Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2019, 18:44   #2731
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I know you have ADV and this helmet suits the characteristics of an ADV, but what advantage does it provide over and above a street helmet?
From my limited knowledge, much larger visors on ADV helmets provide much less restricted view around than a street helmet. Plus the Flap on top act as a Sunshade.

I am sure there might be a couple of more advantages.

Rachit
Old 23rd January 2019, 10:18   #2732
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I know you have ADV and this helmet suits the characteristics of an ADV, but what advantage does it provide over and above a street helmet?
My reason was pretty lame though - the top visor really helps to restrict the sunrays during a long ride. I do longish rides frequently and I don't prefer wearing sunshades so the top visor was essential for me.

Additionally what Rachit mentioned is true, you get a wee bit better view of the surroundings due to the marginally wider glass area.
Old 23rd January 2019, 14:32   #2733
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Guys, I'm looking to upgrade from my basic Steelbird helmet. Requirements:
- Reasonably well certified
- Pinlock ready
- Internal sun visor

My budget is 6-8k. Preferred city to buy from would be Chennai (I'm based in Vellore). I'd like advice regarding two aspects:

Pinlock - During as cold early morning rides, my breath fogs the visor up! Pinlock would help me get rid of that, right?

Internal Sun Visor vs Dark/Clear visors - Thinking it would be cumbersome to change the visor depending on time of day. Also, I'm concerned about carrying an extra visit during rides.

I was thinking something like this: https://www.spartanprogear.com/colle...18592124141657

Open to other brands and models as well.
You can bravely go for MT Thunder3 SV. Its one of the most feature-rich and safe helmets at this range.
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 15:54   #2734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pros:

- Versatility : Peak comes off for road use if one so desires. Also makes for a great "fighter pilot" style
- Large eyeport accepts goggles that you can without even removing the face shield
- Chin area is more roomy making the helmet cooler on account of the extra space (for air circulation) as opposed to a street helmet
- Most are "Comm installation" friendly

Cons:

- Is usually heavier than the equaling Street lid
- A lot of helmets have shields that are not 100% optically correct on account of the shape
- usually costlier than the corresponding street lid
- Peak can cause buffeting on the highway, which can get tiresome
- Many ADV helmets shorten the peak significantly (to aid highway dynamics) which hampers its ability to deflect tree branches and roost from your buddy on a trail, making it more of a styling exercise

Hope this helps
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 10:49   #2735
BHPian

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/19699-helmet-tips-buying-good-helmet-43.html

Hi everyone. I recently purchased a Scorpions Exo 710R helmet size Small as M seemed to be slightly bigger and since my head size fell between S and M, the shop keeper had adviced me to go for the smaller size. The fit was way too tight initially but it's somewhat better now. The problem is that I've been getting these headaches cause of the the compression if I wear the helmet for more than an hour and they go away once I remove the helmet. This means I'll have to take breaks constantly to ride comfortably. I've used the helmet for around a 4 rides now (around 1000kms) and the headache frequency has reduced but it's still there. Will I eventually break-in to the helmet or will this continue? Anyone had similar experiences with their new helmets?
Old 4th February 2019, 11:10   #2736
Senior - BHPian

Re: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/19699-helmet-tips-buying-good-helmet-43.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta_21 View Post
Will I eventually break-in to the helmet or will this continue? Anyone had similar experiences with their new helmets?
While it is recommended to go for the smaller size when you are in between sizes, headaches are simply not supposed to occur. Can you identify the pressure points? Perhaps you should visit the same store and tell the sales chap what is happening he might be able to give you xs size padding to create more room or perhaps even honour an exchange for the correct size.
Old 18th February 2019, 15:54   #2737
BHPian

Re: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/19699-helmet-tips-buying-good-helmet-43.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
While it is recommended to go for the smaller size when you are in between sizes, headaches are simply not supposed to occur. Can you identify the pressure points? Perhaps you should visit the same store and tell the sales chap what is happening he might be able to give you xs size padding to create more room or perhaps even honour an exchange for the correct size.
Hey. Yes, the pressure points are in the backside of the head. I called up the store and they asked me to try compressing the liner by keeping it under the bed or pillow for a few days or they can do it themselves and give it to me. I will have to try this and if this doesn't work then I can try to change the padding.

Another question on this. Should I go for a M size padding or an XS size padding? Won't the XS padding be tighter than the current padding that I have? Correct me if I'm wrong here.
Old 24th February 2019, 22:31   #2738
BANNED

Quote:
Guys, I'm looking to upgrade from my basic
With the exception of the internal sun visor, a feature I detest from my experience with my previous helmet the MT Blade.

I'd suggest you look into the following options;

1. AXXIS Draken (ECE and DOT) @ Rs. 3999/-
2. MT Mugello (Sharp 4/5 Star, ECE and DOT) @ Rs.4600/-

I'm personally interested in the Mugello as it has a higher safety rating than my Bell Qualifier at less than half the cost.

Speaking of the Bell after nearly 2 years of ownership the helmet is battered a bit and the visor and visor mechanism needs to be replaced which as I am told would cost more than what either of the above mentioned helmets cost, hence why I'm considering a replacement.

Do let us know on what you end up going for.

Ride Safe,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 20:43   #2739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta_21 View Post
Hey. Yes, the pressure points are in the backside of the head.

Another question on this. Should I go for a M size padding or an XS size padding? Won't the XS padding be tighter than the current padding that I have? Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Where exactly do you feel the pressure, can you show with an image/rendering of a head and is it spread over an area or at specific points? The Scorpions tend to be medium oval that fit most heads well enough, so I reckon you have a long oval head perhaps?

I've had a tight helmet that hurt my ears, but it did break in after 4-5 rides.
Old 3rd March 2019, 22:23   #2740
BHPian

I found an interesting video from FortNine . For those who are not familiar with this channel, here's a description in their own words
Quote:
FortNine creates motorcycle and gear reviews with a rare dose of honesty. We also share accessible and incredible places to go ride. Our goal is to entertain our audience, but also to stay truthful.

Gear up for your next adventure at fortnine.ca:
https://frt9.co/98au9e
Here goes

Cheers !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
With the exception of the internal sun visor, a feature I detest from my experience with my previous helmet the MT Blade.
Interesting observation. Can I ask why didn't you like the internal sun visor , other than the fact that to accommodate the internal sun visor , the structural integrity/ strength of the helmet may be compromised (when compared to a helmet without one). Internal sun visor, IMO are a great boon for those who ride with spectacles, as they don't have to lug around a pair of prescription sunglasses every time they are out on a ride.

Video courtesy : www.youtube.com, FortNine

Last edited by Ironhide : 3rd March 2019 at 22:31.
Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 14:24   #2741
BHPian

Guys..I am getting my RE 650 soon and i am on the lookout for a good helmet for my gear collection. The issue i have is my spectacles. I need to be able to put them on/off with the helmet , without too much of a hassle. I did go out to try them at couple of riding gear shops and none of them provide me a good experience. i am sure other bikers with spectacles agree with me. Tried the usual brands of Bell, MT, HJC etc. it's just painful to wear glasses on fullface helmets.

So, which brand and model is best suited for bikers like us? I don't mind spending extra bucks with this option, as long as it is designed well without compromising on the safety aspect. Appreciate any pointers. Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 14:33   #2742
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post
Guys..I am getting my RE 650 soon and i am on the lookout for a good helmet for my gear collection. The issue i have is my spectacles. I need to be able to put them on/off with the helmet , without too much of a hassle. I did go out to try them at couple of riding gear shops and none of them provide me a good experience. i am sure other bikers with spectacles agree with me. Tried the usual brands of Bell, MT, HJC etc. it's just painful to wear glasses on fullface helmets.

So, which brand and model is best suited for bikers like us? I don't mind spending extra bucks with this option, as long as it is designed well without compromising on the safety aspect. Appreciate any pointers. Thanks
I too wear spectacles and have used the HJC CL17, Nolan N86 and Shark Race R Pro over the last few years without any issues. Its just a matter of the padding getting used to the shape of the spectacles. The spectacles will slide in and out without a problem in no time.

What budget do you have for a helmet?
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 16:00   #2743
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I'm looking to upgrade from my basic Steelbird helmet...

My budget is 6-8k. Preferred city to buy from would be Chennai (I'm based in Vellore)...
Visited Spartan Pro Gear, Chennai over the past weekend. Tried both MT Thunder 3 and Mugello ranges.

Interestingly, the Large size fit me well in Thunder 3, but the Medium was the best fit in Mugello!! Quite strange that both beIng models from the same company, the fit could be so different.

Also, another interesting thing I noted - I was using navigation on my phone while traveling inside Chennai city. I place the phone in the clear outer pocket of my ViaTerra tank bag - and the phone refuses to pick up GPS signal. The phone wouldn't pick up that I was moving. Why would that be? The outer pocket of the tank bag is too thick for the phone to pick up signal? Have other riders faced a similar issue?
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 12:33   #2744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I too wear spectacles and have used the HJC CL17, Nolan N86 and Shark Race R Pro over the last few years without any issues. Its just a matter of the padding getting used to the shape of the spectacles. The spectacles will slide in and out without a problem in no time.

What budget do you have for a helmet?
Thanks for the response. I will try HJC CL17. I am looking for a good helmet under 10K.
Old 6th March 2019, 13:37   #2745
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post
Thanks for the response. I will try HJC CL17. I am looking for a good helmet under 10K.
You have some nice options in that price range. The HJC CL17 and Bell Qualifier are some good helmets below Rs 10K. The Airoh Valor is available for Rs 11.5K and is 5* SHARP rated, quality seems good and designs are very trendy. Of course, a broad range of MT helmets are also available for below Rs 10,000. Be sure to try and buy. Do keep up posted on your shopping purchase.

Most Viewed