Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2023, 13:46   #4591
BHPian

Re: Life of Armour in jackets ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srini76 View Post
Hi,

Was curious to know if the inserts of a jacket have a shelf life, yes surely efficacy will change either + or - is a given but is there a recommended shelf life. I ask cause I use a spartan jacket with CE2 inserts and a Eva foam back - clearly the EVA foam is disintegrating albeit slowly and the entire setup is about 6 years old .......
Hello Srini,

Jackets and protectors also have a shelf life. Based on the type of armor, I would say a maximum of 5 years. This also depends on how frequent you use the jacket.

The Jackets usually are made of Cordura ( a type of rayon/polymer), hence the more it is exposed to sun, the more it will disintegrate.

Based on the user manual / label provided with my jacket, the recommendation was to change the jacket and inserts every 5 years.

A thumb rule would be to change inserts when the foam starts disintegrating and D30 armor becomes stiff or has cracks formed on them. As for jackets, when the stitches comes out
skviknaraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 14:01   #4592
BHPian

Re: Life of Armour in jackets ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skviknaraj View Post
Hello Srini,

Jackets and protectors also have a shelf life. Based on the type of armor, I would say a maximum of 5 years. This also depends on how frequent you use the jacket.

D30 armor becomes stiff or has cracks formed on them. As for jackets, when the stitches comes out
Thanks SKVI,

That's an input which is enough to warrant a full armour change at the very least. If I can find a full set of fitting CE Level 2 armour good , else will replace the jacket which will include a chest protector. But thanks a ton for the input bud, really helps. It's anyways past 5 - which also means my knee guard needs a look into ! and this time I prefer to go external ones , last was a internal knee guard

Thanks a ton,

Srinivas
Old 18th September 2023, 10:52   #4593
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
Royal Enfield simply overprices it’s products. That pair of boots is similar to my Raida discover boots and costs 5.5k. Jackets worth 8k are 14k.
Is the safety rating and actual protection provided by raida discover and RE e39 similar? I am looking to buy either the e39 or the cabo wp.
Old 18th September 2023, 11:54   #4594
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
Is the safety rating and actual protection provided by raida discover and RE e39 similar? I am looking to buy either the e39 or the cabo wp.
Dont even go near Raida. Junk. The Cabo is made by TCX. Rebadged by RE.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 12:08   #4595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Thanks, this is exactly why I was surprised by the post. Even though I have minimal experience with riding gears, the raida shoes immediately felt of poor make when checked at the store.

Loved the RE collection compared to the host of raida, axor, tarmac shoes i checked at the store. What I have realised is that most of these shoes have EN ISO 20345 ratings. I could find only RE E-39 and cabo wp with proper CE certification for use on motorcycle.

Any other recommendations for boots under 12k. How does the rest of the RE collection like platoon, etc compare to cabo? The show will be used for daily commutes and weekend rides.
kedar3223 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 13:56   #4596
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank
Any other recommendations for boots under 12k. How does the rest of the RE collection like platoon, etc compare to cabo? The show will be used for daily commutes and weekend rides.
I would stick to the TCX rebadged boots ONLY.
Old 20th September 2023, 22:48   #4597
BHPian

I am looking for some decent boots, preferably rain proof. Going by the discussion over the past few pages here, I tried RE's E-39 short riding boots and found them to be extremely heavy and uncomfortable. Are they supposed to be like that? I can't imagine walking even 100 meters with those or wearing them for more than a couple of hours. Now, I am wondering if I should go for a simple leather ankle boot that will be more comfortable to wear.

I understand the safety part, but just not sure if I can ever get used to the heaviness of the riding boots.
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 10:36   #4598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Now, I am wondering if I should go for a simple leather ankle boot that will be more comfortable to wear.
I have something like this in mind. This one is expensive, but I can get them online much cheaper. These are probably not completely rain-proof, but seem like they will offer decent protection plus the comfort and appeal factor.
I ride a Honda CB350 and always use the rear gear shifter for shifting up. TIA for the advice.
Old 21st September 2023, 10:47   #4599
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for some decent boots, preferably rain proof. Going by the discussion over the past few pages here, I tried RE's E-39 short riding boots and found them to be extremely heavy and uncomfortable. Are they supposed to be like that? I can't imagine walking even 100 meters with those or wearing them for more than a couple of hours. Now, I am wondering if I should go for a simple leather ankle boot that will be more comfortable to wear.

I understand the safety part, but just not sure if I can ever get used to the heaviness of the riding boots.
Motorcycle riding boots with the right safety ratings are heavy because they have armour at the right places. You will get used to them in no time. Do not buy some no name brand in the guise of safety and style.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 11:00   #4600
BHPian

Quote:
Motorcycle riding boots with the right safety ratings are heavy because they have armour at the right places. You will get used to them in no time. Do not buy some no name brand in the guise of safety and style.
Thanks RL. My choice is between RE's short riding boots and regular branded leather boots such as woodland. I am not keen on Orazo or similar that is being discussed (or rather discouraged) here.

Good to know that I will get used to them. But trying them on in the shop, it was not at all like that. It was as if someone was tugging your feet. Perhaps, I will try to rent a pair and see how it feels.
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 11:43   #4601
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks RL. My choice is between RE's short riding boots and regular branded leather boots such as woodland. I am not keen on Orazo or similar that is being discussed (or rather discouraged) here.

Good to know that I will get used to them. But trying them on in the shop, it was not at all like that. It was as if someone was tugging your feet. Perhaps, I will try to rent a pair and see how it feels.
There is something called Break In. The new boots need to be worn and used regularly to break in. Once broken in, they will feel like second skin. Wear these boots around the house first, walk in them squat in them, and stretch them out wearing them. Then begin riding with them.
Old 21st September 2023, 21:21   #4602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I recently bought the RE's Windfarer jackets. I have a question about the fitment - are the jackets supposed to fit tight? I mean, these are fine around shoulder area, but bit loose around stomach area when worn without the thermal lining, even with the adjustments fully tightened. Is this okay?
This is perfectly fine. The Royal Enfield Windfarer jacket is likely made with an average Indian rider's physique in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skviknaraj View Post
So a little extra room in the belly area should not be a concern. Filling that room as years pass by should be a concern
This is one of the funniest quotes on this thread

Quote:
Question 1: Should I go for full gauntlet considering that I'll be using them for daily commute? For a full gauntlet I need to stretch to around 5.5 6k which I am ok with, my concern is more focused on the comfort as I do not have any experience with them.
Ive been riding with only full gauntlets for over a decade now and strongly suggest that you use them over regular short gloves. Once you get used to them, you will never ride with regular short gloves.

Quote:
Currently evaluating between these 2
Current choice(easy availability, casual looks, EN 13634:2017 rating, TCX make): RE Cabo WP

RE e39 short is it worth stretching to these over the Cabo?
Quite a few TBHPians, including me, have shared our thoughts on this thread regarding this. Pick one for the convenience and give up a modicum of safety. Pick the other for safety and give up a modicum of comfort. Its your choice.

Quote:
I couldnt have said it better. I was trying to locate that original post from TBHPian 100kmph in which he stated that Royal Enfield is simply overpricing its products and that Raidas stuff is good. I will be very interested to hear why he made such an assertion. Honestly, I cant think of a single knowledgeable motorcyclist who would share that perspective. Maybe there is something new that we can all learn from his experiences.

Quote:
As someone who has owned ankle length boots and full length racing boots for several years and walked around in them a lot (think in kilometers, not minutes), I can assure you that getting adjusted to the Royal Enfield E39 will not take you more than 5 - 10 minutes. Its just a rider's initial mental block. We have all been there. Once you get used to riding with purpose built riding boots, you are not likely to ride without them.
neil.jericho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 10:32   #4603
Mik
BHPian

I am looking for a ankle length casual light weight boot/sneaker (so no DM/Orazo heavy stuff) with a built in toe shifter padding which is very neutral and can be passed off as regular boots/sneakers in office.
Evaluated some RE sneakers but they don't have the toe shifter pad inbuilt.
Budget ~ 7k

Any leads would be great.
Old 22nd September 2023, 18:21   #4604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
I am looking for a ankle length casual light weight boot/sneaker (so no DM/Orazo heavy stuff) with a built in toe shifter padding which is very neutral and can be passed off as regular boots/sneakers in office.
Evaluated some RE sneakers but they don't have the toe shifter pad inbuilt.
Budget ~ 7k

Any leads would be great.
Check out the Viaterra Bronson boots or the Trip Machine range of boots. The bronson comes with SAS TEC ankle protection and the Tripmachine derby boots come with reinforcement at the toe box, ankle and the sole. I've been using the Tripmachine boots for everyday use and they are comfortable enough for everyday use
2legit2quit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 14:43   #4605

Have started hunting the market for a good riding jacket which will be primarily used during weekend rides or slightly long trips on the Triumph Speed 400. Did visit a couple of stores in my locality for checking them out.

A few options with CE Level 2 protection tried out are as follows:

1. Korda Metro
2. Raida BOLT
3. DSG Aire

The first two seemed a bit flimsy and even the fitting also was not to my liking.
The DSG also had an additional chest protector which the first two lacked completely. Also, the store owner was a very enthusiastic person and explained why the DSG is better than Raida and Korda, both in terms of impact protectors as well as the textile quality.

Came to know that DSG were one of the first importers of Alpinestars in India.

W.r.t. fitting, I liked the DSG a lot. Do you guys also agree on the fact that DSG jackets are good in the 5K to 7K bracket? I am also open to try any other brand on your recommendations.

I have also started looking at a few riding gloves and recently came across an advertisement of Tiiva Street Gloves for around 3K. Any idea as to how they are?
Any recommendations on other brands of gloves would be really helpful.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks