Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2021, 21:02   #3856
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
Is there any form of protective gear that can have a higher rate of adoption by the riders (or at least those who use helmets)? I came across some vests that can be worn under the shirt, and even some shirts/hoodies that have inbuilt protection. Are such gear practical and comfortable for daily use?
Mass market, affordable airbag systems."Affordable" being the operative word.
deepfreak15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 21:05   #3857
BHPian

Good question mate, I am not aware of any gear that's both safe and convenient to use, in my experience you can only choose one and compromise on the other.

There are armored shirts and hoodies available, but i think you only get space for elbow/shoulder protectors in there. There's no back protector option because they are usually heavy, and the structure of the shirt/hoodie is just not stiff enough to hold the weight. I have a very lightweight jersey with shoulder and elbow protectors only, and it's still not something that's comfortable to go out and have dinner in.

The protective vests, this would probably be the lightest/least intrusive example, but it is still a substantial piece of kit. You can't, for example, wear this under your office shirt and have a normal IT day of meetings and work I think. It would certainly be more convenient to wear a regular moto jacket over your office shirt, and take it off after you get to your desk.

Protection = Heavy fabric and armors = Sweat and elbows that don't bend = Not comfy
RiderZone is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 13:15   #3858
BHPian

With the winter coming here up north, I wanted to buy some leather gear to feel a bit more cozy compared to my mesh gear. Got the following items a couple of days ago, with some initial impressions after short test rides.

1. Shima XRS-2 gloves, size XL:

My Five Stunt Evo Airflow gloves are great all round, but not when you need your fingers to stay warm. Bought these gloves because the price seemed reasonable, and they were not full gauntlets. I will buy some full gauntlet leather gloves in the future, but for now I thought these would be a good compromise. Safer than mesh gloves, but more comfortable than full gauntlets too.

The Riding Gear thread-shima-xrs2.jpeg

Initial impression is that it's a well-made product, thick and beefy. The knuckle guard has a good chonk to it. Although the leather is perforated a bit, I don't expect there to be any useful airflow, which is good for my requirement. There's a palm slider, and patches on the first fingers to work with mobile screens. Took a small test ride yesterday and they worked well. I will try and wear them under the jacket next time, might work even better that way.

The Riding Gear thread-xrs-2-knuckle.jpeg

2. Royal Enfield Spirit jacket, size S:

Neil has already comprehensively covered his jacket in this post (Buying a Royal Enfield Leather Jacket | Review & Pictures). Since he is the one who made me aware of its existence, I naturally bugged him for sizing, pricing, and armor info. Ordered off Amazon, price was 12000, discounted to 10,800, and I got an additional 1000 bucks off with HDFC card.

The Riding Gear thread-royal-enfield-spirit-front.jpeg

Only things I have to add over Neil's post are:

1. The side pockets are not zippered, nor is there any button or something to secure stuff that's in there. Not a big deal, but strange.

2. The shoulder and elbow armor pockets are kinda small. My Alpinestars Nucleon armors didn't fit in either place, for the elbows they were workable but I couldn't close the velcro on top, but for the shoulders it was no bueno. Stole some smaller Safe Tech elbow armors off a friend, and jammed in the Rev'it armors in the shoulders, the velcro still doesn't close.

The Riding Gear thread-royal-enfield-spirit-protector.jpeg

3. The back protector pocket is good sized, my Dainese back protector is a bit small for it, but will make it work for now.

The Riding Gear thread-royal-enfield-spirit-rear.jpeg

4. Even though the jacket has some perforations, and the internal liner is mesh, I could not feel any airflow at all in the short ride I took. This is good for my requirement, but this is a winter only jacket.

Overall, it's a good, solid jacket, especially for the price. It's obviously much stiffer than my mesh jacket, and that will take some getting used to. I was surprised that it's made in India, most budget leather stuff comes straight from Pakistan in my experience.

The Riding Gear thread-spirit-mii.jpeg

Last edited by RiderZone : 13th October 2021 at 13:16.
RiderZone is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 18:19   #3859
BHPian

Hello,

After finalizing the bike(CB500X), I started searching for a good riding gear and this been a bigger challenge than deciding the bike to buy.

I am 5'6" and have recently lost ~22kgs and weigh around 54kg now(I know I have lost a bit but there is a reason for this and a process that I am followig). I have tried all possible options: Rynox, Solace, Revit, Tarmac(loose), Alpinestars(very long sleeves for me), Dainese, Furygan, RS Taichi and RE.
I want something that is comfortable for ultra long rides and has provides good protection as well(I don't prefer mesh because its not the best when it comes to protection. Although it seems perfect for hot Indian conditions).

RS Taichi mesh jacket(small) and Dainese(size:44) fit me very well and are comfortable as well. I think my size is XS since the Dainese 44 fit me very well and the armours were at the right spots without having to adjust their position.
The Riding Gear thread-img20210922wa0012.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-img20210922wa0019.jpg

There are 2 more options available: Shima and Viaterra(not available in any store and is a mesh jacket). I believe Shima small is 46-48 and might be loose as well. I will hopefully get a chance to try this next week.

Taichi small touring or leather jackets are not available in stores. Seems Taichi only makes Medium size touring jackets now and the store in Bangalore does not want to order the leather small jacket.

This leaves me with Dainese as the only option for me and I am writing this post to see if there are other options to consider.(I don't think there is much)

I have similar issues while trying riding pants and gloves. Lack of options in helmets are a problem again. My helmet size is small but the cheek padding has to be XS. Only MT Revenge2 small seems to fit me well but I was searching for more premium helmets. :(

And then there are boots that I want too. Nobody has Alpinestars size 39 in stock. I will have to wait for this as well.

Btw if you are curious:
2019 74 kg:
The Riding Gear thread-img20190127wa0025.jpg

2021 54kg:
The Riding Gear thread-mvimg_20210222_093544__01.jpg
I am deliberately not sharing the 52kg pic.
dkar228 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 20:33   #3860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
With the winter coming here up north, I wanted to buy some leather gear to feel a bit more cozy compared to my mesh gear. Got the following items a couple of days ago, with some initial impressions after short test rides.
Congrats on the new gear!
I came very close to ordering these last month. Spoke to Kaustubh at GT House and he advised this might not work at all within the city (Bangalore) as they have close to no ventilation & that this would be good for touring/track. This would be good in the colder weather for you!
P72NX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 19:15   #3861
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I have a purely academic question for the experienced riders here.

To give a background first: I do not ride (I must have ridden about 200km in my entire life ). However, I am indirectly linked to the plight of riders. I study road accidents in India. Overall, in the hundreds of two-wheeler crashes that I have looked at, there are very few crashes that involve the usage of helmets by the riders. Even in crashes where the riders have used the helmets, many of these riders have sustained serious/fatal injuries to the thorax (rib fractures), abdomen (liver lacerations), and back (spinal injuries).

My question mainly pertains to the helmeted riders that have sustained injuries to other body parts. I have gone through this thread and saw that jackets are recommended to most riders. These jackets have reasonable chest and back protection that may help in reducing the injuries that I usually observe. However, I am assuming that due to their inconvenience (price?), jackets are not used by most riders. Even most users who buy jackets, use the jackets only for long-distance rides (many of my friends also do the same).

So, my question is this: Is there any form of protective gear that can have a higher rate of adoption by the riders (or at least those who use helmets)? I came across some vests that can be worn under the shirt, and even some shirts/hoodies that have inbuilt protection. Are such gear practical and comfortable for daily use?
The closest thing that can be easily adopted is a hoodie with option of protection inserts that can take armour. This is somewhat common abroad. If its stylish and can be worn to work / college, the adoption rate would be fair and it would be practical for daily usage.

Given our varied conditions though, there isnt a one size fits all solution.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 23:49   #3862
BHPian

Quote:
Good question mate, I am not aware of any gear that's both safe and convenient to use, in my experience you can only choose one and compromise on the other.

There are armored shirts and hoodies available, but i think you only get space for elbow/shoulder protectors in there. There's no back protector option because they are usually heavy, and the structure of the shirt/hoodie is just not stiff enough to hold the weight. I have a very lightweight jersey with shoulder and elbow protectors only, and it's still not something that's comfortable to go out and have dinner in.

The protective vests, this would probably be the lightest/least intrusive example, but it is still a substantial piece of kit. You can't, for example, wear this under your office shirt and have a normal IT day of meetings and work I think. It would certainly be more convenient to wear a regular moto jacket over your office shirt, and take it off after you get to your desk.

Protection = Heavy fabric and armors = Sweat and elbows that don't bend = Not comfy
How convenient/inconvenient is it to carry a jacket along with a helmet when you go about your daily tasks. Carrying a lot of equipment does sound serious and it might reduce the likelihood of compliance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
The closest thing that can be easily adopted is a hoodie with option of protection inserts that can take armour. This is somewhat common abroad. If its stylish and can be worn to work / college, the adoption rate would be fair and it would be practical for daily usage.

Given our varied conditions though, there isnt a one size fits all solution.
This option does seem doable. Can you share any link to view apparel like these?
Rohan265 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 01:06   #3863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I study road accidents in India. Overall, in the hundreds of two-wheeler crashes that I have looked at, there are very few crashes that involve the usage of helmets by the riders. Even in crashes where the riders have used the helmets, many of these riders have sustained serious/fatal injuries to the thorax (rib fractures), abdomen (liver lacerations), and back (spinal injuries).

Is there any form of protective gear that can have a higher rate of adoption by the riders (or at least those who use helmets).
Would love to hear about some stats and your analysis on types of injury, demographics info etc if at all possible. Deserves a Separate thread of it's own imo

I'm a bit surprised to hear about the fatalities owing to thorax md abdomen wounds. Are they very common or just outliers? I can imagine taking a handlebar to the gut and getting impaled. What about the injuries to the rib cage? Is it possible that those injuries were a result of a (heavy?) Vehicle mowing down th victim after they've fallen? In such case, all armour, jacket, whatever will do diddly to help save a person

My attitude towards riding gear is simple- wear something that fits and vents well. This usually translates to comfort on the bike and makes you reach out for your gear each time you ride. Alas many in our hot, humid, tropical country insist on buying waterproof crap (that usually stays locked away) coz they are all world tourers apparently
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 10:28   #3864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How convenient/inconvenient is it to carry a jacket along with a helmet when you go about your daily tasks. Carrying a lot of equipment does sound serious and it might reduce the likelihood of compliance.
Some riders prefer to wear the jacket and walk around, others like to carry it. Its just a matter of deciding whether you want to wear a jacket or not while riding. Everything else will then fall into place and wont be viewed as an inconvenience.

Coming back to your original question, it all comes down to the perception of safety and risk. Like you said, many riders want to wear jackets only on long rides. Others wear it all the time.

Quote:
This option does seem doable. Can you share any link to view apparel like these?
Here is a Revzilla link to such riding gear.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 22:17   #3865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Would love to hear about some stats and your analysis on types of injury, demographics info etc if at all possible. Deserves a Separate thread of it's own imo
Unfortunately, since I don't own the data I work on, I cannot share the actual stats and analysis. I can share some of the observations though.

The types of injuries and demographic of injured riders are more or less what most expect..riders between the age of 18-40 sustaining serious/fatal injuries to the head due to a lack of helmet usage. An intriguing observation I have made is that fatalities due to head injuries are quite common even at lower speeds (20-30kph). That is why it is recommended to wear a helmet no matter how short the journey is. Fractures to the arms and legs are also fairly common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
I'm a bit surprised to hear about the fatalities owing to thorax md abdomen wounds. Are they very common or just outliers? I can imagine taking a handlebar to the gut and getting impaled. What about the injuries to the rib cage? Is it possible that those injuries were a result of a (heavy?) Vehicle mowing down th victim after they've fallen? In such case, all armour, jacket, whatever will do diddly to help save a person
You are correct that in the case of a heavy vehicle running over a rider, helmets and armor don't amount to much. However, the thorax, spine, and abdomen injuries I referred to are usually caused in scenarios either where a rider falling on the colliding car due to an impact from the sides/rear, or if the rider falls of the vehicle and collides with a stray object on the road such as a rock/footpath curb. The ribs and abdomen are not as strong as the skull and can be easily injured even in low-speed impacts. Helmeted riders also have the rare additional risk of injuries due to a spine extension purely due to the weight of the helmets. Such injuries to the thorax/abdomen/spine are not as commonly fatal as those with the head. However, the riders end up having long-term effects such as a flail chest or paraplegia.

P.S: I have also come across injuries to the groin due to an impact with the fuel tank. I had read somewhere that there are armored underpants for riders to protect their groins. But, I am not sure if anybody wears them.
Rohan265 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 14:10   #3866

Hello Everyone, New member but been riding bikes for the past 10 years. Need some help for buying Riding gear for my interceptor. I'm planning a ride from Aurangabad to Goa after diwali and have been steadily purchasing stuff.
1. Helmet: I have a MT helmet Stinger I got from MT helmets official store for 15%discount.
2. Gloves: Wanted to go full gauntlet but given most of the rides in the near future are going to be short I went RE Vamos short cuff gloves. I'll get full gauntlets once I start touring frequently. I got additional 10% off from amazon which I felt was a good deal.
3. Riding Pants: Need to decide, I'll mostly go with Rynox but I'm vain and care about the looks. I'd prefer all black pants to go with the classic look of my bike. In that regards the RE Tso Kar looks good, and if i'm not wrong I can get 20% discount from RE store if my purchase crosses 20k which Might happen.
4. Shoes: The most confusing part. I need to get shoes which I can hold on for 5 10 years so budget isn't an issue. I have thought about getting RE TCX stelvio one's but the Waterproofing part is what I'm not sure about. I'll mostly be riding in Hot temperatures so I don't feel the need for waterproofing. Ideally I would want a fully ventilated shoes but again given that TCX boots are best in the line I'm confused. Also Can I get the store discount here ? If yes It'd be a no brainer as I'll get 20% off
5. Jacket: I already own a RE Explorer v3. I just need to get back armor, RE has some in store but I'm looking for somewhere I can get it for cheaper.
Old 27th October 2021, 19:15   #3867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanahanin View Post
3. Riding Pants: Need to decide, I'll mostly go with Rynox but I'm vain and care about the looks. I'd prefer all black pants to go with the classic look of my bike. In that regards the RE Tso Kar looks good, and if i'm not wrong I can get 20% discount from RE store if my purchase crosses 20k which Might happen.
4. Shoes: The most confusing part. I need to get shoes which I can hold on for 5 10 years so budget isn't an issue. I have thought about getting RE TCX stelvio one's but the Waterproofing part is what I'm not sure about. I'll mostly be riding in Hot temperatures so I don't feel the need for waterproofing. Ideally I would want a fully ventilated shoes but again given that TCX boots are best in the line I'm confused. Also Can I get the store discount here ? If yes It'd be a no brainer as I'll get 20% off.
About riding pants, a different opinion, ever since I've switched to riding jeans I don't think I'll go back. They look better, can be worn to office or dinner, and a good fit is usually much easier to achieve because they are basically just a pair of jeans. Not only is the sizing pretty straightforward, unlike most riding pants you have space for a belt. I am using the Bull-it Icon/Tactical for a while, love it, level 2 armors in hip and knees. Check out the Bikeratti jeans, they are excellent too.

About boots, like we have discussed a few times on this thread, there are no good options available in India for well ventilated boots. If you are able to source from EU/US, you have plenty of options there, if not then the RE TCX Stelvio is a great option for the price. I am unaware of any store discount however.
RiderZone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 20:26   #3868
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
About riding pants, a different opinion, ever since I've switched to riding jeans I don't think I'll go back. They look better, can be worn to office or dinner, and a good fit is usually much easier to achieve because they are basically just a pair of jeans.
Couldn't agree more, for small and medium rides even I have switched to Jeans, I have a pair of solace jeans and they are pretty good. Will get one more pair in black.

It's been sometime my Riding pants were taken out as I have been not touring, but Jeans are just definitely way much more comfortable.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 07:38   #3869

Thank you everyone, turns out the RE stores do have in store discounts. Got 15% off plus 2 duffel bags free. Went ahead and booked the Tso kar trousers and RE TCX Stelvio boots at my local dealer. Saved roughly 4500 which is not bad and after discount it brings down the price to Rynox and solace levels. I don’t think many people know about the RE in store discounts, makes the gear an excellent choice.
kanahanin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 11:15   #3870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanahanin View Post
Thank you everyone, turns out the RE stores do have in store discounts. Got 15% off plus 2 duffel bags free.
Nice! Could you tell me the conditions for this discount? Minimum order or something?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks