Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2023, 17:10   #3706
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

I have a helmet which is very close to my heart - it was a gift from my dad and has been on several trips with me over the past seven years, from Kanyakumari to Kashmir. Despite a few scratches, it's still in good condition.

For me, finding a helmet that fits well takes a long time, so I'm not looking for a new one. However, I would like to give my existing helmet a new look with a good design or wrapping. I've checked out a few sticking shops in Chennai near Thousand Lights, but all they could do is stick a few ready-made stickers, which don't look good. Is there any shop that can give my helmet a fresh look using custom stickers and wraps?
Old 25th March 2023, 18:05   #3707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
I have a helmet which is very close to my heart - it was a gift from my dad and has been on several trips with me over the past seven years, from Kanyakumari to Kashmir. Despite a few scratches, it's still in good condition.
Completely understand your sentimental attachment with the helmet, please do have it refurbished and keep it as a remembrance but do not use it anymore. Helmets are for our protection and do not serve the purpose if they are refurbished in any manner or form (stickers etc) and used.

If it’s completed seven years, it’s time to get a new helmet. I am sure your Father would want you to ride safe and be well protected.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 25th March 2023 at 18:09.
Cyborg is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 11:34   #3708
BHPian

I bought a Suomy helmet a while ago.
The visor unfortunately got scratched quite a bit & I'm looking for a replacement. Much appreciate any leads.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-pxl_20230326_0602097312.jpg
Old 26th March 2023, 21:08   #3709
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
I bought a Suomy helmet a while ago.
The visor unfortunately got scratched quite a bit & I'm looking for a replacement. Much appreciate any leads.
Attachment 2433189
shyamg28, those visor scratches look really deep. How did it manage to pick up those major scratches? Regular / rough day to day handling? Or a minor spill? I hope the visor quality is up to par with other helmets in the segment.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 22:35   #3710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
shyamg28, those visor scratches look really deep. How did it manage to pick up those major scratches? Regular / rough day to day handling? Or a minor spill? I hope the visor quality is up to par with other helmets in the segment.
Hey @neil.jericho, it was a minor fall from seat to the ground, which caused this. The visor quality is decent I think. I do not have good reference points unfortunately.
I have to say though, this helmet is superior in terms of comfort to my previous MT helmet. And also quieter because of better padding. Overall, quite a decent purchase so far. The biggest issue I have is availability of parts such as Pinlock inserts and visor itself
shyamg28 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 23:08   #3711
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
Hey @neil.jericho, it was a minor fall from seat to the ground, which caused this. The visor quality is decent I think. I do not have good reference points unfortunately.
I have to say though, this helmet is superior in terms of comfort to my previous MT helmet. And also quieter because of better padding. Overall, quite a decent purchase so far. The biggest issue I have is availability of parts such as Pinlock inserts and visor itself
Several years ago, I bought a nice HJC helmet. Within a few months, I had the opportunity to personally crash test the helmet, even if it was only at low speeds. Who needs ECE and SHARP and ISI ratings, when you can do your own testing My head did bounce off the road, when I fell. The helmet did a stellar job in keeping my head safe but it picked up scratches (from my head smacking into the road) that were exactly the same as the ones on your Suomy helmet. Since it had done its job, I thanked my stars, mumbled a few extra prayers and discarded the HJC helmet.

Hence, Im really puzzled that your helmet visor picked up similar scratches just by falling from the bike to the ground. This could potentially point to some manufacturing issue, which, in the larger scheme of things, seems improbable. Till date, I havent heard any complaints about Suomy helmets in India. Hence, this level of damage from a straight forward drop is simply bewildering.

Anyways, Ill keep an eye out for Suomy spares and will update you if I can find it here.

On second thoughts, if your helmet sustained this damage in a simple drop, I suspect that the helmets integrity has already been compromised. I usually dont recommend that enthusiasts replace their helmet just because it fell to the ground. However, your case is most unusual. My suggestion would be to avoid taking a risk in matters such as this. It would probably be best to get yourself a replacement helmet at the earliest.
neil.jericho is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 14:01   #3712
//R

I bought a Lake Blue RE Himalayan back in June of 2020 which, as per RE's ongoing promotions, came with a 3k store voucher. I had been using a basic Vega helmet at the time of purchase and the store voucher only got used in 2021 when I bought the RE Escapade helmet that matched well with the bike. However comfortable the helmet might have been, it misses out on the safety aspect big time. I've decided to keep the current helmet strictly for street/city use (which is barely anything as the bike is mostly used for touring and breakfast rides only).

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_1761.jpg

Lately, I've been educating myself about road safety and safety gears, hence, tha need for a safer helmet for touring has arisen. There are a few things that I'm looking for in my next helmet which has to have:
1. Pinlock visor (70 > 30); preferably pre-installed from factory
2. ECE certification (preferably 22.06); SHARP would be a bonus
3. A wide field of vision. The Escapade is very good at this.
4. Good ventilation. I have a tall, aftermarket windshield installed on the Himalayan now which cuts a lot of wind already and I end up sweating a lot in even mild summers.
5. Decent noise isolation. I know this is in contradiction with the previous point but still putting this here to rule out helmets which are notoriously noisy.
6. Light weight. The current helmet is a 1500g ± 50g and I don't think I'm willing to get a heavier helmet than this.
7. Internal sun visor; although this is not mandatory.

I had planned to spend about 7k on a modular SMK helmet a couple months ago but since then I have started using a hydration bag on trips to fix the need for a modular helmet's convenience and the possible compromise on safety along with the extra weight of a modular system made me think otherwise. Welcoming any/all thoughts and recommendations on this, the budget can be stretched up to 10-12k. Thanks in advance.
//R is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 21:35   #3713
BHPian

I am in dilemma between the FF800 and the SMK Titan. Will go out and check them out in the store soon. Also planning to get a touring jacket too (I currently use a 10 year old DSG nero). Slowly updating my motorcycle wardrobe !!
masterChief007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 12:17   #3714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterChief007 View Post
I am in dilemma between the FF800 and the SMK Titan.
Got the FF800 instead of the Titan, Titan small - was too small and M was a bit loose with motion between head and Helmet. Got hold of the FF800 Medium size, though a little above the budget I was looking for but fit, finish, comfort and familiarity won. It definitely is an upgrade to my current LS2 350.

Looks wise suddenly I am handsome with the LS2's sunshade visor on without which I am questionable
masterChief007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 00:37   #3715
BHPian

Are AGV helmets really that light weight and noiseless as the reviews make it out to be? I use a Axor Apex and considering an AGV K3/4/5. Please help with your suggestions. Budget is around 20k. I wear glasses, hence an easier to operate criteria is helpful.
Old 2nd April 2023, 15:03   #3716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
Are AGV helmets really that light weight and noiseless as the reviews make it out to be? I use a Axor Apex and considering an AGV K3/4/5. Please help with your suggestions. Budget is around 20k. I wear glasses, hence an easier to operate criteria is helpful.
I own a K1 Mugello, eyewear compatible, and though it weighs ~1500gms; it doesnt feel heavy while wearing. As for noise, I use and recommend wearing earplugs for highway use.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 2nd April 2023 at 15:05.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 08:46   #3717
Team-BHP Support

Sometime last year when I had taken the Multi to track I needed a full face helmets. With no options to buy any high quality (track compliant - i.e. full face, double D ring etc) lids in India at the time, I chanced upon a 5+ year old used helmet lying with Performance Racing at Tardeo - an ARAI RX 7V that I purchased off them since I was very close to my track day. While it is noisier than the super quiet Schuberth modular (a brilliant choice for touring), it is MUCH lighter than both the Schuberth as well as the sports touring Shoei. It is also the only helmet that I can actually take to track on the rare occasions that I might want to continue with track days. The experience was excellent but it was an old helmet (complete with musty interiors) so I had decided to buy myself a newer Arai whenever I go overseas next.

On a recent trip to Singapore, I finally managed to squeeze out the time to buy the same model (Asian edition so RX 7X). Amongst the graphics available, I loved the Isle of Man TT edition the most - cost me a little extra over the other graphics but I just loved the graphics scheme of this particular lid. Purchased it at the Chiap Lee store. Unfortunately they don’t have any proper online catalogue so you have no choice but to see their stock AT the store instead of pre selecting before travelling.

I also purchased an extra visor - one with the dark tinted over layer outside it. So I have the original visor as spare and I’ve changed over to the extra visor that I purchased. Since ARAI philosophically does not believe in the internal dark visor set up for safety reason, it has this version of a visor where the dark tint is an external drop down.

Overall, its a known lid for me, having used the pre owned RX 7V for a bit so the purchase decision on the model and size was relatively easy. I am though still breaking into this piece since its got brand new padding. For long haul touring though my preferred choices would still generally be the Shoei adventure touring or alternately the Schuberth C4 pro.

For comm systems, I’ve transferred my old Sena 30S from the used ARAI to this one.

The stop gap ARAI that I used for a little over 8 months.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-d8036844d3494b75830dc421cc5da2c3.jpeg

The recently purchased RX 7X. First few pics when it was barely just unboxed.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-3eebb4b66ccc44dca3f996e672f6fc4e.jpeg

My first long’ish ride with the RX 7X - from a Sunday ride to Jawhar.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-cdfc732b73994e748d8c4615e47d7442.jpeg

Last edited by Axe77 : 18th April 2023 at 14:04. Reason: I had the wrong idea of the age of the used helmet. Its ~6 yrs old as of when I bought it. Simply discarding it now.
Axe77 is online now   (31) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 12:54   #3718
BHPian

I have been quite satisfied with the MT Targo Truck bought around seven months back. It's a little on the heavier side but manageable. Since I always ride with ear plugs wind noise has never been an issue for me. One big problem is that it does have speaker slots for Sena, I was still using it but not comfortably.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-helmets5.jpeg

Two weeks back went to Thailand for vacation and got home a AGV K6 (it was very unplanned as the MT is still new) from the store 786 in Bangkok. The helmet is extremely light weight, and the inner padding is very comfortable when compared to the MT. I opted for size M Asian Fit and it is perfect for my headsize. There are speaker slots also present for my Sena. Just started using it will share a full review post some more rides. The MT now takes the duty of city runabouts.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-helmets3.jpeg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-helmets4.jpeg
First day after bug smashing.

The store is like candy land for us bikers, they have great options for both Arai and AGV.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-helmets1.jpeg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-helmets2.jpeg

Last edited by .sourov : 18th April 2023 at 12:55. Reason: spelling
.sourov is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 21:18   #3719
BHPian

Any issues with customs at Indian airport while bringing it back? How'd you pack it?
Old 18th April 2023, 21:25   #3720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
Any issues with customs at Indian airport while bringing it back? How'd you pack it?
You can easily carry a helmet back, majority of the time they won't even bother. To be on safer side, throw the boxes and hand carry it in the helmet bag, you can always say that you had taken it along with you from here, in case you are stopped.

I have generally found that Bangalore Customs is very relaxed and accomodating.
AtheK is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks