Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2021, 10:06   #3841

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheWanderer View Post
Congrats on the purchase!

I have been looking to get a new pair of boots and have shortlisted the Tarmac Adventure Pro.

Could you let me know where did you purchase them from? If you purchased them from an online store - how did the sizing work? Did you get your regular shoe size or one size up?

Thanks!
I got them from openroad.in because black in my size was available there only.
Basically, Bachoo Motors is the official supplier of all Tarmac Gears in India. You can get from them too. Currently, it is being offered at 12k (batch of 2021) at most stores. Avoid stores who are still selling for 14k.

Suggestion - if the brown ones suit you better, go for them, they look like cowboy's boots (you can find some pictures of brown boots on this thread above).

I wear UK 41 and got the same from Tarmac. Size is good for me. I personally have slightly wider feet at toe area. In most slightly narrow shoes, I feel a little cramped at toe. Similarly, here, I can just wiggle my toes enough.

In short, don't think we need to go one size up on these.
Aarka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 10:08   #3842

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
It has to be comfortable also, make sure there's enough room for blood circulation. After a full day's riding the feet tend to swell a bit!

In or Out depends on what you want to clean first? Over the boots keeps your boots upper clean and pants dirty but consider the following scenario:
Wet/Mud/Slush/Rains
- Pants in boots
- Rain pants over pants and boots

By any means if you get your pants dirty (over the boot) and then you want to put them inside the boots then your boots will also get soiled from inside!

Well I just imagined all these, seems inside the boots is a better option and you get to show off your new acquisition too
You had me at show off
I tried yesterday with normal jeans tucked inside, they look good certainly. (Apart from my friends making jokes about me working in construction )

But damn, those levers are a tough one to get used to! Feels like there is no gear lever on my bike anymore
I am sure it will get better as I ride more and more though.
Aarka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 11:24   #3843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarka View Post
I got them from openroad.in because black in my size was available there only.
Basically, Bachoo Motors is the official supplier of all Tarmac Gears in India. You can get from them too. Currently, it is being offered at 12k (batch of 2021) at most stores. Avoid stores who are still selling for 14k.
In short, don't think we need to go one size up on these.
Thanks brother, this helps a lot.

My shoe size is a little weird. For some shoes I wear 43 while for others 44 is comfortable. I'd really like to try them on before purchasing to avoid the hassle of arranging for return, etc.

I think customelements.in has the brown ones in my size. I'll probably get it from them if I can't find them in store locally.
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 05:15   #3844
BHPian

Aarka, my suggestion would be to ride wearing them as much as you can before the Big Ride. Because you'll be err...riding wearing them for a long time! Getting used to toe feedback, toe wiggle room and control of the gear/brake levers can make or break your experience. Here is description of first two hours of riding in my brand new, unbroken Falco Avantour 2. Toe box felt cramped wearing my usual thick socks - will change to thin socks next time - almost got a blister below the ball of right foot and a nail bite on the right little toe - and I have really narrow feet and the boots felt OK during few earlier simple walk-arounds inside my house! Couldn't feel existence of the levers initially and lever control felt vague. I'll have to unlearn my earlier foot positioning w.r.t. the pegs and relearn a new positioning to get usable toe feedback. Missed the brake lever a number of times during emergency braking - I try to keep the front/rear braking effort around 70/30. All the above is not fault of the boots. It's a matter of adjusting your reflexes around the new boots.

May the mountain gods shower you with soul soaking experiences and spare you the earthly niggles. Have a great ride mate!

Cheers,
Sayan
Sayan15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 17:05   #3845
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I have just been gifted a Streetwind Jacket by my wife. I use my bike (or scooter) to travel to office and not go on tours so all these days used a leather jacket which had become old (still good though).

Haven't used it yet but want to understand how safe the Jacket is and how good is it in the heat considering it is mesh jacket?
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 17:49   #3846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Folks, I have just been gifted a Streetwind Jacket by my wife.
Could you post some photos of the back, shoulder, and elbow protectors from the jacket? That's the impact safety part. The abrasion safety part is the jacket material, and that should be quite good here. Never used it so can't say how well it will ventilate, but should be better than a leather jacket.

Last edited by RiderZone : 8th October 2021 at 17:51.
Old 8th October 2021, 20:10   #3847
BHPian

Hello Folks,

I am new to this forum, I need guidance from people in Pune with regard to riding gear purchase.

I am aware about the following shops:

I am interested in the following items:

1. Held/Macna jackets
2. Forma/Falco boots

I have a Rynox Tornado Pro jacket, which I want to retire after 6 years of use. It served me well. I am using Orazo Picus boots since 3 years. Need proper riding shoes/boots.

I am not a fan of online purchasing when it comes to clothes and boots. Are there any shops in Pune where I can get the above brands to try-out ?

I have Tornado Pro pants from Rynox, can we connect jackets from other brands to the pant from Rynox, are they a direct fit ?

Any reliable sites where people had fruitful experience with regard to shipping and returns, just in case.

My budget is around 35-40k for jacket and boots.

Cheers,
Sanjay

Last edited by GTO : 9th October 2021 at 10:47. Reason: Poorly Typed Posts. Please type your posts out perfectly (language, punctuation, grammar, spacing, capitalization)
Sanjay_Sangar27 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 8th October 2021, 21:19   #3848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay_Sangar27 View Post
Hello Folks,

I am new to this forum, I need guidance from people in pune with regard to riding gear purchase.

I am interested in the following items:

1. Held/macna jackets
2. forma/falco boots

I have a rynox tornado pro jacket, which i want to retire after 6 years of use. it served me well.

I am using orazo picus boots since 3 years. Need proper riding shoes/boots.

I am not a fan of online purchase when it comes to clothes and boots.

Are there any shops in Pune where i can get the above brands to try-out ?

I have tornado pro pants from rynox, can we connect jackets from pother brand to the pant from Rynox, are they direct fit ?

any reliable sites where people had fruitful experience with regard to shipping and returns, just in case.

my budget is around 35-40k for jacket and boots.

Cheers,
Sanjay
Couldn't edit my post.

probiker
motocentral
teamdriven motorsport
Sanjay_Sangar27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 21:20   #3849
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello Folks,

I am new to this forum, I need guidance from people in pune with regard to riding gear purchase.
You should also mention what bike you ride and what’s the kind of riding you wish to do using this gear.

You have got a good budget. Do consider Rynox jackets and RE TCX boots if you can. I am sure RE will have a store in Pune which stocks the boots (I’m guessing actually unless they’re only selling these online).

Rynox has a great branded store in Mahim Mumbai. Please check their site online to see if they have one in Pune as well.
Axe77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 21:57   #3850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
You should also mention what bike you ride and what’s the kind of riding you wish to do using this gear.

You have got a good budget. Do consider Rynox jackets and RE TCX boots if you can. I am sure RE will have a store in Pune which stocks the boots (I’m guessing actually unless they’re only selling these online).

Rynox has a great branded store in Mahim Mumbai. Please check their site online to see if they have one in Pune as well.
I ride a Honda CBR250R and I do lots of touring. the sole purpose of the jacket and boots will be touring.

I was considering rynox stealth evo 3, but in older posts some have complained about filmsy stitching on the velcro. My tornado pro jacket from Rynox did not have any issues in these 6 years. has anyone brought jacket from rynox recently, are they still maintaining the quality ?

With regard to tcx boots or any other branded riding boots, are there any outlets here in pune who stock them ?
Sanjay_Sangar27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 22:04   #3851
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Folks,

Shima gear is available at GThouse in Pune, that's something to consider too. I've ordered their gloves a couple of days back, well-priced stuff.

Held is imported by LABs Mumbai I believe, that would be the place to check it out. Macna is imported by Spartan, so is Forma I think, and they do have good stores in all major cities. Don't know who imports Falco.

About connecting the jacket to the pants, I personally have never done it, because I don't think it helps with protection all that much. There's usually a tiny strip of fabric that zips between the two, and I really doubt it'll keep your jacket from riding up your back when you're sliding down the road at 80 kph. Compare that to 2 piece leather suits and how they join, the fat zip goes almost all the way round the waist. It's also quite inconvenient this whole jacket pants attachment thing, the hassle vs. value equation doesn't add up in my opinion.

There are plenty of good shops in Pune/Mumbai, so you shouldn't really need to order much online. There are many reputable sites in India for gears if you do, I've personally ordered from LetsGearUp, and Store4Riders recently, no complaints. Also like Axe77 mentioned, RE official stuff is pretty awesome and relatively cheap, you can sometimes find their gear on Amazon too and buy with additional bank discounts.

Last edited by RiderZone : 8th October 2021 at 22:09.
RiderZone is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 08:59   #3852
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Folks, I have just been gifted a Streetwind Jacket by my wife. I use my bike (or scooter) to travel to office and not go on tours so all these days used a leather jacket which had become old (still good though).

Haven't used it yet but want to understand how safe the Jacket is and how good is it in the heat considering it is mesh jacket?
The Streetwind V2 is a simple, airy mesh jacket that will do what it claims to do. It will provide you with a lot of ventilation and will give you the option of upgrading the L1 armour to L2. Considering the engineering of the jacket, it will be very good in the summers.

Quote:
I ride a Honda CBR250R and I do lots of touring. the sole purpose of the jacket and boots will be touring.

I was considering rynox stealth evo 3, but in older posts some have complained about filmsy stitching on the velcro. My tornado pro jacket from Rynox did not have any issues in these 6 years. has anyone brought jacket from rynox recently, are they still maintaining the quality ?

With regard to tcx boots or any other branded riding boots, are there any outlets here in pune who stock them ?
There is a ton of information on this thread already but for your use case and budget, the choices appear to be pretty easy. Get the Royal Enfield Nirvik jacket and the Royal Enfield TCX boots. Head to your nearest Royal Enfield dealer to try them out.
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 09:31   #3853
BHPian

Quote:

I have bought the stealth evo jacket last year. June 2020 I think. No quality issues so far.

IIRC Rynox has its own brand store in pheonix mall at nagar road (please do check and confirm the location before visiting). You can check out all their products yourself.

Agree with the above post. Don't fret too much about the zipper connecting jacket and pants. That feature is more important and useful on racing suits.

Couple of things from my side regarding riding boots:
1. Please try various sizes of (same or different) boots before finalizing your purchase. You're going to be wearing them for long durations so make sure you're comfortable.
2. Consider whether you want waterproof boots. Your budget shouldn't be an issue.
(Last year I had finalized boots with maximum protection but no waterproofing after doing online research. But the good (and patient) folks at LABS Mumbai helped me understand my requirements and guided me to a pair of boots which was more suited to my use case.)

Thanks
Sameer
samyD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 07:49   #3854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not a fan of online purchasing when it comes to clothes and boots. Are there any shops in Pune where I can get the above brands to try-out ?
Store4Riders are located right in your city & are absolutely sensible guys. Give a buzz to them, tell them your needs & everything should be taken care. Again, there's no physical store, but for sure your needs will be taken care.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 19:13   #3855
BHPian

Hi,

I have a purely academic question for the experienced riders here.

To give a background first: I do not ride (I must have ridden about 200km in my entire life ). However, I am indirectly linked to the plight of riders. I study road accidents in India. Overall, in the hundreds of two-wheeler crashes that I have looked at, there are very few crashes that involve the usage of helmets by the riders. Even in crashes where the riders have used the helmets, many of these riders have sustained serious/fatal injuries to the thorax (rib fractures), abdomen (liver lacerations), and back (spinal injuries).

My question mainly pertains to the helmeted riders that have sustained injuries to other body parts. I have gone through this thread and saw that jackets are recommended to most riders. These jackets have reasonable chest and back protection that may help in reducing the injuries that I usually observe. However, I am assuming that due to their inconvenience (price?), jackets are not used by most riders. Even most users who buy jackets, use the jackets only for long-distance rides (many of my friends also do the same).

So, my question is this: Is there any form of protective gear that can have a higher rate of adoption by the riders (or at least those who use helmets)? I came across some vests that can be worn under the shirt, and even some shirts/hoodies that have inbuilt protection. Are such gear practical and comfortable for daily use?

(P.S: I am not sure if my question applies to this thread. The mods can remove my post if it is not appropriate).
Rohan265 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks