Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2022, 20:24   #3391
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Dear BHPians,

I need suggestions to buy helmet online.

Background:-
I tried looking for modular helmet online and zeroed down to SMK Gullwing size L from Motocentral.in.

Suggestions for any reliable online store are welcome. I know its best to try in at store but that's not an option for me.

Thanks and regards
Call it coincidence or whatever one may, I just received my order of an AGV visor from MotoCentral in the evening today. I know it's not exactly comparable to ordering a helmet, but sharing my opinion nonetheless.
I interacted with the owner (If I'm not wrong) on multiple occasions on call, and he replied with utmost patience and calm all the time (My OCD got triggered after placing the order and he had to bare the brunt of multiple nagging calls).
The packing was pretty commendable too, although just a visor, it was bubble wrapped, and put in a box, which itself was bubble wrapped too.
Shipping from Pune to Thane took approx 2 days, and this was with standard shipping. I wonder how fast the expedited shipping would be!

Last edited by Torque_Curve : 11th January 2022 at 20:25.
Torque_Curve is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 21:14   #3392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque_Curve View Post
Call it coincidence or whatever one may, I just received my order of an AGV visor from MotoCentral in the evening today.
I am glad that I am hunting at the right site at least. However my interaction with them wasn't great. I spoke to a youngster, with little knowledge of helmets. Will connect to them again once my helmet is delivered back to them.
You too were considering SMK at some point of time. What did you finally go for?

Cheers
Old 11th January 2022, 21:25   #3393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
I am glad that I am hunting at the right site at least. However my interaction with them wasn't great. I spoke to a youngster, with little knowledge of helmets. Will connect to them again once my helmet is delivered back to them.
You too were considering SMK at some point of time. What did you finally go for?

Cheers
I'll drop the number and name in your dm, should help incase they're different.
I'm still considering SMK as my daily, have a while to go before I purchase one. The AGV landed a few days ago and WFH is currently underway so not exactly in a hurry to get it. Plus the occasional lack of Vitamin-M after an AGV, so the lesser I say, the better!
Torque_Curve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 15:29   #3394
BHPian

Look for clear visors for Sparx helmet for the last couple of months with no luck. Any leads in Bangalore would be appreciated.
Old 20th January 2022, 15:41   #3395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post
Look for clear visors for Sparx helmet for the last couple of months with no luck. Any leads in Bangalore would be appreciated.
Its going to be nearly impossible to find visors for KBC / Sparx helmets in India in 2022. Imports of these helmets stopped long ago and so these parts arent available. How old is your helmet?
Old 24th January 2022, 11:07   #3396
BHPian

There are some ISI/ECE/DOT certified helmets available:

Axor (Vega)
SMK (Studds)

Axxis (From MT)
MT (I learned on the Targo Pro & Blade 2 SV, need to check other models)
- The prices have increased to 7,800/- for Targo Pro & 9,550/- for Blade 2 SV

KYT TT Course, NF-R

So some players are going for the ISI certification but for MT it comes at a cost!

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 24th January 2022 at 11:11.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 10:39   #3397

I purchased Axor Apex with pin lock insert. I have this air bubble in the pinlock. The shop (Rainbow Helmets Chennai) says it is nothing. Is this normal or should I have the pin lock checked?

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_0795.jpg
vetrivaaganam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 12:10   #3398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetrivaaganam View Post
I purchased Axor Apex with pin lock insert. I have this air bubble in the pinlock. The shop (Rainbow Helmets Chennai) says it is nothing. Is this normal or should I have the pin lock checked?
From the pic it seems as if a portion of the pinlock is touching the visor.

As far as I know, the middle part of the pinlock shouldn't touch the visor. Only the seal should be in contact. This way, the middle part of the pinlock and the visor have a small pocket of air between them which helps prevent fogging.

I may be wrong of course - perhaps someone with a bit more experience can confirm.

If the helmet doesn't fog up and this bubble doesn't distract you while riding, then there's probably no need to worry.

You can try to re-attach the pinlock yourself (there are thousands of videos on Youtube on how do to it). It feels a little scary the first time, but if you do it the right way there's no need to worry.
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 19:18   #3399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Its going to be nearly impossible to find visors for KBC / Sparx helmets in India in 2022. Imports of these helmets stopped long ago and so these parts arent available. How old is your helmet?
Its a few years old and served me well. There is nothing wrong with it other than the fact that i have damaged the visor and would really appreciate it if anyone can help me source another clear visor. In hindsight I never thought that helmet spares would be a problem. What do you guys think of REs Street Prime series?
Old 28th January 2022, 23:16   #3400
BHPian

Can the small visor on RE's scrambler helmet be replaced by a longer visor on some of their other open face helmets?

For reference
Scrambler helmet: https://store.royalenfield.com/scram...ess-matt-white

Other open face helmets
Copter: https://store.royalenfield.com/mlg-l...-squadron-blue

Or say
Spirit: https://store.royalenfield.com/spiri...-red-and-white

I want to buy a scrambler helmet for its graphics but prefer a long visor, hence the question.

Thanks in advance!
Old 29th January 2022, 00:29   #3401
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

One question please. In the current environment what is the best “modular” helmet one can buy in India? Online options are acceptable but retail stores in MH would be brilliant.

A friend of mine is looking for a modular in the largest possible size - say XXXL or similar. He would have ordinarily picked up a Schuberth / HJC or similar but those are unfortunately not retailed in the current situation with BIS / ISI etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old 29th January 2022, 10:10   #3402
BHPian

I picked up the Axor Rage Carbon Warfare helmet for 8k.

It's the cheapest carbon fibre helmet in India by far.

Took it for its first long ride from Mumbai to Daman and back and it's noticeable lighter weight helped reduce neck fatigue during the ride.

It's a snug fit so even though all my previous helmets were L size this felt quite tight but there was no pressure on any sensitive areas and I always use a balaclava with this helmet.

No sun visor but Axor tinted visors are easily available and cheap so you can buy one every year if required. The helmet has the D ring fasteners which I honestly don't like due to the convenience factor of a regular fastener but D rings are more secure.

If you are looking for a light weight helmet I can highly recommend the Axor Rage Carbon Warfare.

https://www.axorhelmets.com/index.ph...product_id=223
bf1983 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 20:50   #3403
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post

It's the cheapest carbon fibre helmet in India by far.

Took it for its first long ride from Mumbai to Daman and back and it's noticeable lighter weight helped reduce neck fatigue during the ride.

If you are looking for a light weight helmet I can highly recommend the Axor Rage Carbon Warfare.

https://www.axorhelmets.com/index.ph...product_id=223
I could not find any modular (flip up) helmet in their range though.
Old 29th January 2022, 23:18   #3404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I could not find any modular (flip up) helmet in their range though.
Considering the non-ISI helmet ban, the ideal modular option would be SMK helmets : SMK Modular Helmets. I think most of the helmet stores in MH stock SMK - so your friend can even check it for fitting!
TheVaas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 22:32   #3405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetrivaaganam View Post
That is not properly installed. And I assume that it is pretty distracting for you, while riding.

Removing the pin lock visor and reinstalling it might not work. The store guys might have to take the pinlock visor from the box of another Axor helmet and install it for you. Assuming they have goofed up the installation, ask them to do it again in front of you to your satisfaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post
Its a few years old and served me well. There is nothing wrong with it other than the fact that i have damaged the visor and would really appreciate it if anyone can help me source another clear visor.
These KBC and Sparx helmets were importing between 2008 and 2015 or so (roughly speaking). That is why I asked about the age of the helmet. Do check the manufacturing date on the inside of your helmet, to double check. I too have used a KBC helmet in the past and the quality was really good.

In 2022, its highly unlikely that you will be able to find a new replacement visor for it. If you have some friends who have old KBC / Sparx helmets lying around at their homes, with good quality visors, then that is probably your best solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaas View Post
Considering the non-ISI helmet ban, the ideal modular option would be SMK helmets : SMK Modular Helmets. I think most of the helmet stores in MH stock SMK - so your friend can even check it for fitting!
+1 to the SMK modular helmets. Im not the biggest fan of modular helmets but I recently found a gentleman buying an SMK modular helmet and it seemed to be a pretty good choice. The ECE certification is a huge feather in its cap and overall, it looks like a solid buy. The Indian manufacturers have been upping their game.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks