Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2018, 21:53   #2671
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Purchased this SMK MA276 based on a couple of reviews here. Seemed suited for my need. Got a 10% instant discount from the price listed- 4300
I have the exact same one, brought it couple of months back from Let's gear up in Bangalore, and I believe I paid Rs. 4300. I needed the L size, but its a snug fit and you are correct, it is noisy. The pinlock works beautifully, I experienced in couple of city rains where I hardly had to lift the visor.
Old 29th August 2018, 22:32   #2672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
Of course the kid in a candy shop feeling in a big store is a bonus.
In my experience it actually results in buying thing you dont actually need - pushing up the total bill

I have never tried asking the Cycle Gear or any other guys for price match - let me try next time i am in Bay Area.
Old 29th August 2018, 22:44   #2673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline Shooter View Post
Hello Guys,

I will be travelling to the US next month. Hence I am planning to pick up a helmet from revzilla.com.I have narrowed down to two models:

1. HJC CL-17 Streamline
2. Bell Vortex RSD

Both are priced at around $100(Rs. 7000 approx).

I have never purchased helmets online.So I am a bit skeptical about the size and fit. Also is there any option i should check in the price range OR a better e-commerce website that I can check out.

Suggestions will be appreciated.
I love HJC. Used a CL-16 for years and I loved it. Revzilla is just great. Very good customer service. In fact, I look at other sites, pricematch at Revzill and buy it from them.

You can also check motorcyclecloseouts - they have insane deals sometimes.
Old 30th August 2018, 08:32   #2674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline Shooter View Post
Suggestions will be appreciated.
Just my two cents before you buy any helmet online :

1. Shortlist the helmet you want by physically going to a store
2. Try-out physically and then order accordingly to have the correct fit. Sizes and shape of helmets change with brands so better to try-out before final order. Even sometimes, if you have wider ears for example, shark shape helmets wont work as it starts irritating the ears after sometime.
3. Buy critical consumables and spares like visors, pinlocks, etc if ordering online as locally they might not be available. You may want to check Aliexpress for cheap deals. I guess they do have CL-17 visors to offer.

Cheers,
Amey
Old 30th August 2018, 11:59   #2675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yes thats true. At the moment Bell Vortex is going at <USD70 range. Not sure about size and colour etc.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 30th August 2018, 14:40   #2676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
Yes of course. Revzilla is very good and I have bought things from there. My recommendation was for Redline Shooter to first try on the helmets from a physical store and then buy either online or from the store. The store price including sales tax can get pretty close to online if you request them to match.

Of course the kid in a candy shop feeling in a big store is a bonus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
In my experience it actually results in buying thing you dont actually need - pushing up the total bill
@Ranjit Thanks for the suggestion. I think i should definitely try and visit a visit physical stores before finalizing the helmet.

@ethanhunt123 haha rightly said. I have been trying hard to avoid such expensive visits. Kids at a candy store are difficult to deal with, specially when you are your own kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I love HJC. Used a CL-16 for years and I loved it. Revzilla is just great. Very good customer service. In fact, I look at other sites, pricematch at Revzill and buy it from them.

Thanks Naveen. Yes I was watching a few reviews for CL-17. Looks like a good choice and improvement over CL-16.
Will check motorcyclecloseouts.com right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
Just my two cents before you buy any helmet online :

1. Shortlist the helmet you want by physically going to a store
2. Try-out physically and then order accordingly to have the correct fit. Sizes and shape of helmets change with brands so better to try-out before final order. Even sometimes, if you have wider ears for example, shark shape helmets wont work as it starts irritating the ears after sometime.
3. Buy critical consumables and spares like visors, pinlocks, etc if ordering online as locally they might not be available. You may want to check Aliexpress for cheap deals. I guess they do have CL-17 visors to offer.

Cheers,
Amey
Thanks Amey for the details. I plan to try a few stores in Bangalore first and
also a few stores in America before i pick one up. I plan to buy pinlocks and another set of visor for sure.
Old 6th September 2018, 01:41   #2677
BHPian

So i needed to replace my 6 year old LS2 that was of an incorrect size (large). Bought it in 2012 for Rs 2,500 and the helmet has aged really well (of course it has been taken real good care of).

Decided to go with the HJC CL 17 considering it's the best bet within my budget.

The retail price for the CL17 is around US $ 150 and the price in India being around 9k. Had a friend coming back from the US, so ordered a not so great design from Sportbiketrackgear.com for US$70 (what a great deal). These guys delivered the helmet to my friend in New Jersey in flat 3 days with the helmet having a stocking time of 2 days. 5 days from the date of order and my friemd had the helmet box packed. Impeccable service and even better deals.

Now coming to the helmet, the quality for the price paid is just amazing. At less that 5k INR, the helmet is just a steal and a no brainer. Also ordered an extra shield for US$22 and a chin curtain for US$3.

Ill let the pictures do the talking.

Havent used it yet, so can't comment on the wind noise. But i don't think ill be complaining much as this is a entry level helmet.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20180905_2330482.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20180905_2330572.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20180905_2331052.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20180905_2331272.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20180906_013825.jpg  

seedyk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 20:19   #2678
BHPian

Heads up post - to be specific

I was on the hunt for an off road helmet. Being fed up with the take what we give you (with reference to helmet size and color) attitude of the local helmet shops, I decided to try the online shop of Steelbird Helmets. Browsing through the diverse collection, I finally decided on what I need to buy and placed the order on 22.08.2018.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-warning2.jpg

I got the order confirmation as in the picture

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-warning.jpg

So I waited for my new helmet to be delivered and even after 8 days there was no sign of the helmet. I contacted the phone number of the company and they said that the product was dispatched through DTDC and gave me the consignment number. When I tried to track the shipment, the DTDC website gave the message that the details were not available.

Consequently I send an email to the company (you can see the full conversation in the following picture)

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-warning3.jpg

And finally by the 30th of August, they booked the shipment at the facility. They prevaricated to me on the phone as well as on the message sent to me. Of course I didn't mind - people are forgetful - In the midst of dispatching huge amount of shipment to different places... here is my order for a single piece !

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-warning4.jpg

The tracking of the shipment went smooth and finally I got the product in my hand. With all the excitement I opened the package and I got the sucker punch - WRONG PRODUCT ( Bang Matt Battle green Helmet)

Now the company's refund policy states that we have to send the product to them through a third party courier by bearing the cost. I had already paid the cost of shipment to my end and due to the mistake of someone at the company, I have to pay again for replacement - which I was not willing to !

Send a hot headed message to the company and has not received a reply till date - No remorse or not even a sorry for sending the wrong product.

So the point and heads up here is - Please be careful when shopping online with Steelbird Helmets - The product your ordered for will not be the one you will be receiving by courier

Last edited by adrian : 12th September 2018 at 20:31.
adrian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 20:54   #2679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyk View Post
So i needed to replace my 6 year old LS2 that was of an incorrect size (large). Bought it in 2012 for Rs 2,500 and the helmet has aged really well (of course it has been taken real good care of).

Decided to go with the HJC CL 17 considering it's the best bet within my budget.

The retail price for the CL17 is around US $ 150 and the price in India being around 9k. Had a friend coming back from the US, so ordered a not so great design from Sportbiketrackgear.com for US$70 (what a great deal). These guys delivered the helmet to my friend in New Jersey in flat 3 days with the helmet having a stocking time of 2 days. 5 days from the date of order and my friemd had the helmet box packed. Impeccable service and even better deals.

Now coming to the helmet, the quality for the price paid is just amazing. At less that 5k INR, the helmet is just a steal and a no brainer. Also ordered an extra shield for US$22 and a chin curtain for US$3.

Ill let the pictures do the talking.

Havent used it yet, so can't comment on the wind noise. But i don't think ill be complaining much as this is a entry level helmet.
So to keep the helmet clean and fresh smelling, bought an Aspida balaclava from Spartan ProGear for Rs 300.

The balaclava seems good for the price and is well built. Has a mesh like structure near the near the nose for ease of breathing. Fits perfectly.

Attaching pictures of the balaclava and the inner part of the mesh like structure whicb will hopefully filter out dust to a large extent.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20180914_195226.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20180914_195208.jpg  

Old 15th September 2018, 00:39   #2680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyk View Post

Decided to go with the HJC CL 17 considering it's the best bet within my budget

Now coming to the helmet, the quality for the price paid is just amazing. At less that 5k INR, the helmet is just a steal and a no brainer. Also ordered an extra shield for US$22 and a chin curtain for US

What a coincidence. I replaced my decade old AGV with a HJC CL-17 last year in similar fashion. Purchased it in US for USD 80 and got it shipped to India though some relatives. Got 2 extra Anti fog inserts and an extra windshield too. Got a Chin curtain and a nose guard too. Got it all fitted and been using it some now.

Regarding windnoise, I am sorry. there is considerable wind noise even after installing the chin curtain and nose guard. The helmet is good, looks sturdy and feels safe. Removing and refitting the windshield is a breeze and so is removing the inner pads for cleaning. The air vents are appropriate and offer considerable relief from heat.

But again the vision is not what I had what with my earlier AGV. the vision is restricted, not really wide enough to have a better view (can't see my speedo /odo). But overall it is value for money. No bells and whistles. VFM, Nothing great but does it's intended work. Suits everyday commuter and the occasional long distance rider.

I would rather rate my earlier AGV higher any time due to it's versatility but again it is a more expensive helmet and in a different league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Pinlock120 is overkill in our weather conditions, even Pinlock70 is to some extent. I picked it up only because complete visor coverage rather than partial coverage of Pinlock30.
I picked it up from MotoCentral, SMK dealer in Pune.
I have a couple of pinlock70 inserts and trust me they are more than enough for the intended purpose. Haven't checked out P120 or P30. But P70 is just about right for a normal view for a normal rider.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20171125_0919430101.jpeg  

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th September 2018 at 08:56. Reason: Back to back posts.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 20:17   #2681
Senior - BHPian

Considering the SMK MA276. anyone tried a bluetooth receiver with this helmet? Whats a value for money BT unit to purchase? Availble on Aliexpress, please help me with a link to a compatible unit on Aliexpress?
Old 16th October 2018, 18:41   #2682
BHPian

Anybody has bought a helmet from https://ls2helmetsindia.com/? Any idea if they are reliable? I searched this thread, but didn't get any info.

TIA!
Old 22nd October 2018, 12:34   #2683
BHPian

Hello Riders,

I'm using a Vega Axor 2014 DOT certified helmet with ISI mark

It's due for replacement/upgrade. I'm comfortable with spending 4k to 7k on the new lid.

Options:
1. Axor stealth
2. SMK Twister/others
3. MT Targo/Thunder 3

Recently HJC has flooded local stores in Pune. But the visor cost of 2200 keeps me away from them.

Having prescription glasses, I don't prefer internal sun visor. It adds too many refractive surfaces! So the only choice is MT Targo.

Any users here who can share their experience. Other options are welcome except LS2.

Try and buy is the protocol so imports can wait too.

Cheers,
surjaonwheelz
Old 22nd October 2018, 12:48   #2684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Anybody has bought a helmet from https://ls2helmetsindia.com/? Any idea if they are reliable? I searched this thread, but didn't get any info.
I have not bought from this site, however it is the official link of LS2 helmets in India, and Laxi Automobiles in Pune is the official importer of LS2 helmets in India. I bought my LS2 FF352 helmet from Myntra last year during Diwali sale with some discounts and it was shipped from Laxmi Automobiles, Pune. One more advantage with Myntra was that the initial size "L" I had ordered was too tight and applied for a replacement with "XL" size and got it the next day!
jpcoolguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 20:48   #2685
Senior - BHPian

Users of the Honda Activa (1st Gen), TVS Jupiter & Suzuki Access, what full face helmets are you using? Looking for helmets that will fit in the under seat storage. I'm using an Activa and planning to buy the Jupiter or Access for my wife. Looking for a mid range helmet, not the usual 1000-2000 Vega or Studds options. Something from SMK, MT, THH, Axor will be fine. Usage will be strictly within city but the helmet needs to be full face.

Most Viewed