Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2022, 10:17   #3541
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

I have noticed an issue with the Axor recently -

There is a bit of a gap at the top of the visor maybe to accommodate the X logo. During heavy rains, water tends to seep into the inside of the visor - starts off with a small drop that leaves droplets but before you know it, droplets everywhere leading to visibility issues especially in the night.

If you are someone who has good vision, it is manageable, you can ride with the visor up as a last resort, but for people with glasses, it is a bit of a problem. Either way it makes having a pinlock redundant.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-axor.jpg

This gap seems to be much smaller on a MT, but I haven't had the chance to test this during heavy rains.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-mt.jpg

I wanted to check with you guys with nicer lids, Is this something that happens on all helmets / is it a budget helmet problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
My wife is looking for a full-face helmet under 3K. Using a Studds Shifter as of now.

She wants a compact helmet which is less showy.
Have a look at the Axxis segment. The matte colored ones are around that budget, you can put in a pinlock later if needed.

Last edited by Grimlock : 21st August 2022 at 10:22.
Grimlock is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 15:38   #3542
BHPian

Hello All,

Greetings!

I'm planning to get a new Helmet for me. I don't have much insights about different brands. looking for some suggestions from our members to get one.

My Usage : 90% city rides & 10% long rides.

Preferences:

1. Full face helmet
2. Dual visors
3. Light weight preferred
4. Air vents
5. Safe locking system

Budget : 5 - 10k

Thanks in advance

Last edited by M-Roc : 24th August 2022 at 15:48.
M-Roc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 16:52   #3543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
I wanted to check with you guys with nicer lids, Is this something that happens on all helmets / is it a budget helmet problem?
There should be some sort of a seal that is in contact with the top of the visor when it is closed.

Something like this:
Name:  visorseal.png
Views: 1346
Size:  80.1 KB

I believe this prevents water from entering the top of the visor. Over time you'll see tiny vertical scratches on the visor as it comes in contact with the seal.

I've used my previous MT Revenge and the current Caberg Duke 2 in heavy rains (wearing prescription glasses) with no such problems.
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 17:54   #3544
BHPian

Picked up the SMK Retro helmet couple of weeks back. Wrote a small review with more photos in the ownership thread here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5386697 (Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review)

Pros:
  • Fantastic retro design with some modern features
  • Double D ring lock
  • Comes with Pinlock 70 preinstalled
  • Anti-microbial treated removable liners
  • Provision for wearing sunglasses and helmet goggles
Cons:
  • On the heavier side at 1650g
  • Wind noise
  • Expensive at Rs5.7k. I think 5k is a good price considering the above pros & cons.
  • No tinted visor available at the time of purchase
  • Lack of availability. Especially S size and white color

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-interceptor-silver-blitz-650-smk-retro-royal-enfiled-nh44-helmet-4.jpg
Torino is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 21:57   #3545
BHPian

I have a question regarding safety ratings and Indian helmets.

Even though the latest ECE 22.06 has been released, due to lack of options from reliable Indian manufacturers(Steelbird/Vega/studds/etc), I will limit my query to ECE 22.05.

If an Indian manufacturer offers an ECE 22.05 level helmet at a price point of say 50% of a foreign manufacturer, would there be any difference from a safety standpoint?

For the purpose of this comparison, let's ignore the following:

1. Wearing comfort
2. Padding longevity
3. Noise intrusion
4. Ease of repair (visor change/padding change)
5. Quality of accessories/ plastic bits which have no bearing on the safety aspect

Last edited by kosjam : 24th August 2022 at 21:59. Reason: typos
kosjam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 07:47   #3546
Senior - BHPian

My cousin who is visiting from the UK used my LS2 STORM and isn't returning it (It's sold-out and though I managed to get one, not in my colour preference). So I procured the LS2 Thunder FF805 (Helmet on the right) - Full carbon with kevlar, it's the lightest helmet. Comfort-wise, it's a few steps above the STORM. The single click front button to raise the visor is superb. Air vents are well designed (There is a 'seriously thought-through' chin bar vent that directs a good amount of air onto the face) and their new visor detaching system works in a snap.

Features:
FIM, ECE 22.05, DOT approved racing grade
Carbon shell with Kevlar
Pinlock included
Long oval fitment
Optically correct visor
EQRS
Double D ring
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_8968.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_8948.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 27th August 2022 at 08:09.
Sebring is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 10:30   #3547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
My cousin who is visiting from the UK used my LS2 STORM and isn't returning it (It's sold-out and though I managed to get one, not in my colour preference). So I procured the LS2 Thunder FF805 (Helmet on the right)
From where did you purchase this?and cost?
Thamps is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 14:33   #3548
Senior - BHPian

It's not available in Blor. PitStop Pune is charging 29K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamps View Post
From where did you purchase this?and cost?
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 12:49   #3549
BHPian

Hi all,
I have an MT Blade SV bought 5yrs ago. While i like the fit, couple of issues I felt and wanted your thoughts.
1. Weight: It is marked as 1500gms. I feel it is heavy to wear. I want to know what would be average weight, as per price range of 6-7k. I am aware there could be lighter ones which super expensive and low priced ones with poor plastics.

2. While riding, I get hit in eyes by a thin stream of air, maybe coming from beneath chin area. Over longer distances, this leads to eyes getting tired. Is this normal? Any remedy?

I don't want to buy a.nre helmet at this stage unless it is absolutely necessary. My riding has gone down drastically and I don't feel the need for replacement right away.
rich_heart is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 15:01   #3550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
Hi all,
1. Weight: ...
More or less helmets in this price range and certifications made of polycarbonate will weigh the same. Going for Carbon fiber helmets will help you save about 200 to 500 grams at the most. But the price will increase exponentially as the weight reduces.

Quote:
2. While riding, I get hit in the eyes...
This is odd and should not be happening. Check whether the chin curtain can be replaced and also whether this happens when the front intake is open. There is a possibility that something in the front vent is redirecting air upwards.

Quote:
I don't want to buy a.nre helmet at this stage unless it is absolutely necessary. My riding has gone down drastically and I don't feel the need for replacement right away.
It has been five years since you have got the helmet. Going by manufacturers recommendation, you should be replacing the helmet now. Knowing how plastics in general degrade, why don't you use this as chance to get a new helmet in another brand or different model.
skviknaraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 11:18   #3551
BHPian

Quote:
It's not available in Blor. PitStop Pune is charging 29K
Great lid, may be the most affordable FIM certified lid available right now!

These race bred helmets are designed for the full tuck position, how does it fair in your riding style?

PitStop, Pune - never heard of this store, please share some more details.

Pro Biker Helmets, Camp (MG Road) are having these.

Also, show us all the things you got in the helmet bag

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 10:47   #3552
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Roc View Post
I'm planning to get a new Helmet for me. I don't have much insights about different brands. looking for some suggestions from our members to get one.

My Usage : 90% city rides & 10% long rides.
Check out the LS2 Storm. It will fall in your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post
I have a question regarding safety ratings and Indian helmets.

Even though the latest ECE 22.06 has been released, due to lack of options from reliable Indian manufacturers(Steelbird/Vega/studds/etc), I will limit my query to ECE 22.05.

If an Indian manufacturer offers an ECE 22.05 level helmet at a price point of say 50% of a foreign manufacturer, would there be any difference from a safety standpoint?

For the purpose of this comparison, let's ignore the following:

1. Wearing comfort
2. Padding longevity
3. Noise intrusion
4. Ease of repair (visor change/padding change)
5. Quality of accessories/ plastic bits which have no bearing on the safety aspect
kosjam, I dont really know if anyone on the forum is qualified to answer this with verifiable facts. ECE, FIM, SHARP certifications provide a minimum standard that helmets adhere to. So, from that perspective, yes the Axor, Royal Enfield, TVS and SMK helmets that meet ECE 22.05 standards offer fantastic safety for the low price that they command. Where the international brands often score well, is on the listed factors that we are ignoring.

Quote:
Hi all,
I have an MT Blade SV bought 5yrs ago. While i like the fit, couple of issues I felt and wanted your thoughts.
1. Weight: It is marked as 1500gms. I feel it is heavy to wear. I want to know what would be average weight, as per price range of 6-7k. I am aware there could be lighter ones which super expensive and low priced ones with poor plastics.

2. While riding, I get hit in eyes by a thin stream of air, maybe coming from beneath chin area. Over longer distances, this leads to eyes getting tired. Is this normal? Any remedy?

rich_heart, it is recommended to change a helmet once it crosses the 5 year mark. Most riders change it between 5 and 6 years. Like TBHPian skviknaraj recommended, now would be a good time to get yourself a new helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Great lid, may be the most affordable FIM certified lid available right now!

These race bred helmets are designed for the full tuck position, how does it fair in your riding style?

PitStop, Pune - never heard of this store, please share some more details.

Pro Biker Helmets, Camp (MG Road) are having these.

Also, show us all the things you got in the helmet bag
surjaonwheelz, if Im not mistaken, this is the only FIM certified helmet that is being sold in India right now. I dont think these have reached Cochin yet. Do they have an ISI certification? Last I checked, they werent on the official LS2 India site. If I didnt have the Airoh GP 550 (also FIM certified), I would be very interested in the LS2 Thunder helmet. For the price that it retails at, the LS2 Storm really punches above its weight. I wouldnt be surprised if that was also the case with the new Thunder helmets.

neil.jericho is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 18:33   #3553
Senior - BHPian

It fares well. Foremost, I'm happy with the low weight factor but remains stable on the head (All day comfy) Comfort, fitment, and protection are top notch and I recommend you check it out. PitStop is a new entity, and a google search for the helmet pulled them up. In the box are a premium bag, a semi-hard case, extra visor, pinlock, 4-6 sheets of disposable visor protectors and neck support (Needs to be inflated)
Quote:
These race bred helmets are designed for the full tuck position, how does it fair in your riding style? PitStop, Pune - never heard of this store, please share some more details. Pro Biker Helmets, Camp (MG Road) are having these. Also, show us all the things you got in the helmet bag
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_9312.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_9313.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 19:43   #3554
BHPian

Quote:
In the box area premium bag, a semi-hard case, extra visor, pinlock,
4-6 sheets of disposable visor protectors and
neck support (Needs to be inflated)
Quote:
- 4-6 sheets of disposable visor protectors and
- neck support (Needs to be inflated)
Those are,
- Racing Tear-offs (seen MotoGP riders peel them off on the go)
- Helmet donut (used to rest the helmet upside down for cleaning/drying)

That's a lot of goodies in the box!

I always had the apprehension that if one gets used to CF light weight helmets then there's no coming back from them. Normal helmets might seem super heavy to use later!

Wish you many safe miles with the Thunder Carbon

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 30th August 2022 at 19:45.
surjaonwheelz is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 23:30   #3555
Senior - BHPian

That's hundred percent true. I wont return to normal helmets
Quote:
I always had the apprehension that if one gets used to CF light weight helmets then there's no coming back from them. Normal helmets might seem super heavy to use later! Wish you many safe miles with the Thunder Carbon
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks