Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2021, 10:32   #3781
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Thank you guys for your inputs. We have now decided to go for the Falco Avantour 2 since that offers the most protection (Rs. 23950). Do you think it is a good choice? Could not find any equivalent model from Alpinestars or Gaerne etc. in size 43 in stock anywhere in that type. Yes, boots are really expensive. Since we really cannot put a price on our health, we should try to get the best protection we can afford and there are a good number of examples from people like you in doing that.
Even I too have heard excellent feedback on Falco boots. Just check the date of import and ensure that it is new stock. These Falcos probably offer too much protection for your intended usage but more protection is always better!
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 13:34   #3782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350 View Post
Hi,

Could you share your impression of the Nomad and Drifter riding pants ? It seems that you have used other gear earlier, how do they compare ? How are the Level II CE inserts ?

Thanks in advance
The Nomad comes with Level 2 CE inserts - hip, knee, thigh. I don't remember the exact term for the material- it's Not the hard one, but the softer material which hardens on impact. Nothing to complain about the inserts - they do their job well (have fallen a couple of times on all sides) and they aren't intrusive when riding or walking.

The pant comes with two inner liners (rain and thermal) and I've used both (together + solo) and they hold up pretty well. There's a zip at the base of the pants for easier wear/removal of knee length riding boots. The pants are nicely ventilated so riding in hot weather has been a 'breeze' (pun intended). The external pockets are water-proof. The only issue with the Nomad is that there's no zip (maybe to make it water-resistant). So roadside answering of nature's call will require some ingenuity

The Drifter comes with Level 1 CE inserts - hip, knee, thigh. They are a bit more 'slim fit' as compared to the 'baggy type' Nomad pants. The Drifter comes with only one liner (Rain) - which also doubles as thermal liner. But it has a ZIP!

Apart from these differences, both the pants are pretty much value for money. We used it during our Mumbai to North East and back ride (Dec 2020-Jan 2021) and despite the odd-even terrain, climate and couple of falls - the pants were pretty robust and the stitching shows no signs of tear.

Earlier gear included CLOVER denim riding pants (with CE hard plastic inserts in knee and soft foam in the hip/thigh) - which I still use for city or small highway runs. And, now retired, Rynox Airtex riding pant - which was a 'hand me down' from my brother who was moving abroad. I think the newer version of the pant is available now - had no complaints with that one.

Hope this helps!
TheVaas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 14:39   #3783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaas View Post
Hope this helps!
Thank you for the detailed review, yes it does help a lot
A350 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 22:11   #3784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Even I too have heard excellent feedback on Falco boots. Just check the date of import and ensure that it is new stock. These Falcos probably offer too much protection for your intended usage but more protection is always better!
Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
I would recommend you Falco boots. They're all fresh stock, CE certified with D3O inserts. Their build quality is far better than local brands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
I've heard good things about Falco boots. These should be no different. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arv1990 View Post
My preference was a good adventure boot which could handle monsoon and slush. For this, I chose the Falco Mixto 3. For 2 years I have abused it enough in almost every given condition available in South India, including some serious off-roading.
Got the boots today. Thanks to you for all your inputs especially to surjaonwheelz who suggested the Falco boots. These are 2021 manufactured ones and made in Italy.

The Riding Gear thread-frontview.jpg
Front View

The Riding Gear thread-sideview.jpg
Side View

The Riding Gear thread-rear.jpg
Rear View

The Riding Gear thread-sole_side.jpg
Sole Side View

The Riding Gear thread-sole_buckle.jpg
Sole Buckle Side View

The Riding Gear thread-sole.jpg
Sole

The Riding Gear thread-solecloseup.jpg
Sole Close-up

The Riding Gear thread-solecloseup1.jpg
Sole Close-up. This white portion is harder and more rigid.

The Riding Gear thread-ankle_pivot.jpg
Ankle Pivot Mechanism

The Riding Gear thread-grippydesign.jpg
Grippy design on the ankle pivot plate

The Riding Gear thread-ankle_protection.jpg
Ankle Protection

The Riding Gear thread-toe.jpg
Toe Area

The Riding Gear thread-velcroclosure.jpg
Velcro Closure

The Riding Gear thread-frontprotection.jpg
Shin Protection

The Riding Gear thread-height.jpg
Total height from the floor - A little more than 35 cm

The Riding Gear thread-mfgdateplace.jpg
Manufacturing Information (2021), CE Level 2 2 2, Made in Italy

The Riding Gear thread-boots.jpeg
How the boots look once they are put on.

The Riding Gear thread-information.jpg
Additional information about CE Rating etc.

Last edited by pjbiju : 15th September 2021 at 22:21.
pjbiju is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 22:33   #3785
BHPian

Quote:
Got the boots today. Thanks to you for all your inputs especially to surjaonwheelz who suggested the Falco boots. These are 2021 manufactured ones and made in Italy.
Great, they look like a 'Tank' on your feet How's the weight feel on the feet?

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 23:10   #3786
Senior - BHPian

I was pleasantly surprised to see the quality on TVS Racing Level2 jackets. Picked up one for just under 6K (There was a 10% off). The colour scheme and fit really appealed to me. (I'm getting a Dainese btw, and this one is for short rides).
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-screenshot-20210915-11.05.57-pm.png  

The Riding Gear thread-screenshot-20210915-11.06.10-pm.png  

Sebring is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 17:43   #3787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got the boots today.
That was quick decision and delivery.
Hope you wear these in house to break-in before riding bike with these. BTW, which bike will you be using these on, hoping that you have moved from Pulsar 180.
On a jovial note, please don't wear Falco boots on a bike having Ralco tyres.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 11:07   #3788
BHPian

I've been looking for a new pair of riding gloves for some time now. My old pair, the BBG Breeze, are showing signs of old age and need to be retired from active duty.

After a lot of research (basically looking at all the Indian riding gear websites I could find & drinking a ton of coffee) I zeroed in on the Shima RS2.

GT House being the official importer for Shima in India I decided to purchase the gloves from them. Here is the link from where I purchased the gloves.

Although these seem to be track-focused gloves, my use will be limited to sedate rides on my Bult 500. I am slowly upgrading my riding gear to the next level so I wanted something that will offer great protection.

Here is a screenshot from Shima's website listing the protective features that this glove offers.

The Riding Gear thread-shimars2specs.png

Before the purchase

This was going to be my first online purchase of any riding gear. I never buy riding gear online but the current circumstances forced a change in my usual habits.

I measured the circumference of the palm of my dominant hand and used this size chart to go for the size L.

A small note about the measurements: My "hand-circumference" measured about 8.3 inches which would make the recommended size M. However, I decided to go in for the L size (which is recommended for 8.5" - 9") to account for any minor errors in measurements. The L sized gloves fit me just right so M would have been too small.

Purchase experience

The purchase experience was OK.

I paid Rs. 8999/- for the gloves on Sunday, they were shipped on Monday and were in my hands by Wednesday morning.

The only gripe I have is that the status of my order was not updated on their website (it still says 'Processing'!!).

However, I contacted them over Whatsapp on Tuesday and received an update with the tracking number fairly quickly.

After the purchase

Initially, the gloves were a bit too snug - especially on the right hand. However, I knew that I had to break them in.

I wore them around the house for a few hours every day and now they are much better. (It helps if you make a Singham style fist while wearing them )

These are my first gloves that have a "pinky-bridge". The pinky finger would initially hurt when trying to make a fist. But this has now gone away and the gloves just feel nice and snug.

The Riding Gear thread-20210917_094743.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20210917_094754.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20210917_095017.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20210917_094632.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20210917_094558.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20210917_094615.jpg
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 15:01   #3789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great, they look like a 'Tank' on your feet How's the weight feel on the feet?

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
The weight of the boots is 2345 grams. One is 1163 grams and the other is 1182 grams. I just walked around the house and I did feel the weight. So walking short distances should be okay.

The Riding Gear thread-weight.jpg
Weight of both the boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
That was quick decision and delivery.
Hope you wear these in house to break-in before riding bike with these. BTW, which bike will you be using these on, hoping that you have moved from Pulsar 180.
On a jovial note, please don't wear Falco boots on a bike having Ralco tyres.
Well, the boots are actually for my son. So he will be using it on his bike and not on the Pulsar .

The Riding Gear thread-gearwithmt.jpg
All the gear with the MT helmet

The Riding Gear thread-pulsar.jpg
With the Pulsar

The Riding Gear thread-dominar1.jpg
With Dominar, his bike

The Riding Gear thread-dominar2.jpg
You can see the reflection from the Noctex material in this on the pants. I used the flash to show it. In the night it is highly visible.

The Riding Gear thread-dominar3.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-lonavala.jpg
From his first trip with the boots to Lonavala yesterday morning.

The equipment bought so far are:
  • Rynox Urban X Jacket - Camo Blue Grey (Motocentral, Pune)
  • Rynox Cerros Chest Protectors (Openroad, Pune)
  • Rynox Urban X Gloves - CE certified (Motocentral, Pune)
  • Rynox Storm Evo Pants, Noctex (Openroad, Pune)
  • MT Revenge Binomy Matt Helmet, ECE & DOT certified, 5 star SHARP rated. (Openroad, Pune)
  • Antifog insert for MT Revenge (Motocentral, Pune)
  • Shaft Pro 610d Animatto helmet, ECE certified (Openroad, Pune)
  • Antifog insert for Shaft Pro (Openroad, Pune)

Both the helmets are small size and this size fits me, my wife and my son. The Shaft Pro is a little more comfortable and not so tight fitting as the MT. The MT is really very tight fitting even after having used it for several hundred kilometers.
pjbiju is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 16:21   #3790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The weight of the boots is 2345 grams. One is 1163 grams and the other is 1182 grams. I just walked around the house and I did feel the weight. So walking short distances should be okay.
Lovely gear, all the best to the family. The boots really stand out among everything.

Curious as to why there is a weight difference between the boots.

Ride safe!

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 19:53   #3791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The equipment bought so far are:
  • Rynox Cerros Chest Protectors (Openroad, Pune)
  • MT Revenge Binomy Matt Helmet, ECE & DOT certified, 5 star SHARP rated. (Openroad, Pune)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Lovely gear, all the best to the family. The boots really stand out among everything.

Curious as to why there is a weight difference between the boots.

Ride safe!

Cheers
My guess is it may have to do with the leather used. There could be slight variations in the thickness of the leather used in the boots.

Actually forgot to add the boots to the list. So the complete list is
  • Rynox Cerros Chest Protectors (Rynox Exclusive Store, Phoenix Mall. This store is also run by Openroad, Pune)
  • Falco Avantour 2 boots, ECE 2 2 2 (6KIOM.com, Bangalore)
pjbiju is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 11:49   #3792
BHPian

Hello Riders,

Royal Enfield has added riding jackets to their MIY (Make it yours) program. You can choose your armors Knox or D3O, L1 or L2, layers etc.

I just added Stormraider jacket and full set of D3O L2 armors and was surprised to see the discount on the armors! Please check.

If you're in the market for riding jackets and are sure of RE riding jackets and their sizing then this is way more cost effective way to get upgraded armor. I tried removing the jacket itself and RE restores the armor prices to MRP. The bundled offer is worth it!

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 14:31   #3793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just added Stormraider jacket and full set of D3O L2 armors and was surprised to see the discount on the armors!
By the time mere mortals like us keep contemplating, 'neil.jericho' would have already ordered another jacket.

Quote:
If you're in the market for riding jackets and are sure of RE riding jackets and their sizing then this is way more cost effective way to get upgraded armor. I tried removing the jacket itself and RE restores the armor prices to MRP. The bundled offer is worth it!
Choice of armor(level1/lever2, Knox/D3O) is really best part and bundled offer is sweet. My current mesh jacket is 5 years old and was thinking of replacing armor with D3O however bit tempted to buy this customised jacket instead.
sukiwa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 02:56   #3794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheWanderer View Post
After a lot of research (basically looking at all the Indian riding gear websites I could find & drinking a ton of coffee) I zeroed in on the Shima RS2.
Have you ridden in them yet? Wondering how hot they get at low speeds /within the city etc?
P72NX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 11:32   #3795
BHPian

Quote:
That's great, don't know why the 6kiom website mentions, "Weight 7 kg"
I tried weighing my Gaerne boots and the reading was not accurate with standalone, wearing them & not wearing them! I need a smaller scale and assume they are less than a kilo gram for the pair.

Quote:
MT Revenge Binomy Matt Helmet, ECE & DOT certified, 5 star SHARP rated. (Openroad, Pune)

Shaft Pro 610d Animatto helmet, ECE certified (Openroad, Pune)

Both the helmets are small size and this size fits me, my wife and my son. The Shaft Pro is a little more comfortable and not so tight fitting as the MT. The MT is really very tight fitting even after having used it for several hundred kilometers.
It must be the Revenge 2, and it's not SHARP tested yet! (If I remember correctly)

Please share detailed pictures and comparisons of both the lids on The Helmet thread as Shaft Pro is a newer brand and there are no reviews yet. It would help others choose it. I know Rynox is selling it.

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 21st September 2021 at 11:33.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks