Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2018, 09:17   #2596
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Yes Shoei just works perfect for me! Wish they came up with newer models
The windshield sealing works to perfection!

INothing better than Trying & Buying as far as Helmets are concerned!
Shubh, good to see you here (TBHP) again after a gap.

Agree with you on the Shoei GT Air and you know I crash tested it as well (Thank God for some good decisions). I am currently on my 2nd GT Air.

A lot of people who have used it swears by this "ear buds" - https://badasshelmetstore.com/best-e...s-motorcycles/

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 7th April 2018 at 09:18.
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 17:09   #2597
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like it's different for each. A friend of mine and I both bought the same at Bolgona. Even he said it's noisy. I have tried various positions. It's noisy even when fully down. I use cotton buds as I'd like to hear the calls and music and communication with other riders. I still find it pretty noisy compared the the GT air. May be it's all got to do with head shape.

Do let me know your observations
����
Hi Shubz,

I have conclusively ridden with the ARAI for about 2k-3,000 kms now to observe the following.

1. I have ridden with the visor down and the pro-shade up. No problems.
2. Both visor and pro-shade up (with sunglasses on for more ventilation). No problems.
3. Visor + pro-shade down. No problems.

In all 3 scenarios, the chin vent was fully open, the top vents were completely shut, and the rear vents were fully open.

I use 3M ear plus - foam type. Here's the thing. If I insert them even a few MM out of whack, the wind noise is deafening. Insert them the way they should, and all I can hear is the soft background of my in lid speakers. Ofcourse, background noise is faintly audible, but wind noise is absolutely cut off. So now that I know what the wind noise is like with badly fit ear plugs, I just stop and refit them again.

I highly recommend you begin using ear plugs and then re-rate the lids.

Last edited by Red Liner : 2nd May 2018 at 17:11.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 17:43   #2598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Hi Shubz,

I have conclusively ridden with the ARAI for about 2k-3,000 kms now to observe the following.

1. I have ridden with the visor down and the pro-shade up. No problems.
2. Both visor and pro-shade up (with sunglasses on for more ventilation). No problems.
3. Visor + pro-shade down. No problems.

In all 3 scenarios, the chin vent was fully open, the top vents were completely shut, and the rear vents were fully open.

I use 3M ear plus - foam type. Here's the thing. If I insert them even a few MM out of whack, the wind noise is deafening. Insert them the way they should, and all I can hear is the soft background of my in lid speakers. Ofcourse, background noise is faintly audible, but wind noise is absolutely cut off. So now that I know what the wind noise is like with badly fit ear plugs, I just stop and refit them again.

I highly recommend you begin using ear plugs and then re-rate the lids.
Thanks for the update buddy!

I have a big pouch of those 3M ear plugs with me anyway. Shall try that over this weekend. I know for sure that the 3M plugs will definitely decrease the wind noise etc. I was only concerned about being able to hear communication/music etc on the go. For once, with the plugs in, in with a good fit, i wasn't able to hear the person more than a feeble voice.( this was on my Shoei though), Nevertheless, I am going to try this again.

BTW -- on your points..

1. I have ridden with the visor down and the pro-shade up. No problems. -- Buffeting has been very prominent along with the whoosh of the wind. Wonder how you couldn't feel that.(even my friend who picked up a similar lid, who is taller than I am, riding a different bike than mine, complained of the same)

2. Both visor and pro-shade up (with sunglasses on for more ventilation). No problems. - when you say no problems -- what do you mean? No buffeting?

3. Visor + pro-shade down. No problems.-- I can understand what you mean by this.
Old 2nd May 2018, 18:17   #2599
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

1. I have ridden with the visor down and the pro-shade up. No problems. -- Buffeting has been very prominent along with the whoosh of the wind. Wonder how you couldn't feel that.(even my friend who picked up a similar lid, who is taller than I am, riding a different bike than mine, complained of the same)
There is no whoosh, there is no buffeting. Whoosh is air flow into the helmet creating a distinct ear shattering hum. Please note that buffeting is not because of the Helmet but because of the air flow from the front of your motorcycle over the windshield.

Quote:
2. Both visor and pro-shade up (with sunglasses on for more ventilation). No problems. - when you say no problems -- what do you mean? No buffeting?
No whoosh, no buffeting.

3. Visor + pro-shade down. No problems.-- I can understand what you mean by this.[/quote]

My helmet fits absolutely perfectly (too tightly maybe), my measured hat size both at home and at a shop measure exactly to an XS in the Arai, and my head is a round head and thus conforms to Arai's round helmet shape on the inside (NOT the R75 round shape outside). All these factors play a massive role in wind noise.
Old 2nd May 2018, 18:31   #2600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is no whoosh, there is no buffeting. Whoosh is air flow into the helmet creating a distinct ear shattering hum. Please note that buffeting is not because of the Helmet but because of the air flow from the front of your motorcycle over the windshield.

No whoosh, no buffeting.

3. Visor + pro-shade down. No problems.-- I can understand what you mean by this.
My helmet fits absolutely perfectly (too tightly maybe), my measured hat size both at home and at a shop measure exactly to an XS in the Arai, and my head is a round head and thus conforms to Arai's round helmet shape on the inside (NOT the R75 round shape outside). All these factors play a massive role in wind noise.[/quote]

No whoosh! Wow! Wonder how. I was talking of the Whoosh at the place where the pro-shade breaks the wind. (it could do with the windshield as well). Never mentioned buffeting was because of the helmet

may be its the head shape -- you mention you are damn sure its round so Arai just fits you perfect.

XS - this surprised me -- whats the circumference like?
And the helmet fit -- isn't it not a good idea for it to be fitting "too tightly"?
Old 2nd May 2018, 18:41   #2601
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No whoosh! Wow! Wonder how. I was talking of the Whoosh at the place where the pro-shade breaks the wind. (it could do with the windshield as well). Never mentioned buffeting was because of the helmet

may be its the head shape -- you mention you are damn sure its round so Arai just fits you perfect.

XS - this surprised me -- whats the circumference like?
And the helmet fit -- isn't it not a good idea for it to be fitting "too tightly"?
I have read reviews online as well and all reviewers say there is no buffeting with the pro-shade up. Their findings correspond with mine, unless there is a very strong breeze blowing right across, in which case any helmet is going to find the going tough. My windshield at its current position, I think allows the wind to flow neatly above my helmet (tested when riding with one hand held above the helmet to check wind flow). I think ARAI have also done a bit of wind tunnel testing with the pro-shade.

XS inner circumference is 53-54 CMS. My head measures about 53.5 cms with a tape measure.

The hat size of the helmet should fit your own head/hat size after measurement. If the cheek pads do not fit (which is what you might have experienced with a smaller lid (feeling claustrophobic), ARAI allows you to either trim the cheek pads by peeling off layers by up to 5MM, OR ordering new pads that fit your cheeks better.

Mine sit tight, but over the next few months will break in considerably. Even if tight, I face no discomfort - I actually prefer it this way - there is absolutely zero wobble during shoulder checks.

Last edited by Red Liner : 2nd May 2018 at 18:44.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 11:11   #2602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have read reviews online as well and all reviewers say there is no buffeting with the pro-shade up. Their findings correspond with mine, unless there is a very strong breeze blowing right across, in which case any helmet is going to find the going tough. My windshield at its current position, I think allows the wind to flow neatly above my helmet (tested when riding with one hand held above the helmet to check wind flow). I think ARAI have also done a bit of wind tunnel testing with the pro-shade.

XS inner circumference is 53-54 CMS. My head measures about 53.5 cms with a tape measure.

The hat size of the helmet should fit your own head/hat size after measurement. If the cheek pads do not fit (which is what you might have experienced with a smaller lid (feeling claustrophobic), ARAI allows you to either trim the cheek pads by peeling off layers by up to 5MM, OR ordering new pads that fit your cheeks better.

Mine sit tight, but over the next few months will break in considerably. Even if tight, I face no discomfort - I actually prefer it this way - there is absolutely zero wobble during shoulder checks.
Mine's 58 cms. and I am not sure of my head shape as sure as you are. Wish there was a foolproof way to figure this

May be thats where the issue lies. Arai being for roundish heads, i may be a misfit into the same. I also get a weird pressure point at top right corner of the head (may be its yet to break in fully)
Old 3rd May 2018, 11:27   #2603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mine's 58 cms. and I am not sure of my head shape as sure as you are. Wish there was a foolproof way to figure this

May be thats where the issue lies. Arai being for roundish heads, i may be a misfit into the same. I also get a weird pressure point at top right corner of the head (may be its yet to break in fully)
The best way to check is to get an overhead photograph of your head, so you can figure it out yourself.

Or visit a good helmet store, where the guy dealing with helmets can look at your head and understand if you are oval, round oval, intermediate oval, long oval, narrow, etc.

If you have a pressure point, I think your head shape is different. The Shoei GT AIR is an inter-oval (or Slightly Narrow), whereas the ARAI is a round. See: https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcy...nternal-shape/

I am sorry if all my "research" was too much to bear, but I was spending too much money on lids, and having made a mistake of buying the incorrect lid twice (first a medium HJC which was twice too big, and then an S AGV which was one size too large and was also the wrong head shape), I just wanted to make sure I got it right this time.

The good thing is, now I know what size and shape my head is, so buying a lid will be far easier.

Last edited by Red Liner : 3rd May 2018 at 11:28.
Old 3rd May 2018, 11:44   #2604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The best way to check is to get an overhead photograph of your head, so you can figure it out yourself.

Or visit a good helmet store, where the guy dealing with helmets can look at your head and understand if you are oval, round oval, intermediate oval, long oval, narrow, etc.

If you have a pressure point, I think your head shape is different. The Shoei GT AIR is an inter-oval (or Slightly Narrow), whereas the ARAI is a round. See: https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcy...nternal-shape/

I am sorry if all my "research" was too much to bear, but I was spending too much money on lids, and having made a mistake of buying the incorrect lid twice (first a medium HJC which was twice too big, and then an S AGV which was one size too large and was also the wrong head shape), I just wanted to make sure I got it right this time.

The good thing is, now I know what size and shape my head is, so buying a lid will be far easier.
This is super awesome conversation and nothing to be sorry about. I am sure this would help a lot of prospective helmet buyers. Particularly the one's mulling to plonk in big $$ on expensive lids only to realize its a wrong choice.

The Shoei did give me pressure point on the forehead for a long time. I was silly to think it was the wrong shape/size. It was the stupid balaclava seam that was creating the pressure. Once I changed over to tube, it was a pleasure having the Shoei on.

Now I got to try the same with this Arai as well.

I did read about the webbike world article about head shape. but am too dumb to really understand and conclude on the shape. I will have to take an pic from top of my head to figure it out myself :-)

About any helmet guy in BLR, who can actually be so customer centric -- I am not sure if there is anyone around. I've known people are being sold what they ask for and not one has come forward saying, "Let me check your head shape first & oh, this is not your for your head shape"
(unless I am being a frog in a well).
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 12:48   #2605
BHPian

Quote:

About any helmet guy in BLR, who can actually be so customer centric -- I am not sure if there is anyone around. I've known people are being sold what they ask for and not one has come forward saying, "Let me check your head shape first & oh, this is not your for your head shape"
Please visit Let's Gear Up in HSR Layout. The owner and staff will assist you with head shape and size measurement with a tape. They had HJCs, Bells and Airoh's in stock the last time I was there.
Added_flavor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 13:31   #2606
BHPian

Quote:
Biking Spirit on residency road. That guy knows his stuff.
Old 4th May 2018, 13:33   #2607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Please visit Let's Gear Up in HSR Layout. The owner and staff will assist you with head shape and size measurement with a tape. They had HJCs, Bells and Airoh's in stock the last time I was there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh View Post
Biking Spirit on residency road. That guy knows his stuff.
Thanks guys! I know them both. Haven't shopped at their stores for Helmet for sure. for they don't have what I need (needed) :-) May be in the future or just to get a confirmation on my "head shape" I'd have to visit them
Old 6th May 2018, 21:30   #2608
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I confess that I am a helmet noob, the best helmets I have owned are a studds ninja 3g modular helmet and a studds shifter which I use currently.

From the last five years from when I started to ride I had been riding a Classic 350, it was slow and felt composed on the road due to the speeds I used to do on it. Used to ride at a maximum of 80 kmph and these helmets felt to serve the purpose.

Slowly I developed a recurring pain in my neck and tried a light weight o2 3quarter helmet, I knew it wasn't safe but the constant neck pain which would lead to excruciating head aches forced me to use it.

With constant workouts and heat therapy to the neck it feels much better and stronger now to take a medium weight helmet on it.

The ninja was disposed after a crash and the Studds shifter now remains.

The problem arised when I recently purchased a dominar 400, the first 2000 kms my riding was sedate as I wanted to run in the machine properly.

I use the machine mainly for commuting and client visits during office time totalling about 70 to 100 kms a day.

Now that the run-in is over I am testing speeds that I had never imagined on the Classic 350.

The studds shifter looks hopelessly inadequate to handel those speeds and feels very poorly put together as well.

With the above development I am planning to get a Bell Mx9 adventure mips or a Bell Qualifier DLX. Would love to hear your opinions on the same and any other choices that you guys feels would be right.

The things I am looking for in a helmet are -
1)Lightweight helmet or one where the weight is evenly distributed throughout the head
2)Good ventilation
3)Stable at high speeds
4)Workmanship that would last atleast 5 years
5)Speaker cutouts would be preferred

The maximum budget would be 15k plus a couple grand if the products commands it.

Would request the masters to please pitch in their views.

Thank you.
Old 7th May 2018, 12:39   #2609
BHPian

Hey Peeps,

Its now been over a month now owning an HJC RPHA 11 Pro and covered variety of rides wearing it viz - Country roads, Corner Carving, National Highway runs.

Thought of now putting up an ownership review!

I got the helmet during my visit to Singapore from Regina Specialities.

Link to their website - www.reginaspecialties.com.sg/

The shop has variety of brands right from protective gear to bike accessories.

The good part is the shop is situated at walking distance from Mustafa (a mega shopping store) which is a kind of must visit store for Indians; therefore one doesn't need to specially plan a visit the store.

The price is almost 45% less than Indian store prices.

Pros -

1. Very lightweight - 1.3 Kgs
2. Excellent ventilation - 10 airvents to be specific
3. ACS "Advanced Channeling Ventilation System"
4. Greater field of view
5. Both clear and smoke tinted optically-superior Pinlock-ready 2D flat-racing shields
6. Visor Lock works smoothly and perfectly
7. Pin-lock (one set free with the helmet)
8. DOT and ECE approved
9. Built-in communication speaker pockets
10. Excellent fit and cushioning (Can't chew a chewing gum fit). No head-aches so far.
11. No rattling of visor at high speeds or bumps
12. Thorough Race Bred

Cons -

1. Being highly ventilated, it is a noisy helmet but is silent post using 3M pinlock ear plugs for Bluetooth Communicators application.
2. Can create confusion to opt for this or buy ARAI / Shoei at a marginal difference.
3. Can be a tough task to wear it with balaclava as the chin curtain is pretty stiff.
4. Not Snell certified

Overall, I am very happy and satisfied with the quality it offers at rides and would definitely recommend with a big thumbs up.

Below is the pic of the RPHA 11 Pro (Military Sand) which i've opted for.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-51zs6999zel._sy355_.jpg

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 17:12   #2610
Team-BHP Support

Get ready for round two -

https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...ified/1162086/

BIS certification is being made mandatory for helmets sold in India. Good move to avoid cheap quality helmets, but I expect them to start hunting ECE, DOT helmets again with this rule.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks