Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2023, 03:28   #4531
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Seems like the season of boots is here judging by the last few discussions and here I am with yet another input/query about riding boots!

A couple years ago I had made a misinformed decision and bought a pair of "riding boots" in the name of Orazo. Later discovered them to be "safety shoes" being marketed as "riding boots" but I'd been enjoying them until the sole of the left shoe, notoriously, started falling apart. The good part about these shoes was they didn't look purposeful (which they weren't even) and that made me frequently utilize them for routine wear purposes on small trips where I'd usually only pack a pair of crocs!

The requirement of a new riding shoe has arisen, hence. While I'd prefer them to still be somewhat versatile and not an eye-sore in situations other than riding, I'm willing to put protection first this time around. I have shortlisted a few shoes primarily from observing what many riders around have been wearing, would appreciate some inputs from the members here WRT their experience with these or general recommendations which would help me choose. Listing them in no particular order:

1. Raida Tourer (https://amzn.eu/d/fuCXzxn)
2. Raida Discover (OOS in most places for UK10) (https://amzn.eu/d/dDrNKMH)
3. Axor Slicks (https://shorturl.at/GPR68)
4. Solace Street Ace (https://shorturl.at/grwzP)
5. Tarmac Tour Boots (https://shorturl.at/jwIW9)

The budget for the boots is upto 8k. I'm looking for a short to mid length boot as I feel a little uncomfortable with the longer boots. Thanks in advance.
sunejarahul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 10:00   #4532
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunejarahul View Post
The requirement of a new riding shoe has arisen, hence. While I'd prefer them to still be somewhat versatile and not an eye-sore in situations other than riding, I'm willing to put protection first this time around. I have shortlisted a few shoes primarily from observing what many riders around have been wearing, would appreciate some inputs from the members here WRT their experience with these or general recommendations which would help me choose. Listing them in no particular order:

1. Raida Tourer (https://amzn.eu/d/fuCXzxn)
2. Raida Discover (OOS in most places for UK10) (https://amzn.eu/d/dDrNKMH)
3. Axor Slicks (https://shorturl.at/GPR68)
4. Solace Street Ace (https://shorturl.at/grwzP)
5. Tarmac Tour Boots (https://shorturl.at/jwIW9)

The budget for the boots is upto 8k. I'm looking for a short to mid length boot as I feel a little uncomfortable with the longer boots. Thanks in advance.
sunejarahul, if you can increase your budget to around Rs 12K, then do give the Royal Enfield E39 short riding boots a look. They are waterproof and come in 2 colours. I am particularly fond of the brown boots. If I didnt already own a pair of A* ankle length boots, I would have bought myself a pair of E39s.

Yes, the pricing is a bit steep but Royal Enfield has been knocking it out of the park with their riding gear. I believe you cant go wrong with the E39s.
neil.jericho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 10:01   #4533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have shortlisted a few shoes primarily from observing what many riders around have been wearing, would appreciate some inputs from the members here WRT their experience with these or general recommendations which would help me choose.
From your shortlist, Raida discover looks good.
For Solace, please look at Speed X rather than Street ace as it provides better protection. It's bit more than your budget, however that's cost of protection.
Tarmac series from Bachoo motors seems to have very few sizes available, mostly new model range is expected.
sukiwa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 10:14   #4534
Distinguished - BHPian

A little birdie tells me that the once popular brand Cramster, will soon make a comeback in the Indian market, with a range of products that will be very affordably priced. This is good news for all of us riding enthusiasts.

At one time, DSG and Cramster were the only two dogs in the game and they democratized riding gear, before the rest of the players came along and expanded the market even further. The Cramster TRG2 full gauntlet gloves were the gold standard for riding enthusiasts back in the day. It would be great to see many of Cramster's old models be resurrected in 2023 / 24.
neil.jericho is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 10:24   #4535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
A little birdie tells me that the once popular brand Cramster, will soon make a comeback in the Indian market, with a range of products that will be very affordably priced. This is good news for all of us riding enthusiasts.

At one time, DSG and Cramster were the only two dogs in the game and they democratized riding gear, before the rest of the players came along and expanded the market even further. The Cramster TRG2 full gauntlet gloves were the gold standard for riding enthusiasts back in the day. It would be great to see many of Cramster's old models be resurrected in 2023 / 24.
https://cramster.in/
The logo says Cramster by Rynox.
Gordon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 13:04   #4536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I believe you cant go wrong with the E39s.
Thanks for the suggestion Neil! I did have a look at the RE's offering and read a few posts about them in this thread but I've been a little skeptical about them as RE's previous variant, the famous mid rise touring boot (₹6500), is notorious for giving up within a couple of years as heard from people in my riding circle. The budget too restricted me a little. If we're going to be investing upwards of 10k, how would you rate the Falco Liberty 2.1 in contrast? I'm looking for a shoe that'll last 3-4 years at least without falling apart if kept unused for a few months since I don't ride daily and only do about 3-4 bike trips in a year (around 4-5k kms yearly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
From your shortlist, Raida discover looks good.
For Solace, please look at Speed X rather than Street ace as it provides better protection. It's bit more than your budget, however that's cost of protection.
Tarmac series from Bachoo motors seems to have very few sizes available, mostly new model range is expected.
I can barely wait for newer variants as the old Orazo is almost completely gone and I need a shoe ASAP. It could also be a stop-gap option used primarily for a year until I save up for a better tourer boot and this cheaper one gets used as a daily/city shoe in rare instances that I ride locally. Does anyone you know have any experience with Raida boots? By the looks of it, the shoe does look good but I've been deceived by "looks" and "perceived quality" in the past with the Orazo too!
sunejarahul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 15:12   #4537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can barely wait for newer variants as the old Orazo is almost completely gone and I need a shoe ASAP.
I had suggested Solace speed X. I have used a Solace pair (earlier short boots model) for daily office commutes for more than 3 years, used to shift to another shoe pair kept in office drawer.

Quote:
It could also be a stop-gap option used primarily for a year until I save up for a better tourer boot and this cheaper one gets used as a daily/city shoe in rare instances that I ride locally.
Why pay for 2 pairs, buy a single pair that you can use in every scenario.

Viaterra just announced their riding boots and specs are good. Their quality is quite known be it luggage or riding gear.

Quote:
Does anyone you know have any experience with Raida boots? By the looks of it, the shoe does look good but I've been deceived by "looks" and "perceived quality" in the past with the Orazo too!
I am using Raida rain gloves, don't expect it to last for more than 2 monsoon seasons. No using any other Raida product.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 16:38   #4538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Why pay for 2 pairs, buy a single pair that you can use in every scenario.
That option would entail owning a budgeted, mid-rise & more versatile boot which can be used in city/breakfast rides allowing me to even walk around a little and sustain a few hours meeting friends or for leisurely rides around the city while I save up for a longer, dedicated set of touring boots (Falco, Forma or Leatt) for strictly touring purposes. Even if I do somehow get the touring boot right now, it won't fit into the use case of short-duration riding & absolutely not viable for city/leisure riding purposes; I'll be doing them more harm than justice this way.

Quote:
Viaterra just announced their riding boots and specs are good.
Yes, I did come across this just an hour ago while doom scrolling Instagram. Looks good but I don't want laces on a riding boot and they're just too new to comment on currently.

About the Raida, Axor or Solace cheaper boots, I'm not willing to put my money until I see get some reliable feedback. Guess this puts me in sort of a fix for now!
sunejarahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 17:01   #4539
BHPian

On a related note, I got Alpinestars Faster 3 from FC Moto recently. This time though, the delivery took close to 1 month. Got this for ₹ 11,285 including shipping and paypal charges. Customs duty of ₹ 3808 on top of that, making the total to ₹15k.The fitment is fine as per Astars size chart.
I am currently using 'Chester' boots, or rather riding sneakers from Stylmartin which have been serving well for my daily commute and office use for past 2 years, but is nearing it's end of life due to the kind of usage it is going through.
For 15k I feel there are better options for riding boots, at least on paper.My sole reason for this purchase was I had wanted to try a sneaker from AStars for quite some time after my experience using their SMX1R boots.
Coming to the boots, which is more of a riding sneaker, quality of fit and finish is nice from initial impression. This is not as sturdy or protective as a proper short boots like SMX 1R Or Forma axel, but it's sneaky and does not look out of place in a formal setting. Sole is rigid and it has integrated toe slider and ankle protection on both sides. It has level 2 CE certification for impact and cut resistance and level 1 for transverse rigidity..Attaching pics.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-img_20230802_145548.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20230802_145539.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20230802_145509.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20230802_145431.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20230802_145311.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20230802_145422.jpg  

Last edited by Thamps : 2nd August 2023 at 17:12.
Thamps is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 17:10   #4540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
while I save up for a longer, dedicated set of touring boots (Falco, Forma or Leatt) for strictly touring purposes.
I guess you are yet to read this post (The Riding Gear thread). Availability of imported footwear brands is going to be slim in India.

Quote:
About the Raida, Axor or Solace cheaper boots, I'm not willing to put my money until I see get some reliable feedback. Guess this puts me in sort of a fix for now!
Among these 3 brands, my pick would be Solace.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 17:50   #4541
BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone you know have any experience with Raida boots? By the looks of it, the shoe does look good but I've been deceived by "looks" and "perceived quality" in the past with the Orazo too!
My entire riding group bought shoes in July for a Himachal trip that was supposed to happen this month, but got washed out eventually.
I bought the Orazo Picus WP (had planned for the Raida Discover but tried the Orazo out at Always Riding, Arjan Garh and felt comfortable), while 4 of my other friends got the Raida Discover. 2 of them have undertaken 500 km day trips and say that the shoes are comfortable, whereas the remaining 3 of us did a monsoon ride to Chikmagalur in pouring rain where my Orazo was soaked on the inside since I wasn't wearing rain pants (water seeped in from the top), rider 2's Raida was fine, bone dry because he was wearing rain pants, and rider 3's Raida was filled with water, with water visibly coming out of 2 small holes, one in the toe area and one above the heel. He returned the shoe and got himself an Orazo Picus WP with the zipper.

Hope this helps,
Sayantan
boniver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 19:01   #4542
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
https://cramster.in/
The logo says Cramster by Rynox.
Gordon, I wasnt sure that the news of Rynox's acquisition of the Cramster brand was public knowledge. Hence, I refrained from mentioning their name. What I do hear is that Rynox is going to be rather aggressive with the pricing, so the Cramster products will likely be positioned below Rynox's existing lineup.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion Neil! I did have a look at the RE's offering and read a few posts about them in this thread but I've been a little skeptical about them as RE's previous variant, the famous mid rise touring boot (₹6500), is notorious for giving up within a couple of years as heard from people in my riding circle. The budget too restricted me a little. If we're going to be investing upwards of 10k, how would you rate the Falco Liberty 2.1 in contrast? I'm looking for a shoe that'll last 3-4 years at least without falling apart if kept unused for a few months since I don't ride daily and only do about 3-4 bike trips in a year (around 4-5k kms yearly).
sunejarahul, so far I havent heard any complaints about Royal Enfield's E39 boots. The Falcos are another good option. However, their availability may not match that of the E39s.

Quote:
That option would entail owning a budgeted, mid-rise & more versatile boot which can be used in city/breakfast rides allowing me to even walk around a little and sustain a few hours meeting friends or for leisurely rides around the city while I save up for a longer, dedicated set of touring boots (Falco, Forma or Leatt) for strictly touring purposes. Even if I do somehow get the touring boot right now, it won't fit into the use case of short-duration riding & absolutely not viable for city/leisure riding purposes; I'll be doing them more harm than justice this way.
You could always get something like Royal Enfield's sneakers (which offer some protection) and save the rest for your set of touring boots. Again, sneakers offer less protection than short riding boots but are also lighter on the wallet and more comfortable for day to day / in city usage.

Only you can decide on the best trade off, based on your planned usage.

Quote:
This is the crux of your initial post. Several of your listed options are still to prove themselves in the market. Either way, do let us know what you do eventually buy.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2023, 18:45   #4543
Senior - BHPian

After close to 9 months of riding (not too proud about it), finally got my pair of Raida Tourer riding boots from Bikers Pitstop. The idea of riding boots was daunting because I initially found them so uncomfortable (high ankle ones). After scuffing 2 pairs of regular leather shoes, I finally picked up the low ankle model in UK size 9 (same as my regular shoes). The choice was driven by practicality, hopefully enabling them to be used more (office commute, short rides) than for long rides only. As a first time buyer/user of riding boots, my strong recommendation is to not plonk for one without trying them on

July 2023 on the box! The store had limited models on display but more than made up in customer service
The Riding Gear thread-pxl_20230805_082040369.jpg

Least conspicuous in appearance and least cumbersome to wear and walk were my only requirements (not a fan of the shiny black though)
The Riding Gear thread-pxl_20230805_124238694.night.jpg

ingress and egress is easy! in fact this trumps every other foot wear that I own in that department. 'Doors' open wide!
The Riding Gear thread-pxl_20230805_124419669.night.jpg

Hope to test it out in the monsoon splashes with abandon
GeeTee TSI is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 20:49   #4544
BHPian

Looking for inputs from experienced riders. I have come back from a three day ride. Have cleaned my riding gear except my gloves. Not sure what is the best way to clean the gloves, the outside and the inside. Any inputs will help. Thanks..!
Old 9th August 2023, 22:26   #4545

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDifferent? View Post
Looking for inputs from experienced riders. I have come back from a three day ride. Have cleaned my riding gear except my gloves. Not sure what is the best way to clean the gloves, the outside and the inside. Any inputs will help. Thanks..!

Allow them to soak for a short while, about 2 to 5 minutes depending on the extent of dirt, in lukewarm water.
Gently brush off the dirt using a soft bristle brush. Ideally, avoid using any detergent.
Let them drip dry in shade and wear them a couple of times while they are semi dry to bring the leather back to your size.
neith is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks