Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2020, 01:12   #3571
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinodavid View Post
The armours of solace are actually SAFE-TECH Italy. I have already looked at the option. Rs taichi is waterproof without any liner. It has something called drymaster membrane integrated into the material , it's something like drystar from alpinestars. It's kind of cumbersome to wear waterproof gear over your riding gear with boots when your riding. Hence looking at different options.
Its SAS TEC (www.sas-tec.de) not SAFE TECH. Those armours have saved me multiple times and I trust that brand. I recommended solace only bcos of the armour

But I get your need for a waterproof and how its inconvenient to wear with liner. Rain riding is rare so I had preferred them. All the best with yu=our search and sorry I couldn't give any specific fbk.
Old 2nd December 2020, 11:24   #3572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Hey these look quite nice. Which site are you considering buying these from? Also any idea which physical stores might stock these where one can buy in person? I have been looking for a second pair of riding pants and this is the color that I am particularly keen on.

Thanks.
Hello,

Check out the SCOTT Moto Pant 350 ADV Grey/Black, I was keen on getting it but instead settled for their Summer pants (will share a feedback later). Their website says "Oxford HD Polyester fabric with weatherproof DWR finishing". I looked up this and concluded that this is waterproof but not forever. One can restore the property by spraying those waterproofing sprays available for fabric.

"Coated Oxford Fabric (Nylon or Polyester)
This is a Urethane Coated Nylon or Polyester fabric. Frequently used for making tents, bags, flags, banners, outer fabric as well as lining of bags etc

They may also be given a Durable waterproof repellent (DWR) coating to make them waterproof.

Water repellent fabrics – Fabrics with a special fabric finish on the surface or special tight weave or one with special sprays applied that cause the water to roll off the surface. When the finish is gone the water repellency is also gone."

Source

At 9k seems pretty VFM, doesn't come with armours though. For Mumbai the following is shown as the pick up point.

Everest Cycles
6-8, Baba Heritage Chsl, Sector 44A, Seawoods
Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra 400706
IndiaPhone: 77188 88871

You might know them from your saddle buddies!

Ride safe,
/surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 15:31   #3573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
GP19 can help with a quick review of the Grid gloves. Only difference is that, Grid has a pinky bridge (pinky and ring fingers are connected with a leather patch). The Grid is in it's 2nd iteration since launched. These are my observations.
Rynox in that brown leather looks dope! You need to try them on and simulate the throttle and clutch action. I usually have problems in the right hand around the thumb web due to throttle action after 100s of km. Ensure you have some room left for movement of your fingers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP19 View Post
From day one till now the gloves are getting better and better. I now enjoy riding with those gloves. So far I never had sweaty palms, gloves are well ventilated. Build quality is good and the grip it offers on throttle is great. As per my hand’s measurement I should be going for XL but the Viaterra’s helpline suggested I should go for L as gloves will break in and take your hands structure.
Thank you for your valuable inputs. I like my gear to not stand out, except in parts where it should (i.e., reflective materials). I prefer the simple Red-Black on the GRID and all Black on the Stealth Evo 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaas View Post
I've been using the GRID since June (had ordered for the v2 just when the e-commerce restrictions were lifted). For 5k, they seemed to be the most VFM considering the other full gauntlet in that price range, Rynox's INFERNO PRO were out of stock....This is an overall personal usage view. If you have any specific queries, then feel free to ask them either here or PM. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the detailed review of the GRID. Sincerely appreciate it. Quite convinced that it's both value for money and does the job. Usually apprehensive about ordering these online since I've had bad experiences with the size, so I might mostly check it out at a store, where possibly, I might be able to try the Rynox as well. Again, thank you for your input.
shyamg28 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 21:30   #3574
BHPian

Well I got too fat for my good old Alpinestar Air Flo. So I did a bit of digging around for a mesh jacket and figured that for a long-term purchase, Klim Induction can be stretched for.

However, what is irritating is that Klim makes TWO mesh jackets: the Induction and the Marrakesh and both have CE Level 1 D3O armor only. What gives? I mean its not like people in hotter countries don't need L2, right? Highly nonsensical and I wasn't going to go nuts going after the Adventure Air Rally jacket either.

So I went to Pathpavers and they let me exchange the L1 D3Os for the L2s all round (the difference is 3K, Klim really gotta stop cheaping out IMO)

Mesh jacket, in winters, no liner. MUCH FUN.
tanayr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 00:27   #3575
BHPian

Was in Germany for a while, so used the Black Friday sale to pick up some stuff from FC Moto. I do not like buying riding gear online because of size/fit issues, but with free returns until 31st Jan, a very large selection unheard of in India, and the 15% extra discount, got a bit greedy.

1. Scorpion EXO 1400 Carbon helmet:

Cost after discount: 328 Euros (~29400 INR)

Other helmets considered:

a. HJC RPHA 70 Carbon (~470 Euros, 42000 INR)
b. Shoei GT Air II (~500 Euros, 44800 INR)

Why Scorpion?

a. Very light weight Carbon Fiber construction (~1.3 kgs)
b. Internal sun visor, which is a feature that I really wanted to try
c. Only one in my budget (under ~30k INR) that had the 2 features above, plus high-viz color scheme

The helmet I received fits great (size M), comes with a free dark visor and pinlock insert as well. However, there's a rattling sound coming from the internal sunvisor, so I'll probably get it replaced from FC Moto.

The Riding Gear thread-a_scorpionexo1400carba_beaux_whineoyel_getstung_ml.jpg

2. Icon Mesh AF jacket:

Cost after discount: 150 Euros (~13500 INR)

Other jackets considered:

a. Rev'it Eclipse (~110 Euros, 9900 INR)

Why Icon?

a. Mesh everywhere, should have great ventilation
b. Comes with D3O Level 2 armor at the back as well, which is missing with almost all other jackets
c. The high-viz version looks good in my opinion

The size guide on this from multiple websites like Revzilla suggested that I should get an M, but got it today and it fits very loose, I'll have to get it replaced with an S. Puny Indian + European measurements = No match.

The Riding Gear thread-meshafjacketgrayfront_ml.jpg

3. Sidi Performer Air Boots:

Cost after discount: 153 Euros (~13700 INR)

Other boots considered:

a. Alpinestars SMX 6 V2 (~210 Euros, 18800 INR)

Why Sidi?

a. The only boots I found with perforations and airflow everywhere
b. Simple, lightweight design without any flimsy buckles that I hate, because they break off
c. Always wanted to try a Sidi boot

By the size chart I should've got a size 42, but went one size up based on reviews and it fits perfect. No replacement required.

The Riding Gear thread-performer_air_neronero_ml.jpg

4. Five Stunt Evo Airflow Gloves:

Cost after discount: 66 Euros (~5900 INR)

Other gloves considered:

a. Rev'it Sand 3 (~ 85 Euros, 7600 INR)

Why Five?

a. Mesh at all the right places, should have great airflow
b. Protectors at all the right places, including slider on the palm/wrist
c. Comes with touch pads to handle phone screens, both thumbs and forefingers

Got the size L today, and they fit like a glove, literally. It is a bit stiff, will probably take some time to break in, but no replacements for it either.

The Riding Gear thread-five_stunt_evo_airflow_101_ml.jpg

Some might have noticed that all the items I bought were suggested by Fort Nine reviews. Manufacturers, please take note, that's how you "influence" real buyers, not by sponsoring obnoxious social media viruses.

I also wanted to buy a riding jeans, but didn't find any option I liked in FC Moto. I'll probably buy the Bikeratti riding jeans, it has some good reviews.

Once the replacements are all done, and I've bought the jeans, that should complete my riding gear set that I believe is perfect for the Indian riding conditions. Only little thing I need now to test that, would be a motorcycle.
RiderZone is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 00:41   #3576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
2. Icon Mesh AF jacket:
Why Icon?
b. Comes with D3O Level 2 armor at the back as well, which is missing with almost all other jackets
Since I'd been (up till recently) doing jacket research and had this exact jacet as one of the options on the consideration list:
I would recommend that you check the D3O armors if you have received the gear, Icon supplies CE Level 1 D3O armors all around by default on this jacket and they do not even specify it clearly on their own website. I had to go around digging for reviews on other sites before I could confirm that these were indeed Level 1.
tanayr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 01:18   #3577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanayr View Post
Since I'd been (up till recently) doing jacket research and had this exact jacet as one of the options on the consideration list:
I would recommend that you check the D3O armors if you have received the gear, Icon supplies CE Level 1 D3O armors all around by default on this jacket and they do not even specify it clearly on their own website. I had to go around digging for reviews on other sites before I could confirm that these were indeed Level 1.
Thanks! I was fooled by a comment on Revzilla into thinking they were all Level 2. Looks like this one has Level 1 all round. Upgrading to Level 2 would be 100 Euros more.

Do you know of any other mesh jacket in this budget with Level 2? I'm too lazy to look for something else, will probably just buy this anyways if there's no other option. Rev'it Eclipse doesn't come with a back protector, and the elbows/shoulders have Level 1 only.
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 10:03   #3578
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! I was fooled by a comment on Revzilla into thinking they were all Level 2. Looks like this one has Level 1 all round. Upgrading to Level 2 would be 100 Euros more.

Do you know of any other mesh jacket in this budget with Level 2? I'm too lazy to look for something else, will probably just buy this anyways if there's no other option. Rev'it Eclipse doesn't come with a back protector, and the elbows/shoulders have Level 1 only.
Yes I was trying to find the same thing: a nice mesh jacket which comes with Level 2 D3O armors all around and does not cost a lot, but I could not find it (there were some AGV Sport mesh ones that did state CE L2 all around).
Curiously enough, our own desi manufacturers seem to be offering much more value for money with a lot of brands giving D3O/SasTec/Knox Level 2 armors by default or sometimes as a paid option.

Here's what I did - at the store where I bought my jacket, the store guys agreed to buy back the L1 D3Os and put L2 D3Os in place. The difference between the cost of the L2 and L1 D3O armor set (elbow+shoulder_back) in India is about Rs 3300 or so (even in the USA its $45). If FC-Moto can do that then nothing like it, otherwise perhaps you could swap them in India?
tanayr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 10:10   #3579
BHPian

Quote:
I also wanted to buy a riding jeans, but didn't find any option I liked in FC Moto. I'll probably buy the Bikeratti riding jeans, it has some good reviews.
I've been using the Bikeratti riding jeans for a little over a year now. Bought it from Delhi when I was visiting my parents.

As I tried it on in the store, the first thing that came to my mind was "This is really comfy!". Before the lockdown, I used to ride to office about 2 - 3 days a week and always wore them. Even in bumper-to-bumper traffic in Hi-tech city I never felt any discomfort.

I've worn them for 8 - 9 hours straight in office (with the knee guards removed of course) and I never felt awkward or uncomfortable.

I would recommend that when you go and try them out, do take your riding boots along to see if they fit over them or if you can tuck the jeans inside the boots.

I feel that there are two issues though:
1. Even though you're paying close to 10K (approx. 9500 INR for the black one) you get 0 rain protection. I had to buy a XL rain pant from Decathlon separately.
2. The zip opening is smaller than usual - which can be a little awkward when you're going to the loo.
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 13:41   #3580
BHPian

Quote:
Some might have noticed that all the items I bought were suggested by Fort Nine reviews. Manufacturers, please take note, that's how you "influence" real buyers, not by sponsoring obnoxious social media viruses.
It was evident with the choices. Why not the Icon "Icon Field Armor Compression Shirt"?

Quote:
However, what is irritating is that Klim makes TWO mesh jackets: the Induction and the Marrakesh and both have CE Level 1 D3O armor only.
The latest Baja also has L1 I suppose. I think, mainly two reasons for it,
1. Most Adv users use body armours, knee braces so the jacket/trousers serve as an outer shell only.
2. Too keep it, light & supple for the occasional use with the stock armours.

Quote:
Curiously enough, our own desi manufacturers seem to be offering much more value for money with a lot of brands giving D3O/SasTec/Knox Level 2 armors by default or sometimes as a paid option.
Yes, Safe Tech also. In addition, the armours are available off the shelf in India now, specially D3O at par with international prices. I got knee & hip D3O armours from Bikeratti.
I'm planning to purchase a L2 back armour insert for my Spartan (Aspida) jackets, D3O viper doesn't fit due to the shape! Anyone tried this? So a Safe Tech L2 seems a direct fit, need to try this.

Ride Safe,
/surjonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 17:28   #3581
BHPian

Quote:
Here's what I did - at the store where I bought my jacket, the store guys agreed to buy back the L1 D3Os and put L2 D3Os in place. The difference between the cost of the L2 and L1 D3O armor set (elbow+shoulder_back) in India is about Rs 3300 or so (even in the USA its $45). If FC-Moto can do that then nothing like it, otherwise perhaps you could swap them in India?
Makes sense, but the interesting thing is that I don't think the Icon Mesh AF jacket is designed to take the Level 2 back protector at all. Here's the Level 1 protector that comes with the jacket, and here's the Level 2. Notice the difference in shape, the Level 2 protector simply won't fit in the jacket, because the space is not rectangular. My guess is that since this is supposed to be a light mesh jacket, Icon simply didn't feel the need to let this be compatible with Level 2 at the back. I'm guessing the shoulders and elbows can be swapped with Level 2s though, if FC Moto buys back the Level 1s then yes the upgrade will cost little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheWanderer View Post
I've been using the Bikeratti riding jeans for a little over a year now. Bought it from Delhi when I was visiting my parents.

I feel that there are two issues though:
1. Even though you're paying close to 10K (approx. 9500 INR for the black one) you get 0 rain protection. I had to buy a XL rain pant from Decathlon separately.
Nice! I was planning to buy the blue one, not sure if they can swap out the knee armors, I believe the black one comes with Level 2, blue is Level 1.

I have completely given up on the idea of buying one set of riding gear for all seasons, so this will be primarily summer/warm riding set, which I believe covers more than 75% of the Indian conditions. Buying a different rain pant/jacket is the correct way to do things in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
It was evident with the choices. Why not the Icon "Icon Field Armor Compression Shirt"?
Yeah I considered that briefly, but dropped quickly because:

a. This would've required a separate riding shirt (probably with Kevlar) on top, otherwise no abrasion resistance at all. I did not want to have 2 separate pieces of gear for the torso

b. I have used the Fox Bionic jacket thingy in the past, and it was extremely uncomfortable. Unless the fit is 100% perfect, the mesh base is usually not able to support all the armors properly, so they pull things around. On mine the back protector pulled the whole thing backwards and tried to choke me every minute

c. My personal experience with these thin mesh based protectors is that you really have to be nice to them, one single tear anywhere on the mesh and they are done for. They seem to be too delicate to me for motorcycles
Old 8th December 2020, 18:56   #3582
BHPian

Quote:
Makes sense, but the interesting thing is that I don't think the Icon Mesh AF jacket is designed to take the Level 2 back protector at all. Here's the Level 1 protector that comes with the jacket, and here's the Level 2. Notice the difference in shape, the Level 2 protector simply won't fit in the jacket, because the space is not rectangular. My guess is that since this is supposed to be a light mesh jacket, Icon simply didn't feel the need to let this be compatible with Level 2 at the back. I'm guessing the shoulders and elbows can be swapped with Level 2s though, if FC Moto buys back the Level 1s then yes the upgrade will cost little.
Actually, this jacket has the D3O Viper 1 (which is the same shape as the Viper 2) so I do believe it will fit. The Level 1 protector you have linked to is most likely not the one that comes with the jacket. If you look at the Icon webpage (http://www.rideicon.com/gear/mens/ja...h/mesh-af/grey) and go to the replacement parts for that jacket which is a section that you can scroll to a bit below, you will see both L1 and L2 armors available for it.

What confirms the D3O Viper L1 jacket is this video, check at around the 3:55 mark
tanayr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 19:09   #3583
BHPian

Quote:
Actually, this jacket has the D3O Viper 1 (which is the same shape as the Viper 2) so I do believe it will fit. The Level 1 protector you have linked to is most likely not the one that comes with the jacket. If you look at the Icon webpage (http://www.rideicon.com/gear/mens/ja...h/mesh-af/grey) and go to the replacement parts for that jacket which is a section that you can scroll to a bit below, you will see both L1 and L2 armors available for it.
You're right again! Icon Mesh AF comes with Viper 1. I'll run this by FC Moto and see if they'll upgrade everything to Level 2 and buy back the Level 1.

If they do not, could you refer me to the place you bought your stuff from in India who were willing to do this swap? Perhaps they could get it sorted.

Also, what jacket did you finally buy?
Old 8th December 2020, 19:14   #3584
BHPian

Quote:
You're right again! Icon Mesh AF comes with Viper 1. I'll run this by FC Moto and see if they'll upgrade everything to Level 2 and buy back the Level 1.

If they do not, could you refer me to the place you bought your stuff from in India who were willing to do this swap? Perhaps they could get it sorted.

Also, what jacket did you finally buy?
Sure. I went to Pathpavers in Delhi.
As for the jacket, I looked at a bunch of different options (you will know that there is not a whole lot of variety when it comes to mesh jackets) and then in a moment of "over-enthusiasm" got a Klim Induction. Must never reveal actual price at home. Also I got them to swap the armors for L2.

PS: I forgot to mention, I am a fan of your posts on Riderzone.com too!
tanayr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 12:34   #3585
BHPian

Quote:
I was planning to buy the blue one, not sure if they can swap out the knee armors, I believe the black one comes with Level 2, blue is Level 1.
I just checked mine and it looks like both the hip and knee armors that come with the black denims are Level 1 as well.

Knee:
The Riding Gear thread-20201209_122121.jpg

Hip:
The Riding Gear thread-20201209_122111.jpg
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed