Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2023, 08:02   #4381
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
Guys, does anybody own a cooling vest for summer riding? The only one I see now-a-days is from Bikeratti - https://www.bikeratti.com/category/bikeratti-glacier but some stores also stock BodyCool Pro - https://letsgearup.in/products/copy-...ool-pro-a-lime

Is it comfortable wearing beneath a riding jacket and are these effective in the first place? Some online reviews suggest they are good for 3-4 hours but would like to know any first-hand reviews from BHPians if possible.

I used this during my Dec-Jan23 ride through the south. Hit cold foggy Bangalore as well as hot Madurai & Rameshwaram.

https://rynoxgears.com/collections/base-layers

My first time using anything like this. Was very happy with it.
Old 4th March 2023, 12:53   #4382
BHPian

I wanted to ask more experienced riders, how do you folks carry your riding gear once you reach the destination.
Scenario:
If I am riding to a nearby location like a remote temple or waterfall at moutain top, or maybe a lake or dam, how should I carry my gear after reaching it?
I usually put my gloves in my helmet and carry my helmet in one hand. Boots and pants/jeans stays on. But what about the jacket? In winter it's not as big of a problem as it is in summers. How are you guys dealing with it?
Keep wearing it even if you feel uncomfortable and sweat like a pig?
Remove it and carry in other hand?
Carry a bag or fix a top box and put everything in there?
Or just leave everything on the bike, believing no one would fiddle with it?

Also I am usually riding alone so no option of keeping it in a friend's car

Regards,
MiSiMa
MiSiMa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 22:16   #4383
BHPian

Rynox has come out with a new riding jacket Cypher GT. It cites to be targeted for city commutes with CE Level 2 protectors and light weight (can't find the weight online). It is also the cheapest in the range of jackets by Rynox.

I have been on a hunt for a city commute jacket for a while now as road hazard levels seem to be increasing in Mumbai by the week. I can't find any video online or written review on the product.

I plan to check out the jacket in person tomorrow as well and will report back on the experience. Anyone with any personal experience of the Cypher yet?
Malliketh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 22:49   #4384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malliketh View Post
Rynox has come out with a new riding jacket Cypher GT……Anyone with any personal experience of the Cypher yet?
Just bought the Cypher today (along with the Urban X gloves) from my local store. Seems to be quite comfortable, will go on a 60km rush hour city ride tomorrow afternoon and report back

The Riding Gear thread-54c81d5260424f1799f1bfa4910ac1c7.jpeg

The Riding Gear thread-8da42eddf3fe469fa3f9b03ab89d95e7.jpeg

The Riding Gear thread-2e89638f5c2c4228a46d2641d4cf66f9.jpeg
boniver is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 10:52   #4385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSiMa View Post
I wanted to ask more experienced riders, how do you folks carry your riding gear once you reach the destination.
This is a real headache when touring solo, even during winters. On my day trips (200-300 kms), I have the following gears on me - jacket, pants, boots, balaclava, earplugs, helmet, gloves, hydration bag and another small soft bag containing tyre inflator, puncture kit, a small water bottle, selfie stick, cap, sunglasses, rain liners (if necessary) which goes in my Viaterra Seaty tailbag.

So far, I haven't found any solution other than wearing the jacket and carrying the helmet & bag in both hands. Usually, it involves walking with 6-8 kg of stuff, including everything. Honestly, visiting temples is also very difficult with all the riding gears I put on.

I have learnt that some trade-offs will have to be made if you want to do some proper sight-seeing while touring solo. For example, a top box to lock away stuff when away from your bike, lighter jackets and riding jeans instead of riding pants, urban boots instead of touring boots.
siddhant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 11:32   #4386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
For example, a top box to lock away stuff when away from your bike, lighter jackets and riding jeans instead of riding pants, urban boots instead of touring boots.
Currently top box/tail bag is the most sensible option. Unfortunately it affects the way the bike behaves on highways, so I am not a big fan of top boxes.

Was wondering if something like a backpack exists, which can neatly carry a jacket, helmet and gloves?
MiSiMa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 12:58   #4387
BHPian

Quote:
Carry a bag or fix a top box and put everything in there?
Or just leave everything on the bike, believing no one would fiddle with it?
I used to tie jacket & knee guards with bungee cord onto the bike. And once I got a top box, stuff everything inside & lock.
I'm quite shocked at how my bike has remained untouched in the most busiest of places to be honest. Maybe it's just a matter of luck, I don't know
I did have the rubber from a X-grip phone mount stolen once if that counts

If you find yourself doing this too often, and you find yourself stressing too much about your bike and stuff on it, then a top box should have you sorted.

For the helmet, if you're ok with it, get a lock. Helmet lock or one of those cycle locks. Should suffice. I haven't bothered with scratches or dust on my helmet until now so this method works for me.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-pxl_20230217_132647367.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-pxl_20230205_081745273.jpg  

Last edited by shyamg28 : 5th March 2023 at 13:07.
shyamg28 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 14:15   #4388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Currently top box/tail bag is the most sensible option. Unfortunately it affects the way the bike behaves on highways, so I am not a big fan of top boxes.

Was wondering if something like a backpack exists, which can neatly carry a jacket, helmet and gloves?
+1

Although top boxes are the best lockable solution I too hate the way they look (pizza delivery ) and it would change the riding dynamics to a certain extent for sure. Mainly hate the looks, but I guess if regular practical usage overshadows the looks/dynamics then one might have to bite the bullet.

No backpack could carry a helmet, proper riding jacket with armour and gloves.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 15:20   #4389
BHPian

Pinky-bridge issue:
I got rynox full gauntlet gloves (with the pinky bridge), and I ride a std 350 ci and it's clutch operation has always been heavy and the lever always bumps to my ring finger when I change the gears (always has been).

So now I have a problem, earlier even though I used my 2 finger (index and middle) to depress the lever, I would lift my ring finger too away from the lever operation but now since it is connected to the pinky I will either have to lift all my fingers (which is quite unsafe if off-roading/panic situation) or suffer gear changing issues as the lever is blocked by the ring finger still between the lever and handle bar.

I don't have any free play in the clutch lever as of now (I am going to create 1-1.5 mm of free play) so I think this issue will deteriorate further then.

Is cutting off the pinky-bridge for the clutch hand the only way forward? I will visit the mechanic again in 2-3 days do let me know if there are any more suggestions. Can anything can be done within the shifter cover (std 350 ci 4 speed with neutral finder) or should I let the bullet be as it is and just snip the pinky bridge?
Old 5th March 2023, 15:57   #4390
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Scenario:
If I am riding to a nearby location like a remote temple or waterfall at moutain top, or maybe a lake or dam, how should I carry my gear after reaching it?
1. It would have helped knowing what bike you use. From your profile I’m guessing you’re touring on a KTM 390A. I’m responding further with this assumption.

2. Use a good quality hard case lockable top box. It will fit at least your helmet, gloves etc., maybe even some valuables.

3. You could consider using similar lockable side panniers for the rest. If that’s not desirable another option could be to carry a heavy duty long chain lock in your top box. You can run it through the jacket arm(s) and run the lock through a part of the bike like the rear grab rail handle or handlebars or something similar. If you’re getting in for a dip in a lake, you could do the same with your riding pants too.

4. As far as riding boots are concerned, perhaps just ensure your choice of riding boots are ones that are reasonably comfortable to walk in as well. Else I can’t see any option except lockable hard side panniers that will keep your boots too.

5. Personally, riding solo doesn’t really lend itself well to leaving stuff and going off on a hike. Above is just ideas to try in whatever way you can use best.

EDIT

Quote:
Sorry I missed this later post of yours. If the jacket does not have a back protector I think it can be folded small enough to fit into a large back pack. Again, perhaps a mesh jacket works best to fold in and fit instead of the heavier and stiffer textile ones.

ViaTerra makes a really nice compact helmet bag which also has a strap. Can be slung on or even worn like a backpack itself if you’re not shoving the jacket into a backpack.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th March 2023 at 08:39. Reason: Hyperlink
Axe77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 19:03   #4391
BHPian

Quote:
Cypher GT. Anyone with any personal experience of the Cypher yet?
Well, it took me under 24 hours to answer my own question. Headed to my nearest Rynox store in Thane to try on the jacket. To my surprise the jacket has been out for 10 months. Still don't understand how there are no review videos on YouTube.

I was clear in my intent of the jacket to be used only for city commute where I don't end up like a steam momo by the time I reach my workplace. The store manager suggested the jacket was exactly developed for this. For me 'S' was a snug fit with armors in the right place and fitting the physique (5'7" male with average frame).

The blue and black color looked to be the most understated colors - which serves my purpose of not drawing eyes while using it on the daily to work and in general in the city.

I went to the store with my eyes on the blue color but in person black seemed to be the perfect color which would complement most t-shirt / shirt colors I would wear under it.

Attaching pictures at the end for reference.

Quick review -
  • The jacket looks sharp! When off the bike, with the zippers open - the jacket can pass off as an 'almost' normal jacket. Hence see myself wearing it to a restaurant and then placing it over the chair.
  • I rode home for 20 mins in scorching sun with a petrol stop with enough traffic signals - the jacket seems very well ventilated. The jacket seems hopeful to do what it is expected to. I have worn the Rynox Tornado within the city and the difference is night and day (as expected between a mesh vs. textile jacket)
  • The jacket is also light which should help when needed lug it around (it fits my ASG 42 topbox)

Will use it this week for my office runs in Mumbai traffic and report back with extended use. Winters are long gone here so it will be a true test.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-img_5658.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_2371.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_2370.jpg  

Malliketh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 23:00   #4392
BHPian

Looks like the launch of Viaterra Munro Version 2 riding gear is just around the corner. To avoid confusion/ambiguity with the Version 1, they are making the Munro V2 tailor made. Please read through the product description. Since they are being "tailor-made", they do cannot be returned or replaced.

https://viaterragear.com/collections...ing-pants-test

I welcome this move from Viaterra as I believe it will be very beneficial to people like me who do not confirm to the standards in the society ( size, height and shape intended, not the law )

As with new launches, I am thrown into the next round of confusion whether

1. to go for this Munro riding pant and be guaranteed perfect fit
or
2. choose the Rev'it Sands 4 pant to go along with the Rev'it Sands 4 jacket and have a CE certified peace of mind about the quality.

Looking to forward to hear from the experience of current Rev'it Sands 4 pant and the Viaterra Munro users.
skviknaraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 23:27   #4393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Scenario:
I usually put my gloves in my helmet and carry my helmet in one hand. Boots and pants/jeans stays on. But what about the jacket? In winter it's not as big of a problem as it is in summers. How are you guys dealing with it?
For me, the gloves get tucked into the helmet, which is then carried in one hand. I usually walk around wearing my jacket. If it really bothers you, the best solution is to get a top box and / or panniers.

Quote:
To my surprise the jacket has been out for 10 months. Still don't understand how there are no review videos on YouTube.
Thanks for sharing your initial review of the Cypher jacket. Im certain that the jacket has been on sale for less than a month. A few weeks ago, Rynox inaugurated their exclusive store in Cochin and the jacket wasnt released at that time. This explains why all the Indian Youtube "reviewers" (99.99% of these Indian motorcycle influencers lack any real knowledge of riding gear) havent latched onto it yet, in their never ending pursuit of content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skviknaraj View Post
Looks like the launch of Viaterra Munro Version 2 riding gear is just around the corner. To avoid confusion/ambiguity with the Version 1, they are making the Munro V2 tailor made. Please read through the product description. Since they are being "tailor-made", they do cannot be returned or replaced.

https://viaterragear.com/collections...ing-pants-test

I welcome this move from Viaterra as I believe it will be very beneficial to people like me who do not confirm to the standards in the society ( size, height and shape intended, not the law )

As with new launches, I am thrown into the next round of confusion whether

1. to go for this Munro riding pant and be guaranteed perfect fit
or
2. choose the Rev'it Sands 4 pant to go along with the Rev'it Sands 4 jacket and have a CE certified peace of mind about the quality.

Looking to forward to hear from the experience of current Rev'it Sands 4 pant and the Viaterra Munro users.
If the Sand 4 pants fall in your budget, then its a no brainer!
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 06:25   #4394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Im certain that the jacket has been on sale for less than a month. A few weeks ago, Rynox inaugurated their exclusive store in Cochin and the jacket wasnt released at that time. This explains why all the Indian Youtube "reviewers" (99.99% of these Indian motorcycle influencers lack any real knowledge of riding gear)
Agree 100%. My disdain for gear reviews which are 10 mins of only stating the armor level and color options is very high. For the cypher, I was only looking for comments on one thing - ventilation in city traffic. I would be my own test mule now

On the Cypher - forgot to add earlier. It comes with all L2 SafeTech armor (elbow, shoulder and back). Chest comes with foam padding with an option to upgrade to L2 armor for Rs. 950. So the only compromise would be on the abrasion safety (mitigated by expected low speeds in the city) while impact safety remains high.
Malliketh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 14:35   #4395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
If you find yourself doing this too often, and you find yourself stressing too much about your bike and stuff on it, then a top box should have you sorted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
+1

Although top boxes are the best lockable solution I too hate the way they look (pizza delivery ) and it would change the riding dynamics to a certain extent for sure. Mainly hate the looks, but I guess if regular practical usage overshadows the looks/dynamics then one might have to bite the bullet.

No backpack could carry a helmet, proper riding jacket with armour and gloves.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
1. It would have helped knowing what bike you use. From your profile I’m guessing you’re touring on a KTM 390A. I’m responding further with this assumption.

2. Use a good quality hard case lockable top box. It will fit at least your helmet, gloves etc., maybe even some valuables.

5. Personally, riding solo doesn’t really lend itself well to leaving stuff and going off on a hike. Above is just ideas to try in whatever way you can use best.
Sorry for the ambiguity, but yes I was asking for the 390 Adv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
For me, the gloves get tucked into the helmet, which is then carried in one hand. I usually walk around wearing my jacket. If it really bothers you, the best solution is to get a top box and / or panniers.
Thanks everyone for the inputs. I have decided to get a top box, looking for something like SHAD top boxes, will choose the smallest size that can accommodate a helmet and riding jacket.

Regard,
MiSiMa
MiSiMa is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks