Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2019, 09:09   #2821
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Hope the both of you have had sufficient time to play around with your new toys
How do you guys manage the visor cleaning, especially when touring on the road?
Any fogging issues? Is the shield optically correct?
And finally have you guys used goggles with these? Which ones fit? Can you use it with the visor?
This is an excellent helmet which I highly recommend.

I don't feel the need to take off the visor during a ride. I use a regular glass cleaning spray from an opticians store and a microfiber cloth to clean the visor.

The shield feels optically correct. No fogging on the move due to the excellent chin and eyebrow venting. Occasionally very slight fogging at standstill near the bottom but that's barely noticeable.

I don't use goggles. Just regular sunglasses with the visor up when off road. The visor can be pushed up flat against the peak which is very nice.

I had stated the positives in my earlier review which continues to hold. The absolute highlights are the venting and the stability.

As far as the negatives go, I would have liked a drop down visor and a ratchet strap instead of the d-rings. I don't wish to start a debate on that though with fellow motorcyclists That's my personal preference and I'll tradeoff the slight drop in safety for the convenience that these features provide.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 14:42   #2822
Senior - BHPian

Time has come for a new helmet. My trusty X-lite X802r would have lasted until 2021, but then I had a crash this Saturday literally smirked as I heard my head whack the tarmac and felt greatful that I was wearing a proper lid luckily a friend of mine is travelling to Austria in a week's time so he will be able to pick up something from there

The contenders are:
Nolan X-Lite X803/X803 Ultra Carbon- is the fully carbon fibre version worth the extra dosh? I like the fit of the helmet (going by my experience with its predecessor the X802, and I also love the quality of the inner lining. Quite satisfied with the ventilation and the overall weight as well.

Arai Profile V- said to be the entry level Arai, does anyone have any experience with this one? Will I feel any negatives switching from a flagship Nolan to an entry level Arai?

Scorpion Exo R1- nearly bought it's predecessor when buying my X802, the Exo 2000. Anybody have any experience with this one? The airfit system seems useful in prolonging the snug race fit post 3 years time and the titanium D rings are a nice bragging point.

Suomy SR sport- No Snell or ACU gold star rating so I'm a little wary of this one

Shark Race R Pro- Heard it has the best visor out there in the market. Any other positives? How is the quality of the interior lining?

Shoei NXR- Again no clue how good or bad this one is

Airoh GP550- Looks cool but I have zero experience with the brand

I'm looking forward to everybody's suggestions. Is there anything else I ought to look at too? Would love to not have to compromise in terms of interior lining quality and weight as I have come to greatly appreciate both after my experience with my outgoing lid

Thanks in advance

Last edited by IshaanIan : 31st December 2019 at 15:00.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 15:19   #2823
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
SMK turned out to be the best value for money. I'm currently using Nolan and Shoei and am worried someone might steal these pricey possessions, so wanted something cheaper without compromising on quality. As luck would have it, SMK opened first of its kind exclusive showroom in Jayanagar 3rd Block, Elephant Road. Helmets are arranged neatly and are fantastic in quality, (priced around a fraction of what the big boys charge) - Rs 4000!. This is an incredible deal. The brand will rock the global market for sure. By the way, I hear that LS2 available in India are fakes, so buyers beware
That's a nice looking helmet. SMK is very popular here in Kerala and the price range is quite affordable as well given its credentials. Do keep us updated on your long term usage feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Nolan X-Lite X803/X803 Ultra Carbon- is the fully carbon fibre version worth the extra dosh? I like the fit of the helmet (going by my experience with its predecessor the X802, and I also love the quality of the inner lining. Quite satisfied with the ventilation and the overall weight as well.
Always had a soft corner for the X80x series. As you said, they are super light. I owned a Nolan N82 earlier but found that sourcing a replacement liner was not possible in India, just too expensive abroad and not worth the price given that I had already used the helmet for half its life. In some ways, its like the Aprilia of helmets, its small scale of business operations as a company, makes it tough to own for people like us.

Quote:
Shark Race R Pro- Heard it has the best visor out there in the market. Any other positives? How is the quality of the interior lining?
Been using this for a few years now. It is an absolutely brilliant helmet. I had posted a review on this thread earlier. Everything about it screams quality. The only issue that I have had is the slightly fiddly side screws which became an issue once I bought a tinted visor and started switching the visors mid ride. It was easily fixed by a friendly neighbourhood helmet shop guy and Im a little more careful also now. I bought if for Rs 32,000 in Bangalore and Im a convert. It is every bit the flagship that it claims to be. I wouldnt take an entry level Arai over this.

Quote:
Airoh GP550- Looks cool but I have zero experience with the brand
Very nice helmet again. Ive seen it in the Ducati Bombay showroom a couple of years ago. Again, like the Nolan, you might have trouble sourcing parts.

I see that you have missed out on the HJC top of the line options. They are easily available in India and priced very well. The asterix in the option is that it is a 3* SHARP rated helmet. Not everyone swears by SHARP ratings. YMMV. Aside from the puzzling SHARP rating, it is a very nice helmet indeed. I love the padding and comfort of it.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 23:22   #2824
BHPian

Upgraded my Helmet to MT Revenge. Got one from Riderz Planet, Mehrauli. Sharing experience post 1 month of Usage.

Its a lightweight, sturdy and snug-fit helmet. Loved the design and ergonomics of this one. My specks fit in easily.

Was feeling the weight on my neck with older helmet and hence upgraded. Yet to go on a long drive. Will share a detailed review once I use it for day long drives.
saurabh89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 10:11   #2825
BHPian

Simply fed up now. Can't seem to find a dual-sport helmet for around 7-8k in XL size. The Vega I have needs replacing soon, but I am yet to find the lid to replace it with.

The LS2 MX437/436 is what I had decided to get, but they are only available in an L size. I measured my head and I need an XL, which doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere. The official LS2 India site doesn't have it, and when I contacted them, they told me the same thing. They aren't even ready to get one on order.

Can someone please help out/suggest a helmet? Thanks.

Neel
Old 3rd January 2020, 12:44   #2826
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Simply fed up now. Can't seem to find a dual-sport helmet for around 7-8k in XL size. The Vega I have needs replacing soon, but I am yet to find the lid to replace it with.

The LS2 MX437/436 is what I had decided to get, but they are only available in an L size. I measured my head and I need an XL, which doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere. The official LS2 India site doesn't have it, and when I contacted them, they told me the same thing. They aren't even ready to get one on order.

Can someone please help out/suggest a helmet? Thanks.

Neel
1. Scott (9-10k)
2. Lazer
3. Bell mx9 adventure mips (17k)
4. Acerbis
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 14:24   #2827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Scott (9-10k
Is this a motocross or an Adv helmet? Could you share a link or details of the physical store where one might buy this? 10k for a Scott adv helmet sounds too good to be true. Also, helmet model name please
Old 3rd January 2020, 14:39   #2828
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Is this a motocross or an Adv helmet? Could you share a link or details of the physical store where one might buy this? 10k for a Scott adv helmet sounds too good to be true. Also, helmet model name please
Its a dirt helmet, not Adv. I don't think a shield is included. You will have to run goggles or sun glasses

Look up big bear customs on facebook or
http://bigbearcustoms.shop/

A friend got a superb scott helmet for 9k after discounts thrown in.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 18:53   #2829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Time has come for a new helmet.
Thanks in advance
You might find this interesting. A pretty scientific test.

I pay very close attention to the number of shell sizes. If my size is shared by a bigger size helmet, its off my list.

Last edited by Red Liner : 3rd January 2020 at 18:56.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 19:03   #2830
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I had posted in riding gear thread but it didn’t get attention. So reposting here. Any feedback for the newly launched Steelbird Blauer helmet https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...price/1767866/

I am in market for a open face helmet (I know the risks of OFH) and contemplating about this model.

Thanks in advance,
-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 3rd January 2020 at 19:05. Reason: Fix url
Old 4th January 2020, 07:58   #2831
Senior - BHPian

For scooter riding (you really cant go anywhere without a two-wheeler in Bangalore), I bought this dual visor SMK paying Rs 4000 and odd. Quality is really right up there. Check it out before buying any other expensive gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
I am in market for a open face helmet (I know the risks of OFH) and contemplating about this model.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_2100.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 08:06   #2832
BHPian

Quote:
1. Scott (9-10k)
2. Lazer
3. Bell mx9 adventure mips (17k)
4. Acerbis
Thank you! Here's what I found.

1. Scott- The new updated 350 helmet is 13,000. The same model with MIPS is 15,000. There are some older 350s for sale as well, but only the white one is available in XL. I don't know if I like the colour that much, and at 11k, the new one is just 2k more.
2. Lazer- Couldn't find any place to buy these online in India.
3. Dream helmet, way too pricey for now.
4. Found them on bikegear.in, but they are out of my budget as well.

Team Driven India is selling Fly Racing helmets (Elite and Toxin), but they don't seem to have an XL in any colour as well.

On another note, what is the consensus here on MIPS?

My search for a helmet isn't leading me anywhere. I love the new Scott 350, but considering I need to invest in other gear as well (upper body protection is mostly sorted, Leatt 4.5 Pro Body Protector, but rest remaining).

Neel
Old 6th January 2020, 09:40   #2833
Distinguished - BHPian

For 2k more, i would save and get the MIPS. Its a game changer for pure offroad work.

You can talk to the boys at big bear, tell them your scenario and ask them to work out a good will discount for you. Work out some barter (public review of the lid and the buying experience etc).

Or see if urbannomad wants one too and do a group buy together for a better deal.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 12:06   #2834
BHPian

After close to 5 years with my old MT Blade SV helmet, it was time for a change. While the MT was good enough for the rides I used to do on my RE Thunderbird, it was woefully inadequate after I got my Versys650. The wind noise was quite extreme and the padding had gotten lose as well.

I waited for the Dainese and other sales in Bangalore last month but unfortunately didn't find any good lid that fit my XXL sized head. I was following all the deals on websites during black friday and managed to pick up a great deal on this Scorpion helmet and found a friend who was willing to carry it back to India for me!

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20191230_220350.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20191230wa0037.jpg

This is the Scorpion Exo-AT950. It's a modular helmet with DOT certification (it's rebranded as Scorpion ADX-1 for sale in EU and it's ECE certified) The fit and finish is top notch. The cheek pads fit a little snug right now but I'm sure it will ease up after a couple of rides wearing the helmet. There are no pressure points on the forehead or anywhere else. This is the first helmet I purchased online, without wearing it for a check, and was hence apprehensive about the sizing.

A quick review:
  • Compared to my previous helmet, wind noise is almost totally eliminated. Unless there are strong cross winds, I barely hear anything inside the helmet.
  • The anti-fog coating on the visor and internal sun-visor seems to be effective but I'm unsure how long it'll last. Couple of early morning foggy rides and there has been no fogging/condensation on the visor till date.
  • High-viz paint scheme really stands out and the helmet is visible from quite some distance while out on the road.
  • Ventilation for winter is more than adequate. There is a big mouth vent with 2 adjustable positions and a top vent. Will have to see how effective it is during summer.
  • It is rather heavy at 1750gms and does take some time getting used to. Specially while turning the head around while moving at speed.
  • Extra wide and large visor, UV resistant - provides a huge field of view. Both mirrors + speedometer is fully visible without having to move my head.
shreyascashyap is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 14:37   #2835
BHPian

Anyone with experience of using Android/iPhone apps for intercom feature? I found a couple of nice apps that connect via bluetooth or wifi hotspot. It even automatically detects speech so you don't need to push a button before talking. But I used this with traditional Smartphone earphones, so it picked up too much wind noise to be of any practical use on a ride. I'm thinking of trying out bluetooth sets that come with a good microphone(to reduce wind noise) and use it along with the intercom apps.
Basically I'm looking for something cheaper than buying 2 units of intercom sets. Once in a while my wife accompanies me on rides. It would be really nice to have the ability to converse easily.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks