 01:15   #3752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post

Any recommendations for riding jacket under 10k? Top priority is safety (liners for different weathers would be a cherry on top but definitely not a must).

I'm not very familiar on how to select one so seeking your guidance. Specific model/product name would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Everybody has a different approach to Riding Jackets and a lot depends on riding conditions (weather mostly) and personal preferences.

Here is my take on it.
I stay in Delhi, which has predominantly hotter riding conditions. If this is going to be your only riding jacket, I would go for a summer jacket with no liners. This is something that I am doing currently. Having a simple summer jacket with no liners makes it airy and more importantly light and in some cases better fitting as it does not need to have additional zippers for liners. In winters, I wear a quetcha brand wind proof liner inside the jacket and some additional layers in cases needed and it works absolutely fine.

For riding jackets, my favorite is Revit. Their range starts at around 13K, but these jackets feel premium and they last. As with most European brands these days, there summer jackets don't come with a back protector, but this is something that you can upgrade later if you want.

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 01:40   #3753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Everybody has a different approach to Riding Jackets and a lot depends on riding conditions (weather mostly) and personal preferences.
Well, I live in Bangalore which has pleasant weather throught the year. But it does get a bit chilly in the winters when riding on a bike (which can easily be solved by your idea, thanks for that!)

Speaking of bikes, I ride a 390 so safety is paramount due to its aggressive nature. After having done some research, I'm leaning towards the Rynox Storm Evo Jacket (https://www.rynoxgears.com/collectio...39436178423875).

Thoughts? (Directed to the overall forum as well)

Last edited by The Brutailer : 5th August 2021 at 01:49.
Old 5th August 2021, 09:02   #3754
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The Brutailer, like your question on gloves, there is no right and wrong answer. Going through past discussions on this thread will help you decide. There are reviews and photos of almost all the jackets being sold in India today.

We have so many options for jackets these days, both from Indian and international manufacturers. The difference between the two is that the Indian brands will be lower priced and will usually give you level 2 armour. The trade off will be inconsistent quality control and not the best fit and finish, positioning of the armours etc. If you get a good piece, it will serve you well. If you get a bad piece, its stitching will tear, like the ones on my Rynox pant did, on the very first ride.

The international brands will be more expensive and will give you level 1 armour at a higher cost. And the ergonomics and placement of the armours will be impeccable. But its rare, and almost impossible to hear of international brands having serious quality issues with their products.

In my experience, you can always buy an A* jacket or a Revit jacket and upgrade the armour when you can afford it. That is what a lot of us do. But if you buy an Indian brand with poor stitching or improperly placed armours, there is nothing that you can do to improve it.

I recently resigned my 1.25 year old Rynox jacket because I realized that its armours dont sit right and wont fully protect me in case of a fall. I bought an entry level Revit instead, which is now available in Cochin. It cost more than double the Rynox but I dont regret it one bit. Its worth every rupee and I will be able to use it for a full 5 - 7 years, unlike the Rynox jacket which is collecting dust in my house.

Long story short, if your budget of Rs 10K is absolutely non flexible by even one rupee, then look at the DSG Evo 2 air and the Rynox jacket that you listed. They are solid options.

If you can wait a month or two and build your budget, then get a Revit jacket with your eyes closed. In the Rs 15K price range, the Revit jackets appear to be a step above their equivalents from A*.
neil.jericho is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 12:37   #3755
BHPian

Quote:
Any recommendations for riding jacket....Specific model/product name would be much appreciated
Ok, again since you asked let me take a crack at this and give you my two bits. Unfortunately no one can recommend any specific make and model. You have to try and see if it fits you and your budget. In no particular order let me share what pointers I look for when deciding on a riding jacket and for that matter riding pants.

Impact Protection
They say nothing beats a good airbag system. The external ones have been around for a while for eg: Helite and now all the big guns have started introducing their inner airbag systems for street and race use. One day I wish to own an airbag vest but for now they are very expensive and require periodic servicing and maintenance so they are out of the question for me.
Various brands use different "Inserts" some are propriety (brand specific) and some are generic (Knox,D3O ..etc) While they all have to adhere to CE standards they go about their own different ways. Some, like Revit's Seesmart armor are so thin and malleable that you dont feel like you are wearing anything at all! The standard inserts are Back,Shoulder, Elbow and Chest. Most brands dont give you all of them with the jacket and you have to upgrade from either foam or L1 inserts (For a long time I rode around with a foam back insert thinking I was protected). And not all Inserts are compatible with all jackets so you have to do your research there too.
However there is no use of getting the best Inserts if it does not protect the area it is supposed too. If its not held in place there is always a risk of it moving out of position if you take a tumble. So look for a jacket that has velcro or tabs to keep them in place.

For eg: Straps to keep the elbow armor in place
The Riding Gear thread-inked20210805_090947_li.jpg

I prefer the armor to sit as close as possible on my body so it doesnt move around and you dont feel like something heavy sitting on you. So I make do with this option https://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/pro-xv2-air-range. Has quite a few advantages. The suit acts as a base layer and I can pretty much wear this under any jacket so when looking for an outer layer I dont have to worry about the armor. Also in the city where the risk of a slide is minimal I can wear this under a sweatshirt and I wont look like an astronaut. Only downside is they are expensive but look at it as a one time investment.

Slide Protection
The order from most protective to least
  • Leather
  • Textile
  • Mesh
Nothing beats leather if you have the misfortune of sliding on the tarmac , its basically another layer of skin over yours. Textile is a good middle ground but again depends on the denier rating and how good the stitching can hold up. Mesh is a great option for our day time riding weather conditions however gives you the least protection in a slide. Manufacturers do give you some slide protection at the most common impact areas but again no crash is the same. Now there are some premium brands that give you some decent mesh options which might hold up during a slide but the budget offerings do what they say (let a ton of air through) and nothing more. I would only consider a mesh jacket for street use. Some jackets have external hard sliders at the shoulder and elbows to help in a slide, unintentional and intentional *wink wink

Comfort
There is no use buying the best protection only for it to be a pain during a ride. For our weather conditions (Im in Bengaluru too) Leather is the worst followed by Textile and then Mesh. Again Textile is the best middle ground but make sure it has enough inlet vents and exhaust vents, otherwise you will be fighting the wind with no proper ventilation. You also get hybrid options like leather+mesh etc so look around.

**Touring jacket for reference

The front vents need to work in tandem with the rear exhaust vents

The Riding Gear thread-inked20210805_104208_li.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-inked20210805_104128_li.jpg

Fit
You have a proper sports bike so to make your life easier on your rides your riding gear should fit accordingly. Jackets made for sports bikes have pre curved fitting to ensure you have one less thing to worry about on the bike. It might be uncomfortable off the bike (you may look like a hunched over alien) but once you get on the bike it will fit just right. You would also have to look out for stretch panels (Accordion panels) mostly at the shoulders, elbows and lower back. Might sound like a minor thing but in my case I have a very tender left elbow and during a ride if there is no stretch, the armor literally digs in causing shooting pain.
**Suit for reference only
Red outline are the stretch panels and blue are the exhaust perforation (vents)
The Riding Gear thread-inked20210805_121042_li.jpg

Colour
My riding buddies scoff when I say this, but I stick to it, the lighter the color the better overall. Yeah its a pain to clean and white will look like dirty khaki no matter how good your washing machine is but hey it reflects heat and makes you that much more visible to other road users (this is a good thing to avoid getting knocked over). Darker colors absorb heat. So I would prefer to look dirty on the outside if it helps me stay cooler even by 1 degree on the inside.

Reflectivity
Again another thing where most people prefer form over function. Dont get me wrong, most jackets have inbuilt reflectors that work brilliantly when the beam from a headlight hits it. What if it doesnt ? If you have spent considerable time on our highways you would have noticed the number of truck and car drivers who are busy on their cell phones and are blissfully unaware of you coming up behind them. I always look at the rear view mirror of the vehicle I am overtaking to see if they have noticed me and in most cases nothing matches a hi-viz jacket fluttering in the wind to grab someones attention. You will definitely look like a road worker or construction worker but Id rather be safe than trying to win a beauty contest. Right now I am using this over my riding gear but there are some elegant options out there on Amazon https://www.amazon.in/b/ref=dp_bc_aui_C_5?ie=UTF8&node=10290515031 etc
The Riding Gear thread-20210805_111514.jpg

Quote:
I live in Bangalore which has pleasant weather throught the year. But it does get a bit chilly in the winters
I am from the same city and this has been my experience so far. I ALWAYS start my ride between 4am and 6am irrespective of the season. I would prefer to face the brunt of a chilly morning for about 30 minutes than be on the road fully layered up when the sun is out and the slow cooking starts. You will be surprised how warm an 8am Sun can be. You do get an option of removable warm inner layers but considering you are on an RC390, once the sun comes up where will you store it ?

The Riding Gear thread-20210805_112314.jpg

Thats just an overhead I can do without. You would be better off wearing a moisture wicking base layer or a Tshirt (not if the sun is out)under the jacket. The only time I would use the inner layer is if I am going to a hill-station and I know its going to be cold all the time and I know I have a place to remove and store it if it gets too hot. This is where the Textile options shine. Will keep you warm in the morning and with the proper venting will keep you cool during the day time.
On the flip side I have used a full leather race suit on a couple of highway runs and a couple of track days in the peak sun and if you have the right base layer and are properly hydrated it does not become unbearable but yeah this is not taking stop go traffic into account. If you are going to be constantly on the move you should be ok.
One more factor to consider is acclimatization. If you know you are going on a long ride and will be riding mostly during the day, spend the prior week walking around in the sun and dont use air conditioning. You will be surprised how easily you adapt.

Now regarding your query on this option
Quote:
, I'm leaning towards the Rynox Storm Evo Jacket (https://www.rynoxgears.com/collectio...39436178423875).
Looks like a very good option on paper and I briefly considered this but they pulled the plug on the white jacket so I didn't buy it. The only thing I didnt like about it was the armor weighed a ton!

Happy shopping!

P.S My observations are purely for tarmac riding, there are different things to look for when going off the beaten path

Last edited by deepfreak15 : 5th August 2021 at 12:45.
deepfreak15 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 10:16   #3756
BHPian

Just came across this video from FortNine about helmet buckles. In my limited experience, I have never seen a double D ring helmet buckle.

I believe most of us have the ratchet thingy on our helmets. Does anyone know if the double D ring is even available in our common brands?
Old 11th August 2021, 10:56   #3757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Just came across this video from FortNine about helmet buckles. In my limited experience, I have never seen a double D ring helmet buckle.

https://Youtu.be/3KUdmwmhyxM

I believe most of us have the ratchet thingy on our helmets. Does anyone know if the double D ring is even available in our common brands?
Thanks for sharing the video. I think there are a number of helmets that come with double D rings. I had bought an MT helmet (Revenge Binomy) a couple of years back and it had double D rings. And recently I bought a Shaft Pro helmet and that too came with double D rings.

In fact after getting used to double D rings, I really liked it and did not want to buy a helmet without double D rings.

Last edited by pjbiju : 11th August 2021 at 10:57.
Old 11th August 2021, 12:13   #3758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post

https://Youtu.be/3KUdmwmhyxM

The Axor helmets comes with double D rings too. And, these helmets seems to be the only ones providing pinlock and double D rings at a price point of 4k.
girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 13:00   #3759
BHPian

Since I can't seem to buy a Royal Enfield motorcycle for money or love, decided to splurge and picked up this Royal Enfield jersey instead

The reason for buying this was that on the Xpulse while off-roading, even with the well-ventilated Rev'it jacket, the heat was just too much. On a recent weekend I rode the bike up a hill until the trail lasted, then trekked to the top, back down, and rode the bike down again. By the downhill stretch I was close to fainting due to the heat.

The Riding Gear thread-screenshot_20210812123248.jpg

The jersey is very light and stretchy, so offers no abrasion resistance at all. The material is similar to what you'd find in a compression shirt for running. This is obviously a huge compromise against safety for comfort, but there is one redeeming feature.

The Riding Gear thread-img_20210812_121948.jpg

This jersey, unlike most others I found online, comes with armor pockets. The pockets are roughly 22 cm long by 14 cm wide, both shoulder and elbow. I had Rev'it level 1 armors lying around, so shoved them in there, they just about fit. The shoulder section sits quite well, but the elbow guard dances about quite a lot, which is expected due to the stretchy material of the jersey. There is no back protector pocket, the material would simply not be able to hold the weight.

Overall, for 1800 bucks, there's nothing to complain about. Compared to a jacket this is very unsafe, but the comfort is obviously on a whole other level, especially when pushing and pulling the bike about while you're stuck in deep sand.

I am looking for a standalone back protector to use with this one, any suggestions would be most welcome.
RiderZone is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 13:06   #3760
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post

The jersey is very light and stretchy, so offers no abrasion resistance at all. The material is similar to what you'd find in a compression shirt for running. This is obviously a huge compromise against safety for comfort, but there is one redeeming feature.
Return it and get something like this which offers reasonable slide protection if you intend to wear stand alone armour: https://www.klim.com/Tactical-Pro-Je...tity=1&color=9

Or get something like this which comes with armour: https://www.planet-knox.com/product/...ity-mk2-camel/

Option 1 - if you are doing really proper hard off-road where plastic protection is important.

Option 2 - if you are doing soft off-road/exploration and just need soft armour impact protection.

Nothing beats options at Leatt for plastic armour protection.

I have Option 1 + Leatt plastic armour. Sadly, I am no longer doing any kind of "trail rides". I wonder if I should just sell them off.

Last edited by Red Liner : 12th August 2021 at 13:07.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 10:36   #3761
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
Overall, for 1800 bucks, there's nothing to complain about. Compared to a jacket this is very unsafe, but the comfort is obviously on a whole other level, especially when pushing and pulling the bike about while you're stuck in deep sand.

I am looking for a standalone back protector to use with this one, any suggestions would be most welcome.
This is a pretty sensible purchase for your use case! Let us know how it feels to ride with. For back protection, we used to get those strap on spine protectors from Alpinestars but I dont think they are being imported right now. I did a quick check for Indian vendors and saw that BBG has something along similar lines. I havent seen or used the BBG version and I dont know how good or not good it is. Let me ask around on this, its an interesting question that you have raised.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 11:32   #3762
BHPian

I am using Alpinestars Nucleon KR-1(level 2) standalone back protector currently. It is very comfortable to wear over long distance because it is light and due to the perforations, flows a ton of air too. Its straps can be adjusted for tightness and height(hips). Have used it on both racetrack and road and found it comfortable on both occasions. Do check it out.
A small issue i have is with the thickness. If you wear race fit leathers or tight jacket,things can become a bit difficult. I purchased it from FCMOTO for 13.5K (including shipping and customs duty)
Thamps is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 22:57   #3763
Distinguished - BHPian

Rev'it! Eclipse Mesh Jacket : Owner Review

Ive owned a variety of jackets over the years and when it came time to replace my old A* mesh jacket in 2020, I struggled to find a good jacket that fit me, even with a budget of Rs 30K. I finally zeroed in on the Rynox Air GT3 because it fit me well (or so I thought) and the best part was that it gave me level 2 armour all round at around Rs 7K. Win - win, right?

Unfortunately, the more I rode with it, the more I began to dislike the Rynox jacket. For one, my experience with their pants was poor. The stitches gave way on the very first ride. Later, I went to try out their gloves and all 3 pairs I tried, had different fits for the left and right hand. Also, the back armour of the Air GT3 sat a little too high on the jacket and this left the lower part of the spine exposed. The construction of the jacket was such that, if I pushed the armour with my hand, it would dance around like the Bee Gees. All the best armour in the world, wont save you if the jacket is poorly designed and wont be where you need it to be, in the unfortunate case of an accident. This was a jacket that was far below the sum of its parts. I decided to retire the Rynox jacket, put down the Rs 7K as an expensive lesson learnt and began to hunt for a new jacket in earnest.

Sadly, with the Covid lockdowns and supply chain issues, options were restricted. I was leaning towards Royal Enfield's mesh jackets but I wasnt as impressed by them, as I was by their textile jackets. My search ended when AutoQueen in Cochin, finally stocked up the Rev'it! Eclipse mesh jacket. I absolutely loved the quality and the fit. I almost picked it up immediately but decided to do some research on it first. After watching all the reviews, I knew that this was the right jacket for me. I wont bore you with the details (available here) but my only confusion was which colour to pick. It comes in black, blue, brown or dark green and all of them looked good.

The back protector is an optional extra but I strongly recommend that you get it as well. It is the Seesoft back protector and is really long.

What do I think about it after using it for a few hundred kilometers? I just love it. The fit and finish is impeccable. The ventilation is fabulous. The armour sits well. I have absolutely no complaints at all. This just works. In short, this is a well engineered jacket. If you can afford to stretch your budget to around Rs 15K, there is no comparison between the Indian brands and a properly engineered (albeit entry level) jacket from a proven player like Rev'it. Ive been using A* products for over a decade but I have to admit that the quality of their jackets below Rs 20K, has gone down. I tried every available A* jacket below Rs 25K and didnt like any of them. At a Rs 15 to 20K price range, Rev'it is the brand to beat. Above that, I cant say for certain, since I havent tried out the more expensive Rev'it jackets and options from Klim etc.

Overall, I would rate this a solid 9.75 out of 10. Why not 10 on 10? There are some signs of early wear which should not be happening on what is an otherwise excellent jacket. Im probably nitpicking. I have posted some pictures below, I'll leave it to you to decide.

The Riding Gear thread-p9010607-large.jpg
Overview of the jacket

The Riding Gear thread-p9010608-large.jpg
Large pocket

The Riding Gear thread-p9010609-large.jpg
Chunky side zip can be opened even if you are wearing gloves

The Riding Gear thread-p9010610-large.jpg
Aah mesh! More mesh means more airflow. No chest protector though.

The Riding Gear thread-p9010611-large.jpg
A lot of air flows into your arms. Very good for keeping your armpits sweat free.

The Riding Gear thread-p9010612-large.jpg
Strong velcro.

The Riding Gear thread-p9010615-large.jpg
But some loose stitches can be seen. This is because of my full gauntlet gloves.

The Riding Gear thread-p9010616-large.jpg
Rev'it logo on the left side only.

The Riding Gear thread-p9010617-large.jpg
Big wrap around velcro strap by the waist. Several of the newer A* jackets have short velcro straps, which is a poor choice, really.

The Riding Gear thread-p9010620-large.jpg
Chunky zip at the front. Easy to use with gloves.

The Riding Gear thread-p9010622-large.jpg
Nice, easy to use button up system. I leave it open.

The Riding Gear thread-p9010623-large.jpg
Armour runs nearly all the way along the back. Excellent!

The Riding Gear thread-p9010624-large.jpg
Hooks to connect to riding pants. Never used. Probably never will be used.

The Riding Gear thread-p9010625-large.jpg
Pocket on the right side. Never used.

The Riding Gear thread-p9010626-large.jpg
Can see the shoulder protector here.

The Riding Gear thread-p9010628-large.jpg
View from the back. The part down the middle will provide further abrasion resistance in case of a fall. Smart design!

The Riding Gear thread-p9010619-large.jpg
IIRC this is reflective.

The Riding Gear thread-p9010629-large.jpg
Mesh for better air circulation out the back.

The Riding Gear thread-p9010630-large.jpg
Less sweaty armpits.

The Riding Gear thread-p9010631-large.jpg
Elbow protectors are well designed.

The Riding Gear thread-p9010632-large.jpg
Some early wear and tear due to my full gauntlet gloves.

The Riding Gear thread-p9010633-large.jpg
The odd loose stitching is not expected.

The Riding Gear thread-p9010634-large.jpg
Back view of the waist strap.

The Riding Gear thread-p9010635-large.jpg
Reflective logo
neil.jericho is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 23:07   #3764
Distinguished - BHPian

Completely agree with you Neel on Rev'It it's a very good jacket. The quality is very nice, and the armor is also much more comfortable and lighter then the Dainese Level 1 back protector. I really like wearing it too, specially if it is hot, as Dainese D Dry feels a little more warmer. The only problem is that I got it in Green color when I had Ninja, and now none of my bike is green, so kind of looks a bit odd. Not that I am going for a fashion show, but just generally.

Looking at options if I can somehow convert the Green to Red or Black, not sure if Fabric colors will stay.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 23:15   #3765
BHPian

Re: Rev'it! Eclipse Mesh Jacket : Owner Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
My search ended when AutoQueen in Cochin, finally stocked up the Rev'it! Eclipse mesh jacket. I absolutely loved the quality and the fit.
The Eclipse is a lovely piece of kit, the one in brown was my first choice, but for some reason I was hung on chest protectors at that time, so picked up the Airwave 3. Rev'it fit and finish is a class apart, even among international brands, and priced extremely well compared to A*/Dainese. Like you said, it's a highly recommend purchase, and great thing is that Highnote officially imports it, so you don't have to beg foreign friends to carry one
RiderZone is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks