Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2021, 00:23   #3616
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

I'd ordered an Icon Mesh AF jacket recently from FC-Moto.de, but it was a bit too big, and they didn't have one in size S. After a stupid amount of overthinking, finally bought a Rev'it Airwave 3. Bought it because it was the only jacket that I liked that came with space for chest protectors, and I was tired of looking around. Also it had this grey/black color scheme, which will hopefully not retain as much heat as the all black options out there.

Cost after discount: 177 Euros (~15800 INR)

The Riding Gear thread-fjt273_3510mf_300rgb08.jpg

But then I went a bit crazy trying to upgrade the armors while retaining the most airflow. The jacket comes with pretty awesome Level 1 armors on shoulders and elbows, but bought the following additional items:

Alpinestars Nucleon Flex Pro elbow protector, Level 2, cost after discount: 22 Euros (~2000 INR)

The Riding Gear thread-6526121114fr_nucleonflexproelbowprotectorleft.jpg

Alpinestars Nucleon Flex Pro shoulder protector, Level 2, cost after discount: 22 Euros (~2000 INR)

The Riding Gear thread-6526221114fr_nucleonflexproshoulderprotectorleft.jpg

Dainese Pro Armor chest protector, Level 1, cost after discount: 35 Euros (~3100 INR)

The Riding Gear thread-daineseproarmorchest1876150_001_press.jpg

Dainese Pro Armor back protector, Level 2, cost after discount + shipping: 70 Euros (~6300 INR)

The Riding Gear thread-cb.69.7b.h1daineseproarmorgrueckenprotektor21882532020.jpg

Total jacket cost with replacement armor: 326 Euros (~29000 INR)

Although my OCD for getting a jacket with the most airflow with the most protection is now satisfied, but this is still a ridiculously silly amount of money for a jacket in my opinion, having a hard time justifying all this expense to myself, much less wifey

On the plus side, the Alpinestars armor is EXTREMELY comfortable for something Level 2, it's like a wet noodle. Yet to receive the Dainese back protector, but found nothing like it in Level 2 that had that much space for airflow. Hopefully it'll fit in there. The chest protector pockets in the Airwave 3 jacket are very low, it's more of a stomach protector, but again, nothing like it in the market.

Last edited by RiderZone : 1st January 2021 at 00:41.
RiderZone is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 22:12   #3617

Has anyone used RSD (Roland Sands Design) Jackets?

I've got the RSD Truman Waxed Cotton Jacket and was considering inserting Level 2 armour to use it for regular rides/commutes.
Old 3rd January 2021, 00:32   #3618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
I'd ordered an Icon Mesh AF jacket recently from FC-Moto.de
Are the prices mentioned inclusive of shipping and customs duty?
Old 3rd January 2021, 01:08   #3619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit_a View Post
Has anyone used RSD (Roland Sands Design) Jackets?

I've got the RSD Truman Waxed Cotton Jacket and was considering inserting Level 2 armour to use it for regular rides/commutes.
Never used that brand, but if you like I can give you the exact dimensions of the Alpinestars/Dainese level 2 armor I got, could use that to figure out if it'll fit. Only problem I see there is that not all level 2 armor is available in India, I can see some D3O/A* stuff here, and LABs has some stuff here. May be better to find something from these that you like, then Google the dimensions or find them in Revzilla.

Do keep in mind that compared to the new soft and flexible armor types, the D3O level 2 stuff can feel very stiff and fat. For example, I'd bought replacement D3O level 2 hip armor for my riding jeans, but if I put that in the jeans no longer fit, and if I do squeeze myself in there it looks like I have the pelvis of a Brazillian supermodel. Point is that not all level 2 armor would be slim/comfy enough for commutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Are the prices mentioned inclusive of shipping and customs duty?
Sorry I forgot to mention it in this post, I am in Germany for a bit, these prices don't include shipping/customs etc.
RiderZone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 09:43   #3620

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
Do keep in mind that compared to the new soft and flexible armor types, the D3O level 2 stuff can feel very stiff and fat. Point is that not all level 2 armor would be slim/comfy enough for commutes.
Thank you for your inputs. Having verified the dimensions, I'm mostly getting the Sas-tec Level 2 inserts.
mohit_a is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 14:27   #3621
BHPian

Guys can someone tell me what are the most comfortable level 1 and level 2 armour for a jacket? Comfort in terms of how flexible they are and how easily they take the shape of your back, elbow, and shoulder. Thanks!
Old 29th January 2021, 20:16   #3622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
Guys can someone tell me what are the most comfortable level 1 and level 2 armour for a jacket? Comfort in terms of how flexible they are and how easily they take the shape of your back, elbow, and shoulder. Thanks!
Arguably, D30 is the best in terms of flexibility and rigidity on impact! L2 armors are a bit thicker than L1.

There are other proprietory armors from Dainese, Rev'it, Alpinestars with perforated structures for ventilation and protection.

D3O is easily available in India now.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th January 2021 at 22:22. Reason: As requested
surjaonwheelz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 20:23   #3623
BHPian

Quote:
In my experience for Level 2 shoulders and elbows, nothing comes close to Alpinestars Nucleon Flex Pro armors. Extremely flexible and ventilated.

Shoulder size L dimensions: 21x16x1 cm

Elbow size L dimensions: 25x12x1 cm

For back I have only used the Dainese Pro Armor G level 2 protector. It is not very flexible, nor do I expect it to mould itself to my shape, but it's extremely well ventilated, which in my opinion is all that matters for Indian conditions.

Size G1 dimensions: 41x22x2 cm

Size G2 dimensions: 44.5x23.5x2 cm
RiderZone is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 08:32   #3624
BHPian

Thanks guys, the next question is, for regular Sunday rides, is it an absolute must to get level 2 armour? Yes definitely I know they offer better protection in case of the worst. Does that mean level 1 offers little or no protection in comparison with level 2?

My Macna came with level 1 protection. Is it a must to upgrade to level 2?
derek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 09:59   #3625
Team-BHP Support

The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Thanks guys, the next question is, for regular Sunday rides, is it an absolute must to get level 2 armour? Yes definitely I know they offer better protection in case of the worst. Does that mean level 1 offers little or no protection in comparison with level 2?

Derek theres no right answer to this. I know people who wear as much gear as possible EVERY time they ride, regardless of what they ride. (Shumi from power drift is the perfect example). ATGATT proponents. Others will ride to marine drive in flip flops and shorts.

You obviously believe in gear. To your point on level 1 vs 2:

You are riding fast on a Sunday ride. Level 1 obviously works. Just as an HJC helmet obviously works. Level 2 works better. Just as an ARAI is a superior helmet.

Buy the best gear you think you can and want to spend on yourself and use it everywhere you deem fit. Personally I used stock level 1 inserts for a long time and at some point upgraded the inserts to level 2 when I felt like spending that extra cash.
Axe77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 11:25   #3626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Derek, I always have two strong recommendations for riders
1. Always buy the safest riding gear that you can afford and
2. Always wear your riding gear (at least helmet + gloves + jacket + boots).

If you can afford to upgrade the Level 1 armour to Level 2, dont think twice about it. Go for the upgrade. It is worth it.

You can sell the Level 1 armour to someone who has bought a jacket that doesnt have a back protector. So your net investment to upgrade to a Level 2 armour is not very high. A lot of international jackets come with only a foam back insert and the riders who have bought that are always on the lookout for a superior back protector. You can easily work out a deal with a rider in Madras and it will be win win for everyone.
neil.jericho is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 16:17   #3627
BHPian

Thanks guys, for the moment I think I’ll carry on with the level 1 and in due course, upgrade them to a level 2. I definitely need a back armour, mine also came with a cheap foam one.

On a different note, does anyone have a scorpion EXO helmet? My MT has a lot of windblast and I’m looking to upgrade to something better in and around the 18-20k range.
Old 30th January 2021, 16:53   #3628
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
does anyone have a scorpion EXO helmet? My MT has a lot of windblast and I’m looking to upgrade to something better in and around the 18-20k range.
Scorpions are great helmets although I haven’t used their full face personally.

I don’t know which model you have in mind but LABS seems to have some good discounts on the EXO 2000 at the moment (~ 23k). They also have some great deals on Schuberth R2s on their site closer to around 28k if you feel inclined to stretch for a Schuberth.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 11:32   #3629
BHPian

How good is the brand Scott when it comes to riding gear? I know that their bicycles are top of the line, but i have no idea about their riding gears. Anyone here has any experience using them? They have a sale going on in their website, and the prices are mouth watering.

Last edited by deerhunter : 1st February 2021 at 11:37.
deerhunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 14:00   #3630
BHPian

For Hyd bikers, there is a store wide 15% discount running on riding gear.

Details below

PS: Not affiliated to the store. Just bought a MT helmet and riding gloves, and learnt about the discount.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-screenshot_20210206135456.jpg  

shifu is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks