Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2020, 00:41   #2956
HTC
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeDevil44 View Post
I’m planning on asking my friend who’s returning from the US to get the Scorpoion Exo-T1200 for me. Any reviews or feedback on that particular model or any suggestion for a better one that would cost under $200. I was basically scrolling through stuffs on Revzilla.
Thank you.
See if you get any closeout or last chance bargains on
Motorcyclegear.com

This is a good website too.
HTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 14:27   #2957
BHPian

Hi guys.
I was checking for modular helmets and HJC modular is not in stock anywhere. Biking spirit is offering Scorpion 920 at 16K. Is it worth the price and how is the quality ?
Old 5th October 2020, 11:01   #2958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark63 View Post
Hi guys.
I was checking for modular helmets and HJC modular is not in stock anywhere. Biking spirit is offering Scorpion 920 at 16K. Is it worth the price and how is the quality ?
Yes, HJC helmets stocks are not replenished this year it seems. Some stores say they'll get new stock only in 2021.
Scorpion 920 at 16K, is worth considering but do check the date of manufacture/import. In addition, consider the Bell MX-9 Adventure MIPS helmet if available in that range.

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 5th October 2020 at 11:05.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 21:28   #2959
BHPian

Hi,

Planning to visit either Karol Bagh or Spartanpro gear this weekend to shop for lids.

The budget for now is 5k(each), looking for a safe, bright full face lid for two of us, DOT+ECE min.

Secondary requirements: multiple vents, Bluetooth headset, removable liner.

Axxis Draken and MT revenge comes up after briefly reading the thread.

Any recommendations, I can stretch my budget a bit, can’t compromise on safety.

TIA
Old 8th October 2020, 08:55   #2960
BHPian

Try Axor RR3 helmets if your budget is around 3k.I bought one recently, and it's good.
Old 8th October 2020, 10:35   #2961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
Hi,

Planning to visit either Karol Bagh or Spartanpro gear this weekend to shop for lids.

The budget for now is 5k(each), looking for a safe, bright full face lid for two of us, DOT+ECE min.

TIA
Get the MT Helmet’s Targo Range. I got mine for around 6.5k. They offer excellent fit and quality levels are food. It ticks everything you want except the bluetooth function. That you have to purchase. Bluetooth + safe helmets are not cheap and you usually need to fit a bluetooth yourself. For Bluetooth, you can look at SENA Bluetooth.

For shops, you can go to Riderz Planet (MG Road) and High Note performance Chattarpur. Riderz planet is also there in Karol Bagh but that store is very minuscule and doesn’t have a lot of options. Better visit the MG road place, that store is huge. Best of luck and do check the size well.
Schneller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 12:51   #2962
BHPian

Thanks nishkamm and Schneller for the response. I will keep the recos in mind while checking the options out.

For bluetooth connection, I actually meant that the Helmet inner lining/padding should have space for accommodating bluetooth headset. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneller View Post
Get the MT Helmet’s Targo Range. I got mine for around 6.5k. They offer excellent fit and quality levels are food.
Old 8th October 2020, 14:00   #2963
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
Hi,

TIA
From a price to safety quotient the MT is great value for money in that price segment. Revenge is one of the best models you can pick. At the next price segment I would say scorpion provides tremendous value for the kind of safety standard it has.
Old 10th October 2020, 16:40   #2964
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Here are some pictures. The helmet looks superb in person. It has a Matt finish , with a stylish paint scheme.
Thanks to your review I found this was available in India and I also picked the same helmet this week. It is very vfm product, I always wanted a modular Adv helmet and this ticked all the boxes. Modular, sun visor, pin lock, provision for headset and last but not least the safety rating. Checked with Spartan over phone and they suggested I try it at one of the stores in Bangalore. Went to Motonation HSR tried it on and I loved it, paid the MRP of 21500 INR and lid is mine.

Super silent compared to my old Arai and good visibility also in comparison. If I were to crib, it would be tight gap at chin area and lack of colour choice in India. I would have wished for an all white or high visibility colour. But no regrets, quality is A+ and super convenient. I believe it would be slightly warmer in summer, but that is a good compromise for the excellent sound insulation and comfort otherwise.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 22:58   #2965
BHPian

Friends, I have a 6 month old MT Helmet with Stinger shell. For obvious reasons I could not "test ride" the helmet while purchasing. It's a very good looking helmet with a comfortable fit. Where the problem lies is the WIND NOISE! You can hear the wind howl at anything over 60 to 70 speeds and it goes up exponentially if there are cross winds. I have tried taping up all the vents but to no relief. My previous helmet was an LS2 which was scarily quiet!

A personal recommendation at this stage would be to do your research on wind noise levels before purchasing any helmet and more specifically avoid MT Stinger from spartan pro gear.

I ride an fz25 just for perspective. I am still researching various means before giving up the helmet(used only twice). My next experiment will be riding with a balaclava - I am trying to avoid earbuds to avoid killing all ambient noise(other vehicles horn). I'll also try installing a lluvia windshield to reduce wind noise.

If any of you have found some solution to the above issue please do share information. Also I will soon start looking for quieter helmets in the 6 to 8k range - please share if you have any recommendation friends.
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 23:10   #2966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
I would like to go for Full face helmets, not modular. I believe modular carries additional weight.

Budget though not a constraint, but would not like to be extravagant. It would be my primary one so need a good safe, light & less noisy helmet.

That's why inclined towards Schuberth. But under current scenario don't know when & where, it is possible to procure it. Thanks for the information of store @ Andheri, Mumbai.

Vlogger Sriman Kotaru uses a Schuberth and he swears by its accoustics( less noisy). Also Mumbiker Nikhil, he has bought a Schuberth E1 from London. Both are modular, I believe.
I would suggest you to look into models which has passed FIM-homologation. Safer the better
kozhissery is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 10:30   #2967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Bharadwaj View Post
I am trying to avoid earbuds to avoid killing all ambient noise(other vehicles horn).
This is not true, ear plugs don't kill ambient noise, they reduce them. Rides will become much more pleasant. Get familiar with a pair of ear plugs before riding out. Human brain is much more superior in adapting to the lower ambient noise. Without them the continuous air stream (noise) causes more damage to the ear. Wear balaclava for sweat management. A super quiet helmet will be very stuffy (hot) in our conditions unless you get a Schuberth! Try using cotton in your ears to start with but first thing you've get it out of your mind that you'll turn deaf using ear plugs!

/surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 20:40   #2968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
This is not true, ear plugs don't kill ambient noise, they reduce them. Rides will become much more pleasant. Get familiar with a pair of ear plugs before riding out. Human brain is much more superior in adapting to the lower ambient noise. Without them the continuous air stream (noise) causes more damage to the ear. Wear balaclava for sweat management. A super quiet helmet will be very stuffy (hot) in our conditions unless you get a Schuberth! Try using cotton in your ears to start with but first thing you've get it out of your mind that you'll turn deaf using ear plugs!

/surjaonwheelz
Point taken on using the earbuds. Have ordered many pairs of 3m ones and will try them on my next ride! Having said that, if there are still options for quieter helmets around 6 to 8K range I would love to explore them at least for colder weather or when I need more peace
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 13:28   #2969
Distinguished - BHPian

I completely agree with surjaonwheelz when it comes to earbuds. I too am a big fan of the 3M earbuds and I always keep extra pairs in my riding jackets, riding pants, bags etc. One trick that I employ is to just put a little bit of water on the ear plugs before re-using them. This makes them soft and allows them to go inside your ear canal properly and completely. So essentially they slide into your ear and expand into it leaving no space for excess noise to filter in.

Without this technique, I used to find it reducing noise to a lesser extent, probably due to improperly sitting in the ear canal.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 02:25   #2970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
One trick that I employ is to just put a little bit of water on the ear plugs before re-using them. This makes them soft and allows them to go inside your ear canal properly and completely. So essentially they slide into your ear and expand into it leaving no space for excess noise to filter in.

Without this technique, I used to find it reducing noise to a lesser extent, probably due to improperly sitting in the ear canal.
Thank you for the pro tip sir! Will try with the plain earbuds and if I need to cut off more DB will moisten it a bit as advised. Many thanks
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks