Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2018, 21:04   #2686
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Users of the Honda Activa (1st Gen), TVS Jupiter & Suzuki Access, what full face helmets are you using? Looking for helmets that will fit in the under seat storage. I'm using an Activa and planning to buy the Jupiter or Access for my wife. Looking for a mid range helmet, not the usual 1000-2000 Vega or Studds options. Something from SMK, MT, THH, Axor will be fine. Usage will be strictly within city but the helmet needs to be full face.
Not sure of the above mentioned options, however my LS2 FF352 did not fit in the Activa 4G used by my Sister-in-Law. However, the Vega full face helmet she uses fit flush inside the storage area. The above mentioned brands are more or less will have the same size as that of LS2.
Old 22nd October 2018, 21:42   #2687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Not sure of the above mentioned options, however my LS2 FF352 did not fit in the Activa 4G used by my Sister-in-Law. However, the Vega full face helmet she uses fit flush inside the storage area. The above mentioned brands are more or less will have the same size as that of LS2.
My old Studds Jade was a tight fit in the Activa. I don't know why scooter manufacturers take a look at popular regular sized helmets in the market when designing their storage compartments. Do they expect scooter riders to use only cheap, improper fitting helmets?
Old 12th November 2018, 10:40   #2688
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Hello Riders,

I'm using a Vega Axor 2014 DOT certified helmet with ISI mark

It's due for replacement/upgrade. I'm comfortable with spending 4k to 7k on the new lid.

Options:
1. Axor stealth
2. SMK Twister/others
3. MT Targo/Thunder 3

Recently HJC has flooded local stores in Pune. But the visor cost of 2200 keeps me away from them.

Having prescription glasses, I don't prefer internal sun visor. It adds too many refractive surfaces! So the only choice is MT Targo.

Any users here who can share their experience. Other options are welcome except LS2.

Try and buy is the protocol so imports can wait too.

Cheers,
surjaonwheelz
Despite the visor pricing that you mentioned, I would suggest that you go with the HJC CS15 which I believe is priced at around Rs 6,500 in India. The weight is pretty reasonable at 1.45 kg and is a 4* SHARP rated helmet. Yes, the visor price does seem high but in my experience, if you take good care of your helmet, you would probably need to replace the visor once in its lifetime, at most.

The Targo on the other hand is slightly heavier and isnt SHARP tested yet. MT visors are between Rs 1000 to 1,700 (taken from SPG website).

If you consider a likely 48 month ownership period, the Rs 2,200 visor works out to an additional Rs 46 per month over the price of the helmet, assuming you actually need it. Thats a seemingly minuscule delta amount for a lighter and 4* SHARP rated helmet.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 01:19   #2689
BHPian

Picked up this Vega Off-Road helmet for only around 950rs in the recent Amazon sale. I am currently using Studds shifter for my 2010 FZ-16 which i got for around 1600rs. This Vega one will be for pillion whom i give lift occasionally.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_5718.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_5719.jpg

The bike is used solely for city roundabouts and the helmets are quite decent for their price. The Vega one has a mirror finish internal sun visor compared with black in Studds. Looks pretty cool with the red fz.
Old 16th November 2018, 09:04   #2690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Despite the visor pricing that you mentioned, I would suggest that you go with the HJC CS15 which I believe is priced at around Rs 6,500 in India. The weight is pretty reasonable at 1.45 kg and is a 4* SHARP rated helmet.
Thanks mate!

I'll try HJC for sure before deciding on which one to buy. Also, CS15 has slimmer proportions as compared to Targo or ThunderIII SV from MT.
Both Mugello and ThunderIII SV has 4* SHARP ratings. Stinger and Targo are not rated yet.

The recently updated Axor (X) lineup looks very promising. Need to check in person if it's worth an upgrade.

Ride Safe
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 10:05   #2691
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

After a lot of pondering, bought this Arai XD4 yesterday from Revzilla.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-x002.jpg  

//M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 10:47   #2692
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mate!

I'll try HJC for sure before deciding on which one to buy. Also, CS15 has slimmer proportions as compared to Targo or ThunderIII SV from MT.
Both Mugello and ThunderIII SV has 4* SHARP ratings. Stinger and Targo are not rated yet.

The recently updated Axor (X) lineup looks very promising. Need to check in person if it's worth an upgrade.

Ride Safe
MT does have one 5* SHARP rated helmet to my recollection, I forget the name of it though. MT helmets are really good but I have seen some riders moving on from MT helmets after a while to options that give plusher comfort and padding.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 11:16   #2693
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
MT does have one 5* SHARP rated helmet to my recollection, I forget the name of it though. MT helmets are really good but I have seen some riders moving on from MT helmets after a while to options that give plusher comfort and padding.
MT revenge was the model, but now I understand there is one more from MT which has got 5 star rating.

MT is VFM, quality is also decent. When I say decent, it is not premium, is what I mean. Little noisy at high speed is another issue. But for an amateur like me who does office commute and 3 or 4 trips a year (really long rides) works fine
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 15:59   #2694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
That's top of the line adv/dual-sport helmet. When are you getting it in India? Congratulations!

Ride safe
Old 18th November 2018, 07:17   #2695
BHPian

Buying experience:
Chopra Helmets, Karol Bagh, Delhi.

My budget was <5k and was focused on a globally certified helmet. So finally after reading everything in this post, I had concluded that MT mugello was my final choice. I was steering towards LS2, buy there is a long post/investigation on xbhp which concludes that the LS2 certification may not be legit.

Once at the shop, I tried the Mugello, but was somehow not impressed. The sales guy there asked me to try SMK . I liked the fit and finish and most importantly was impressed by the ECE certificate dangling along with the price tag. That SMK is listed on the pinlock website gave my confidence to proceed with an Indian make. The ECE certificate looks genuine, along with many specific details.

SMK twister was finalized . I tried a few helmets and found them all to be very tight. The sales guy taught me how to put it on the right way. Finally I was happy with the XL which is still a snug fit. I also got a good deal at 4000/- which is 300 lower than the online price and well below my planned budget

I am now convinced that irrecpective of the budget, its a good idea to buy fit sensitive items like helmets from the shop. Chopra might be a small shop, but his godown half a km away has good variety. Thanks everyone for your contribution to this thread and happy riding...
sukarsan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 10:07   #2696
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's top of the line adv/dual-sport helmet. When are you getting it in India? Congratulations!

Ride safe
Thank You !

Currently delivered to my friend in San Jose. He will be carrying it for me to India most likely in early January.
Old 19th November 2018, 10:54   #2697
Senior - BHPian

Is there any full face helmet with visor but wide opening of glass? The off road helmets have good sun visor, but the nose area is pinched up, hampering the downwards visibility. The helmets with good open area do not come with sunvisors. Are there any additional sun visors that can be fitted?
Old 19th November 2018, 12:35   #2698
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have never worn the helmet until recently, must recommend the one BMW sells in India. These are now available at discounted prices of around 30K. Worth a try, but my experience is strictly based on usage of just one model from BMW so guys like you can definitely compare better.
Old 19th November 2018, 16:28   #2699
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I have never worn the helmet until recently, must recommend the one BMW sells in India. These are now available at discounted prices of around 30K. Worth a try, but my experience is strictly based on usage of just one model from BMW so guys like you can definitely compare better.
Thanks for the suggestion sir. I am not sure which one do they sell but being BMW, I am sure it would be from one of the top of the line helmet brands only.

I will check with Lutyens Motorrad as well.
Old 19th November 2018, 19:09   #2700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure which one do they sell but being BMW, I am sure it would be from one of the top of the line helmet brands only.
You are right. BMW usually sells Schuberth helmets only in their outlets world over - which is one of the best helmets available.

Not so sure if they stok other brands as well or not.

What you've bought is one of the best helmets as well and usually in US you get the best price possible specially in the "sale" mode.

Best Regards and Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 19th November 2018 at 19:11.
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks