Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2022, 12:49   #3586
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Which would be the most comfortable full face helmet below 5k for a budget rider? (Yes my head is valuable to compromise on helmet price, but just wanted to know options)
My ride : Jupiter
Riding style : not above 60
vinuchel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 19:12   #3587
BHPian

Today I bought MT Thunder 4 Goblin (ECE 22.06) helmet from Powersports, HSR layout, Bangalore. I installed Pinlock from the same shop. Total wallet damage: 15.5K including the Pinlock which is around 2.5K. I have AXXIS helmet but I don't trust it. It is very flimsy and don't want to use it for highway runs. There are not many options to select ECE 22.06 helmets. There were only MT 4 helmets with ECE 22.06 available in the shop and only one design for my head size. Even though I am not a fan of this graphic design I have bought it. I will use the AXXIS for local runs.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-1.jpg

ISI sticker. I don't know why they are not printing it. If police catch one will have tough time to explain it.
Both helmets have ISI sticker only.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-2.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-3.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-4.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-5.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-6.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-7.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-8.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-9.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-10.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-11.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-12.jpg

Last edited by amvj : 13th November 2022 at 19:16.
amvj is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 20:30   #3588
BHPian

A friend booked RE Hunter last week and wanted to buy a helmet before the bike is delivered in the next month or so. With a budget of 10K, I recommended LS2 Storm FF800 and found that it was in stock at Moto ProGear in HSR Layout. Went there to check it out and that's when we realized that it neither has ECE certification nor DOT! I then checked the official website of LS2 India and did not find any mention of ECE or DOT certification for the FF800 helmets. With just an ISI certification, we got a little skeptical and returned back empty-handed. The explanation we got from the salesperson is that the helmets are ECE certified in Europe but we haven't received those stocks in India yet.
Can anyone confirm if this is true? I found it strange for a relatively premium lid like this one not to have ECE or DOT certifications while much cheaper SMKs, Axxis, and Axors have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
ISI sticker. I don't know why they are not printing it. If police catch one will have tough time to explain it.
Both helmets have ISI sticker only.
I also noticed the ISI stickers on MT helmets and asked this question to the salesperson of Powersports, he responded that the police will only check the CM/L number printed under the ISI mark and that will tell them the exact helmet model, thereby confirming if the ISI homologation is genuine or not. Makes sense to me but not sure how the police will react on seeing just a sticker. Like will they even bother to verify the CM/L number at all and just dismiss the sticker as fake?
CptSlow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 10:44   #3589
BHPian

Quote:
With a budget of 10K, I recommended LS2 Storm FF800 and found that it was in stock at Moto ProGear in HSR Layout. Went there to check it out and that's when we realized that it neither has ECE certification nor DOT!
Since ECE & DOT mean nothing in India (from the PoV of lawmakers), it's not prominently displayed on the outside. However, you can recognize an ECE approved helmet from the label on the chin strap. The label will show an E followed by a number. The number indicates where the helmet has been tested, but doesn't mean that you can wear it only in that country. Here's a pic of the label on my LS2 FF800 - It says E1 which means that it has been tested in Germany. Similarly, my Airoh helmet has an E3 code, which means that it has been tested in Italy. You can check the image below for all the E codes.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-e1.jpg  

Attached Images

SilverMachine is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 14:48   #3590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuchel View Post
Which would be the most comfortable full face helmet below 5k for a budget rider? (Yes my head is valuable to compromise on helmet price, but just wanted to know options)
My ride : Jupiter
Riding style : not above 60
At this price, the Axor Street and the Axor Apex helmets are your best bet. If you can stretch by 1000Rs, then you can consider the MT Hummer as well, although if you require the pinlock visor, then you will have to shell out 2k extra whereas the Axors come with it pre-installed.
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 08:16   #3591
BHPian

Quote:
Even though I am not a fan of this graphic design I have bought it.
Although looks are subjective, I think the design looks quite good without being too bright. Having said that, it's always good to have a bright-colored helmet, so that you are 'more' visible to other drivers/riders on the road.

Quote:
Like will they even bother to verify the CM/L number at all and just dismiss the sticker as fake?
It took me 15 mins to figure out how to search for the CM/L number on the BIS site, doesn't seem to be a very user-friendly place. But then, I expected nothing less from a govt site.... Check the image below for the findings.

So you are probably right. If it does come down to it, cops probably won't bother checking any websites for CM/L. It's easier to just reject the sticker as false and move on to the next one.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-isi-mt.png  

SilverMachine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 09:24   #3592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSlow View Post
Can anyone confirm if this is true? I found it strange for a relatively premium lid like this one not to have ECE or DOT certifications while much cheaper SMKs, Axxis, and Axors have them.
Since ECE & DOT mean nothing in India (from the PoV of lawmakers), it's not prominently displayed on the outside. However, you can recognize an ECE approved helmet from the label on the chin strap. The label will show an E followed by a number. The number indicates where the helmet has been tested, but doesn't mean that you can wear it only in that country. Here's a pic of the label on my LS2 FF800 - It says E1 which means that it has been tested in Germany. Similarly, my Airoh helmet has an E3 code, which means that it has been tested in Italy. You can check the image below for all the E codes.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-e1.jpg  

Attached Images

SilverMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 09:48   #3593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post

Even though I am not a fan of this graphic design I have bought it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSlow View Post

Like will they even bother to verify the CM/L number at all and just dismiss the sticker as fake?
Check out post #3591. I forgot to quote your handles while replying.
SilverMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 21:03   #3594
BHPian

I’ve been using a MT Thunder 3 for 4 years now (including 1yr of lockdown) for ~25k kms. Planning on getting another full face helmet. I’ll use this new one for a mix of highway and city rides with highway runs being limited to 4-500kms in a month. The AXXOR Venomous line looks just perfect for my need. The other one in this budget range is MT Hummer though it misses out on the sun visor and pin lock visor. I wear specs and hence find the sun visor very helpful.

Both lids are DOT and ECE certified but the axxor appears to be more feature rich.

Which one would the helmet gurus suggest?
GreyNomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 10:39   #3595
BHPian

I got myself the MT Thunder 4 SV for daily city commutes. Lack of options meant only LS2 or MT to choose from. Picked the MT over the LS2 Storm FF800 only for the ECE 22.06 safety standard of the MT.

Pros
- Overall build quality of the helmet is OK for this price range.
- Visor can be changed easily
- Cheek pads have quick release tabs
- ECE 22.06 rating
- Made in India

Cons
-The sun visor mechanism is not smooth. It stops about an inch short of the final position if you move the lever gently. Only way to get it all the way down is to push it back up and then down again with force.

- There are sharp corners and an edge on the inside at the back of the helmet. These are covered with flimsy liner padding. After about 20 mins this has started digging into my head causing severe pain which necessitates taking off the helmet for a while. Hoping this changes after the break in period.

The LS2 Storm felt to be a much more comfortable helmet and it also comes with a Pinlock included in the box. Lack of good colour options available with the dealer and the older safety rating made me choose the MT but now I'm rethinking this purchase!
mac13 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 18:31   #3596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyNomad View Post
I’ve been using a MT Thunder 3 for 4 years now (including 1yr of lockdown) for ~25k kms. Planning on getting another full face helmet.

Both lids are DOT and ECE certified but the axxor appears to be more feature rich.

Which one would the helmet gurus suggest?
Once you have used MT Thunder, you'll find that the internals of Axor are just not that well put together (compared to MT). I've used both so I am qualified to provide my opinion on this. Also, Axor will give you Pinlock 30, which messes with your 'line-of-sight' due to it's small size.

Why don't you try the MT Revenge or MT Blade 2? They will definitely be a step higher than Thunder. Of course, you'll have to spend extra on Pinlock 70, but it's worth the extra dough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac13 View Post
I got myself the MT Thunder 4 SV for daily city commutes.
- There are sharp corners and an edge on the inside at the back of the helmet. These are covered with flimsy liner padding. After about 20 mins this has started digging into my head causing severe pain which necessitates taking off the helmet for a while. Hoping this changes after the break in period.

The LS2 Storm felt to be a much more comfortable helmet and it also comes with a Pinlock included in the box. Lack of good color options available with the dealer and the older safety rating made me choose the MT but now I'm rethinking this purchase!
The 'break-in' period doesn't really have a range, it depends on your unique head-shape and the helmet internals. My Airoh helmet still makes my ears bleed, well almost, after 18 months of usage. Have you tried using a balaclava? That usually solves such problems or should at least reduce the impact.

You are one of the few people with an ECE 22.06 helmet, sort of an 'early adopter'. Sure, you paid extra for it, but you can be assured that you got the good stuff early on. ECE has stopped accepting any more applications for 22.05 which means that for new designs, only 22.06 will be applicable. Once all manufacturers start selling 22.06 helmets, your helmet won't be so 'special'. But till then, be proud of your early adopter status.
SilverMachine is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 14:32   #3597
BHPian

New Helmet Alert

Helmet choices:

LS2 Storm FF800 - Too wide at base, didn't connect with LS2 but still I'll recommend this lid over others for an all-rounder helmet with internal SV.

MT Thunder 4 SV - Gap below SV, heavier, external spoiler.

KYT TT Course - Not at the level of others. Checked it out only for Leopard racing graphics!

MT Revenge2 - New graphics sealed the deal, double D rings, integrated spoiler!

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20221120_11003101.jpeg

This is just an introduction and initial impressions after a 200+ km weekend ride.
- Well balanced
- 2 top air intake vents
- no pressure points, cheeks are squeezed a bit but that's how it's supposed to be
- Chin curtain comes below the chin
- Wearing the helmet is easy but while taking off the chin curtain catches my nose! I've to adapt to a different style for taking off the lid
- My specs fit well inside
- Noise (with ear plugs) is very less till 80kmph, 80-100kmph noise increases a bit
- Much cooler air now, so ventilation is not an issue

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20221120_10241801.jpeg

Will update with a longer usage.

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz

Last edited by libranof1987 : 22nd November 2022 at 10:52. Reason: Typo
surjaonwheelz is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 16:49   #3598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMachine View Post
Have you tried using a balaclava?
Yes, I've tried the helmet with and without a balaclava but that part of the helmet continues to cause pain with both. I agree with you in that its probably the head shape causing an uncomfortable fit. My previous helmet, an HJC RPHA, was a perfect fit.

The ISI requirement for helmets has restricted choices severely. There's hardly any choice beyond LS2 and MT.
mac13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 22:15   #3599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac13 View Post
Yes, I've tried the helmet with and without a balaclava but that part of the helmet continues to cause pain with both. I agree with you in that its probably the head shape causing an uncomfortable fit. My previous helmet, an HJC RPHA, was a perfect fit.

The ISI requirement for helmets has restricted choices severely. There's hardly any choice beyond LS2 and MT.

From my personal experience, there is nothing that you can do except for switching to a different helmet.
My senior gifted me his LS2 FF310 which used to come with Bluetooth device. I was ecstatic as I was in dire need of one good helmet. But my happiness didn’t last for even 10kms. I started having severe ear pain(pressure point). Over the course of few days, I realised that it was the speakers. Tried changing position but wasn’t fruitful. So finally I had to remove them. Even after that there was still a reminiscent of that pressure point around ear which creates uneasiness. Finally I had to buy a new one.

I hope you find a satisfactory solution to your problem.
NTab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 13:26   #3600
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Few Months back i bought a Axor Apex helmet.

Its fine as far as the fit and finish is considered however i have noticed issues with its sound isolation.

Was just using it for short rides all this time until i took it out for a 100km breakfast ride few days back, this thing is literally a Sound Box, on a open highway at 80-100kmph all i could hear was wind noise at times with a whistling tone.

Had never faced this in past 8-10years till i was using LS2, planning to get earbuds soon.

Wanted to know experience of other Axor users, if its same across the brand or something specific to Apex variant.
Attached Images

Gaur is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks