Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2016, 08:03   #2881
Senior - BHPian

Speed also matters. When you crash, most cases you will above 60km/hr. Most good quality jeans should survive. I use Scorpion Covert Pro with hip protector and Dianese knee protectors.
mail4ajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 10:02   #2882
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

On the highway, it may be nice perhaps to wear all that "gear" but in the city?? I ordered an Aspida Helios mesh jacket with knox armor. Wore it once and since then it's lying in the cupboard. Insanely uncomfortable. Like sitting in a sauna. And too heavy to lug around when you're not wearing it.
On sale now.
Old 7th September 2016, 10:44   #2883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Speed also matters. When you crash, most cases you will above 60km/hr. Most good quality jeans should survive.
Actually most jeans will not protect against a >60km/hr crash, they will rip right off. The shearing force of impact at those speeds is really high. The Bull-It jeans in the video actually well to hold up so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
On the highway, it may be nice perhaps to wear all that "gear" but in the city?? I ordered an Aspida Helios mesh jacket with knox armor. Wore it once and since then it's lying in the cupboard. Insanely uncomfortable. Like sitting in a sauna. And too heavy to lug around when you're not wearing it.
On sale now.
Sweat is better than road rash mate. And you can get bad road rash from a 30-40kmph fall - so the logic that it won't happen in city doesn't hold. As they say, dress for the fall not for the weather!
niranjanrvce is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 12:27   #2884
Senior - BHPian

I have the sidi st air boots. And they are dam uncomfortable once off the bike. Are there any gel soles i can get which kind of cover the toes too.
While riding i dont really realise it that much as there a lot of concentration on the bike and other factors. But once off it gets difficult to walk in.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th September 2016 at 06:14. Reason: Please use the classified section only to buy or sell items. Thanks!
Old 11th September 2016, 01:09   #2885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
I have the sidi st air boots. And they are dam uncomfortable once off the bike. Are there any gel soles i can get which kind of cover the toes too.
While riding i dont really realise it that much as there a lot of concentration on the bike and other factors. But once off it gets difficult to walk in.
Use the Icon D3O inner comfort insole. Alternatively you can even order the same piece which is available from Forcefield armor. Rider reviews on Revzilla are positive for both. There's also a gel inner sole available at the pavers store that you could also give a shot at.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/i...t-insoles-2014

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/f...ts-inner-soles
REManiac78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 21:48   #2886
BHPian

I'm looking to upgrade my Spartan Helios dual density back armour. Found these sas tec level 2 back protectors.

http://solaceintl.in/index.php?route...tegory&path=94

But I'm not sure if they'll fit. Anybody having experience with them? Other back protector suggestions are also welcome
Old 26th September 2016, 18:50   #2887
BHPian

My riding gear: (LONG POST)

Biking Brotherhood Ladakh Jacket Product Page
Rynox Advento Riding Pants Product Page
Probiker Gloves
LS2 Lunatic Fringe Helmet Product Page
Woodland Boots / Nike Shoes

---

Biking Brotherhood Ladakh Jacket - My Review.

The good -
Jacket fits well, is great for summer and winter riding, the build quality of the outer material is amazing.
Ansar (the owner/ creator) is really a great guy and he communicates well. Can be customized to size too.
Metal shoulder outer protection.
Excellent quality zippers.

The bad - (the really bad part)
- CE level 1 armour is good but not that great. I will soon change the protective armours of the elbow and shoulder with SASTEC CE level 2 armour as posted by the above poster. (If the jacket comes with that protection it will be a killer combo).

- IT IS NOT WATER PROOF OR EVEN WATER RESISTANT. On my last ride I got all wet from inside even while wearing the rain liner in mild rains. My friend who uses the same jacket, unfortunately his phone got damaged as it got all wet and which was housed in the jacket pocket which is supposedly waterproof.

Would I recommend it?
Yes for the price and value for money,

Planned upgrade : CE Level 2 Armour in the same jacket

-----

Rynox Advento Riding Pant - My review

The good:

The material is excellent and it really is well built for the price it is offered. I am really impressed with the build quality.
The Knox protectors are really excellent. They give a lot of protection to the knees and hips with those CE rated protectors.
The zippers are of very good quality.
The velcro and zipper combination is great for adjustments and bathroom breaks.
Exterior rain liner.

The bad

The pants get a little too high from the ankle while riding as soon as the knees are bent.
The Knee protectors have to be carefully placed on the velcro (adjustable), they could have made it integrated in the pant itself.
The ventilation is not that great but this isn't a big problem as such unless we ride in extreme hot conditions.

Would I recommend it?
Yes

Planned Upgrade: will extend the bottom with some velcro add on fabric.

I use these tights inside the Rynox pants which are extremely comfortable for long rides.

-----

Probiker Gloves: My Review

The Good:

Cheap (Very cheap on the pocket but materials too)
Something is better than nothing sorts.

The bad:

Level of protection is almost 0,
The material used is very cheap,

Would I recommend it?
No, and will never use them again.

Planned upgrade - still researching for good gloves preferably all weather or will buy separate for rains.

---
LS2 Helmet : My review

The good

Great fit,
Better than the cheaper ones,
Entry level performance helmet
Good build quality
Good interior materials
Washable liners
Availability of visors, liners and spares

The bad

The helmet although better than the cheaper ones available here, it is still not extremely accident safe like the more expensive ones.
The visor fogs up quickly during cold weathers.

Would I recommend it?
Yes,
The shell could be more hard and protective but at the given price I am happy. Maybe that's why the AGV and ARAI helmets etc are expensive.

Planned upgrades: None as yet.

I use these 3m goggles inside my helmet for short night rides. Although I have a clear visor for long night rides.

---

While the woodland's are great leather boots for riding and nike's with rain protectors in rain or casual riding but I am still researching which ones to buy as proper riding protective boots.

Cheers !

Last edited by The Great : 26th September 2016 at 18:56.
Old 26th September 2016, 19:22   #2888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Probiker Gloves: My Review

Planned upgrade - still researching for good gloves preferably all weather or will buy separate for rains.
Good set of gear except for the gloves and shoes bit. For the gloves, a humble suggestion is to keep the summer and winter gloves separate. The all weather will simply cook your hand during summer/warm weather rides. Not worth it. Better to get one full gauntlet/semi gauntlet leather gloves and supplement it with a winter/water proof glove if you feel the need to.

Also try and get a pair of riding boots since the Woodland/Nike would not protect the toes/ankle during an impact/fall. You have plethora of options now ranging from desi products to top of the line from A*, Dainese etc! Happy choosing.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 19:29   #2889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
I'm looking to upgrade my Spartan Helios dual density back armour. Found these sas tec level 2 back protectors.

http://solaceintl.in/index.php?route...tegory&path=94

But I'm not sure if they'll fit. Anybody having experience with them? Other back protector suggestions are also welcome
Thought i'd share this for anyone looking to upgrade their SPG Helios back protector. Ordered SAS-TEC SC-1/14 XL Back Protector insert after a lot of research online. Compared the shape and dimensions of current dual density foam and it's knox replacement with the Sas Tec inserts. There are two different inserts available - SC-1/14 XL and SC-1/15 in solace store. Both are EN 1621-2 Level 2 rated. SC-1/14 XL had the best matching dimensions to the spartan helios default back protector insert

http://solaceintl.in/index.php?route...product_id=140

Got the delivery today and it is a perfect fit in Spartan helios . Damage to the wallet 1550 INR. Money well spent i would say!

The Riding Gear thread-img_20160926_171418.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-img_20160926_171512.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-img_20160926_171529.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-img_20160926_171700.jpg
b16h22 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 19:34   #2890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
Thought i'd share this for anyone looking to upgrade their SPG Helios back protector.
Thanks a lot for this feedback. Can you please confirm if it has made the jacket any lighter than it was earlier? Have heard and read that SAS-TEC armor is lighter in weight compared to Knox armor.
Old 26th September 2016, 19:38   #2891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Thanks a lot for this feedback. Can you please confirm if it has made the jacket any lighter than it was earlier? Have heard and read that SAS-TEC armor is lighter in weight compared to Knox armor.
My jacket had the default dual density foam. Compared to that the Sas Tec insert is certainly heavier. But the jacket itself isn't uncomfortably heavy after the swap
b16h22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 13:09   #2892
CGB
BHPian

Hello All,
I have a Helios jacket and riding pants for long rides, and now looking for lighter yet armoured jacket for city purposes. Jacket, knee armour and gloves will do. Can you people suggest some ideas?

Had two minor accidents inside city limits and wounded. Dont want to make it happen again.
Old 5th October 2016, 16:54   #2893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post
Hello All,
I have a Helios jacket and riding pants for long rides, and now looking for lighter yet armoured jacket for city purposes. Jacket, knee armour and gloves will do. Can you people suggest some ideas?
:
Our friendly mod mobike008 has a A-Stars or AGV jacket in yellow and if i remember right, it is a light weight armored jacket for city use that he bought it. He may throw more light on it. All other desi brands come with either dual density foam which makes them heavy.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 17:31   #2894
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post

Had two minor accidents inside city limits and wounded. Dont want to make it happen again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Our friendly mod mobike008 has a A-Stars or AGV jacket in yellow and if i remember right, it is a light weight armored jacket for city use that he bought it. He may throw more light on it. All other desi brands come with either dual density foam which makes them heavy.
Compliments on your good memory Abhinav.

I still use the yellow jacket which btw was from X-Element and came darn cheap. Around 3K (love it as it's feather lite and due to being full mesh is airy) and good for short rides

I use my AGV jacket for longer rides as its fully armoured and much better fit

CGB : Here is the link of my yellow jacket...I'm a bright color fanboy

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3460419
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 21:18   #2895
BHPian

Riding Gear - origins and originality !

Found an interesting article on the origins of Riding Gear. The language may leave a lot to be desired, in political correctness, but the content seems accurate and authentic.

(PS: Found examples of revit gloves. These may be authentic , or maybe not. Aliexpress is full of such genuine looking stuff. Who knows, they even might be. Anyone used these?)

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 5th October 2016 at 21:24.

Most Viewed