Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2022, 17:27   #3511
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
I exhausted all options, then got in touch with Airoh Italy, they asked for pictures, subsequently provided me with the link to buy it directly from the company online. Placed an order, 14 Eur worth and 62 Eur worth of shipping
Let us hope the Indian customs do not throw up their own tantrums and hoping for a non astronomical duty figure.
arpanjha, you are lucky indeed! A few months back, fellow enthusiasts who needed Airoh spares reached out to the company in Italy and they said that the parts were not available. Hence my suggestion to look for a local workaround. Anyways, all well that ends well.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 19:15   #3512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
arpanjha, you are lucky indeed! A few months back, fellow enthusiasts who needed Airoh spares reached out to the company in Italy and they said that the parts were not available. Hence my suggestion to look for a local workaround. Anyways, all well that ends well.
Before the Italian office came back to me, what I had started doing is, getting a 3D model developed of the part and was about to put it on the 3D printer (which I have access to from office). But I was stuck on a specific dimension, main dimension of the locking head. I tried taking dimension on the profile projector, but could not. I was about to stamp it out on a dough, but by then heard back from Airoh.
Let us hope I get it soon with minimal customs harassment.
Old 21st May 2022, 19:29   #3513
BHPian

Hi does anyone know a good offline store in South or South-West Bangalore to buy riding gear? If a store is within a 15 minute cab ride from a metro station is then that is also fine.

The only one I can think of is 6000 miles to Isle of Man as that is a walkable distance away from the Cubbon park metro station but even then it would be an almost 45 minute trip one way (10 minutes or so by bike to the nearest metro station + 25 minutes from that metro station to cubbon park metro station and then another 7-8 minutes of walking to the 6000 Miles to IOM store)
Old 22nd May 2022, 05:21   #3514
Senior - BHPian

You need to be on automotive street in JC road area, opposite Urvashi Theatre. Adheshwar Auto Arena is where I go often. For expensive stuff just try the shop opposite MTR Restaurant (lalbagh)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
Hi does anyone know a good offline store in South or South-West Bangalore to buy riding gear? If a store is within a 15 minute cab ride from a metro station is then that is also fine
Old 23rd May 2022, 09:28   #3515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
Hi does anyone know a good offline store in South or South-West Bangalore to buy riding gear? If a store is within a 15 minute cab ride from a metro station is then that is also fine.
Orion Motors is the place to go. They have the widest range of offerings in Bangalore and are a pleasure to deal with. It is located opposite the Forum Mall in Koramangala. A lot of TBHPians are happy riding gear customers of Orion Motors.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 09:47   #3516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Prices of a new Arai when I checked in Chiap Lee were around 900 / 960 SGD (can't recall exactly) which is still good value for a top of line Arai.
Those helmets used to be under 800 SGD and would be on sale for 750 SGD often. My brother knows Chiap Lee very well and has often procured several helmets from them. Unfortunately they have reduced their inventory significantly and don't carry much stocks. There are other online distributors who carry better Arai inventory in Singapore.
no_fear is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 10:09   #3517
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
There are other online distributors who carry better Arai inventory in Singapore.
Can you please post the details of these distributors here? Will keep it in mind whenever I travel next to Singapore.

Thank you.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 11:42   #3518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Can you please post the details of these distributors here? Will keep it in mind whenever I travel next to Singapore.

Thank you.
Here you go.

http://www.stellarmotoburner.com/

https://reginaspecialties.com/

https://helmetboys.com/

Stellar and Helmet keep Arai helmets. Regina and Stellar have physical shops but they are in industrial areas. Helmetboys operates online. Regina can bring in Arai if you request them.

The problem with Chiap Lee is that they always lag in ordering inventory. They used to have a large selection and then during Covid, they drastically reduced. Now that Singapore has opened up, they haven't scaled up. They are the only helmet shop that offers the 7% GST refund if you bring your passport.

For those of you who want to buy from motardinn - avoid them. They are a classic case of switch and bait. They display low prices but don't actually have the inventory. They will make you wait for months before you give up and ask for a refund. Plenty of online review sites have given them very poor feedback.
no_fear is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 11:52   #3519
BHPian

After a long time this weekend decided to go on a solo ride of 150 Kms on my classic 350. The first thing I noticed is that my STUDDS helmet is really not suitable for this and it was becoming scary even at max 80-85 KMPH that my 2016 classic is capable of doing without rocking my world.
Post coming home immediately went to Powersports showroom in HSR.
They had a good stock on MT helmets and I got the MT Targo Truck. I was anyway planning to get a helmet before my CBR comes home in August but one ride really got me scared.
I liked the MT blade series very much but the main problem was it did not come with double d-ring and for my purchase this time I wanted it, strange decision by MT to remove this feature from the more expensive model of the brand. The second sun visor did not excite me as I was anyway planning to get a second smoke visor but yes the metal locking mechanism for the visor is good to have during crashes.
Fit wise both were quite snug, I expected my size to be L but M was a better fit with no noticeable pressure points during the 5 mins I spend wearing it in the shop.

Will share my observations again post break-in of the helmet.
.sourov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 12:11   #3520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sourov View Post
Will share my observations again post break-in of the helmet.
Congratulations Sourov. Pictures always, no post without pictures

Do post pictures when you post your observations or even before that if suitable.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 20:52   #3521
BHPian

Finally got the visor plates from AIROH Italy. Please don’t ask about the cost and associated nuisance. I just got too determined ��
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-0e2a84308c4743deb926a585b0cd4f18.jpeg  

Last edited by arpanjha : 24th May 2022 at 20:53.
arpanjha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 09:50   #3522
BHPian

A review for the SMK Titan:

In previous posts I mentioned how I was unsure of this helmet and wished I had bought an LS2 or MT instead. I am quite happy with the helmet for now though, here are some things I like and dislike. I went for this lid as I wanted a fixed full face helmet that fit me well and the LS2 and MT wouldn’t even go down my head.
Good stuff: the fit and finish is good, the paint quality of the shell, the fittings and all seem to be better or as good as other helmets in the sub 10k range. The padding quality is also good, and it comes standard with pin lock visor. I tried to fog it purposefully by exhaling with my mouth but didn’t see any fog. The shell is also made up of glass fibre and should be better than other polycarbonate lids. Thumbs up for that. I like the colour, I wanted a simple white helmet but this will do I suppose.
The helmet felt significantly better than other SMK offerings in terms of quality and finish.
The bad: it has a goofy set up for the top air vents, instead of having two small slots which slide open, there is one larger hut shaped housing which you push up to open. When I saw it first, I felt that this would create a lot of wind noise and drag and it is a noisy helmet. The wind noise at 80 wasn’t deafening or anything but I feel for long rides I would need to use a pair of ear plugs. The ventilation works fine, though the wind noise increases significantly when the vents are open which is normal I suppose, this is my first helmet so nothing to compare it with.
The helmet is noisy even with them shut, I think the top vent design just makes it noisy even when shut.
The helmet also has weird bicycle helmet style indents on top, I am not a fan and I think a simple shape would be the best for crash protection. It also looks strange.
And the final negative would be that it is doesn’t have double d rings, I wanted a lid with d rings but the largest axor didn’t even go down my head
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-72f75cec1e454c7d8452929f1c3e398c.jpeg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-ae97576c20864311bf973bbaeac02425.jpeg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-1dbed108ee4e468bada69cfebcf8f363.jpeg  

Doge is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 09:25   #3523
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.advrider.com/new-euro-he...ges-worldwide/

Quote:

Now, the helmet testers in the Eurozone have upped the helmet testing regimen with a new safety standard, known cryptically as “ECE 22.06.” As we are sure you’re well aware, it’s an upgrade over the well-known but dated ECE 22.05 standard, which you memorized long ago. ECE 22.06 actually went into effect in January in the EU, but according to a moto.it, helmet makers hoping to sell hats in the EU after July 1st will need to hit the .06 mark.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 20:33   #3524
Senior - BHPian

The Renegade was hand carried by my cousin and is really great in that STEALTH shade. Air Vents all around is the first thing I notice and I can feel the cool air just storming in on rides. The fit is the best I have ever had on. Arai is an Arai, truly!
Features:
Antimicrobial interior
Super quiet technology
The shield is invisible. Just cant make out anything is there (VAS-V)
Extreme Venting
Comfort Foam
Max vision (End to end)
Spectacle friendly
Visor lock
The renown R75 shape
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_3185.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 20:24   #3525
BHPian

Can anyone recommend a good helmet for me? I only ride a Honda Dio in and around the city of Pune. Highest speeds I ride at are 60kmph and not more. Conservative riding style. Maximum of 80-100 km a week within city limits.

Have used a Vega helmet whose face could be opened up for 6 years. It's locking mechanism finally broke so looking for a new one.

Not looking for anything too fancy or high performance since my requirements do not dictate that. Will a simple Vega or Studds helmet suffice?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks