Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2021, 12:22   #3826
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Formals 6 days a week sir.
Oh wow. It seems like ages since I've had to wear formals to office. To be honest, sometimes I miss dressing smartly for work every day.

Quote:
Thanks for recommendation on fit. I am a 34 waist. So i think i should be going with size LG based on the sizing sheet.
Just to clarity, my comment on the sizing were for the Bikeratti riding jeans. I have no idea about the sizing for the overpants.

Last edited by JoeTheWanderer : 29th September 2021 at 12:23. Reason: spelling
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 13:22   #3827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Riding jeans ruled out for this reason and the weather proof element. I needed one for rain or shine. I tried other riding pants with rain lining, but none in Spartan were suitable to be worn over pants
Any reason why you can't carry a pair of office pants in a backpack / tail bag and just change in the office washroom? As for waterproofing, simply pick a WP overpant from decathlon

What about shoes? You riding in office shoes or carry a pair separately?
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 14:08   #3828
BHPian

Recently got myself a new ride (G310R) and looking for a good riding jacket for weekend rides (occasional touring). This would be my first-time into riding gears. Tried the following and need your suggestions to make the right choice. Budget is ~10k (a bit here and there is OK)

1. Rev-it Eclipse Mesh Jacket - fits me well - has L1 on elbows and shoulders - 13k+
2. RS-Taichi Crossover Mesh jacket - fits me fine - has L2 on elbows and shoulders -lightweight and soft - shoulder armours seem to slide away a bit (may need some velcro adjustments) - ~15k
3. Rynox Tornado Pro V4 Jacket - fits me well - has L2 on elbows, shoulders, back and L1 for chest - a bit heavy - ~8k

#3 seems very good VFM. Im not sure about the quality and ventilation of this jacket.

#2 seems like a good urban jacket with L2 armours. Im not sure whether velcro adjustment for shoulder armours stays fine or not. Is it worth ~15k?

#1 seems to be of better quality, but has L1 armours. Should this matter much L1 vs L2 for my riding?

Any experiences? Thanx a lot.
mkc15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 14:15   #3829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarka View Post
Thanks a lot!
Since I will have to buy online, how is their sizing? Is it similar to other casual/ formal shoes that we get in market? Or they run slightly bigger/ smaller?
Usually riding boots are sized +1 from your casual/formal shoes. But in my case, I usually go with the EU size. My EU size for casual shoes is 42, so riding boots with EU 42 fit me perfectly. Others might have their own size guide while buying online.
TheVaas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 14:17   #3830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Any reason why you can't carry a pair of office pants in a backpack / tail bag and just change in the office washroom?

What about shoes? You riding in office shoes or carry a pair separately?
Honestly. I work in a manufacturing plant. My OCD self is not satisfied with conditions in the washrooms here to instill confidence in changing up. For shoes i ride with my normal office shoes and do not have separate riding shoes.
Old 29th September 2021, 14:46   #3831

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaas View Post
Usually riding boots are sized +1 from your casual/formal shoes. But in my case, I usually go with the EU size. My EU size for casual shoes is 42, so riding boots with EU 42 fit me perfectly. Others might have their own size guide while buying online.
Thanks. I have pulled the trigger on the black ones (suits my jacket and pants more). Hoping the size is right and the quality is good. V excited. Will update once I get them.
Aarka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 05:10   #3832
BHPian

Rohit, let me recommend you this - at the risk of being smacked in face - please get yourself a second hand hatchback. Take this from a die hard bike person. It's just not worth all the hassle. I learnt it first hand over a period of seven years. The extra investment will get more than paid for in the long run.

Cheers,
Sayan
Sayan15 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 11:06   #3833
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
Recently got myself a new ride (G310R) and looking for a good riding jacket for weekend rides (occasional touring). This would be my first-time into riding gears. Tried the following and need your suggestions to make the right choice. Budget is ~10k (a bit here and there is OK)

1. Rev-it Eclipse Mesh Jacket - fits me well - has L1 on elbows and shoulders - 13k+
2. RS-Taichi Crossover Mesh jacket - fits me fine - has L2 on elbows and shoulders -lightweight and soft - shoulder armours seem to slide away a bit (may need some velcro adjustments) - ~15k
3. Rynox Tornado Pro V4 Jacket - fits me well - has L2 on elbows, shoulders, back and L1 for chest - a bit heavy - ~8k.
mkc15, there is one more jacket that you can consider before you make a decision. Thanks to TBHPian theexperthand, I got to know that Highlander (HSR Layout) stocks Shima jackets. Why dont you try that out as well, the model which he shared seems to be quite versatile, has L2 armour and costs Rs 14K.

Between the options that you listed, I dont have any experience with the RST jacket but between Revit and Rynox, go for the Revit with your eyes closed. The quality, fit and finish, engineering and design is leagues apart. You can always upgrade the L1 armour to L2 later. But you cant re-engineer a not perfectly engineered jacket. This is based on my experience of owning a Rynox jacket for 18 months and dumping it, after which I bought the Revit Eclipse jacket.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 12:48   #3834

Thanks @thevaas, @sayan and @Rider Zone

Got my Tarmac Adv Pro boots today. Happy with the size and quality. Loved the brown but go the black because it goes better with other gears. Here are some pics.

Any thoughts of best way to break them in?

Walking around the house?

Going for a ride?

Some people are advising to soak them in water and what not
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-whatsapp-image-20211005-11.50.00-3.jpeg  

The Riding Gear thread-whatsapp-image-20211005-11.50.00-2.jpeg  

The Riding Gear thread-whatsapp-image-20211005-11.50.00-1.jpeg  

The Riding Gear thread-whatsapp-image-20211005-11.50.00.jpeg  

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th October 2021 at 13:00. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Aarka is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 13:26   #3835
BHPian

Quote:
Got my Tarmac Adv Pro boots today. Happy with the size and quality.

Any thoughts of best way to break them in?
Nice! Do let us know how they work out long term.

I have never bothered to do any specific break-in to my boots, or any other gear, or motorcycles for that matter. My suggestion would be to just ride
RiderZone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 13:29   #3836

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
Nice! Do let us know how they work out long term.

I have never bothered to do any specific break-in to my boots, or any other gear, or motorcycles for that matter. My suggestion would be to just ride
Definitely. Going to Zanskar Valley this Saturday. Will put them to good test there and let you guys know once I am back.
Aarka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 18:11   #3837
BHPian

Quote:
Definitely. Going to Zanskar Valley this Saturday. Will put them to good test there and let you guys know once I am back.
Do you have enough room to wiggle your toes? Seems pretty tight at the calf area, do try with your riding pants. It is said to climb up stairs with a new pair only to crease and flex as per your feet. Don't expect too much to expand!

Do go for a ride with them and feel your bike controls and check if you need to adjust the brake or gear foot controls as per the new boots.

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 18:43   #3838

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Do you have enough room to wiggle your toes? Seems pretty tight at the calf area, do try with your riding pants. It is said to climb up stairs with a new pair only to crease and flex as per your feet. Don't expect too much to expand!

Do go for a ride with them and feel your bike controls and check if you need to adjust the brake or gear foot controls as per the new boots.
Wiggle my toes? Just enough - Basically my feet are a little wide at the toe area. This happens in all shoes - need to compromise a little in the toe area. But in these boots, they aren't touching the front tip of the boot, so size seems ok.

Calf area - I think I have overtightened it. There is a lot of room for loosing it out. (I am at around 30% loosening in the picture). While riding, I thought I should keem them on the tight-ish setting to ensure maximum protection. Make sense?

Is the riding pant supposed to go inside them?

I have been wearing them for over 4 hrs now (in intervals) and they're increasingly becoming comfortable. But yeah will go riding in the night and several other times before Saturday.

Let me do some stair walking then!

Thanks a lot, Sir
Aarka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 20:25   #3839
BHPian

Quote:
While riding, I thought I should keem them on the tight-ish setting to ensure maximum protection. Make sense?

Is the riding pant supposed to go inside them?
It has to be comfortable also, make sure there's enough room for blood circulation. After a full day's riding the feet tend to swell a bit!

In or Out depends on what you want to clean first? Over the boots keeps your boots upper clean and pants dirty but consider the following scenario:
Wet/Mud/Slush/Rains
- Pants in boots
- Rain pants over pants and boots

By any means if you get your pants dirty (over the boot) and then you want to put them inside the boots then your boots will also get soiled from inside!

Well I just imagined all these, seems inside the boots is a better option and you get to show off your new acquisition too
surjaonwheelz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 09:48   #3840
BHPian

Quote:
Got my Tarmac Adv Pro boots today. Happy with the size and quality.
Congrats on the purchase!

I have been looking to get a new pair of boots and have shortlisted the Tarmac Adventure Pro.

Could you let me know where did you purchase them from? If you purchased them from an online store - how did the sizing work? Did you get your regular shoe size or one size up?

Thanks!
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks