Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2022, 16:09   #4336
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
In other news, I’m on a short vacay in Rome and while out for a run yesterday I happenchanced on a Dainese store in Central Rome. What a store!!!
Just a Headsup Axe77, the D-Stores do not stock up on the short or tall version of the riding trousers. However, you can order them online and pick them up in store.

Wanted to visit and experience a D-store for their guidance on fit but missed it.
Old 27th December 2022, 17:06   #4337
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skviknaraj View Post
Just a Headsup Axe77, the D-Stores do not stock up on the short or tall version of the riding trousers. However, you can order them online and pick them up in store.

Wanted to visit and experience a D-store for their guidance on fit but missed it.
Hey. Thanks. I was just mentioning as a passing that those colors look nice - happened to step into the store since I was running along that route and had seen it on maps. I just got a set of RevIt Sand 4 a month ago so not looking out for riding gear.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 14:34   #4338
BHPian

I bought ViaTerra Holeshot gloves and ViaTerra Spencer riding pants just prior to Rider Mania.

The gloves initially felt uncomfortable compared to my older Rynox ones. I don't remember the particular model name of Rynox but it was around the same price bracket as Holeshot. Anyway, I got used to the Holeshots fast. Now they feel a lot more comfortable compared to Rynox and they definitely look more durable.

As for the riding pants this is my first experience with proper riding pants. Spencers got zips from ankle going up a few inches towards knee and a velcro strap around the ankles. And a buckle belt around the waist. Helps with easier pulling on/off the pants. They could have placed the pockets a bit higher up though. With the current placement a large phone in the pocket feels a bit odd when knees are bent. The best thing about the riding pants(probably other brands too) is it's very easy on the crotch area compared to regular trousers. Now I can't imagine doing day long rides in normal trousers.

I was in a hurry while buying the trousers and ended up with one size too large. I needed an L(36") but bought an XL(38"). Planning to sell them for a considerable discount if anyone is interested. Please PM me. They have been used on just one ride, Bangalore-Goa-Bangalore.
Biker Ram is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 20:11   #4339
BHPian

I was looking for a good touring jacket. Tried on the RS Taichi Drymaster. Fit is decent but I somehow couldn't justify ~20k for it. Also, I sweat quite a bit so prefer mesh jackets.

The Riding Gear thread-pxl_20221126_1130401273.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-pxl_20221126_1131023632.jpg

The Klim Induction jacket seems good (premium) though. Tried it on & fits like there's no armour! No pics yet so I can force myself to visit again & actually buy it

The Riding Gear thread-screenshot_20230101200929.png

Meanwhile, RE had (probably still has) a sale going on. The Explorer V2 riding jacket was available for 2550 vs its original rate of 8k. Picked it up anyway to replace my dear friend, the RE Jaisalmer jacket. This should serve me well for within city riding.

The Riding Gear thread-img_88752.jpg

Also picked up Junket riding shoes. Quite decent & seem comfortable. Yet to ride with them.

The Riding Gear thread-pxl_20230101_0629469162.jpg
shyamg28 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 20:26   #4340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
The Explorer V2 riding jacket was available for 2550 vs its original rate of 8k. Picked it up anyway to replace my dear friend, the RE Jaisalmer jacket. This should serve me well for within-city riding.
Why not the street wind v2 jacket for city riding? (apart from the great vfm due to the discount). The full mesh construction makes sure you are ventilated as much as possible.

I have the grey color one which makes sure I don't feel hot however strong the sunshine is.
advstreak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 21:19   #4341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advstreak View Post
Why not the street wind v2 jacket for city riding? (apart from the great vfm due to the discount). The full mesh construction makes sure you are ventilated as much as possible.

I have the grey color one which makes sure I don't feel hot however strong the sunshine is.
The discount was too good haha! No other reason to be honest.
shyamg28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 09:52   #4342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was looking for a good touring jacket. Tried on the RS Taichi Drymaster. Fit is decent but I somehow couldn't justify ~20k for it. Also, I sweat quite a bit so prefer mesh jackets.

The Klim Induction jacket seems good (premium) though. Tried it on & fits like there's no armour! No pics yet so I can force myself to visit again & actually buy it
shyamg28, for the type of touring that you do, a textile jacket is a must. Please dont consider getting a mesh jacket for touring, more so since you already procured the Explorer V2 jacket. All that airflow is counterproductive for long days on the saddle. The Klim Induction is a mesh jacket. That said, the Induction would be a terrific jacket for commuting usage.

Even I sweat a lot. But having toured with a textile jacket for 4.5 years, I will never tour with a mesh jacket in my life.

Personally, I am not the biggest fan of waterproof jackets for touring in Indian conditions. I have a waterproof jacket and the airflow it allows is very limited, compared to a regular textile jacket.

Hence, I prefer and recommend jackets which allow you to control your airflow (which means no fixed mesh patches in the jacket which cannot be closed) and which have separate liners (above / inside is individual preference). You should really consider the Royal Enfield Nirvik and the Revit Sand 4 H20 as your next jacket for touring.
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 11:18   #4343
BHPian

I have been behind RE Dealer Voyage Motors to procure my size of Carapace Jeans for City/Short rides after seeing the review here. It has been more than a month and looks like they aren't stocking it in enough quantities.

My regular riding pants are an overkill for city rides and hence I avoid using it. But I need the protection because riding in the city is unpredictable at times.

Please help with any contacts in Mumbai for this.
Old 3rd January 2023, 12:30   #4344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAnna View Post
I have been behind RE Dealer Voyage Motors to procure my size of Carapace Jeans for City/Short rides after seeing the review here. It has been more than a month and looks like they aren't stocking it in enough quantities.

My regular riding pants are an overkill for city rides and hence I avoid using it. But I need the protection because riding in the city is unpredictable at times.

Please help with any contacts in Mumbai for this.
Why not order directly online unless you are not sure about the size and the fit?
Old 3rd January 2023, 13:11   #4345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
shyamg28, for the type of touring that you do, a textile jacket is a must. Please dont consider getting a mesh jacket for touring, more so since you already procured the Explorer V2 jacket. All that airflow is counterproductive for long days on the saddle. The Klim Induction is a mesh jacket. That said, the Induction would be a terrific jacket for commuting usage.

Even I sweat a lot. But having toured with a textile jacket for 4.5 years, I will never tour with a mesh jacket in my life.

Personally, I am not the biggest fan of waterproof jackets for touring in Indian conditions. I have a waterproof jacket and the airflow it allows is very limited, compared to a regular textile jacket.

Hence, I prefer and recommend jackets which allow you to control your airflow (which means no fixed mesh patches in the jacket which cannot be closed) and which have separate liners (above / inside is individual preference). You should really consider the Royal Enfield Nirvik and the Revit Sand 4 H20 as your next jacket for touring.
Hey Neil! Are you recommending textile for additional protection it offers? Or cool weather protection? Or both?
I think if it's protection primarily, it still makes sense & I can reconsider.
My ultimate intention is, one should want to wear the gear. Not have it be an irritant over a long ride
Mesh makes life easy. I work in layers as well. So an additional rain jacket even in cold conditions is actually damn good in preventing wind hitting you. Money aside, I never considered Gore-tex jackets because it could get crazy for me. Layers work fine.
Not so for pants, where putting on the rain pant is a nightmarish task. So I don't mind going Gore-tex for pants. A friend recently got the Klim Latitude and I do feel I could jump onto that bandwagon.

I have done a fair bit on mesh jackets alone, both south & north India. And find that even mesh can get decently hot haha! This, despite a base layer.
What starts to irritate after say, half a day's of riding with another half left, can be how the jacket sticks or feels when wearing it.
This is where I feel, something like a Klim Induction will help, even in stickiest of weather.

Long story short, I will consider the suggestion and try on the Nirvik some time
shyamg28 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 14:14   #4346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advstreak View Post
Why not order directly online unless you are not sure about the size and the fit?
I have never bought riding jeans. Hence, I wanted to try the fit once. The Voyage guy has said he is going to get some stock in my size. But that's been going on for a while now.

Actually, I am also not comfortable with buying gear online because of obvious reasons.
Old 10th January 2023, 08:00   #4347
BHPian

Was at EVM BigWing kochi yesterday and noticed they seem to have a 15% discount offer on riding gear. Picked up a rynox tornado pro 4 for about 6500.
I also bought an air filter. They didn't want to sell it to me until I informed them about the SC verdict on spare parts. Then they grudgingly relented.
surfatwork is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 13:09   #4348
BHPian

Hi all,

Posting pictures of my 2nd and 3rd riding gear additions after RE nirvik, I haven't had the opportunity to ride in a long time so hopefully end of this month I'll post my first impressions of nirvik along with Revit Titan gloves and A* drystar boots.

Got these from FC moto during black Friday and had these delivered to a friend in Germany. Just got my hands on these so couldn't contain the excitement (pardon for poor quality pictures). First impressions look good however the shoes in black don't seem to have the bling of the red or the neon ones. Paid 158 euros in total.

Thanks
Gaurav
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-img_20230110_125643.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20230110_125751.jpg  

Rapidholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 16:24   #4349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Neil! Are you recommending textile for additional protection it offers? Or cool weather protection? Or both?
I think if it's protection primarily, it still makes sense & I can reconsider.
shyamg28, in the Indian motorcycling community, there still is a lot of confusion on what a mesh jacket is and what a textile jacket is. Hence, enthusiasts are not able to discern the benefits of one, as compared to the other. Before I answer your question, let me take a step back to the basics. That will help clarify things for you and others like you, who have the same doubts.

A mesh jacket, by its very definition, will predominantly have mesh as part of its construction. Mesh sections allow in a lot more air than a thicker material. These mesh jackets are typically lightweight. In almost all cases, a mesh jacket offers lower abrasion resistance than a textile jacket.

A textile jacket, on the other hand, will predominantly have stronger, heavier material as part of its construction. These sections allow in a lot less air than a mesh jacket. These textile jackets are typically heavier than mesh jackets. In almost all cases, a textile jacket offers higher abrasion resistance than a mesh jacket.

In India, we have to consider the fact most riders use their bikes for commuting, weekend riding, touring etc. If you can have only one jacket, a mesh jacket makes sense. When it rains, put a rain liner on top. When its winter, wear a thermal liner inside etc.

However, that doesnt make a textile jacket useless in India.

In the city, you will be moving at slow speeds and need maximum airflow to keep your body cool. A mesh jacket does that very well.

On the highways, you will be moving at high speeds and do not need maximum airflow for 8 hours a day. You need to control the airflow.

This is why, mesh jackets have fixed and large mesh sections. On the other hand, textile jackets, come with pockets and flaps at the front and back, to control airflow.

Why is all of this important? Let me explain with two examples.

Assume you are going out on a night drive through MG Road. The weather is good and you have some nice music playing in your car. This is the perfect situation to roll down your windows and enjoy the cool breeze as you head down an empty Brigade Road.

Now, assume you have to drive from Bangalore to Madras, instead. Same weather. Same climate. Would you want to drive those 4 hours with the windows down? You wouldnt, because its too much airflow at much higher speeds.

Also, keep in mind that you are typically getting much better abrasion resistance and hence, better safety with a textile jacket. If you are going to be riding at 120 kmph on a highway and you have to have a small fall, would you rather you were wearing a mesh jacket or a textile jacket? The latter, obviously.

Quote:
Please dont consider getting a mesh jacket for touring, more so since you already procured the Explorer V2 jacket. All that airflow is counterproductive for long days on the saddle. The Klim Induction is a mesh jacket. That said, the Induction would be a terrific jacket for commuting usage.
Quote:
Hence my statements above.

Do go through some of the very useful posts from other veteran tourers on this thread, to get more insights into why a textile jacket is needed for touring.

Quote:
I have done a fair bit on mesh jackets alone, both south & north India. And find that even mesh can get decently hot haha! This, despite a base layer.
What starts to irritate after say, half a day's of riding with another half left, can be how the jacket sticks or feels when wearing it.
This is where I feel, something like a Klim Induction will help, even in stickiest of weather.
The Klim Induction will change nothing about your experience, since its another mesh jacket with the same form factor. All that you will get is much improved abrasion resistance and hence better safety. You will still be equally irritated after the same half day riding, with the same stickiness.

Quote:
My ultimate intention is, one should want to wear the gear. Not have it be an irritant over a long ride
A decision to wear riding gear is a state of mind ! It has nothing to do with mesh, textile or leather jackets
neil.jericho is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 12:32   #4350
BHPian

I was on the lookout for a black riding jeans to complement my blue Levis X Royal Enfield cordura riding jeans. Got the Bikeratti Raven Pro from Pathpavers. Ordered online and received within 4 days. It has got D3O level 2 armours on the knees and level 1 on the hips. I am mighty impressed with the overall fit and finish of the product.

Can easily pass off as regular jeans. Knee armours are easily removable.
The Riding Gear thread-20230111_113002.jpg

Reflective strips on the back pocket
The Riding Gear thread-20230111_113141.jpg

Pairs well with my Rynox Trident jacket.
The Riding Gear thread-20230111_113508.jpg

Kevlar lining on the front and back
The Riding Gear thread-20230111_114037.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-20230111_114018.jpg

The knee armour is inside a pouch, with velcro on it, and attaches to the velcro inside the armour slot.
The Riding Gear thread-20230111_114304.jpg

Double button closure.
The Riding Gear thread-20230111_114534.jpg
deerhunter is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed