Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2023, 00:03   #4396
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSiMa View Post
I was asking for the 390 Adv.

...decided to get a top box, looking for something like SHAD top boxes, will choose the smallest size that can accommodate a helmet and riding jacket.
MiSiMa, the top box's utility would be unparalleled. Would only advice to not be too worried about the size. The first thing I put on my 390 ADV was a 42L top box from ASG. It's been 9 months since then and it has served very well. I have completed multiple inter-state trips on it with no significant difference in handling that would make me re-consider it. 42L has been adequate for me to put my helmet + gloves + some more random stuff when I park it in office and it carries my bag when on my way. However, a caveat to what you've mentioned - I doubt you will find a top box large enough to fit your helmet along with a riding jacket (with back armor).

If you're worried about filtering with a bigger box, the ADV handlebar is too wide. Doubt you'd find a top box that would be wider than the handle bar to impact city use.

On long rides, it carries all my bike spares. One advice I would give is not to load it too much, use saddle bags / panniers / tail bag for that. This would ensure your bike's centre of gravity does not shift too high and away.

Wish you many more safe and now comfortable miles! Happy to answer any follow-up questions.

Some shots for reference on looks on the ADV and space. Works well for household errands (as you will see below) + touring.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-img_5435.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_5601.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_5580.jpg  

Malliketh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 12:57   #4397
BHPian

Hello all,

Was planning to get a riding pant after going through most of the recent pages have made a list as below:

1. Solace coolpro V3
2. Viaterra spencer
3. Rynox Stelath Evo/Advento

Please let me know your views/ long term feedback on these. Main concerns are comfort and quality.

Regards
Preetham

Last edited by Axe77 : 12th March 2023 at 22:22. Reason: Minor typo and formatting.
PreethamNag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 15:00   #4398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreethamNag View Post
Hello all,
Was planning to get a riding pant after going through most of the recent pages have made a list as below
1 Solace coolpro V3
2 Viaterra spencer
3 Rynox Stelath Evo/Advento
My pick would be Solace, they're doing an excellent job in the local riding gear scene. Viaterra has too much mesh and Rynox pants are due for an upgrade as all their jackets are upgraded (my assumption). Solace would be good for touring!

Try all the shortlisted pants for fit and comfort, if possible sit on your bike and check! If you've riding boots, wear them for the trials

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 20:10   #4399
BHPian

Quote:
1 Solace coolpro V3
2 Viaterra spencer
3 Rynox Stelath Evo/Advento
I used Rynox Advento recently (first tryst with riding pants). Everything was fine regarding comfort and fitting. But only issue is that my knee was a bit raw due to the armor rubbing the naked knee (I didn't wear a base layer). Otherwise the pant was quite comfortable as my first riding pant.
masterChief007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 16:00   #4400
BHPian

Quote:

1. Solace coolpro V3
2. Viaterra spencer
3. Rynox Stelath Evo/Advento

Regards
Preetham
Been using Solace coolpro V3 since 1 year. Did Ladakh ride too.! Very comfortable pants. I always use base layers from Decathalon. Sufficient mesh which helps ventilation.

Not sure about Viaterra. But Rynox Advento/ stealth pants have very less mesh.

So it boils down to where will you be using the gear primarily. I am from coastal regions in the South of India and temperatures are on the higher side all year around. So I wanted maximum mesh. Hence selected Solace cool pro V3.

All the best shopping.!

Cheers

Anirudh
Ani0404 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 16:35   #4401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani0404 View Post
So it boils down to where will you be using the gear primarily. I am from coastal regions in the South of India and temperatures are on the higher side all year around. So I wanted maximum mesh. Hence selected Solace cool pro V3.
Thank you for the response, I was also looking for pant with good ventilation. From the responses and some websearch have narrowed down to Solace.
PreethamNag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 15:40   #4402
BHPian

The Riding Gear thread-20230318_153649.jpg

Got this today. Pretty fast delivery by Rynox, received it in 3 days. Will post a long term usage review later on.

P.S: the picture was edited to "pop". The box looks much more battered.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 06:42   #4403
Senior - BHPian

Bought these in the last 1 week.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-img_20230313_211030.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20230312_204822.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20230312_204900.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20230312_214514.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20230318_141544.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20230318_150201.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20230318_150209.jpg  

straight6 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 14:37   #4404
BHPian

https://powersports.in/collections/korda-riding-gear

Is this a new sub brand like Aspida/Spartan pro gear?
Senotrius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 22:27   #4405
BHPian

Checking for new riding gears- how does solace stack up in comparison to viaterra and rynox. I prefer viaterra for example wrt quality/durability to rynox. On paper solace seems to offer better components ,1000D cordura,sastec armor for comparatively less. Are they the new rynox?(vfm proposition)
Senotrius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 12:01   #4406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
Is this a new sub brand like Aspida/Spartan pro gear?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
Checking for new riding gears- how does solace stack up in comparison to viaterra and rynox. I prefer viaterra for example wrt quality/durability to rynox. On paper solace seems to offer better components ,1000D cordura,sastec armor for comparatively less. Are they the new rynox?(vfm proposition)
Yes, Korda is the new brand under Powersports, but all products are new. Spartan Pro gears are history now.

Rynox has turned into the biggest homegrown riding gear brand. It does a lot of promotions, sponsorships, has brand stores etc. As the riding community grew they catered to them. They have jackets with L2 armours from as low as 5k INR and one jacket for every 1k increase in pricing, insane!

Solace is also very good, both the brands have CE certified gloves. Other riding apparel are yet to be certified. Viaterra Grid gloves are the go to gloves for many ace riders. Viaterra went the custom way for riding apparel, custom built or made to measure. Also offering some off-road suits, Rynox will also launch their off-road line-up soon.

We can't compare brand to brand, and conclude which is better but we can compare product to product. If you have some specific products in mind, try them, if possible sit on your bike and check the contact points with your bike!

For example, the Solace Sabre V5 riding jacket (shown in previous post) is by far the most comprehensive Indian riding jacket. Keep in mind these riding apparel last for years, you have to live with it, ride with it so please don't think what more you're getting for less!

Now almost all serious Indian brands provide L2 armours. Rynox and Viaterra don't provide any layers/liners with the apparel, it's an add on. Solace, Scala, Raida provide these layers/liners, they're included with the apparel.

The real differentiator now lies in the CE Rating of riding apparel, which was explained a few posts earlier (check it (The Riding Gear thread))

Neil is from Cochin, you can check his posts for all riding gear stores and options.

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz

Last edited by vb-saan : 21st March 2023 at 14:39. Reason: As requested
surjaonwheelz is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 15:31   #4407
BHPian

Yes, specs wise solace offers best bang for buck (like rynox used to,still do).My question is regarding durability or longevity. The velcro on my rynox is mediocre and one cuff liner tore one year into ownership. As do colour fading on the storm Evo gloves.

My current selection-

1.Gloves: viaterra grid.full ce level 1 ,exceeds level 2 on some parameters according to them.

2. Jacket: Solace furious v5.level 2 sastec throughout except chest. 1000d cordura at abrasion points,rest is,700d and mesh. Convertible. They could reduce price by making thermal liner/rain liner optional.

3. Pants: solace cool pro V3. Again 1000D at knee,rest 700D and mesh. Sastec l2 Armor.

4. Boots- Ryo t-rex . The only
CE 2222 IPS IPA certified boots under 15k available in India. All Indian brands are ambiguous when it comes to rating or what type of CE rating they have.Some are for industrial safety certification.

Alternatives - rynox noctex pants and stealt pro jacket. Viaterra Spencer jacket and pant.
Senotrius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 23:20   #4408
Distinguished - BHPian

Revit Sand 4 H20 jacket - Initial Impressions

A couple of months ago, I had posted (The Riding Gear thread) about the differences between a mesh jacket and a textile jacket. Unfortunately, many riders in the enthusiast community are still unaware of the practical realities of these jackets. The less said about ignorant social media influenzas who struggle for content and dont know heads or tails about different jackets, the better

For enthusiasts on a budget, a mesh jacket makes tremendous sense. However, for those tourers who can afford to have a second jacket in their wardrobe, a textile jacket is a must have. Sadly, I see many well heeled riders using their mesh jackets for anything and everything. Thats like wearing your formal office shoes to go to office, run a marathon, do some gardening and going to the beach!

Anyways, my Royal Enfield Khardung La textile jacket is close to completing 5 years of loyal service. Ive worn it for thousands of kilometers, in all sorts of weather, and Ive never had any complaint with it. The logical upgrade was the CE level A rated Royal Enfield Nirvik jacket, which is a fabulous buy at Rs 15,000.

However, I decided to look for a CE level AA rated jacket, and after a lot of research, I narrowed it down to the Revit Sand 4 H20 jacket. I love the fact that you can completely control the airflow and you get different layers to suit different purposes (cold / rain etc). TBHPians Axe77 and KarthikK had recently picked up the Sand 4 H20 jacket. The feedback from both this experienced riders was very positive. As fate would have it, a close friend of mine was able to procure for me, a Revit Sand 4 H20 jacket, at a very attractive price. Since the back protector is shared between the Eclipse mesh jacket and Sand 4 H20 jacket, I didnt have to buy an additional back armour. I only purchased the additional chest protectors.

The Riding Gear thread-img_1642.jpeg

I rode down from Bangalore to Cochin, while wearing the Sand 4 H20 jacket. Ive been using riding jackets since 2009, and have gone through multiple products from Indian and international manufacturers. This is, without a doubt, the best riding jacket that I have ever worn in my life. Every little aspect of this jacket shows the countless hours that have gone into designing and manufacturing a world-class product. That is where our home grown companies have a lot of catching up to do.

While riding at highway speeds, I closed up all the vents and rode without a care in the world. The fact that I could do so, while riding through simmering Coimbatore and Palakkad, was a blessing! Closer to home, as I slowed down with traffic, I opened up the chest vents and the zips on the arms, to allow for the required airflow.

In terms of a stress test, the 550 kilometer ride had everything (except rains, ironically!) and the Sand 4 H20 jacket, passed it with flying colours.

Ill do another few long rides and post a detailed breakdown of this top notch product from Revit.

Money no bar, is this the best touring jacket that is sold in India? You will be hard pressed to convince me otherwise.
neil.jericho is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 13:40   #4409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
Falco Marshall was something I also loved when I wore it at the store. Uber comfortable!

Coming to your question, what people (via chat or WA groups) have reported is that the buckles come off, or that the waterproofing doesn't really work.
Agreed,poor quality wrt waterproofing. Changed the boots twice under warranty. Will seep with just drizzling rain. Plus the toe area can be easily depressed with a finger. Already use a Falco Marshall. But comfort is great. Avoid Falco as it's costly too.
Senotrius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 14:23   #4410

Recommendation on boot and Driving seat

Hello Everyone,

I need recommendation on riding boot and seats for bike. I searched the forum and did not find answers for my requirement. any pointer will be really helpful.

Firstly I am a tall guy(196 cm/6'4") and own a RE Desert storm 500.I am planning for circuit from Bangalore to Patna to Mumbai to Bangalore and hence needed some upgrade in my riding gears.

1. Riding boot:I earlier zeroed in on RE- E-39 but the max size they have is UK45. My foot size is between UK47 and UK 48(depending on the company). Looking for recommendation for same.
2. Driving seat: RE-Desert storm comes with relatively hard split seats and its uncomfortable for long rides. For last couple of rides I am using seat cushions[link] which is reasonably comfortable but it keeps slipping sideways and I have to adjust it thru the ride. I am looking for replacing with a permanent good seat. Looking for a good seat recommendation either online or offline in Bangalore
3. Back support for Rider: Extension of seat , I am looking for a backsupport for driver , a one that can fit on split seats. Appreciate any pointers here.

Looking forward to response on these

Thanks
BoB

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks