Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2018, 13:04   #2641

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

hI
I also Bought an SMK twister-Blade last week-end 4k
I also felt the wind noise, especially on the left ears & found it's because of the Blue Tooth Aperture..I plugged it and the noise reduced considerably
But, I have an issue with Pinlock system...I wear spectacles(power-glass) and somehow the pinlock system is not fog proof!
Any ideas on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Here is small review for SMK helmet (SMK Twister, unicolour) after usage of 6 weeks and 2000Kms. Some of features include internal sun shield, Pinlock 30 film, adjustable air vents, Bluetooth compatible. SMK helmet has many features similar to Hyundai (it even has lines similar to fluidic Hyundai designs ). SMK brand name seems to be derived from initials of owner of Studds.

Last edited by bblost : 24th July 2018 at 13:39. Reason: Reduced the size of quoted post.
Old 24th July 2018, 14:06   #2642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surechim View Post
I also felt the wind noise, especially on the left ears & found it's because of the Blue Tooth Aperture..I plugged it and the noise reduced considerably
Very good.

Quote:
But, I have an issue with Pinlock system
Hope you are keeping front chin vents open.

For visibility issues due to spectacles, I have moved to Pinlock70 insert instead of Pinlock30, posted here.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 16:23   #2643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I need a helmet for my regular office commute and rides within the city. These rides would be between 10-30 km on any given day. Speeds not exceeding 80 kmph and more like 40-50 kmph most of the time. What is the cheapest ECE certified helmet that I can get in India?
Based on the reviews and other inputs on this thread, I picked up the MT Revenge Binomy Matt Helmet (Black and Grey) from Open Road Pune (Phoenix Mall) for Rs. 7475. No discounts (actually I did not even ask to see if they give any discount). I went to the store to try out the size since I was supposed to get the Small size based on the measurement of my head circumference. I ended up picking the helmet in Small size. It is a tight fit now which should loosen up a bit eventually. Will add more details here once I have used it for a while.

p.s. One of the warranty claim conditions states that "Products purchased less than the MRP under offers or discounts will not be covered under warranty" - so I guess that makes it clear that you may not get any discounts without it being at the cost of any warranty.

Last edited by pjbiju : 6th August 2018 at 16:32.
Old 8th August 2018, 19:50   #2644
Distinguished - BHPian

Which are the good options for 'ISI' certified helmets? With the upcoming ban against the Non ISI certified helmets coming -Which would at least temporarily make the good/safe foreign brands technically illegal, wanted to know which are the good local make ones. Need to replace my LS2 and cannot wait till there is clarity on this.

Edit: Was looking at another LS2 and also the SMK Twister Blade (based on some feedback here) when this news came out. Usage is mostly within city-Regular office commutes.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 8th August 2018 at 19:55.
Old 8th August 2018, 21:13   #2645
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Which are the good options for 'ISI' certified helmets? With the upcoming ban against the Non ISI certified helmets coming -Which would at least temporarily make the good/safe foreign brands technically illegal, wanted to know which are the good local make ones.
Some of the brands (making ISI certified helmets) that have been around for a long time are Studds, Vega, Steelbird. I think Fastrack from Titan launched helmets not too long ago. I'm sure you'll find several models from these brands and should keep you busy in choosing one that suits your needs

I'm sure there are other brands too that make ISI certified helmets.

*I use a Honda branded Studds helmet when riding the scooter.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 23:01   #2646
BHPian

Hi All,

I have been searching for helmets for a while and zeroed upon scorpion helmets. Hope someone would be able to help me with the following 2 queries:

1. I see models like exo-390 and exo-490 being sold in a Pune store as well as online websites, but they are not mentioned on the official website (scorpionusadotcom). Why would that be? Renamed for non-american markets? Then which original model would they refer to? I am asking so that I can check their reviews on revzilla or fortnine.

2. Would it be advisable to get a helmet from a brick mortar store in Bangkok (cost wise? Probably HJC or AGV if not scorpion). A friend is going for a week’s trip; and no one from the US travelling back soon

P.S. This is my first post here and I am really happy to be a part of Team BHP family
Old 9th August 2018, 08:56   #2647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfox11 View Post
Then which original model would they refer to?
Please refer to their EU site.
EXO-390
EXO-490

Quote:
2. Would it be advisable to get a helmet from a brick mortar store in Bangkok
Yes, please check fit in local stores before zeroing on model & size. Some members have picked up lids from Singapore, check recent posts here.

Quote:
This is my first post here and I am really happy to be a part of Team BHP family
Welcome to forum, well researched first post and having specific query rather than an open-ended query. Enjoy your stay here.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 11:26   #2648
BHPian

Quote:
1. I see models like exo-390 and exo-490 being sold in a Pune store as well as online websites, but they are not mentioned on the official website (scorpionusadotcom).

2. Would it be advisable to get a helmet from a brick mortar store in Bangkok (cost wise? Probably HJC or AGV if not scorpion). A friend is going for a week’s trip; and no one from the US travelling back soon

P.S. This is my first post here and I am really happy to be a part of Team BHP family

EXO 390 and EXO 490 are definitely genuine models by Scorpion, at the low end.

If you get a good prices (and most certainly you will) in Thailand/SE Asia, do go ahead provided you know your head size and brand's sizing conformance well. Scorpions generally do not stray on sizing as per my observation.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 11:34   #2649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Please refer to their EU site.
EXO-390
EXO-490
Thank you for the quick reply. Helped me realize different markets have different products, and the ones available here are standard/genuine products.

I had seen the posts regarding buys from Singapore, and also saw a couple of posts about Thai market but could not find the cost benefit part for the latter market.

On a similar note, selling and usage of non-ISI helmets are going to be banned within 2 months. So, 2 more queries:

1. Does it make sense to invest in a costly international helmet ahead of this ban? I would still prefer paying the fine for safety but the problem will be - once our traffic police will realize that these brands(shoei, arai, agv etc) were never ISI compliant, everytime they will see the brand name on our heads (just like non-MH number plates), they will stop us and the universal drama will prevail. That will make the daily commute very painful.

2. Can we expect to a see a clearance sale in stores who have stocks of these brands by the end of 2 months if no other mandate is passed? I think the law-makers have invited suggestions from the concerned fraternity but how much they will listen to them? And if not, wouldn't dealers be quickly selling off their stocks before the ban kicks in like BS III vehicles on 30-31 March last year? I am sure many of us wouldn't mind having an extra one for touring purpose if we can't use these daily!

So confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
EXO 390 and EXO 490 are definitely genuine models by Scorpion, at the low end.
Thank you! Hope they are of good quality despite being from the lower range. Have seen some good reviews about them. If you have a couple of suggestions, that would be very helpful!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th August 2018 at 11:57. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
Old 9th August 2018, 15:28   #2650
BHPian

Quote:
I had seen the posts regarding buys from Singapore, and also saw a couple of posts about Thai market but could not find the cost benefit part for the latter market.

On a similar note, selling and usage of non-ISI helmets are going to be banned within 2 months. So, 2 more queries:

1. Does it make sense to invest in a costly international helmet ahead of this ban? I would still prefer paying the fine for safety but the problem will be - once our traffic police <snip>.

2. Can we expect to a see a clearance sale in stores who have stocks of these brands by the end of 2 months if no other mandate is passed? I think the law-makers have invited suggestions from the concerned fraternity but how much they will listen to them? And if not, wouldn't dealers be quickly selling off their stocks before the ban kicks in like BS III vehicles on 30-31 March last year? I am sure many of us wouldn't mind having an extra one for touring purpose if we can't use these daily!

So confused

[1] Can't say. I and several other riders as well journalists from Overdrive , Autocar India etc have already written to transport dept secretary, and likely tweeting to Gadkari as well. If they are half as sensible that we generally regard government/bureacratic folks to be, they should instruct traffic cops to "not harass expensive brand helmet wearers" - how well this functions or is understood at street level cops, is hard to say. I'd still take a better helmet and use it, with an ISI sticker pasted if need be.

[2] As above, can't say. The stockists and retailers are counting on better sense prevailing, so it's unlikely they'll do a fire-sale at rock bottom prices. Unlike the BSIII to BSIV change, this one is not an imperative mandate yet, and the legislation has not been passed yet, it is in proposal stage. If our voices are heard, they'll revise the proposal, either notifying agencies to ignore lack of ISI mark on foreign brands, or revise the weight limit proposed to a more realistic one that the foreign brands can achieve ISI certification without redesign.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 17:23   #2651
BHPian

Quote:

1. Does it make sense to invest in a costly international helmet ahead of this ban? I would still prefer paying the fine for safety but the problem will be - once our traffic police will realize that these brands(shoei, arai, agv etc) were never ISI compliant, everytime they will see the brand name on our heads (just like non-MH number plates), they will stop us and the universal drama will prevail. That will make the daily commute very painful.
Go ahead and get the best helmet you can afford. This ban or whatever nonsense that they might bring in is unenforceable, as the Bangalore Traffic Police found out.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-s...withdrawn.html
ranjitnair77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 20:05   #2652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
[1] Can't say. I and several other riders as well journalists from Overdrive , Autocar India etc have already written to transport dept secretary, and likely tweeting to Gadkari as well. If they are half as sensible that we generally regard government/bureacratic folks to be, they should instruct traffic cops to "not harass expensive brand helmet wearers" - how well this functions or is understood at street level cops, is hard to say. I'd still take a better helmet and use it, with an ISI sticker pasted if need be.

[2] As above, can't say. The stockists and retailers are counting on better sense prevailing, so it's unlikely they'll do a fire-sale at rock bottom prices. Unlike the BSIII to BSIV change, this one is not an imperative mandate yet, and the legislation has not been passed yet, it is in proposal stage. If our voices are heard, they'll revise the proposal, either notifying agencies to ignore lack of ISI mark on foreign brands, or revise the weight limit proposed to a more realistic one that the foreign brands can achieve ISI certification without redesign.
Hope everyone's effort are fruitful and instill some sense into governing bodies. However, no point worrying about it and compromising on safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
Go ahead and get the best helmet you can afford. This ban or whatever nonsense that they might bring in is unenforceable, as the Bangalore Traffic Police found out.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-s...withdrawn.html
Will definitely do that. I read about the ban coming into effect in two months in the above mentioned thread hence the sale thing came into my mind. But the last post cleared the confusion.
Old 16th August 2018, 13:23   #2653
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Don't know anything about helmets, but this press release looked a bit interesting, so sharing it verbatim.

Quote:
STEELBIRD AGAIN MAKES A BUZZ WITH “SBA-2 DOUBLE VISOR” HELMETS
The new range offers utmost safety and features latest styling and graphic treatments

New Delhi 14th August, 2018: Steelbird Hi-Tech India limited, Asia’s largest Helmet manufacturer launches “SBA-2 Double Visor helmets” designed especially for the ultra protection of the riders. The biggest USP of this model is its visor. SBA-2 boasts of the longest visor in the helmet industry.

Superior quality, effective performance and advanced technology “SBA-2 Double Visor” helmets offers distinctive characteristics and unmatched safety standards. Steelbird SBA-2 Double Visor is sure to win hearts as it fuses both stylish looks and safety features. The helmet has been designed in Italy with the best designers working on its design.

“SBA-2 Double Visor is sure to click well with riders owing to its USP. The model has the longest visor in the helmet industry hence it offers added safety for the riders. The model also meets European standards and is the most compact helmet in the world. Furthermore SBA-2 also comes with exciting and vibrant decals designed by the famous Bargy Design in Italy. SBA-2 double visor offers the riders the option of double visor and double protection of the chin through the visor and the mouth guard. This model is surely an amalgamation of style and world class safety standards.” says Mr. Shailendra Jain, Global Group Head - Sales & Marketing, Steelbird Helmets.

The new helmet model has extraordinary feature highlights. The interiors incorporate advance air-ventilation system to keep comfortable during the long rides and in scorching heat. The EPS is in two parts with air channels for the ventilation. The air ventilation system is designed in a manner which allows proper airflow and circulation hence making the ride comfortable regardless of the weather.

To make the rides more comfortable SBA-2 comes with stretchable neck pad. There is also an attaco locking system present to lock the interiors at the back and can be removed easily; The visor too has a locking system to lock properly when completely down.

Furthermore, the designer and replaceable interiors are crafted to offer both comfort and premium looks at the same time; Also the centre part of head pad is equipped with 340 gms heavy cushion fabric for better head rest and comfort, this fabric is REACH registered fabric. Again to make it look stylish two tone mesh fabric has been used which is black inside and blue outside; SBA-2 also has a special Stainless Steel mesh at the back vent of the helmet.

The inner visor of SBA-2 will be also available with iridium coating in four different colors which are Gold, Blue, Rainbow and Silver. Also the outer visor of the model is available with Night Vision technology and in Gold, Green and Rainbow color.

Furthermore, for safety of the riders, SBA-2 offers three layers of protection that is visor, mouth guard and chin guard EPS.

SBA-2 double visor helmets meet international standards. It offers utmost protection and is extremely compact and stylish at the same time. Riders have many colour options to choose from. It is available in Non-painted 3 colors which are Red, white and Black. Also there is a hand painted 3 tone Flag option available as well. Furthermore, It is available in Glossy/Matt colors such as Matt Black, Glossy Black, Matt Silver, Matt Maroon, Matt Desert Storm, Matt Battle green, Matt Yamaha Blue, Matt Sports Red and Matt Honda Grey.

This new model is also available in exciting and vibrant decals designed by the famous Bargy Design in Italy. Priced at Rs 3409/- SBA-2 double visor is extremely pocket friendly and is available at all Steelbird outlets and on steelbirdhelmet.com.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-sba-2-double-visor-mat-battle-green-gold-inner-visor-copy.png

Name:  SBA 2 Double Visor Mat Battle Green With Gold Inner Visor.png
Views: 1668
Size:  398.6 KB

Name:  SBA 2 Double Visor Mat Black With Gold Inner Visor copy.PNG
Views: 1672
Size:  381.4 KB

Name:  SBA 2 Double Visor Mat Black.PNG
Views: 1724
Size:  350.5 KB

Name:  SBA 2 Double Visor Mat Desert Strom with Gold Inner Visor 2 copy.PNG
Views: 1669
Size:  469.1 KB

Name:  SBA 2 Double Visor Mat Maroon With Silver Inner Visor.PNG
Views: 1656
Size:  353.2 KB

Name:  SBA 2 Double Visor Mat Silver.png
Views: 1657
Size:  360.7 KB

Name:  SBA 2 Double Visor Mat Sports Red With Rainbow Inner Visor copy.PNG
Views: 1681
Size:  476.5 KB

Name:  SBA 2 Double Visor Mat Yamaha Blue With Blue Inner Visor copy.png
Views: 1693
Size:  432.1 KB
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 14:15   #2654
Distinguished - BHPian

I will read beyond the first line of that drivel of a press release AFTER they send one of these pods to ECE to get it certified professionally.
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 14:49   #2655
Team-BHP Support

Let them get it certified by something we can trust.

Those featherweight helmets they churn out give absolutely no confidence in their ability to protect.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks