Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2023, 22:55   #4576
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Slim picking: little or no success in getting something because there is not very much of it remaining. It's a figure of speech.
Thanks for the clarification. For a moment there i thought 'Slim Pickings' was the name of the store! That's how desperate i am to find something in this neck of the woods. Will checkout Kasturiba road, Orion motors and Lalbagh Main Road. Do they stock LS2s there as well?
Old 3rd September 2023, 00:15   #4577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Thanks for the clarification. For a moment there i thought 'Slim Pickings' was the name of the store! That's how desperate i am to find something in this neck of the woods. Will checkout Kasturiba road, Orion motors and Lalbagh Main Road. Do they stock LS2s there as well?
Kasturba Road place didn't have LS2s, only KYTs. You'll find LS2s in Adheswar Ryders Arena and a bunch of other stores on Lalbagh Main Road. Orion should also have LS2s.
Old 3rd September 2023, 11:52   #4578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebengalee View Post

Is there anything I can do to fix this? I'm pretty handy with DIY stuff and I've seen Youtube videos where people put strips of Lays/Kurkure packets on the fingertips to make non-touch gloves touch compatible. Does anyone have any experience recovering touch sensitivity of their gloves?
You may want to try out this product.

Oxford Smart fingers

Have not used the product.
skviknaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 11:56   #4579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skviknaraj View Post
You may want to try out this product.

Oxford Smart fingers

Have not used the product.
Looks perfect. Maybe I'll buy these after experimenting with the chips packets and/or graphene spray first
Old 3rd September 2023, 15:15   #4580
BHPian

Any reviews on Alpinestars Tech 7 MX boots (not the Enduro one) ?
Need to know how their soles fare in normal terrain grip (while walking on off road / rocky terrain).
Old 9th September 2023, 18:06   #4581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malliketh View Post
Congrats on the purchase. Do share your review of the shoes when worn out on a regular day, especially if you get a chance to use them in the rain.
Today morning, I rode with the TCX Cabo WP boots in light but continuous rain for about 10 minutes and no water seeped through. Just have to make sure that the laces are tied properly.

Anyway, the boot has held up really well over multiple short rides so far but today, the shift mark protector (has an elastic band to wrap it around) just tore off while I tried to adjust it during my ride. So, the entire ride back, I was shifting without it and that seemed to have already made some scuff mark on the left boot.

The Riding Gear thread-img_20230909_172909763.jpg
siddhant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 01:22   #4582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
Anyway, the boot has held up really well over multiple short rides so far but today, the shift mark protector (has an elastic band to wrap it around) just tore off while I tried to adjust it during my ride. So, the entire ride back, I was shifting without it and that seemed to have already made some scuff mark on the left boot.
The scuffed left boot is a motorcyclist's badge of honour! My Cabos are around 18 months old and they've held up fantastically. Just clean them regularly and keep the leather moisturised. They should last a very long time
thebengalee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 19:45   #4583
Senior - BHPian

Today checked out below 2 jackets:

1. Rynox Tornado 4 - Gets elbow, shoulder, back and chest level 2 armors
2. Viaterra Spencer - Gets elbow, shoulder and back level 2 armors

For Viaterra, chest armor is extra 1.5K for a L2 guard. I liked the fitting of Rynox Tornado more.

Just wanted to know if Tornado 4 is a good choice as a beginner jacket.
Old 12th September 2023, 14:31   #4584
BHPian

I recently bought the RE's Windfarer jackets. I have a question about the fitment - are the jackets supposed to fit tight? I mean, these are fine around shoulder area, but bit loose around stomach area when worn without the thermal lining, even with the adjustments fully tightened. Is this okay? The arms, length and fit seem perfect, just the lower body part without the thermal lining feels a bit loose. But I do feel the jacket feels bit comfortable because of the additional room, but I am just not sure how it affects the safety part.
prakash_ajp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 10:48   #4585
BHPian

I am looking to buy a new pair of gloves and shoes. My usage will be daily commute and weekend rides.

After going through a lot of content on this thread and YouTube videos, I have arrived at the following criteria:

Gloves: Good breathable pairs with good knuckle and slide protections and CE rating. Brands that I have narrowed down to are viaterra, rynox and RE. My Budget is around 4k.

Question 1: Should I go for full gauntlet considering that I'll be using them for daily commute? For a full gauntlet I need to stretch to around 5.5 6k which I am ok with, my concern is more focused on the comfort as I do not have any experience with them.

Question 2: Is there a clear winner wrt build quality and protection between these 3 brands?

Question 3: What I have noticed is that RE and viaterra has CE rated gloved with Knox protection for both knuckles as well as palm. Is this a superior configuration to rynox which have Knox palm slider but HERATROM knuckle protector?

Gloves being considered:

Current Preference(Knox Protection, mid length, quality felt good upon initial contact): Viaterra Holeshot

RE Roadbound

RE Stalwart

RE Vamos

Rynox Tornado Pro 3

Rynox Urban X

________

Shoes: Got to know that most of the so called CE rated boots are actually rated for personal protection EN ISO 20345 rather than motorcycle safety. Have a budget of around 10k. Need something that is not over the top, durable and safe.

Question 1: How good are the Royal Enfield shoes like Kargil, Huntsman, Platoons . Is there a difference in protection provided by these and the Cabo?

Question 2: Any boot recommendation in the under 12k price bracket? How do brands like raida, tarmac, Falco compare to these RE boots?

Currently evaluating between these 2
Current choice(easy availability, casual looks, EN 13634:2017 rating, TCX make): RE Cabo WP

RE e39 short is it worth stretching to these over the Cabo?

What would be the recommended purchase?
kedar3223 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 11:55   #4586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
I am looking to buy a new pair of gloves and shoes. My usage will be daily commute and weekend rides.
Gloves: Good breathable pairs with good knuckle and slide protections and CE rating. Brands that I have narrowed down to are viaterra, rynox and RE. My Budget is around 4k.
@kedar3223, based on your budget and if you're going for ONE all round pair of gloves, the Viaterra Holeshot is the best! I love it and now use it for touring as well.

If you were willing to pick up 2 pair of gloves, one primarily for city (comfort, being primary for you) and one for touring, then you can try out the RE gloves as well. Nothing fits me as snugly as RE gloves. And they're good quality too.

These are what I have at present -

RE Street Ace, RE Windstorm & Viaterra Holdeshot -

The Riding Gear thread-20230913_114136.jpg

The Holeshot's leather needs (very) slight breaking-in but I love it for it's thickness as well as perforation. The thickness helps provide girth on the handle grips which make it easier to wring the throttle over long hours.
The Riding Gear thread-20230913_114145.jpg

The Stree Ace is excellent for everyday commuting. Snug.
The Riding Gear thread-20230913_114153.jpg

The Windstorm has an ace up its sleeve (or forefinger if you will) - a visor wiper protusion, necessary during rainy season.
They're supposed to be black but have seen ~20k kms on them hence the fade.
The Riding Gear thread-20230913_114157.jpg

End of the day, nothing will give you as much protection as a pair of well made full gauntlet gloves. Make a conscious choice

Last edited by shyamg28 : 13th September 2023 at 11:59.
shyamg28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 12:28   #4587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
@kedar3223, based on your budget and if you're going for ONE all round pair of gloves, the Viaterra Holeshot is the best! I love it and now use it for touring as well.

End of the day, nothing will give you as much protection as a pair of well made full gauntlet gloves. Make a conscious choice
Thanks for the review. And yes I am looking for a do it all pair of gloves and boots for now. Not yet been to the RE store, but based on my first impressions of the rynox and viaterra gloves, I felt that the Holeshot and urban x are well suited for my primary need. How do these hold up in the rains?
Old 13th September 2023, 12:36   #4588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
I am looking to buy a new pair of gloves.

Question 1: Should I go for full gauntlet considering that I'll be using them for daily commute? For a full gauntlet I need to stretch to around 5.5 6k which I am ok with, my concern is more focused on the comfort as I do not have any experience with them.

Gloves being considered:

Current Preference(Knox Protection, mid length, quality felt good upon initial contact):
Why don't you consider Solace outlaw gloves? They are full gauntlet, have palm sliders and has soft leather. Quality is good. Have been using it as my daily gloves for past 6 months.
It will fit your budget at around 4k.

I would suggest a full gauntlet gloves for daily use. Putting it on and taking off is a minor hassle but you do get the added protection. Comfort wise, there is not much of a difference between a full gauntlet and a half gauntlet gloves.
Thamps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 14:19   #4589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I recently bought the RE's Windfarer jackets. I have a question about the fitment -....
The fit is personal. You need to feel comfortable. I like mine to be a bit roomy so that I can stretch or move comfortably on and off the bike. This is for the overall fit.

However, with respect to armors in the jacket, it will be different. As close as possible/comfortable, so that it does not have the chance to move from the intended position on impact.

Rev'it has provided a detailed label guide along with their garments on how the armor should fit. I am not able to find a copy online.

Hope TBHP members Niel.Jericho or AxE77 can provide the same from their purchase.

So a little extra room in the belly area should not be a concern. Filling that room as years pass by should be a concern
skviknaraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 11:17   #4590
BHPian

Life of Armour in jackets ?

Hi,

Was curious to know if the inserts of a jacket have a shelf life, yes surely efficacy will change either + or - is a given but is there a recommended shelf life. I ask cause I use a spartan jacket with CE2 inserts and a Eva foam back - clearly the EVA foam is disintegrating albeit slowly and the entire setup is about 6 years old and has done many a rides and has been comfortable no questions as while keeping me safe (2 falls).

Instead of replacing the back insert I was thinking that if the other inserts are to be changed I might as well buy a jacket with Level 2 protection all the way (costs are similar too +/- 2 odd thousand) and maybe also get chest protectors etc.

I usually change my helmet every 4/5 years hence asking !

Any recommendation basis use is also welcome not to expensive though bout say 5/6/7 k is good to go

Thanks for the inputs

Srini
Srini76 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks