Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2023, 18:27   #3691
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
I know it's off topic here (already posted in the bluetooth headphones thread) , but cross posting in this thread as well since I expect more reach.

Is there a Bluetooth earphone available which can be worn while wearing a helmet? One which doesn't rub against the lining and can be worn inside the balaclava.
The common ones available juts out of the ear and is painful to use in a helmet.
The only ones I can think about which will fit the requirement are the bean shaped Galaxy buds live. But these are not in production any more, so getting your hands on them might be difficult. Secondly they do not give a sealed fit, so if noise cancellation is something u are looking for, you wont have it. finally, the balaclava will still have to be worn to protect them from slipping out during helmet wearing/ removal

Last edited by kosjam : 4th March 2023 at 18:28. Reason: typo
kosjam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 19:28   #3692
Senior - BHPian

Hi how would you guys rate the internal shape of the MT helmets? I have a round head and looking for something that fits me. The ones for oval heads starts hurting above my ears after a while.
Old 4th March 2023, 23:07   #3693
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMachine View Post
You're welcome bb! Glad I could help. Did you find the 'E' label on your helmet chinstrap?
Yup, exactly at that chinstrap with a E1 printed on it.
Old 5th March 2023, 13:22   #3694
BHPian

I am using a KYT TT course helmet. But unfortunately it hurts the upper part of my ears. I wanted to ask what should be the shape of helmet for me? I tried searching for the shape of KYT helmets but couldn't find much. I am thinking of buying a new lid to replace this.
Any suggestions for the same would be appreciated, any particular brand or product. My budget is around 30k and I don't don't have any acquaintance abroad for now so it would have to be available in India.
Old 5th March 2023, 22:29   #3695
Senior - BHPian

I rode just 500 Kms on it and touring experience was good. Not AGV level comfy, but good nevertheless. I'm currently not in India, will post more soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix.rider View Post
Sebring, can you please share your experience with this helmet. I am planning on buying one. Since this is a race helmet, i wanted to know how comfortable this is for touring purpose. I also do track session but mostly it will be used for touring purpose and 2 track session in 1 year.

Last edited by Sebring : 5th March 2023 at 22:30.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 11:32   #3696
Team-BHP Support

I am having a weird issue with my pinlock visor on the new LS2 helmet.

At nighttime the lights of the oncoming vehicles are getting messy. Its like there are 3 more lights to the left and 3 more lights to the right of the main light.

This is extremely irritating. One way of avoiding this is by changing my angle of viewing but that is not feasible as I cant keep my neck in an unnatural position everytime there is an opposite vehicle.

Googling says that this happens with some pinlocks but there is no definitive answer.

Please HELP!
Old 9th March 2023, 14:36   #3697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
At nighttime the lights of the oncoming vehicles are getting messy. Its like there are 3 more lights to the left and 3 more lights to the right of the main light.

This is extremely irritating. One way of avoiding this is by changing my angle of viewing but that is not feasible as I cant keep my neck in an unnatural position everytime there is an opposite vehicle.

Please HELP!
A few dumb but necessary questions:

1) Did you clean the inside of the visor before installing Pinlock insert?

2) Did you keep the Pinlock insert streak/smear-free while installing?

3) Is the Pinlock insert edge completely stuck to your helmet visor - end to end without any gaps?

4) Does the PI have any scratches? It's a delicate material and prone to scratches, has to be handled like a baby.
Old 9th March 2023, 15:41   #3698
Team-BHP Support

Yes, to all these questions.

Googling shows that some pinlocks are just not meant for use at night. Looks like I hit the lottery in getting one that is like that.

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/p...riding.1376403
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 09:59   #3699
BHPian

I have a Blade 2SV from MT. This is a large size.
I've purchased a couple of spare visors - clear and dark and fitted the pinlock inserts on both. While in foggy rides, they work well, on one visor, the tab that holds the insert snapped off within a couple of weeks and I had to get another visor. Now, on the other clear visor, the insert does not stay on - gaps and at one time, it came off. This was the insert given by the folks in the store who are awesome.
The sizing of the MT range varies from my experience. If I remember correctly, Revenge 2 had the double D rings vs. the ratchet strap setup on the more expensive Blade 2SV. The same size on the Revenege shell did not fit my head shape as the Blade 2SV and had to take the latter.
Oddly, she is a noisy shell. Even with the vents closed, anything above 70Ks, it's a riot inside. I've now had to resort to earplugs on all rides. The vent on the top, even when closed seems to act like an air dam and adds to the noise along with the visor mount points on either side.
To compare, my previous shell was an Icon Airflite (medium size). That shell is known to be noisy/windy given its unique visor design (flite-shield). On back-to-back rides, the Airflite is noticeably quieter. Also, the sun visor on the MT did not seem to be optically stable. When used, I tend to get mild migraines and have to put it away (when I ride with the clear visor). On the much older Airflite, no such issues.
Powersports folks did say that around April they expect a few HJCs to get the BIS clearances to sell with the ISI stickers. Here's hoping for more choices later this year.
Else, I am quite keen on another and newer Icon Airflite with the ECE 22.06
Few other shells can give better visibility to an Icon Airflite - be it the rider or others who see the shell on the rider.
Old 10th March 2023, 11:50   #3700
Senior - BHPian

Is there anyone who uses the SMK Typhoon here?

I got an SMK Typhoon Thorn (GL-136) a few months ago to replace my aged KYT RC-7. However, for all the vents it has on the outside, I can hardly see any inside. The ventilation appears to be extremely poor. It feels impossible to use the helmet in the city because it never feels like there is air circulating within the helmet. I end up feeling fatigued and tired after using this helmet even for a 30-minute ride. Yes, I use a balaclava with the helmet but I've never had an issue with any other helmet before.

I even sent it to the SMK factory but they report there is nothing wrong with it.
Old 10th March 2023, 22:55   #3701
Team-BHP Support

An update on the pinlock. The glare issue is easily manageable on highways with less opposite traffic.
It's only painful when there are lots of vehicles at the same time in the opposite direction.

The LS2 is more comfortable than my old MT. This is my opinion after a 600 km highway ride.

Last edited by bblost : 10th March 2023 at 22:56.
Old 12th March 2023, 01:11   #3702
Senior - BHPian

Bought the kyt yesterday. This one fit my roundish head the best. Easy to put on and take off, has slots for wearing glasses and installing Bluetooth speakers, quite light at 1450 gms and nice bright graphics. The mt's were just not for my head shape. They're better for people with oval heads. Will buy the dark smoke visor when its in stock.

My head is 56 cms and the small fits like it should. Haven't tried it on the bike yet so will do that today.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20230311_214411.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20230311_214359.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20230311_214431.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20230311_214438.jpg  

straight6 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 00:19   #3703
BHPian

I have never used a peaked helmet (not sure of the nomenclature but maybe dualsport/helmet with sunshade). My recent ride I was not wearing sunglasses as I had started when it was dark. The sun was causing lot of irritation as it was directly falling on my eyes. I tilted my head down so that the helmet shade covers my eyes.

Wanted to know how others handle this scenario? Years ago I never felt this as much of an issue. Is buying a new helmet with peak the only option left? (I have strategically planned my next few rides starting towards west, returns I always start a bit late so at that time facing east will not cause sun to hit the eyes directly)
Old 15th March 2023, 00:37   #3704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterChief007 View Post
Wanted to know how others handle this scenario?
Buy a helmet which accommodates wearing of sunglasses or a helmet with an inbuilt sun visor.

I have a Scorpion EXO 490 with an inbuilt sun visor which makes life comfortable by flipping the sun visor down when required. I find this better than carrying sun glasses all the time.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 18:19   #3705
BHPian

Received my super meteor Royal Enfield helmet today. It weighs 1400g and looks like of good quality from inside
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_7127.jpeg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_7126.jpeg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_7125.jpeg  

chaudharysaab is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks